This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csulapredental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously I have watched chads ochem and been doing destroyer and at this point I feel like I'm just memorizing how things look and shapes and it doesn't feel right. i don't know any concept behind things that I'm doing. I'm thinking of re-watching all of chads? my test is in a month.. do i have time to waste on re watching chad? what y'all think.. i can't just get by memorizing reactions and how things "look" theres more to it.....

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously I have watched chads ochem and been doing destroyer and at this point I feel like I'm just memorizing how things look and shapes and it doesn't feel right. i don't know any concept behind things that I'm doing. I'm thinking of re-watching all of chads? my test is in a month.. do i have time to waste on re watching chad? what y'all think.. i can't just get by memorizing reactions and how things "look" theres more to it.....

I watched chads videos over and over again even a week before the test. Are you using the dat destroyer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Organic chem is not about memorizing. Its about understanding how electrons move. Focus on why the mechanism works as opposed to i put A with B and get C. All reactions are just tools, always remember to de-compartmentalize or the subject will get the better of you very quickly. Make sure you know the properties of different compounds before jumping into reactions. I found that Paula Bruce was a good book to learn from. If you can get it online, work through solved examples. O-Chem is all about practice and the logic of the electrons.

I watched chads videos over and over again even a week before the test. Are you using the dat destroyer?

YEA i am.. thats the thing is killing me. i keep looking at the back of the book i know nothing i feel like I'm just drawing shapes if the reagent looks familiar . i have no concept behind anythingggg. like if its not put exactly the way chads outline has i wouldn't know how else to apply since I'm just memorizing.. i don't even know if watchings chads again will help me. i was thinking since now I've been exposed to 100 destroyer question maybe things would make sense? idk man

I recommend the "organic chemistry as a second language" books

Reactions: 2 users
Watch Chad's and then do the Destroyer until you get to the point where you vomit when you look at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Watch Chad's and then do the Destroyer until you get to the point where you vomit when you look at it.

I agree... coursesaver was my lifesaver and destroyer was my bible for ochem...
This is what I recommend:

find out what concepts you are weak on destroyer -> master that concept on chad ->(you should still have problems mastering concepts just from chad) -> organic chemistry as a second language ->chad->bible->BC as a final test

Last edited:
I'll second the Ochem as a second language and Chad's videos recommendations. I took the DAT about 5 years after I took Ochem in college, and I didn't have any issue with the Ochem portion (I didn't do too stellar, but I still pulled an 18 or 19)

Yes, rewatch chad's videos until you really understand the concepts. My test only had two actual reactions on it so as much as you should know reactions...you are better off learning the different concepts. (mine had stereochemistry, degrees of unsaturation, aromaticity, and many other concepts that are all covered in Chad's Videos. Best of Luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
People learned differently. For me I did not just watch the explanation, I was rewrite the whole explanation. I only get 20 on ochem but I have 22 TS and AA because my other section is great. So as long as your Ochem is not too bad, you will be fine.