DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DoctorMom can't you come to my school instead of silly TN ;)

LOL! Nope, my heart is at DCOM, although I am sure we would have fun.;) :D

Members don't see this ad.

You will be there in a year. I am sure of it.:) :luck: My final is May 15, so I have a little longer than you do, but it will be over soon enough.:D

LOL... now i have to live up to what you said...oh i still have phys and gen chem finals on 15th and 17th. Orgo is on the 8th though. And then my day zero on 31:scared:....acctually i meant :love: :love: of course i do...who wouldn't love the MCRAPPY:love:
*turns three time to north, and prays to the gods of M*

Members don't see this ad :)
I am working temporarily at one of the hospitals you all will have as a clinical site (although I am in Michigan due to a family medical emergency at the moment) and I must say that I am VERY impressed with the hospital's administration and the way they have treated me. I should mention that I'm there because the hospital's normal staff is on strike over a stupid $25 a month increase in insurance premiums, but still I think the people I have delt with are superb and the scenery is quite beautiful for the most part. I highly recommend the ARH hospitals.

BTW DoctorMom, I put in a good word for you with the CEO at the facility and he said he would pass the positive opinion on to his superiors once he has the chance. :D

Hey DKM, can you provide anymore information about the quality of the hospital itself (i.e. # of beds, inpatient/outpatient setting, etc.) Hearing this information from you has only forced me to give ARH a second look, and who better to get this information from than the person working there currently. Thanks.

If the strike is truly over a 25 dollar hike in premiums, they need to get a life.

Hey DKM, can you provide anymore information about the quality of the hospital itself (i.e. # of beds, inpatient/outpatient setting, etc.) Hearing this information from you has only forced me to give ARH a second look, and who better to get this information from than the person working there currently. Thanks.

If the strike is truly over a 25 dollar hike in premiums, they need to get a life.
~130 beds not counting psych (which I think is 20 beds), lots of obstetrics (there were 6 babies born- including a set of twins- during the first 24 hrs I was at the hospital). They are putting in a permanent cath lab and MRI facility, and currently have the mobile rental forms (in semi trailers) on site. The oncology service is quite busy and the hospital has most of the major specialties represented. The lab is very well equipped and the staff are very knowledgable; there is a sleep lab and onsite echocardiography (I'm covering these areas because the director of RT quit over the strike and she was the only qualified echo tech the hospital had who wasn't striking from the get go). When I get back down there in 2 days, I should be more or less the senior therapist for the hospital.

My only complaints are the lack of cell reception (but this is just due to the topography of the area) and one of the elevator is possessed and has a tendency to not want to close its door at times. Other than that, I am very impressed with the facility and the fact that they will be a clinical site for DCOM has secured my ranking DCOM at the #1 DO school that I am looking at.

According to the director of the lab (who is working as a tech on the night shift because most of his techs are out front picketing), it's because of the minor increase in premiums and the fact that the staff is only getting a 1% raise instead of a 2% raise. This is why health care workers should not be allowed to unionize.

~130 beds not counting psych (which I think is 20 beds), lots of obstetrics (there were 6 babies born- including a set of twins- during the first 24 hrs I was at the hospital). They are putting in a permanent cath lab and MRI facility, and currently have the mobile rental forms (in semi trailers) on site. The oncology service is quite busy and they have most of the major specialties represented. The lab is very well equipped and the staff are very knowledgable; there is a sleep lab and onsite echocardiography (I'm covering these areas because the director of RT quit over the strike and she was the only qualified echo tech the hospital had who wasn't striking from the get go). When I get back down there in 2 days, I should be more or less the senior therapist for the hospital.

My only complaints are the lack of cell reception (but this is just due to the topography of the area) and one of the elevator is possessed and has a tendency to not want to close its door at times. Other than that, I am very impressed with the facility and the fact that they will be a clinical site for DCOM has secured my ranking DCOM at the #1 DO school that I am looking at.

Very good info!:thumbup: :D Thanks!

According to the director of the lab (who is working as a tech on the night shift because most of his techs are out front picketing), it's because of the minor increase in premiums and the fact that the staff is only getting a 1% raise instead of a 2% raise. This is why health care workers should not be allowed to unionize.

Who is included in the strike? To nurses and therepists, a $100 bucks a month increase is not that much, but the difference in increase is. To a nurses aide and someone on that level who is making $8 a hour (or less), a $100 increase is a lot. That also means that to someone on that level, a 2% increase would cover the increase and give them a slight raise. But a 1% increase will only cover the increase and not give a raise at all.

Although I see the strikers point, I do not think that hospital employees should be able to strike -especially over this subject.

Drop Kick, are you down there with an agency? Do they need any surgical techs?

Who is included in the strike? To nurses and therepists, a $100 bucks a month increase is not that much, but the difference in increase is. To a nurses aide and someone on that level who is making $8 a hour (or less), a $100 increase is a lot. That also means that to someone on that level, a 2% increase would cover the increase and give them a slight raise. But a 1% increase will only cover the increase and not give a raise at all.

Although I see the strikers point, I do not think that hospital employees should be able to strike -especially over this subject.

Yea, I agree that they shouldn't be able to strike. They are jeopardizing people's lives by doing that. Not good.:(

It is also not fair for the hospitals to take advantage of the workers though, so I don't know what the answer is. However, it doesn't really sound like it was a huge issue in this case.

My philosophy: Don't like your job? Quit!

Employers should not be responsible for catering to demands of employees. Wait, that doesn't even sound right...why should an employee DEMAND something from the entity that enables him/her to put food on the table? What would happen if the hospital just decided to close its doors? Loss of jobs = negative impact on economy ; No local healthcare facility = negative impact on public health. I think those employees should look at the big picture on this one.

I have a different opinion on striking healthcare workers. More than once I've been shafted by a hospital corporation. It's one of the main reasons I work agency or as an independent contractor. I'll post later when I've read up on the story.

My philosophy: Don't like your job? Quit!

Employers should not be responsible for catering to demands of employees. Wait, that doesn't even sound right...why should an employee DEMAND something from the entity that enables him/her to put food on the table? What would happen if the hospital just decided to close its doors? Loss of jobs = negative impact on economy ; No local healthcare facility = negative impact on public health. I think those employees should look at the big picture on this one.

I agree to an extent, but without the employees then the company has no means to provide a service and would cease to exist. The entire process of an employee-employer relationship is one of give and take. It is necessary for the employee to perform to the standards required to effectively carry out his or her duties, but it is also the requirement of the company to provide the employee with adequate compensation for their time as determined between the two. The company is not the all powerful entity that graciously gives them a job, they need the employee as much as the employee needs the company. There are instances of one needed more or less of the other, but it typically is a balance. It is instead a symbiotic relationship that needs to maintain its degree of positives and negatives for both sides to remain a situation worth utilizing. I think the employees of the healthcare industry sometimes do need to look at the broader picture of their responsibilities to the community that they accepted when they got in the field, but not the extent that they allow a company to deny them what they are entitled to. Just my though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know an exact move in date for the Apartments?
And has anyone been around the Harrogate area more so than just the LMU campus? I have just seen the campus and the Apartments. I am just curious about the town. How far away are we from a grocery store or the nearest city?

And has anyone been around the Harrogate area more so than just the LMU campus? I have just seen the campus and the Apartments. I am just curious about the town. How far away are we from a grocery store or the nearest city?

Everything you need is in Middlesboro. Right through the tunnel. It is probably about two miles. No idea on the move-in date though.

FYI for anyone buying a house....

DO NOT USE WATKINS APPRAISAL IN CORBIN, KY!!!! OMG!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: +pissed+

Just trust me on this.:smuggrin:

Harrogate does have grocery stores and a few fast food joints. There are several cities nearby (Kentucky and TN). I know that Knoxville (downtown) is approximately 1.25 hrs away, but the skirt of the city (ie Halls Crossroads) is only 45 min.

FYI for anyone buying a house....

DO NOT USE WATKINS APPRAISAL IN CORBIN, KY!!!! OMG!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: +pissed+

Just trust me on this.:smuggrin:

What is the deal? It seems you are having more trouble buying this house than any of the 3 houses we have bought -combined! I'm sure it is harder from a distance, but it sounds like someone like your realtor is screwing with you.

Late July, I think either the 27th or 29th...

What is the deal? It seems you are having more trouble buying this house than any of the 3 houses we have bought -combined! I'm sure it is harder from a distance, but it sounds like someone like your realtor is screwing with you.

LOL! It has been quite a ride!!! Once we get down there, I am never moving again! I don't ever want to buy another house.:smuggrin: We are supposed to be closing on our end tomorrow, having everything sent overnight to TN, and then they finish everything on Friday. It is not the realtor. Our only real issue has been with the stupid appraisal company.:mad: Very long story....just don't use them.

Wish me luck!:luck:

Or we could have a DCOM Woodstock with everyone camping on your lawn...:D

Sorry Dmom...I'm gonna have to ask you to elaborate.

That appraiser being a pain might be saving you a lot of headaches.

Buying a house isn't all that much fun, is it. ;)

I just want ours sold.

Sorry Dmom...I'm gonna have to ask you to elaborate.

That appraiser being a pain might be saving you a lot of headaches.

Buying a house isn't all that much fun, is it. ;)

I just want ours sold.

LOL! Nope. No fun at all. :smuggrin:

Elaborate....? Well, they did the appraisal on March 19. It was supposed to be back in a week, but apparently they didn't have their FHA number for TN. So, they had to wait for that. Finally, Monday morning it came it. Supposedly, the appraisal was already done, and they just needed that and then they were sending it out. Well, still don't have it now. They were rude on the phone and basically have been jerking everyone around about when we are getting it back. We are going to our end of the closing in about 24 hours. No appraisal means I don't know how much money I need in 24 hours. We had waited on taking the funds out from my husband's 401K because we wanted to know the amount we needed. I finally gave up and sent it in. But, it was really last minute. So, we are still waiting for that check. It will be here today or tomorrow. Don't know when though. If it is tomorrow, I have no idea what we are doing. So, we have no appraisal and no money and are closing in about 24 hours. NICE!:smuggrin:

:laugh: You asked.

LOL! Nope. No fun at all. :smuggrin:

Elaborate....? Well, they did the appraisal on March 19. It was supposed to be back in a week, but apparently they didn't have their FHA number for TN. So, they had to wait for that. Finally, Monday morning it came it. Supposedly, the appraisal was already done, and they just needed that and then they were sending it out. Well, still don't have it now. They were rude on the phone and basically have been jerking everyone around about when we are getting it back. We are going to our end of the closing in about 24 hours. No appraisal means I don't know how much money I need in 24 hours. We had waited on taking the funds out from my husband's 401K because we wanted to know the amount we needed. I finally gave up and sent it in. But, it was really last minute. So, we are still waiting for that check. It will be here today or tomorrow. Don't know when though. If it is tomorrow, I have no idea what we are doing. So, we have no appraisal and no money and are closing in about 24 hours. NICE!:smuggrin:

:laugh: You asked.

This makes me not want to grow up :(

I agree to an extent, but without the employees then the company has no means to provide a service and would cease to exist. The entire process of an employee-employer relationship is one of give and take. It is necessary for the employee to perform to the standards required to effectively carry out his or her duties, but it is also the requirement of the company to provide the employee with adequate compensation for their time as determined between the two. The company is not the all powerful entity that graciously gives them a job, they need the employee as much as the employee needs the company. There are instances of one needed more or less of the other, but it typically is a balance. It is instead a symbiotic relationship that needs to maintain its degree of positives and negatives for both sides to remain a situation worth utilizing. I think the employees of the healthcare industry sometimes do need to look at the broader picture of their responsibilities to the community that they accepted when they got in the field, but not the extent that they allow a company to deny them what they are entitled to. Just my though.

I agree that it is always a give and take symbiotic relationship - that's the way it is with everything in life. My point is that there is always someone, somewhere that will be happy to have the job for the current level of pay. What the employees don't understand is that the hospital is doing good just to be able to give them a raise at all. With overhead increasing in all areas, and reimbursments getting cut regularly, healthcare companies have a very difficult business situation on their hands.

This makes me not want to grow up :(

:laugh: It will all work out in the end and we will have a wonderful house. So, I think it is definitely worth it.

Dr. Leo asked me in my interview how I handle stress. I just laughed and said I have four kids. Well, now I can say I have four kids and a house.:laugh: :smuggrin:

:)

In my experience...this is pretty mild. :) Probably not what you wanted to hear, but for some reason, people in real estate can't seem to get their $hit together.

Why are you using a service out of Corbin for a property in TN?

Good luck...things usually work out.

I agree that it is always a give and take symbiotic relationship - that's the way it is with everything in life. My point is that there is always someone, somewhere that will be happy to have the job for the current level of pay. What the employees don't understand is that the hospital is doing good just to be able to give them a raise at all. With overhead increasing in all areas, and reimbursments getting cut regularly, healthcare companies have a very difficult business situation on their hands.

Insurance companies are the devil!:smuggrin: Someone should go after them.:mad:

In my experience...this is pretty mild. :) Probably not what you wanted to hear, but for some reason, people in real estate can't seem to get their $hit together.

Why are you using a service out of Corbin for a property in TN?

Good luck...things usually work out.

Thanks!:love:

I don't know. The mortgage company did have an FHA appraiser in TN. I don't know where they found that one though.

Yea, my realtor keeps telling me it is not that bad and that things are actually going pretty smoothly. :eek: That makes me even less likely to ever want to buy another house again. I better get the FM residency at UT!:luck:

~130 beds not counting psych (which I think is 20 beds), lots of obstetrics (there were 6 babies born- including a set of twins- during the first 24 hrs I was at the hospital). They are putting in a permanent cath lab and MRI facility, and currently have the mobile rental forms (in semi trailers) on site. The oncology service is quite busy and the hospital has most of the major specialties represented. The lab is very well equipped and the staff are very knowledgable; there is a sleep lab and onsite echocardiography (I'm covering these areas because the director of RT quit over the strike and she was the only qualified echo tech the hospital had who wasn't striking from the get go). When I get back down there in 2 days, I should be more or less the senior therapist for the hospital.

Great information, much appreciated. I asked because where I live, small clinics and "hospitals" are opening up in the innercity areas. Many of them are being worked by doctors who were promised tuition pay-off/bonuses/etc. and while they get these benefits as promised, the hospitals/clinics themselves are severely lacking in technology and resources for docs to do their jobs. This then leads to pissed off/grumpy docs who just basically bill the hell out of their patients for very little procedures done. Hell, I went to one of them because it's close to campus, and got billed $115, in which the doc sat there, talked some bullsh*t, looked at my ankle, didn't x-ray, and said ... "yep, it looks broken, you need to go to an orthopod ..."

My response: "You must be one hot shot doctor if you can tell it's broken without physically examining the ankle nor having an x-ray done ..."

Long story short, it's NOT broken. I love idiot doctors.

As long as the ARH Hospital provides several services of a prototypical hospital, it sounds appealing.

Once again, thanks ... and keep me informed on the hospital setting. It's good to hear that the staff is pretty cool.

glad it's not broken...then we would all know who Dr. I was - the guy on crutches for the 1st day of school :laugh:

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!:eek:

The check just came in and the appraisal is finally done!!!! OMG!!! IS IT REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN!?!?!:scared: :scared: :scared: :eek:

:luck:

glad it's not broken...then we would all know who Dr. I was - the guy on crutches for the 1st day of school :laugh:

Try, the guy with a cane ... :laugh:

I tried crutches for a day, it's rough. Never have had crutches or even a broken bone in my life. I was pretty astounded to hear "ankle fracture" as a diagnosis ... :rolleyes:

The check just came in and the appraisal is finally done!!!! OMG!!! IS IT REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN!?!?!:scared: :scared: :scared: :eek:

Are you sure this time? :smuggrin:

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!! :love: But....we are not there quite yet. We have to sign everything tomorrow and then they sign it on Friday at 11:00. Hopefully by Friday afternoon we will be the proud new owners of a house in Speedwell, TN.:luck: :luck: :luck:

The only people not striking are the management and the RNs. The latter can not strike due to KY state laws regarding patient abandonment. Anyone who is another medical specialty and needs to make some quick cash, message me and I will put you in contact with my agency as they need people.

Thank you!!!! :love: But....we are not there quite yet. We have to sign everything tomorrow and then they sign it on Friday at 11:00. Hopefully by Friday afternoon we will be the proud new owners of a house in Speedwell, TN.:luck: :luck: :luck:

We have been trying to contact a realtor down there, but she is not responding at all. We have found a couple of nice houses, but trying to get a hold of her is just CRAZY!!!!!!

How long did it take from the time you put the contract down until you are going to close. We are trying to get an idea, so we know what kind of time frame we are under. We are putting our condo up for sale in a couple of weeks:clap: :clap:

Doctor Mom,

I so agree with you on the insurance company thing. I would love to do something about them. I often think it would be a good idea to form some sort of union of physician's who have their own for non-profit insurance company. I think if all of the details were worked out, physician's could have enough power to overthrow the insurance companies. Someone has to do something, I agree. Maybe I will one day. That's just my opinion anyway.

Also DoctorMom, I saw that you may be into reviewing personal statements and I was wondering how adverse you were to possibly reviewing mine. I know that you may have some insight having already gone through the interviewing process and may know what they are looking for in terms of non-traditional students. I am just finishing it up and it will be ready in about a week. I know that you are really busy, so if not, I totally understand. Thanks though.

Never forget...it's not closed until it's closed.

I can't wait for it to be all over for you...I remember what it was like the first time we bought a property...

We bought one that was FSBO, so we didn't have a realtor "helping" us...so I learned a LOT about the process.

Doctor Mom,

I so agree with you on the insurance company thing. I would love to do something about them. I often think it would be a good idea to form some sort of union of physician's who have their own for non-profit insurance company. I think if all of the details were worked out, physician's could have enough power to overthrow the insurance companies. Someone has to do something, I agree. Maybe I will one day. That's just my opinion anyway.

Also DoctorMom, I saw that you may be into reviewing personal statements and I was wondering how adverse you were to possibly reviewing mine. I know that you may have some insight having already gone through the interviewing process and may know what they are looking for in terms of non-traditional students. I am just finishing it up and it will be ready in about a week. I know that you are really busy, so if not, I totally understand. Thanks though.

I would be happy to look at yours.:love: Just email it to me. I will PM you my email address. I have become the official SDN personal statement reviewer. All those English classes paid off.:D :laugh:

I would love to be able to change the rules governing the insurance companies. They are so corrupt and seem to be able to do whatever they want. I have seen so many people suffer as a result of that. I definitely want to try to do something in the future to change that.

We have been trying to contact a realtor down there, but she is not responding at all. We have found a couple of nice houses, but trying to get a hold of her is just CRAZY!!!!!!

How long did it take from the time you put the contract down until you are going to close. We are trying to get an idea, so we know what kind of time frame we are under. We are putting our condo up for sale in a couple of weeks:clap: :clap:

I think our contract was signed Feb 22. It will (hopefully...KNOCK ON WOOD) be final on April 6. A lot of the time frame depends on the mortgage company and the house itself. Who are you calling? You can try Tom. He was pretty good and honest. Good luck!:luck:

Never forget...it's not closed until it's closed.

I can't wait for it to be all over for you...I remember what it was like the first time we bought a property...

We bought one that was FSBO, so we didn't have a realtor "helping" us...so I learned a LOT about the process.

LOL! I know, and I am scared to even think about it. But, I think it will all be over soon. Thanks!:)

We actually just found out that the property is actually mostly in Union, not Claiborne county. Kind of cool to be in both I guess.:)

Thanks DoctorMom. That's really interesting that you have these same qualms about the insurance thing. I've been thinking seriously about it for several years now and would love to do something too.