DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys. that's what i originally assumed, but there was a sentence that threw me off. -it said to take care of the parking registration "now" so that I wouldn't have to bother with it later. after reading it, i just assumed I was a ***** that couldn't figure out where the link was or something was wrong with my portal.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody heard anything yet from the 2/18 and 2/19 interviews?

Has anybody heard anything yet from the 2/18 and 2/19 interviews?

Called today and they said right now they are looking at three week turnaround, so we should hear back late this week or early next via email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the alternate list this morning

accepted! got the email this morning also. I interviewed 2/19. Best of luck to those still interviewing and on the waitlist, I hope ya'll get a spot. There were 50 open spots when I interviewed on the 19th even with 100 pending acceptances, so I don't know how that works or how many there are now.

Last edited:
accepted! got the email this morning also. I interviewed 2/19. Best of luck to those still interviewing and on the waitlist, I hope ya'll get a spot. There was 50 open spots when I interview on the 19th even with 100 pending acceptances, so I don't know how that works or many there are now.

congrats!! maybe i'll see you there in the future... do you think you're going there?

congrats!! maybe i'll see you there in the future... do you think you're going there?

This was my last interview, and it's come down between here and KCOM. Both are excellent schools and I liked both, so I have a lot of thinking to do..... hmmmm

menupop.gif
2/21...waitlisted...I really liked the school too...

accepted! got the email this morning also. I interviewed 2/19. Best of luck to those still interviewing and on the waitlist, I hope ya'll get a spot. There were 50 open spots when I interviewed on the 19th even with 100 pending acceptances, so I don't know how that works or how many there are now.

Congrats! I interviewed 2/19 and got my acceptance today as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
This was my last interview, and it's come down between here and KCOM. Both are excellent schools and I liked both, so I have a lot of thinking to do..... hmmmm
I was in this same exact situation... it's a tough decision but a very good problem to have! Good luck!

After some deliberation, I have decided that I will be attending DMU this fall! For everyone in the same boat, see you then!

I've got an interview at DMU coming up on 4/1 and was wondering what style of interview they do. Is it one on one or panel style? Also, do they differ much from an allopathic school interview?

I've got an interview at DMU coming up on 4/1 and was wondering what style of interview they do. Is it one on one or panel style? Also, do they differ much from an allopathic school interview?

When I interviewed, I had two professors and one DMU student interview me (just me). This did not differ much from my interview at Iowa. Granted, different schools interview different ways. My interview was pretty laid back. They asked some more original questions than other schools had, but that was about the only big difference. Good luck at your interview!

When I interviewed, I had two professors and one DMU student interview me (just me). This did not differ much from my interview at Iowa. Granted, different schools interview different ways. My interview was pretty laid back. They asked some more original questions than other schools had, but that was about the only big difference. Good luck at your interview!

Mine was pretty similar, but I only had the 2 DMU professors. Pretty laid back questions, not to difficult. There was not any political/med ethic questions for me, I don't know about anyone else. The interview is at the end of the day, after lunch with DMU students. Ask them about your professors and find out what they like. It was a big help to be able to know my professors interest and what they were like.

Does anyone know when the final interview dates are for DMU? I unfortunately applied late, but am interested in checking out the school.

Mine was pretty similar, but I only had the 2 DMU professors. Pretty laid back questions, not to difficult. There was not any political/med ethic questions for me, I don't know about anyone else. The interview is at the end of the day, after lunch with DMU students. Ask them about your professors and find out what they like. It was a big help to be able to know my professors interest and what they were like.
Thanks for the advice. You too PhilDr.

Accepted!! Interviewed 2/26, got the email about an hour ago!! Im a reapplicant so this is paritcularly satisfying!!

I just heard! I got in! I have till 4/1 to deposit $1,000.

Congrats everyone!

My contract says I have till May 1st, 2010 to pay my second $500. Hope they didn't make a typo on mine lol... I may have to sell my soul to come up w/ that amount in 13 days.

So Im interviewing 4/2 does anybody know if the class is full I dont want to waste my time?

So Im interviewing 4/2 does anybody know if the class is full I dont want to waste my time?

Interview well and I'm sure you have a good shot at an acceptance still. I don't think that they are just interviewing for wait list positions. Of course I don't know for sure either. Best of luck to you tho.

Hello all... I just found out that I have been put on the wait list. :(

I interviewed 2/25 and I felt great about the interview. It couldn't have gone better actually. DMU is really my dream school and I'm pretty discouraged. Does anyone know what happens next? How long do they take to start pulling from the wait list? How many actually get in that were on a wait list?

It is tough for me because I'm getting married this summer and am looking seriously at buying a home. The tax credit ends April 30 and it would really suck to miss out on $8,000 because I'm waiting on a school that might not even accept me. I have already been accepted to LECOM-Bradenton so I don't know if I should buy a place there and give up, or risk the money to wait on DMU. If I knew that I would eventually get in, the money wouldn't be an issue at all. I'd easily give that up for DMU.

Please give me any advice that you can... anything would help :oops:

Hello all... I just found out that I have been put on the wait list. :(

I interviewed 2/25 and I felt great about the interview. It couldn't have gone better actually. DMU is really my dream school and I'm pretty discouraged. Does anyone know what happens next? How long do they take to start pulling from the wait list? How many actually get in that were on a wait list?

It is tough for me because I'm getting married this summer and am looking seriously at buying a home. The tax credit ends April 30 and it would really suck to miss out on $8,000 because I'm waiting on a school that might not even accept me. I have already been accepted to LECOM-Bradenton so I don't know if I should buy a place there and give up, or risk the money to wait on DMU. If I knew that I would eventually get in, the money wouldn't be an issue at all. I'd easily give that up for DMU.

Please give me any advice that you can... anything would help :oops:
From what I've heard from most schools, they start pulling from the waitlist around the beginning of May. I don't know if this holds true for DMU, but since they are on a rolling admissions I would assume that it wouldn't be any different.

FINALLY found out yesterday that I have been accepted! I couldn't be more excited!

Does anyone else see "due Friday, May 1st, 2010" for the 2nd installment of the $500 seat deposit on their conditions of enrollment form? May 1st is Saturday and someone else said their $1000 was due April 1st, 2010. I'm calling tomorrow to confirm so half the class won't get dropped due to a typo. :D

Hello all. I'm pleased to say I was accepted to DMU this morning! I received an email and am extremely excited about attending. I most likely will be accepting my spot in the upcoming class.

I interviewed 3/05, and my app was complete back on 1/15.

Email me any questions, and good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back. Congrats to everyone else accepted. :D

My forms say the seat deposit is due May 1. Since you have the option of paying online, I don't think it's an issue. I paid the first deposit on a weekend, and got an instant notification, so they do know when you submitted.

Of course, if you're sending a check I'd do it a few days out to be safe.

My forms say the seat deposit is due May 1. Since you have the option of paying online, I don't think it's an issue. I paid the first deposit on a weekend, and got an instant notification, so they do know when you submitted.

Of course, if you're sending a check I'd do it a few days out to be safe.

Thanks meli. i called this morning and they confirmed the may 1st date.

Just withdrew from an acceptance here. Good luck to everyone attending or waiting to hear; Des Moines is a very good school.

I have tried several searches on the web, as well as the schools website to see a list of any possible clinical rotation sites with DMU for the third and fourth years. Does anyone have know where this can be found? I found a link on another thread; however, it did not work.

Anybody looking for housing?

DO 11' here, currently living in a 1000 sft, 2 br, 1 bath house in Beaverdale (very desireable neighborhood). Bonus room could be a bedroom or office (we use it as a TV room). 1 car garage. Nice fenced in yard for dogs. 2 miles to DMU. Walking distance to grocery store, downtown Beaverdale. 3 blocks from the bike trails (inter-Urbandale). My landlord likes to rent to DMU students, so if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. Rent is $1000 per month. You pay utilities. Move in date would be August 1.

Hello All:

I need help deciding between DMU and UNECOM. If you could answer any and all of the following questions, that would be a huge help.

1.What is the arts, culture and music scene like in Des Moines?
2.What are people's political views?
3.Is there a local, organic food movement?
4.Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with third year rotations? Did you travel or just stay in Iowa?
5.Did you take electives? Which ones?
6.How would you describe the students?
7.How would you rate DMU's program compared to other schools?
8.Are there a lot of people interested in global health?

Thanks!

Hello All:

I need help deciding between DMU and UNECOM. If you could answer any and all of the following questions, that would be a huge help.

1.What is the arts, culture and music scene like in Des Moines?
2.What are people's political views?
3.Is there a local, organic food movement?
4.Can you tell me a little bit about your experience with third year rotations? Did you travel or just stay in Iowa?
5.Did you take electives? Which ones?
6.How would you describe the students?
7.How would you rate DMU's program compared to other schools?
8.Are there a lot of people interested in global health?

Thanks!

1. Tons of stuff to do. Art museum features tons of world renowned artists. Always being updated. Wells Fargo Arena and other smaller venues draw big music acts. DMU is big into arts, especially Dr. Hoff - lots of stuff going on campus.
2. Varies. Very diverse. Very politically active city, especially around caucus time. Bill Richardson was in my neighborhood last caucus doing a meet and greet.
3. Big time. A lot of students join co-ops. You can split a veg program with a friend for $100 a month each. Farmers market here is one of the biggest and best (15 city blocks every weekend in the spring).
4. Stayed in IA for all but one (went to an allopathic institution). We have it pretty good compared to other schools. Lots of good preceptors, just need to ask around to make sure you get them. However, the lottery system will change when you get to third year. I have several posts about 3rd year rotations, so you can search to find them.
5. Yes. PBL biochem, clinical research methods and ethics. Lots to choose from if you want. They change from year to year.
6. We have a lot of students. I still see people on rotations that I've never seen before. You'll find your group of friends and you'll be close with them for years.
7. Can't really say, other than based on interviews. I really liked UNE and LECOM-Bradenton. But when comparing, DMU was cheaper than UNE by a lot. LECOM-B was too new at the time for my liking, but they are established now and have a great program. I can say that DMU just went through some curriculum changes to give students more free time - faculty felt students were being overwhelmed and stressed.
8. Yes. We have a global health department headed up by a physician who travels to find new sites for rotations. Lots of students go on trips 3rd or 4th year. I'm going to India next year with a group. People go to Mexico, Africa, India, Central America, Europe. They also have opportunities for 1st and 2nd year students. Check out the DMU website.

When does DMU COM starting interviewing people who are on the hold list? If we haven't heard back about an interview yet, should we assume that it means prob we won't?

I interview this friday and was wondering can i get any helpful advice? And when is the last interview day?

I interview this friday and was wondering can i get any helpful advice? And when is the last interview day?

Check out the interview feedback forum: http://www.studentdoctor.net/schools/school/dmu-com

My interview last year was pretty laid back. Make sure to review your application. I was asked specific questions from my application. Also, be ready to answer questions about places where your application may be lacking (low mcat, gpa, etc.). I was asked about a weakness in my application, but other than that, they just asked questions about me. It's not too bad. Show enthusiasm about DMU and Osteopathic medicine.

not sure when the last interview day is. If you have any specific questions, just let me know.

I also interviewed on 3/12 and I called this morning checking on the acceptance emails. Anna said some of the committee members were out of the office last week and we should get a reply by the end of this week. :xf:

I have tried several searches on the web, as well as the schools website to see a list of any possible clinical rotation sites with DMU for the third and fourth years. Does anyone have know where this can be found? I found a link on another thread; however, it did not work.

Sorry Scooper, I couldn't find a link for this. I know there are some rotations in Ohio, Detroit, sites all throughout Iowa, and other ones that i cannot remember right now. If I come across a link, I post it for you.

Also, 4th year here is pretty wide open (which is an awesome thing). There's only 8 weeks of required rotations, and the rest of 4th year is electives. This should give you a great opportunity to do audition rotations at several places you're interested in.

Sorry Scooper, I couldn't find a link for this. I know there are some rotations in Ohio, Detroit, sites all throughout Iowa, and other ones that i cannot remember right now. If I come across a link, I post it for you.

Also, 4th year here is pretty wide open (which is an awesome thing). There's only 8 weeks of required rotations, and the rest of 4th year is electives. This should give you a great opportunity to do audition rotations at several places you're interested in.

Thank you, for trying. I had the same problem. It is no big deal now, I turned down the interview. I still find it odd that they don't list the hospitals that students will have to match to in the third year. Maybe there is something to hide.:confused:

I also interviewed on 3/12 and I called this morning checking on the acceptance emails. Anna said some of the committee members were out of the office last week and we should get a reply by the end of this week. :xf:

I called yesterday as well, and Anna said the same thing, and that decisions would hopefully be out by the end of the week.. but now that I think about it, tomorrow is easter.. so i guess we unfortunately have to wait until early next week??