This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jya5ab

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm taking my DAT on July 31, and I plan to study for 10-11 weeks. I am most worried about QR because 1) I haven't taken math since high school and I was never good at word problems, and 2) I've NEVER taken a probability/statistics course before, so I will have to learn that from scratch.

To review for QR, I plan to purchase DAT Bootcamp, and I already have the Math Destroyer. But what is the best way/best resources to LEARN for QR, particularly for prob/stat since I've had no exposure to it at all?

I know many people suggest Khan Academy. I see they have hundreds of videos for prob/stat, divided into diff. subtopics (Statistics and probability | Math | Khan Academy). Are we expected to know ALL of what is shown here? If not, which topics should I focus on for the DAT?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello friend!

I took the DAT 2 days ago and got a 23AA and I remember the QR section the most since it was at the end. I thought the new “statistics” sort of problems with charts and graphs were fairly straightforward! I love them! For my test, they were very basic data interpretation. Now, since every exam is different, take what I say with a grain of salt. I was never good at math either :( But, it's something that guarantees result if you put in the effort.

As for learning, I think Chad does a fairly good job at covering the basics except the new QR sections that were added. But those are fairly easy to prepare for (And Bootcamp updated to prepare for those as well). The topics are Quantative Comparison, Data Sufficiency, and Statistical Analysis. You can find video tutorials on them on YouTube. I brought some GRE Quantative Reasoning workbooks from amazon to practice QC and Data Interpretation.

Amazon product
^ This book should cover the basic of QC and Data interpretation. IMO, the data interpretation was pretty straightforward. It’s basic graph/chart interpretation.

As for data analysis statistics, in my opinion, Chad + Bootcamp + destroyer will prepare you well. I think the best way to prepare for math is practice, practice, practice. After doing many probability questions, you will start to get a feel for them and understand them. I liked stats a lot. Make sure you practice a bit everyday and you will be fine. So, start with chad first, then practice on destroyer/BC and any topic that you are unsure of, find some video for them.

The materials you listed are perfect! BC + Destroyer will prepare you well the section. You have to work for it though!

Also on Khan, I took a look through the subtopics and here’s what I know were important:

- Permutation/Combination
- Mean, Median, Mode
- Population variance and standard deviation
- Normal Distribution
- Categorical Data display
- Range, Interquartile range (IQR)
- Principles/Interests

Again, I think it's best to start running through the Destroyer/BC problems and you will notice some topics are repeated a lot such as:
- Venn Diagram problems
- Basic statistics --> What is the probability of...coins and balls.
- Age problems
- Velocity
- Combined work
etc…(Trig and Geo is still there though, but just less noticeable)

Both of them does a GREAT job at pin-pointing the topics and keep throwing them at you so that you will be prepared for the DAT.

Good luck studying!:horns:

Reactions: 2 users
Math Destroyer really worked for me. To start out, work through each test without worrying about how much time it takes. Adding the pressure of time before you know how to approach each problem does more harm than good. After you finish a test, go back and really understand how to solve each question. The set up, pertinent equations, etc. You want to get to where as soon as you read a problem, you automatically know how to go about finding the answer (not the answer itself). After going through at least 5 or 6 of the tests (one a day or every other day) then go back and do the same tests with a timer. Adding the clock will really help you recall the information quickly. Even if you remember the answer to a question, work through it as if you don't. It's a slow process so don't get discouraged if improvement isn't rapid. Flash cards of all the formula's and principles really helped. Looking over them for 5 or 10 minutes before bed each night will work wonders. Best of luck! You'll kill it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello friend!

I took the DAT 2 days ago and got a 23AA and I remember the QR section the most since it was at the end. I thought the new “statistics” sort of problems with charts and graphs were fairly straightforward! I love them! For my test, they were very basic data interpretation. Now, since every exam is different, take what I say with a grain of salt. I was never good at math either :( But, it's something that guarantees result if you put in the effort.

As for learning, I think Chad does a fairly good job at covering the basics except the new QR sections that were added. But those are fairly easy to prepare for (And Bootcamp updated to prepare for those as well). The topics are Quantative Comparison, Data Sufficiency, and Statistical Analysis. You can find video tutorials on them on YouTube. I brought some GRE Quantative Reasoning workbooks from amazon to practice QC and Data Interpretation.

Amazon product
^ This book should cover the basic of QC and Data interpretation. IMO, the data interpretation was pretty straightforward. It’s basic graph/chart interpretation.

As for data analysis statistics, in my opinion, Chad + Bootcamp + destroyer will prepare you well. I think the best way to prepare for math is practice, practice, practice. After doing many probability questions, you will start to get a feel for them and understand them. I liked stats a lot. Make sure you practice a bit everyday and you will be fine. So, start with chad first, then practice on destroyer/BC and any topic that you are unsure of, find some video for them.

The materials you listed are perfect! BC + Destroyer will prepare you well the section. You have to work for it though!

Also on Khan, I took a look through the subtopics and here’s what I know were important:

- Permutation/Combination
- Mean, Median, Mode
- Population variance and standard deviation
- Normal Distribution
- Categorical Data display
- Range, Interquartile range (IQR)
- Principles/Interests

Again, I think it's best to start running through the Destroyer/BC problems and you will notice some topics are repeated a lot such as:
- Venn Diagram problems
- Basic statistics --> What is the probability of...coins and balls.
- Age problems
- Velocity
- Combined work
etc…(Trig and Geo is still there though, but just less noticeable)

Both of them does a GREAT job at pin-pointing the topics and keep throwing them at you so that you will be prepared for the DAT.

Good luck studying!:horns:

WOW, congrats on an awesome score, and thank you so much!! This is extremely helpful. I'm glad to know that the resources I'm buying are totally worth it. Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Math Destroyer really worked for me. To start out, work through each test without worrying about how much time it takes. Adding the pressure of time before you know how to approach each problem does more harm than good. After you finish a test, go back and really understand how to solve each question. The set up, pertinent equations, etc. You want to get to where as soon as you read a problem, you automatically know how to go about finding the answer (not the answer itself). After going through at least 5 or 6 of the tests (one a day or every other day) then go back and do the same tests with a timer. Adding the clock will really help you recall the information quickly. Even if you remember the answer to a question, work through it as if you don't. It's a slow process so don't get discouraged if improvement isn't rapid. Flash cards of all the formula's and principles really helped. Looking over them for 5 or 10 minutes before bed each night will work wonders. Best of luck! You'll kill it.

Awesome. I will definitely be taking your advice on how to use the Math Destroyer. Thank you!

Hello!

I'm taking my DAT on July 31, and I plan to study for 10-11 weeks. I am most worried about QR because 1) I haven't taken math since high school and I was never good at word problems, and 2) I've NEVER taken a probability/statistics course before, so I will have to learn that from scratch.

To review for QR, I plan to purchase DAT Bootcamp, and I already have the Math Destroyer. But what is the best way/best resources to LEARN for QR, particularly for prob/stat since I've had no exposure to it at all?

I know many people suggest Khan Academy. I see they have hundreds of videos for prob/stat, divided into diff. subtopics (Statistics and probability | Math | Khan Academy). Are we expected to know ALL of what is shown here? If not, which topics should I focus on for the DAT?

Thanks!!

If you're weak in QR start with the basics then Khan Academy is a good source. You may also consider buying a high school algebra book that covers stats and probabilities. Some algebra high school books also cover a ton of word problems. ( Some students learn better from books others from videos)
Once you mastered the basics, tackle the math destroyer, and try to find the best way for you to solve problems. A single problem can be solved different ways, stick with the way you're more comfortable with and then start working on speed. Once you have done a lot of problems, you'll see that there's a " pattern" to solving some type of problems.

As far as stats and probabilities, khanacademy is little over kill. Just understand the basics.
Once you have mastered the basics , start working through the Math Destroyer. Make sure to do ALL the problems

If you're weak in QR start with the basics then Khan Academy is a good source. You may also consider buying a high school algebra book that covers stats and probabilities. Some algebra high school books also cover a ton of word problems. ( Some students learn better from books others from videos)
Once you mastered the basics, tackle the math destroyer, and try to find the best way for you to solve problems. A single problem can be solved different ways, stick with the way you're more comfortable with and then start working on speed. Once you have done a lot of problems, you'll see that there's a " pattern" to solving some type of problems.

As far as stats and probabilities, khanacademy is little over kill. Just understand the basics.
Once you have mastered the basics , start working through the Math Destroyer. Make sure to do ALL the problems

Great advice. Thank you so much. :)