DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine: Part 5....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin,

I got some new golf clubs today. Brand new set of TaylorMade r7 irons and TaylorMade r7 Superquad driver. They are SWEEEEET. Looking forward to hitting the links in TN with you. We definately need to start some kind of golf club or something and organize an outing with students, profs, and get some sponsers and raise some money for something - ideas? I know that Dr. Cross is a big golfer. We talked awhile about the area courses during my interview day.

Anyone else wanna play? We need a few more people.

I do not know how to play, but I have been wanting to learn. I almost took golf this spring to give me full time, but I ended up taking Physical Anthro...wish I went for the golf. :(

Maybe you can throw a few lessons my way...I will read Golf for Dummies before we get started. :laugh:

Golf could definitely be fun. I've never played a game in my life beyond mini golf and going to the driving range a few times, but I've always wanted to try. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc Mom,
Can't they fix his mouth? Maybe horsey braces. Seriously though it seems like surgery could be an option.
Marcia

Doc Mom,
Can't they fix his mouth? Maybe horsey braces. Seriously though it seems like surgery could be an option.
Marcia

If they catch it before they are a year old, they can. But he is eight, so the condition is permanent now. It apparently also costs a fortune.:( MY POOR HORSE!!!

OH LOOK EVERYONE, IT IS SPRING TIME IN NEW YORK....:rolleyes::smuggrin:

Attachments

• STA71308c.JPG
    STA71308c.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 82
I can't give him back. Poor horse! You are so heartless. :( He needs a kind and loving home and I am going to give it to him.:love:

Didn't the aid say you can get your money back? Go that route ...

Didn't the aid say you can get your money back? Go that route ...

No, I can give the horse back. I assume I would get the money back if I gave him back, but I don't want to do that.

No, I can give the horse back. I assume I would get the money back if I gave him back, but I don't want to do that.

That is what I was inferring ...

That is what I was inferring ...

OK, BUT I DON'T WANT TO GIVE HIM BACK! I will just have to figure everything out. It will work out. Anyone want to donate hay or wood to build fences? :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's going to be above 60 here today, and feel like spring all week!

Yeah, we finally got that weather too :D :D :D My brother will finally have some baseball games where you don't freeze your butt off and I will be able to hit the range and try my new sticks,

I do not know how to play, but I have been wanting to learn. I almost took golf this spring to give me full time, but I ended up taking Physical Anthro...wish I went for the golf. :(

Maybe you can throw a few lessons my way...I will read Golf for Dummies before we get started. :laugh:

I have taught kids golf during the summer for the last 10 years so I have no problems giving anyone a few pointers. I'm not the greatest golfer ever, but I do hold my own pretty well. I can't wait to hit some of the courses in TN and KY, they look great and they are super cheap - under $40 with cart :eek: I played Dubsdread at Cog Hill where the pros play the Western Open in July (now the BMW Championship in September) and paid $125, but it was worth it b/c I shot an 89.

A scramble (where everyone in a foursome plays the best ball hit by person in their foursome) sounds like a good idea Austin. We just need to find the right thing to raise money for - perhaps the new clinic they're building for supplies or something. It just needs to be something we can raise money for to help the people in the community.

If I happen to be at DCOM next year I would gladly participate in a scramble. I think that would be a great way to help out and also have fun and interact with classmates and everyone else who is there.

Deposit sent! So, what's next? Is there a lot to do to prepare for going to medical school? A lot of people seem to be reading some of the books and working on their medical term, am I the only one who thinks we'll have enough to study in a little over a hundred days.

Actually, I'm supposed to accomplish a whole lot in the next few months. But ever since I got accepted, suddenly, I just wish for more time to sleep, eat, and enjoy myself. My dad seems hell bent on squeezing every last bit of effort he can get out of me before I go.

Deposit sent! So, what's next? Is there a lot to do to prepare for going to medical school? A lot of people seem to be reading some of the books and working on their medical term, am I the only one who thinks we'll have enough to study in a little over a hundred days.

YOu will be receiving your matriculation packet within the next few weeks. If you haven't started your Hep B vacc series yet, start. Make an appt ASAP b/c it is a 6 month process. Otherwise, relax and enjoy life for the next couple of months. :cool:

Congrats on sending in the deposit! :thumbup:
Are you planning on living in the student housing?

I am looking forward to a fairly relaxing summer. I might read through a medical terminology book I have, but that's all I plan on doing in terms of studying.

I have no intention of doing anything remotely educational this summer. There'll be plenty on our plates come August.

How often do you ever do anything "remotely educational?" ;) Besides loosing the microwave... :laugh:

As for plans this summer, I'm working on a way to get us able to live at the Lake of the Ozarks for a month before moving to TN...Fingers crossed....

Right now, I have to go drink some Barium....nasty, nasty stuff...for my CT scans in the morning...I'm now 4.5 years out of my diagnosis of Hodgkin's and wanted to get these done right now while I'm still on my company's insurance...just a regular checkup, but my last one before my official 5 year checkup and when I will be deemed officially "cured".

Good lord drinking that stuff sux. :)

Something anyone that ever orders for someone to drink the stuff should have to do in my opinion, since this is like my 10th time in the last 4.5 years!!! :D

As for plans this summer, I'm working on a way to get us able to live at the Lake of the Ozarks for a month before moving to TN...Fingers crossed....

Right now, I have to go drink some Barium....nasty, nasty stuff...for my CT scans in the morning...I'm now 4.5 years out of my diagnosis of Hodgkin's and wanted to get these done right now while I'm still on my company's insurance...just a regular checkup, but my last one before my official 5 year checkup and when I will be deemed officially "cured".

Something anyone that ever orders for someone to drink the stuff should have to do in my opinion, since this is like my 10th time in the last 4.5 years!!! :D

I was supposed to have barium for a scan before, but I requested that they use a different contrast instead. I had gastrograffin which they put in Crystal Light so it doesn't taste bad. You have to specially request it. I think I wouldn't be able to drink barium! :barf:

Sounds like you had a few rough years in your past, but I am glad that you are doing well now. I guess we all have our stories.

Good luck with your CT tomorrow!:luck: :)

Just wondering if anybody remembers DCOM talking about setting up residencies. And if so what kind and where they might be located...

Just wondering if anybody remembers DCOM talking about setting up residencies. And if so what kind and where they might be located...
Rumor (and I emphasis the term 'rumor') has it that ARH (Appalachian Regional Healthcare; which apparently will be a clinical site for DCOM) is looking at starting a primary care residency, but at this point it's all up in the air given that they seem to have more pressing issues

Damnit, I can't go off to work and come back before my thread gets locked ... damn, missed out on another party ... hehe, apparently my lashing of iproblem from another thread still left a mark ... :laugh:

Rumor (and I emphasis the term 'rumor') has it that ARH (Appalachian Regional Healthcare; which apparently will be a clinical site for DCOM) is looking at starting a primary care residency, but at this point it's all up in the air given that they seem to have more pressing issues

Just PC? :barf:

That's just what I heard mentioned by some of the administration. I know you're hoping for a surgery or rads residency, but I doubt any of the nearby hospitals would meet the ACGME standards for residencies simply based on call volume.

I am looking forward to a fairly relaxing summer. I might read through a medical terminology book I have, but that's all I plan on doing in terms of studying.

What I wouldn't do for a relaxing summer! :D
But to actually answer your question. Yes, I do very much plan to live in student housing for at least the first year. We could be hall mates! You'll have to introduce me to this whole Grey's Anatomy business; everybody I know watches it. I haven't seen a single episode, but I am intrigued. Everybody at the office I shadow in watches it, but my doctor gets the guys on there confused all the time for some reason, much to the ire of all the female staff. I wish I had time to watch House, loved that show. I'm hoping to come up in the next few weeks just to explore the area and campus some more, I didn't have a whole lot of time on the interview day, and arrived late in the evening the day before. Plus my dad wants to see where I will be disappearing off to. I think he's more excited then I am!

Damnit, I can't go off to work and come back before my thread gets locked ... damn, missed out on another party ... hehe, apparently my lashing of iproblem from another thread still left a mark ... :laugh:

Your thread got locked, that other thread got locked, and iproblem is on prob. status. Sorry about your thread, but as for the other events :thumbup: :laugh:

OK, BUT I DON'T WANT TO GIVE HIM BACK! I will just have to figure everything out. It will work out. Anyone want to donate hay or wood to build fences? :love:
Feed me and I have no problem helping to build fences. As for donating the wood, I don't know about that.....

Definitely skip the medical terminology book-- really low yield for what you'll be doing first year. I would really suggest that you kick back and enjoy one of your last summers of freedom. However, if you must study, order Lippincott's Biochemistry on Amazon and page through that to get familiar with some of the basic concepts that will be drilled into your head this fall.

I worked at Disney World twice during undergrad and also lived in Orlando for a year in addition to those two stints there. I graduated from TCU in Fort Worth so we've got those places in common. Hope you're having a great weekend!

So this makes 3 TCU grads at DCOM... us frogs are taking over!

I worked on my golf swing yesterday. I am definetly pretty rough - probably because I played baseball my whole life, and it so akward trying to not snap my wrists! I am glad to see the thread is alive and well after the weekend :thumbup:

ARH already has a residency in Hazard. The program looks really good, but I think it may only be FM. It is through the University of Kentucky.:D :thumbup:

Hey I hope everything looks ok in your scan. My brother was diagnosed with Hodgkin's like 2 years ago. They removed the right lymph node in his neck, and he had chemo and radiation. Since then everything has looked fine and I just hope it stays that way!:) :) Good luck to you:luck: :luck:

Is anyone into bowling? My husband needs a bowling buddy. I believe that there is a bowling lane in Cumberland Gap. :)

Hey I hope everything looks ok in your scan. My brother was diagnosed with Hodgkin's like 2 years ago. They removed the right lymph node in his neck, and he had chemo and radiation. Since then everything has looked fine and I just hope it stays that way!:) :) Good luck to you:luck: :luck:

Sounds familiar...I had Stage 3/4 Hodgkin's.

Stanford V chemo

One month of radiation.

Clean ever since..(knock on wood).

Barium is horrible. :)

Sounds familiar...I had Stage 3/4 Hodgkin's.

Stanford V chemo

One month of radiation.

Clean ever since..(knock on wood).

Barium is horrible. :)

yea his was like the beginning of stage 2. Now of course all of his hair is back and he recently found out he is gonna be a daddy!! Its a girl!!:D :D

Barium is horrible, I have had it several times myself, and once they even tried to make it flavored for me (strawberries) and let me tell you I did not eat strawberries for like 10 years!!!:eek: :p

Is anyone into bowling? My husband needs a bowling buddy. I believe that there is a bowling lane in Cumberland Gap. :)

AMAZING!! I :biglove: bowling. I'm not any good, but I love to play. Back in high school there wasn't anything to do so we'd go bowling and then to the diner. Same thing all the time, it was great. :thumbup: :laugh:

oh man, when will this semester end...i am soooo burnt out...on top of this i was sick like a dog all weekend and didn't do anything productive.
Looks like my major MCAT study time will be the 2 weeks before it
*welcome dr.kicia, to the wonderful world of 12hrs a day 2 week MCAT marathon:barf: +pity+
I am just hoping that it will not result in a disaster:scared:

i think i will pee onmyself from excitment when all of this is done...(and Dr.I please don't make fun of me for "peeing on myself from excitment" statemnt...it's a Polish slang...when you are really happy... like a puppy who pees when he is excited you got back home).

oh man, when will this semester end...i am soooo burnt out...on top of this i was sick like a dog all weekend and didn't do anything productive.
*welcome dr.kicia, to the wonderful world of 12hrs a day 2 week MCAT marathon:barf: +pity+

i think i will pee onmyself from excitment when all of this is done...(and Dr.I please don't make fun of me for "peeing on myself from excitment" statemnt...it's a Polish slang...when you are really happy... like a puppy who pees when he is excited you got back home).

Just make sure you don't wet yourself during the MCAT ...

haha, I suppose this plea did not seem to hit its mark!

LOL! My dog does that when he is really excited. He actually peed on me once too.:laugh: You will be fine!:luck:

haha, I suppose this plea did not seem to hit its mark!

Her plea just made it even easier ... chance are, if she never makes the plea, I wouldn't have made the easy comment ... :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.