DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine: Part 5....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep...I started asking for LOR's in June/July...and I think the last one finally arrived on the LMU-DCOM campus about mid-January.

The first physician I worked with never came through.

That really sucks! WOW! I thought it took mine forever and it was only about two months.:laugh: Well, it doesn't matter now. It all worked out anway.:D :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

My only complaint with Kaplan was that I wish I had not wasted so much time doing review work and had done more questions, questions, questions, then practice tests, practice tests, practice tests.

Physics was BRUTAL for me because I hadn't even had Physics II and hadn't had Physics I in like 9-10 years.

Haha. We were almost in the same boat! My last physics class had been over 4 years ago in high school so I really didn't have any idea what was going on. Oh well, it all worked out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking that parts of it are just rigged. My first diagnostic told me that I got a 10. A freaking 10!! But then magically just two weeks later during the first full length I got a 24. It made no sense at all. It's probably some kind of conspiracy so you can't cash in on their money back guarantee.:laugh:

:smuggrin:

You're probably right. But I did take advantage of it b/c one of the three criteria is if I was not happy with my MCAT result, I could take kaplan again for free, regardless of what the diagnostic was, etc. I could have gotten a 40, said I was unhappy and taken the class again for free. So that is the loophole I took advantage of.

I, too, was in the same boat, but with Gen Chem. About 3-4 years between the class and the MCAT.

I took Kaplan and got a 13 on my first diag. I was freaking out, and starting looking into podiatry school instead of med school. Luckily, I did as many practice tests as I could during the summer before I took it, and I suppose it paid off. My advice for the MCAT is to do as many problems as possible - they seem to have the same format and this trully helped come test day.

How about the "Manipulative Bastards"? :smuggrin: ;)

"Sir, you are a genius."

PBF029AD-Genius_Sir.jpg

I'm thinking that parts of it are just rigged. My first diagnostic told me that I got a 10. A freaking 10!! But then magically just two weeks later during the first full length I got a 24. It made no sense at all. It's probably some kind of conspiracy so you can't cash in on their money back guarantee.:laugh:

Precisely. I dumped about $100 into Examkrackers, studied for a week and half.....and got a 29.

If you have the discipline to self-study then save yourself some cash.

Precisely. I dumped about $100 into Examkrackers, studied for a week and half.....and got a 29.

If you have the discipline to self-study then save yourself some cash.

I recommend EK too, especially the 101 passages of verbal, I believe it is called. That really helped me bring up my verbal.:cool:

While I have never used examkrackers, I did use Kaplan (classroom based) and was very pleased with thier results. Their resources are unlimited as well. I too found that the best way to study was by doing questions and reading the answers to the ones I got wrong or guessed at. I took Kaplan's course twice (took advantage of their higher score guarantee since I wasn't pleased with my results). My first diagnostic was a 14 :eek: and I got a 21 on my first official MCAT. I was disappointed, took Kaplan again along with some other classes and I ended up with a 28 on my second MCAT. About 2-3 weeks before the 2nd MCAT, all I did was questions, questions, and more questions and that made more of a difference than anything else. If you use Kaplan, Princeton, EK, try to do as many ?'s as possible, along with solutions, and things will make sense. Other than that, relax and good luck.

I don't think it's possible to relax until you've been accepted somewhere! :laugh:

Oh man I wish I'd heard of EK first. It would have saved me a lot of money and it probably would have helped more. Oh well.

Oh man I wish I'd heard of EK first. It would have saved me a lot of money and it probably would have helped more. Oh well.

Oh well, at least you are in, and I don't know about you, but I am very glad I never have to take that stupid test again. (I hope boards are better!!! -- I know this is wishful thinking):)

Members don't see this ad :)
My reasoning for taking Kaplan was that I hadn't had most of the material in class for a long time (as previously stated), and that I was studying over a whole summer.

It served me well, but I would have been better off either taking the classes (not Kaplan Review) all in succession then doing practice tests...or just doing practice problems and tests all summer long...I wasted a LOT of time watching their lectures online.

I took the Kaplan class twice and went from a 22 to a 21. Then I decided to study on my own and wound up with a 27. So much for the "good investment".

personally, I think the Kaplan classroom course is a total waste of money. Purchase the materials and ALL of the AAMC tests. The problem with the class is not the material, but the instructors (at least were I was). They may know the stuff, but they couldn't teach a gorilla to eat a banana.

I don't think it's possible to relax until you've been accepted somewhere! :laugh:

:laugh: True, but it was meant as more of a - don't freak out about the MCAT, but have confidence in yourself and your abiliies. I know people who freak on tests and then do worse on them then they should have. If you remain cool, calm and collected, you can do just fine. It's just a different kind of relaxing :cool:

But even when you get accepted, things are crazy, albeit a good kind of crazy, but crazy nonetheless. Moving, house shopping, forms, physicals, spouse's job, WAITING FOR OUR T-SHIRTS (hint hint :hello: ) and just finding the time to do everything. Yes, I'd much rather have this kind of stress than waiting for interviews, etc.

I took the Kaplan class twice and went from a 22 to a 21. Then I decided to study on my own and wound up with a 27. So much for the "good investment".

personally, I think the Kaplan classroom course is a total waste of money. Purchase the materials and ALL of the AAMC tests. The problem with the class is not the material, but the instructors (at least were I was). They may know the stuff, but they couldn't teach a gorilla to eat a banana.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is freaking brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My reasoning for taking Kaplan was that I hadn't had most of the material in class for a long time (as previously stated), and that I was studying over a whole summer.

It served me well, but I would have been better off either taking the classes (not Kaplan Review) all in succession then doing practice tests...or just doing practice problems and tests all summer long...I wasted a LOT of time watching their lectures online.

That is why I took Kaplan too. Fortunately, I had good teachers so that made the experience better. Then I saw that doing questions rather than listening to a lecture served me better and I did lots of problems and only went to the classroom topics in which I needed the most help, i.e. gen chem and orgo.

They may know the stuff, but they couldn't teach a gorilla to eat a banana.

AMAZING!! :bow: Our guy was nice and all and was going to attend UMDNJ but my god, that man screwed up everything. We started to keep a running tally of all the wrong things he told us.

AMAZING!! :bow: Our guy was nice and all and was going to attend UMDNJ but my god, that man screwed up everything. We started to keep a running tally of all the wrong things he told us.

Could that have been the problem ...?

I felt like Kaplan was a good investment. Not the course so much as the access it gave me to practice problems. I guess you can do well on the MCAT if you know a lot stuff, but you can also do well on the MCAT if you figure out the the question/answer pattern. Just like there is a formula to the writing sections, all the other sections have a formula too. Many people here have already said this and I agree - doing as many practice problems (and preferably practice tests) is the best way to study.

All this MCAT is making me sick...lol...

No, but I have all the Kaplan stuff...along with MCAT visual Aid and a book of retired questions. If you any of you want to buy this stuff let me know. We can negotiate on a price. I don't need it anymore. It is about $1700 worth of stuff that someone can get much cheaper. If anyone is itrested let me know.

On another topic.....has anyone looked at other financial aid that can be used along with out federal loans? I'm looking for something that does not count against our federal amount. I'm worried about this whole not working thing. Any suggestions?

No, but I have all the Kaplan stuff...along with MCAT visual Aid and a book of retired questions. If you any of you want to buy this stuff let me know. We can negotiate on a price. I don't need it anymore. It is about $1700 worth of stuff that someone can get much cheaper. If anyone is itrested let me know.

On another topic.....has anyone looked at other financial aid that can be used along with out federal loans? I'm looking for something that does not count against our federal amount. I'm worried about this whole not working thing. Any suggestions?

You think we need it or are even remotely interested in it ...?

You think we need it or are even remotely interested in it ...?

Thanks for the prompt response Dr. Inviz. I'll mark you off the list of people I think might want it.

On another topic.....has anyone looked at other financial aid that can be used along with out federal loans? I'm looking for something that does not count against our federal amount. I'm worried about this whole not working thing. Any suggestions?[/quote]

None, but I share your concern. If you learn anything, please let me know.

Some people have I know. I plan on waiting until mid-June or so before I worry about that. Most from what I recall reading, who have bought them, gave amazon as the location of choice.

Wouldn't they be cheaper used on efollet?

Some people have I know. I plan on waiting until mid-June or so before I worry about that. Most from what I recall reading, who have bought them, gave amazon as the location of choice.

I wonder how much savings amazon will really be? What would be the benifits of buying early? I'm not planning on buying until July unless someone knows of good reasons to buy earlier. :confused:

Finally decide to do a postbacc rather than go DO there Inviz?

Post-bac? Post-bac wouldn't help me. Now time could have helped ... time for studying for the MCAT that is ...

I purchased the previous editions of a few of the books. I gave several of them a look at the medical library where I work. Most of them are similar enough to the latest editions that you'd be just fine with them and save quite a few bucks. Also, I'd bet that we'll be studying powerpoints and notes for the most part anyways.

I purchased the previous editions of a few of the books. I gave several of them a look at the medical library where I work. Most of them are similar enough to the latest editions that you'd be just fine with them and save quite a few bucks. Also, I'd bet that we'll be studying powerpoints and notes for the most part anyways.

Yeah, I read that at a lot of schools you don't even need the books. Lecture notes, outline, and review books are good enough to cover everything. Also, listening to the lectures sped up so that it doesn't take as long to listen to them....I really wish that lecture wasn't mandatory. :thumbdown:

Does anyone know if the lectures will be available as mp3.s or if they'll be a video format that you'll need to watch on your computer? I can't remember them saying one way or the other.

FYI: To anyone who hasn't priced the books yet, the vast majority of them run around $100 give or take...you can make the argument that a few hundred bucks is nothing compared to the other costs (tuition, fees...) but hey...less money spent on books = more money for beer & noodles

Yeah, I read that at a lot of schools you don't even need the books. Lecture notes, outline, and review books are good enough to cover everything. Also, listening to the lectures sped up so that it doesn't take as long to listen to them....I really wish that lecture wasn't mandatory. :thumbdown:

What do you mean by mandatory? I don't imagine they'll be taking attendance for each lecture; labs I understand but not for lecture.

What do you mean by mandatory? I don't imagine they'll be taking attendance for each lecture; labs I understand but not for lecture.

At my interview, I was told attendence to all classes was mandatory. :mad: Whether or not that holds true, I guess we will find out at orientation or from someone who as actually heard otherwise.

Does anyone know if the lectures will be available as mp3.s or if they'll be a video format that you'll need to watch on your computer? I can't remember them saying one way or the other.

I was told they would be availible online and video format. But, I bet they could post them both ways -if we requested it. :thumbup:

For those that care for recording their own lectures, I think there is a microphone built into the computer to record lectures on your own...

what did Dr.I do to be put on hold this time?

The reality of mandatory lecture attendance has been discussed a few times. Last I recall, someone....docmom maybe:confused:......got an email about all of us being adults and understanding that on occasion things happen, but we should expect to be in attendance.

as far as attendance goes...it will probably start off pretty sharp and strict, mandatory. By halfway through semester things will drop off a bit. Many schools encourage the student to learn the best way they can, and some people just dont do lecture well.

Status
Not open for further replies.