This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

catlover63

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, being stupid and a freshman in college with a weak math background I decided to take pre-calc in the summer as a 6 week course and ended up getting a D- in the class. I am obviously going to retake it, and my school has a policy on replacing your grade with whatever new grade you receive, (hopefully an A)! I've gotten a 4.0 in ALL of my other classes, including biology, chemistry, pysch, and sociology, however, this one D- knocked my GPA down to a 3.14. I also just received a medical scribe position and am looking for more volunteer work. I'm only a sophomore this fall, do you think I can still save myself? Or should I already be looking into postbacc programs?

EDIT: Also, I am aware that medical schools look at ALL grades, so this has me scared.🙁
 
It was a summer school class and you were a frosh ... and you're re-taking the class for grade replacement ... and you earned a perfect 4.0 in all of your other classes, including biology, chemistry, psych and sociology (so your GPA should be higher than a 3.14 if the only non-A grade you have received in college is a D-)... and you're going to work hard and maintain a strong/competitive GPA for remaining pre-reqs/other college courses ... so you'll be okay.
 
So, being stupid and a freshman in college with a weak math background I decided to take pre-calc in the summer as a 6 week course and ended up getting a D- in the class. I am obviously going to retake it, and my school has a policy on replacing your grade with whatever new grade you receive, (hopefully an A)! I've gotten a 4.0 in ALL of my other classes, including biology, chemistry, pysch, and sociology, however, this one D- knocked my GPA down to a 3.14. I also just received a medical scribe position and am looking for more volunteer work. I'm only a sophomore this fall, do you think I can still save myself? Or should I already be looking into postbacc programs?

EDIT: Also, I am aware that medical schools look at ALL grades, so this has me scared.🙁

@Doctor-S is right. Don't sweat it. It's still relatively early in your undergrad; plus, ADCOMs do generally view poor grades from freshman/sophomore year with more leniency than they would poor marks during junior/senior year. Grade TREND (upward vs. downward) is far more important than one very poor mark in a single course.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile