This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uhds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
*No, I'm not applying this cycle. This is just for future reference, hopefully people who have know more about this can help me out.

Hey guys, I am in need of your help! I'm wondering what you guys think as far as how I should categorize this major & degrees dilemma that I have. :bang: My college does a lot of things differently, I guess you could say. When you get accepted into my school, everyone is the same major (liberal arts). This ONLY changes when you get into a program (major) (ie.Dental Assisting Program).

Freshmeat year: I took a 1 semester Nursing Aide course (due to the pressure of my parents, lol I really despised that class), I passed the course and earned a Certificate of Completion (CO) in Nurse Aide (No, I am not certified in my state as a nurse aide, that part was optional). BUT my major remained liberal arts. Yes, this Certificate of Completion (CO) in Nurse Aide is under my degrees awarded section on my transcript.

Fast forward into the future :=|:-):: I got accepted into the 1 year Dental Assisting Program therefore Dental Assisting was CHANGED as my major. I got a Certificate of Completion (CO) in Dental Assisting and again this is under my degrees awarded section on my transcript. I am a CDA but that isn't on my transcript just the Certificate of Completion in Dental Assisting.

I did not graduate with an AA in liberal arts btw.

I am not sure how I would put this onto the application. An example of what I input is attached to this. Please let me know what you think!!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 4.55.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 4.55.04 PM.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Bump. Would anyone know?

Academically, think of your experience so far as being an infinitesimal notch above your high school diploma. Degrees and majors applies to 4 year colleges/universities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most (I know not all) require a bachelors degree. None of those sound like bachelors degrees.

Totally correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most (I know not all) require a bachelors degree. None of those sound like bachelors degrees.

Sorry, I forgot to include that I transferred from that college to another university where I am now pursuing my bachelors. I'm just confused as what to put for the first university that I went to.

You will put what ever it says on the certificate you get at graduation, probably an AA in Liberal Arts. It really doesn't matter if you took nursing or underwater basket weaving at the community college, an AA is an AA. Your major will be whatever your diploma says at your 4 year school.

Reactions: 1 user
You will put what ever it says on the certificate you get at graduation, probably an AA in Liberal Arts. It really doesn't matter if you took nursing or underwater basket weaving at the community college, an AA is an AA. Your major will be whatever your diploma says at your 4 year school.
Sounds good! Thank you!