DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine: Part 5....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone into bowling? My husband needs a bowling buddy. I believe that there is a bowling lane in Cumberland Gap. :)

There is a bowling alley across 63 from DCOM near the high school. There are some newer, bigger homes in the subdivision, which you may have seen at the intersection of 63 and cumberland gap parkway. The bowling alley is in that subdivision but its kind of hidden. Within walking distance of DCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

So this makes 3 TCU grads at DCOM... us frogs are taking over!

I worked on my golf swing yesterday. I am definetly pretty rough - probably because I played baseball my whole life, and it so akward trying to not snap my wrists! I am glad to see the thread is alive and well after the weekend :thumbup:

NO! You actually want to snap your wrists with the golf swing as it creates a ton of speed and distance. There is actually a lot in common between the baseball/softball swing and the golf swing, as my wife can attest to (former softball player) You probably a few things you need to do to adjust, but the first is your grip, which is the first thing any golf teacher will look at. Second, make sure your setup is correct. These two things make up about 80% of the golf swing and you haven't even swung yet. Again, as my wife can attest to, golf teacher will drill these two aspects into you before doing anything else. I'll find some videos or something to post on here for you to explain the two adjustments I mentioned above.

What kind of ball flight were you trying to correct by not snapping your wrists? A slice (right) or a hook (left)?

There is a bowling alley across 63 from DCOM near the high school. There are some newer, bigger homes in the subdivision, which you may have seen at the intersection of 63 and cumberland gap parkway. The bowling alley is in that subdivision but its kind of hidden. Within walking distance of DCOM.

It's funny you mention this because I've been looking into some custom bowling shirts.

The "DCOM Destroyers" has a nice ring to it.

Members don't see this ad :)

That was one of the requirements if we moved so I could go to school- there needed to be a bowling alley nearby. My husband drove around while I was in my interview and was very happy to announce that he had found a bowling alley.:D :thumbup:

I am so glad my husband will have some bowling buddies.:clap: :D

What I wouldn't do for a relaxing summer! :D
But to actually answer your question. Yes, I do very much plan to live in student housing for at least the first year. We could be hall mates! You'll have to introduce me to this whole Grey's Anatomy business; everybody I know watches it. I haven't seen a single episode, but I am intrigued. Everybody at the office I shadow in watches it, but my doctor gets the guys on there confused all the time for some reason, much to the ire of all the female staff. I wish I had time to watch House, loved that show. I'm hoping to come up in the next few weeks just to explore the area and campus some more, I didn't have a whole lot of time on the interview day, and arrived late in the evening the day before. Plus my dad wants to see where I will be disappearing off to. I think he's more excited then I am!

I haven't seen a single episode this season because I like to watch them all at once so I don't have to go through the suspense. So I really can't fill you in on what is happening. For the most part the first season consisted of hooking up with your superiors (which is a no no!), falling in love, sex, getting dumped, having more sex with the guy who dumped you, and so on! I would say it's your typical chick flick series.

PLEASE nobody post about this season. I can't wait to watch it as soon as I am done with classes in a few weeks!!!!

I've never seen House. What's it about?

That was one of the requirements if we moved so I could go to school- there needed to be a bowling alley nearby. My husband drove around while I was in my interview and was very happy to announce that he had found a bowling alley.:D :thumbup:

Doctor Mom - you need to get your husband a nintendo wii!! They are absolutely amazing and so much fun. They have a bowling game your husband can play in your living room, so he will never have to leave the house! :D

They cost $250, so I don't have one myself. :thumbdown: But I've played with several of my friends.

PLEASE nobody post about this season. I can't wait to watch it as soon as I am done with classes in a few weeks!!!!

Im upset about this season! I can't believe Meridith left McDreamy for Dr. Torres!!! Poor George, his wife left him for another woman! INCREDIBLE! and whats up with McDreamy now wanting to move back to NY!? I hope Dr. Webber survives that horrible accident too!!! Crazy!

OOOPPSSS... :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctor Mom - you need to get your husband a nintendo wii!! They are absolutely amazing and so much fun. They have a bowling game your husband can play in your living room, so he will never have to leave the house! :D

They cost $250, so I don't have one myself. :thumbdown: But I've played with several of my friends.

My brother got one for Christmas. IT WAS AWESOME! My husband wants a PS3 instead though. Boys and their toys!:laugh:

I can't believe you think I am going to read your posts!! :laugh:
I'll put you on my ignore list if you aren't careful!:smuggrin:

haha... just giving you a hard time. How are you quoting my post and not reading them??? awww... ur crazy Jamie!!! Crazy? Get it?:idea:

It's funny you mention this because I've been looking into some custom bowling shirts.

The "DCOM Destroyers" has a nice ring to it.

That really is very catchy. :thumbup::laugh:

Bowling is fun, but here it is so expensive, or at least I think so. It is like 5 bucks a game plus 7 for shoe rental. So maybe down there it will be cheaper, like the movies (just a 1.50 per show!!). That would be nice.:rolleyes:

Im upset about this season! I can't believe Meridith left McDreamy for Dr. Torres!!! Poor George, his wife left him for another woman! INCREDIBLE! and whats up with McDreamy now wanting to move back to NY!? I hope Dr. Webber survives that horrible accident too!!! Crazy!

OOOPPSSS... :laugh: :laugh:

Exactly why I don't even bother with the show. Sounds like a bunch of highschoolers who don't have lives and can't get any ...

Exactly why I don't even bother with the show. Sounds like a bunch of highschoolers who don't have lives and can't get any ...

The last I saw of the show, there was no lack of anybody getting some! I hope it hasn't changed. :laugh:

I can't believe you don't want to join me and all of you fellow students for the official Thursday night entertainmnent of watching Grey's Anatomy.

For all those who haven't seen Grey's, we'll have to watch all of the old episodes before classes start. :thumbup:

ARH already has a residency in Hazard. The program looks really good, but I think it may only be FM. It is through the University of Kentucky.:D :thumbup:
Well, this was at Harlan, not Hazard, but as I said it's a rumor at this point because they are too damn busy trying to shut those whiny union pukes up to bother with much else.

Well, this was at Harlan, not Hazard, but as I said it's a rumor at this point because they are too damn busy trying to shut those whiny union pukes up to bother with much else.

LOL! Oh, okay. Harlan is closer to Speedwell I think...hmmm...interesting....:idea:

The last I saw of the show, there was no lack of anybody getting some! I hope it hasn't changed. :laugh:

I can't believe you don't want to join me and all of you fellow students for the official Thursday night entertainmnent of watching Grey's Anatomy.

For all those who haven't seen Grey's, we'll have to watch all of the old episodes before classes start. :thumbup:

Not really my concern ...

I haven't seen a single episode this season because I like to watch them all at once so I don't have to go through the suspense. So I really can't fill you in on what is happening. For the most part the first season consisted of hooking up with your superiors (which is a no no!), falling in love, sex, getting dumped, having more sex with the guy who dumped you, and so on! I would say it's your typical chick flick series.

House is another doctor show with a wickedly biting main character, Dr. House. He solves crazy cases with the residents, people try to like him and he pushes them away, plays gameboy during breaks, and is addicted to vicadin. At least that was how it was first season. It's still winning awards so I suppose it's still good. Based on your description of Grey's though, I might have to bow out. Speaking of watching stuff in one season. I had a class in college where I had to watch the whole first season of the Soprano's. I thought I would hate it, but ended up watching the whole thing in the library in like two sittings, I was so hooked. I couldn't afford HBO at home though, so that was the end of the line for me.

I LOVE House, but can't stand Grey's Anatomy. Sorry to all the fans at DCOM, but I won't be joining you for that.:D

House is another doctor show with a wickedly biting main character, Dr. House. He solves crazy cases with the residents, people try to like him and he pushes them away, plays gameboy during breaks, and is addicted to vicadin. At least that was how it was first season. It's still winning awards so I suppose it's still good. Based on your description of Grey's though, I might have to bow out. Speaking of watching stuff in one season. I had a class in college where I had to watch the whole first season of the Soprano's. I thought I would hate it, but ended up watching the whole thing in the library in like two sittings, I was so hooked. I couldn't afford HBO at home though, so that was the end of the line for me.

I apparently took the wrong classes in undergrad. What class was it that you HAD to watch Soprano's for an assignment?? :laugh:

NO! You actually want to snap your wrists with the golf swing as it creates a ton of speed and distance. There is actually a lot in common between the baseball/softball swing and the golf swing, as my wife can attest to (former softball player) You probably a few things you need to do to adjust, but the first is your grip, which is the first thing any golf teacher will look at. Second, make sure your setup is correct. These two things make up about 80% of the golf swing and you haven't even swung yet. Again, as my wife can attest to, golf teacher will drill these two aspects into you before doing anything else. I'll find some videos or something to post on here for you to explain the two adjustments I mentioned above.

What kind of ball flight were you trying to correct by not snapping your wrists? A slice (right) or a hook (left)?

Let me correct myself, It is the whole baseball swing, the bent arms mainly is what gets me. I feel like such a wuss when swinging a golf club sometimes. But we will definetly have some fun golf times at DCOM, after all, we are going to be doctors right?

I apparently took the wrong classes in undergrad. What class was it that you HAD to watch Soprano's for an assignment?? :laugh:

It was some cultural analysis English class, but we had a crazy teacher, one of my favorites actually and the class topic was like the psychology of the mafia and the Nazi's and all these other crazy people and organizations. I assure you, it was the only class I had like that. :rolleyes:

I have a 3.25 undergrad gpa with a 3.5 masters gpa. I have tons of extra cirrics, leadership, and medical rotations. I am currently working at oneof the top research universities in the country. I havent taken my mcat yet and my science gpa is not the greatest (3.1-3.2). Do I have a good chance, little chance, no chance? please give me feedback.

I have a 3.25 undergrad gpa with a 3.5 masters gpa. I have tons of extra cirrics, leadership, and medical rotations. I am currently working at oneof the top research universities in the country. I havent taken my mcat yet and my science gpa is not the greatest (3.1-3.2). Do I have a good chance, little chance, no chance? please give me feedback.

Until you take the MCAT and get your score, it would be very difficult to say.

Your chance is really going to depend on your MCAT, so I can't really answer your question. I don't know what the average MCAT for DCOM was this year, but I would imagine that it is around 24. Most DO schools range from 23-26 for their average. Everything else on your application is probably fine. When are you taking the MCAT? One of the most important things to do it to apply early. Good luck!:luck:

thanks for the quick response dr. mom. The thing is I am taking my mcat is september so i can have more time to study. I was going to have the scores sent the second that they are available. Despite lacking the mcats I am still going to apply early. Is that what you would reccommend?

thanks for the quick response dr. mom. The thing is I am taking my mcat is september so i can have more time to study. I was going to have the scores sent the second that they are available. Despite lacking the mcats I am still going to apply early. Is that what you would reccommend?

This is what I did. I took the August MCAT last summer, but submitted my apps before my scores were released. It worked out ok.

No one will even look at your application until they get your MCAT score, so you are looking at probably October or early November before you are actually "complete" with AACOMAS and schools start to look at your application. Don't rush taking the MCAT. You can still apply, but it is a little bit of a gamble because if you don't do as well as you would like, then you just spent all that money applying. It also puts you at a bit of a disadvantage because of the time. Once you are complete, you have to wait for secondaries. That adds more time. I know the feeling of wanting to get everything done. Definitely don't take the MCAT before September if you won't be ready. I guess it is really your decision about whether you want to gamble to money. This whole process is a bit of a crapshoot no matter when you apply anyway. Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, but that is the best that I can do.:luck: :)

thanks alot for all of your help. Any other advice you have would be helpful. How long did you prep for the mcats and how intese were your hours? I am still finishing pre reqs so I know that I am rushing everything but I dont have a choice. I feel that I will be ok as long as I prep hard and keep my masters gpa at a 3.5 or higher. once again thanks and any other info would be helpful

thanks alot for all of your help. Any other advice you have would be helpful. How long did you prep for the mcats and how intese were your hours? I am still finishing pre reqs so I know that I am rushing everything but I dont have a choice. I feel that I will be ok as long as I prep hard and keep my masters gpa at a 3.5 or higher. once again thanks and any other info would be helpful

I am the wrong person to ask because I didn't really get any quality time to study for the MCAT. I was taking a full class schedule in the evenings and was home during the day with my newborn baby and other children. I also hadn't taken organic chemistry yet. So, I would study at night from 11-1. :rolleyes: Hmmm....no wonder I didn't do so well. LOL! I was actually tempted to retake this year because I know I was capable of a much higher score, but then I decided the time and money wasn't justified just to satisfy my ego. :smuggrin: BTW, I had a 23Q (10VR, 6PS, and 7BS). I spent two or three months attempting to study. I took a Kaplan online class because I couldn't get to the classroom one, but it was a total scam. I have heard that Examkrackers is really good, but never used it myself.

If you keep your GPA up where it is and you have good ECs and LORs, then you don't have to rely as heavily on your MCAT score. DO schools really do look at your entire application. I highly recommend applying to DCOM as it is going to be one of the top DO schools in the near future. :biglove: (I am the unofficial spokeswoman for DCOM.):laugh:

Good luck with everything!:luck:

A lot of the schools will go ahead and send you a secondary if they know you are just waiting on scores. At least that's what they did with me. Then, once the scores got there, and the LOR's...they reviewed my file.

A lot of the schools will go ahead and send you a secondary if they know you are just waiting on scores. At least that's what they did with me. Then, once the scores got there, and the LOR's...they reviewed my file.

How long did it take you to get your first interview?

I am the unofficial spokeswoman for DCOM

And will probably be the first student member of the ADCOM (you'd better vote for my admission :smuggrin: )

I actually have one thing to add about studying for the MCAT. Make sure you take lots of practice tests. I found that my score on the practice tests was a really good prediction of how I did on the real thing. I guess that if you are getting a decent score consistently, then you could feel fairly confident to go ahead and apply. Even though you are not going to take the MCAT until September, maybe you can take a practice test before you submit your application and see where you stand.:luck:

How long did it take you to get your first interview?

It was a couple weeks after the score release...I got all my interviews/holds within like a week or 2 for the most part.

The LOR's were the worst part of the whole process...I absolutely detest not having control over things...and there is very little control over when a doc will get around to writing and sending out a LOR.

It was a couple weeks after the score release...I got all my interviews/holds within like a week or 2 for the most part.

The LOR's were the worst part of the whole process...I absolutely detest not having control over things...and there is very little control over when a doc will get around to writing and sending out a LOR.

Yea, my LORs took about two months to be completed and sent. Fortunately, I had started working on that in the beginning of July.

I am suprised that you got such a quick response. I thought it would have taken longer.

I think we all may be total control freaks. :laugh:

thank you guys so much for all of your responses! I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can pull off a decent score even though I am lacking some pre reqs. Ill have them done by the summer but I really need to get them down before I throw myself in the fire. Ill definitely look into exam krackers. thanks again everyone! If I have anymore questions, i know where to come.

Yep...I started asking for LOR's in June/July...and I think the last one finally arrived on the LMU-DCOM campus about mid-January.

The first physician I worked with never came through.

I am the wrong person to ask because I didn't really get any quality time to study for the MCAT. I was taking a full class schedule in the evenings and was home during the day with my newborn baby and other children. I also hadn't taken organic chemistry yet. So, I would study at night from 11-1. :rolleyes: Hmmm....no wonder I didn't do so well. LOL! I was actually tempted to retake this year because I know I was capable of a much higher score, but then I decided the time and money wasn't justified just to satisfy my ego. BTW, I had a 23Q (10VR, 6PS, and 7BS). I spent two or three months attempting to study. I took a Kaplan online class because I couldn't get to the classroom one, but it was a total scam. I have heard that Examkrackers is really good, but never used it myself.

If you keep your GPA up where it is and you have good ECs and LORs, then you don't have to rely as heavily on your MCAT score. DO schools really do look at your entire application. I highly recommend applying to DCOM as it is going to be one of the top DO schools in the near future. :biglove: (I am the unofficial spokeswoman for DCOM.)

Good luck with everything!

thank you guys so much for all of your responses! I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can pull off a decent score even though I am lacking some pre reqs. Ill have them done by the summer but I really need to get them down before I throw myself in the fire. Ill definitely look into exam krackers. thanks again everyone! If I have anymore questions, i know where to come.

While I have never used examkrackers, I did use Kaplan (classroom based) and was very pleased with thier results. Their resources are unlimited as well. I too found that the best way to study was by doing questions and reading the answers to the ones I got wrong or guessed at. I took Kaplan's course twice (took advantage of their higher score guarantee since I wasn't pleased with my results). My first diagnostic was a 14 :eek: and I got a 21 on my first official MCAT. I was disappointed, took Kaplan again along with some other classes and I ended up with a 28 on my second MCAT. About 2-3 weeks before the 2nd MCAT, all I did was questions, questions, and more questions and that made more of a difference than anything else. If you use Kaplan, Princeton, EK, try to do as many ?'s as possible, along with solutions, and things will make sense. Other than that, relax and good luck.

You are very welcome!:biglove: Any other questions, just ask.:D :luck:

While I have never used examkrackers, I did use Kaplan (classroom based) and was very pleased with thier results. Their resources are unlimited as well. I too found that the best way to study was by doing questions and reading the answers to the ones I got wrong or guessed at. I took Kaplan's course twice (took advantage of their higher score guarantee since I wasn't pleased with my results). My first diagnostic was a 14 :eek: and I got a 21 on my first official MCAT. I was disappointed, took Kaplan again along with some other classes and I ended up with a 28 on my second MCAT. About 2-3 weeks before the 2nd MCAT, all I did was questions, questions, and more questions and that made more of a difference than anything else. If you use Kaplan, Princeton, EK, try to do as many ?'s as possible, along with solutions, and things will make sense. Other than that, relax and good luck.

I'm thinking that parts of it are just rigged. My first diagnostic told me that I got a 10. A freaking 10!! But then magically just two weeks later during the first full length I got a 24. It made no sense at all. It's probably some kind of conspiracy so you can't cash in on their money back guarantee.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.