This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After reading this I feel stuck. I don't know whether to shake this guy's hands down thank him for taking the time to write such an informative post that may prevent me from doing something I regret or to just keep it moving and focus on getting into dental school next year. My father is also a dentist, so a lot of this stuff he was saying, I can recall my dad going through the same issues(issues with insurance, over saturation,etc.).

However, when my dad was in dental school(in the 1980's) damn near everyone was telling him to get out of the profession before it was too late because of how rapid it was expanding....but that was back then and it's different world we live in now.

So I don't know what to believe. I feel like speaking with a bunch of doctors and just make my opinion from there.

This is exactly why this thread is a danger to very easily persuaded pre-dents like us. This one guy says it is bad and I linked to another guy also 5 years out who is killing it. And like I said in another thread every single job has saturation and there will be people who say choose something else.

But in all reality, I have met Many more doctors who aren't happy with their job than I have met dentist. Most doctors I have met say to stay away and most dentist say go for it.

The cold hard truth is that no job will ever have the pay, hours, and stress levels that we all hope to have. At least not any job that you can actually count on happening (not the pro athlete, actors and CEOs you see on tv)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
OP has some legit points. For all of you shadowing these dentists that work 3days a week/booked out, realize that it's taken years and years to get to that point. Having tons of debt while wanting a quality life is super hard. Don't follow the outliers or the super Debbie downers. If you really do want to pursue dentistry, goto the least expensive school.

Dentistry eats its young.

Reactions: 1 user
6a8d5e2df29b383ce48e26cdb58c3fdb.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is exactly why this thread is a danger to very easily persuaded pre-dents like us. This one guy says it is bad and I linked to another guy also 5 years out who is killing it. And like I said in another thread every single job has saturation and there will be people who say choose something else.

But in all reality, I have met Many more doctors who aren't happy with their job than I have met dentist. Most doctors I have met say to stay away and most dentist say go for it.

The cold hard truth is that no job will ever have the pay, hours, and stress levels that we all hope to have. At least not any job that you can actually count on happening (not the pro athlete, actors and CEOs you see on tv)

I would definitely agree with you. BTW, I also wanted to add that my dad still thinks it is a great profession and recommends it. Although, whenever he hears a new school opening up, he always mumbles sarcastically "oh great, another one..." lol

However, I will say, I was sitting in a MD's practice the other day and he was telling me the same thing you were saying. So...who really knows lol

All I want to say is that make sure you really want to do it. Dental school is physically, mentally, and financially draining...

lol he is making 160k 5 years out so he is not doing that bad..

It is just not as cushy as a lot of people think it is. You gotta do speed dentistry (backbreaking), be a sale man, move to somewhere not saturated, deal with decreasing reimbursements and come up with strategies to keep a steady flow of patients.

I think if it was just as simple just doing dentistry then everyone would be happy but the debt and for-profit nature of the business makes it not fun anymore.

even MDs upon graduation and match into EM work their butt off to get that salaries. that means on call, night shift, etc and burnt out issues.
please if you think MD's lives are enjoyable and fun go for it!

before you go, look up on how many MD and DO schools open these days to be thankful truly for the much slower opening of DS

the grass is always greener on MD side. you THINK HMO/PPO affect dentistry this negatively but it will leave medicine out? Medicine is affected very adversely by HMO and PPO. Wages drop across all healthcare field because of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm a nontraditional predent with a degree in finance/accounting.

First of all, many college/masters graduates with non medical degrees are lucky to even FIND a job, anywhere. If they do find a job, more than likely it's doing grunt work for $50k year with minimal raise. Then we hop on dental forums and see massive crying for anything less than 100k first year. Come on guys, we have it good! But I know this thread is more about dentists vs MD so here is my take.

I worked in the corporate world for several years and didn't like it at all. In that world, besides doing your best on your actual job, you have to play the politics game. Your career advancement depends so much on who likes you and who doesn't like you. To me, that's way too much work for very limited rewards. I'm also a man of freedom. I want to be able to do my own things and take full responsibilities. In the corporate world, you're not encouraged to be creative and change the status quo. Eventually, you'll become complacent, dull, and lifeless. Well guess what? Hospitals are corporation! I disliked the corporate environment back then and there is a great possibility I'll dislike working in hospitals in the future.

On the other hand, dental offices are run as small businesses, where the owner (the dentist) can take everything into his or her own hands. I understand there is competition,but surely it's not as bad as running a restaurant or a hair salon. For the amount of work and time we put in, the rewards are massive compared to almost everything else. Oh by the way, my main reason for choosing dentistry (besides the fact that I actually like teeth) over MD is being able to spend quality time with my family and not being on call for the rest of my life.

Lastly, 300k a year is really not that much. Dentists on average to me are more entrepreneurial than MDs. Compounded by the fact that we have more free time to explore other ventures, I'd say the ratio of 1mm+/year dentists are higher than 1mm+/year MDs.

Although there are some changes coming, I still believe dentistry is a fine profession.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
The other unknown factor in this discussion, is the OP a GOOD dentist? Like I said earlier, the one dentist in our town is a crook and does not have a stable patient base, mainly new people to town that can't get into the good dentists. He has had several sanctions against him by the state dental board, etc, etc, etc., so, maybe this OP just isn't a good dentist and thus his issues, we don't know and probably will never know the answer to that. I still think it goes back to location, which was probably already saturated before he got there.

DC metro/NoVA may be saturated with dentists, but it has a very high population. VERY.
This means that his patient pool is endless. Competition may be "fierce," but the patients will come unless they have a reason not to. It's all about reputation man. Why would they stay with a dentist who hates his job when they can go down the street and see a dentist who enjoys what he does? The beauty of a free market....

Reactions: 1 users
A dean told me, take care of your patients and the money will take care of itself. I'm in TX so hopefully I'll end up in a Texas school; maybe his advice will prove true with "lower" debt load.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This type of thread always makes its way around this time of the year +pity+

OP, I do believe you. However I think you have a very limited view of the market. Of course the DC metro area is saturated. And if you are speaking to the large percentage of students that eventually want to move to a large city, this is absolutely true.

I live in rural Louisiana. I ain't worried. ;)

Some of us enjoy rural areas. I'm one of them, saturation doesn't concern me. Find a niche' and you'll be fine. OP - the market is saturated in areas, but think how many people are looking for partners for more free time, how many people will soon be retiring. Find a new area to work if it is soooo saturated. Seriously. To those that must live in a certain area, commute to work somewhere in the suburbs or outside the saturation zone. Consult henry shein or paragon and ask them where there is need and less dentists. People get paid to find good markets. It's not all doom and gloom.

If anything we will be headed for more multi-owner practices but I don't forsee Walmart having dental offices complete with every dental specialty. This isn't pharmacy. This isn't retail, this is a service based field. If you want to work in a major city, you may have to get a partner of a different specialty and go into practice together. There are negatives to every career.

Also please don't complain about making 90k+. You are well above the average income for this country. Loans or not, be grateful because most people in America make it work off of ~$50,000. This is why you can't go into any medical field with $$$ on the brain. You have to go in with passion in your heart and a personal obligation to serve your community with the best dental care possible.

Also please don't complain about making 90k+. You are well above the average income for this country. Loans or not, be grateful because most people in America make it work off of ~$50,000. This is why you can't go into any medical field with $$$ on the brain. You have to go in with passion in your heart and a personal obligation to serve your community with the best dental care possible.

you are right. but with ~300k loan, a crown and a filling, you probably will push for a crown. Better longer term effect right? jk.

anyways, to commit that much time without expecting somewhat reasonable financial return does not make sense.

you are right. but with ~300k loan, a crown and a filling, you probably will push for a crown. Better longer term effect right? jk.

anyways, to commit that much time without expecting somewhat reasonable financial return does not make sense.
I wouldn't do that. I also wouldn't take out a $300K loan. I am applying in state only (TX) and will not go if it costs above $250k total. I'll be somewhere around $160K. Even if I decided to take on more debt, I wouldn't over treat to pay my loan.

I wouldn't do that. I also wouldn't take out a $300K loan. I am applying in state only (TX) and will not go if it costs above $250k total. I'll be somewhere around $160K. Even if I decided to take on more debt, I wouldn't over treat to pay my loan.
Many of us don't have that option. My instate school is 215,000 ish with just tuition (which continues to rise) not including living expenses. Also with undergrad it isn't unreasonable for people to have 300k+. That being said it's not about the money for me but if I went to school for 8+ years and undertake massive amounts of debt I sure hope I can make more than 90k. To put it in perspective look at it this way,

Student X goes to undergrad and gets an accounting degree. Total school cost= 30k lets say they land a pretty good job so they are making 60k (my friends gf just got offered this) so they are making 2x what they took out.
Student y goes to undergrad and gets a biology degree and then head to dental school. Total undergrad= 30k and Total Dental school= 200k so Total school debt= 230k. Lets say you get offered 90k. They would be making 0.4x what you took out (plus massive interest fees).

I understand that the 60k out of college may be high but even a job that pays 30k puts you and equaling what you took out. To make 3x more with 200k more debt is pretty insulting even if you aren't in it for the money. Anyway I also would never over diagnose and I'm not in it for the money nor am I complaining about school costs I just want to put it in perspective when others want to make at least 100k out of school.

Many of us don't have that option. My instate school is 215,000 ish with just tuition (which continues to rise) not including living expenses. Also with undergrad it isn't unreasonable for people to have 300k+. That being said it's not about the money for me but if I went to school for 8+ years and undertake massive amounts of debt I sure hope I can make more than 90k. To put it in perspective look at it this way,

Student X goes to undergrad and gets an accounting degree. Total school cost= 30k lets say they land a pretty good job so they are making 60k (my friends gf just got offered this) so they are making 2x what they took out.
Student y goes to undergrad and gets a biology degree and then head to dental school. Total undergrad= 30k and Total Dental school= 200k so Total school debt= 230k. Lets say you get offered 90k. They would be making 0.4x what you took out (plus massive interest fees).

I understand that the 60k out of college may be high but even a job that pays 30k puts you and equaling what you took out. To make 3x more with 200k more debt is pretty insulting even if you aren't in it for the money. Anyway I also would never over diagnose and I'm not in it for the money nor am I complaining about school costs I just want to put it in perspective when others want to make at least 100k out of school.

a lot of people on here forget the fact when making this comparison is that you compare with the least amount new grad dentist can make (90k$, which can go up) to the almost maximum amount an accounting/business/office job can get (just in general, theres exception). You know why ur friend's gf told u she will make 60k cuz it is ESPECIALLY high. no one will tell you if they make 30k out.

Most non-medical degrees I see around me make 30k or less out of school. Heck even new grad engineer usually make close to 40k......................grass is always greener i guess.

a lot of people on here forget the fact when making this comparison is that you compare with the least amount new grad dentist can make (90k$, which can go up) to the almost maximum amount an accounting/business/office job can get (just in general, theres exception). You know why ur friend's gf told u she will make 60k cuz it is ESPECIALLY high. no one will tell you if they make 30k out.

Most non-medical degrees I see around me make 30k or less out of school. Heck even new grad engineer usually make close to 40k......................grass is always greener i guess.
I was just basing it off of what was said I probably would have put it around 120k if it wasn't for the post about 90k.
Either way look at 30k to 30k (probably a little low like you said 40k is probably more reasonable). Thats 1. Say you take out 230k as a dentist and make the national average (which is probably a little high). 165k to 230k is .7x. Yeah it's closer but you are still taking out more than you will make (granted once loans are payed of you accrue money at a much higher rate). All the loans will be payed off and dentists have much more earning potential than a typical BS/BA degree and though the loans will almost always be more than you begin making you will in the long run make much more than your undergrad counterparts. I feel like many people tend to ignore this. Also one huge plus of being a Dentist is we have extremely low unemployment rates so we are almost always guaranteed at least some income but many other people aren't so fortunate in that job security. I am very willing to take out the loans for dentistry because for me it isn't about the money, I am very fascinated in the procedures and the knowledge that comes with being a dentist, I also love to help people and love to volunteer so I plan on being very involved in that respect.

I though I was an altruistic person, but look at all the humble servants of God we have on here o_O

If you can go to a dental school for 250k, then it's a no-brainer. The issue is with schools that cost 400k (but in reality more, due to interest), where you might very well struggle to just pay off interest on that loan.

I though I was an altruistic person, but look at all the humble servants of God we have on here o_O

If you can go to a dental school for 250k, then it's a no-brainer. The issue is with schools that cost 400k (but in reality more, due to interest), where you might very well struggle to just pay off interest on that loan.
Nah man, from the bottom of you're heart you're supposed to be okay with 400k of debt and bottom dentist pay despite doubling your schooling.

I can't agree with the OP. But to each it's own I hope he/she shys some of you away more open seats when I apply

Respect.

If he is working in Northern Virginia then he is right, there is a practice on every single block if not two. It is one of the most desirable places to live in the mid-atlantic and it is totally saturated. But guess what, all job markets are saturated. If you are going into dentistry for the money you should reconsider. If you love dentistry keep at it....you can't be scared of competition.

So, what is Plan B if you don't get into one of the 3 schools?

The average starting salary for a college grad is just under $50,000. Either you live in a really low cost of living area or your friends are not getting very good jobs. New grad engineers make over 60K in most parts of the country.

http://naceweb.org/s11182015/starting-salary-class-2015.aspx

The average starting salary for a college grad is just under $50,000. Either you live in a really low cost of living area or your friends are not getting very good jobs. New grad engineers make over 60K in most parts of the country.

Assuming that I do NOT get into a dental school below 250K, my plan B is either Med School or Software Engineering.

Last edited:
Dude, plan B is try again.

Dude, plan B is try again.

I love it! Great spirit.

I'll clarify my post, but I was under the assumption that I wasn't getting into a dental school with a total cost below 250K, not that I didn't get into dental school at all.

I will never take out 400K of loans.

Assuming that I do NOT get into a dental school below 250K, my plan B is either Med School or Software Engineering.

Have fun studying for the MCAT, that would be a pain haha

My plan A-Z is to try until I get in. In the mean time I can use my degree because I didn't major in bio/Chem.

What a cry-baby. "I work so hard and don't make 300k" boo-hoo..wtf... I'm drawn to dentistry because I want to take my skill-set, my business mind and strike out on my own. I love risk, pressure and hard work. If I have to move to Alaska to make enough money to pay off my loans, then I'm moving to Alaska. I would rather live in a rural area, be a staple of the community and work my tail off everyday than live in a metro area and whine because I cant get the new Mercedes or big screen. I will take more CEs to expand my skillset. I will take more business classes to expand my business knowledge. I will consult with mentors for advice. Pay off your loans and go to med school, don't cry on forums because your upset with your choices, go do something about it.

Reactions: 8 users
So - I'd like to begin by first saying that this is a throwaway, because I don't really feel like having any of you discover who I am - (never underestimate the power of the internet. Dentistry is a very “front” facing profession. Your mug will be plastered on the website of whatever office you decide to work at.) Because of this, I will try to keep personal details to a min.

What has compelled me to go back to SDN, and write what appears to be a memoir? I’m fed up with the field, and everything it stands for. My brother is EM physician (just finished his residency a few years back), and I am pretty sure I'm able to see both sides.

So, young‘uns - 1st - SDN has a reputation for being all doom and gloom. A “sky is falling mentality” I guess. Can’t say I chuckled when I first started going through threads several years back during dental school. But now as a graduate, and practicing dentist… its funny how things work out. The field is saturated, and due to market forces we, as dentists can’t really control, it is definitely headed in a downwards trajectory. Don’t say I didn’t warn you guys.

I graduated roughly 5 years ago. I came out with several hundred thousand dollars of debt. I didn’t think too much about paying them off - I figured I’d just start associating and the rest would take care of itself.

I’m making good progress on it - but my issues with dentistry lie not so much with the debt (although thats a huge part - especially nowadays. Other people have covered this - so I’m not going to delve into it too much), but other issues with the field most people wouldn’t think about if they were applying today.

1) SATURATION. I kid you not - Dentistry is headed towards a zero sum race to the bottom.
There really are too many dentists. Straight up - the field is headed the way of pharmacy. Dental chains are buying out every retiring dentist, and squeezing out completion. On the surface - you’re like “oh - well the ADA says that we’re facing a shortage of dentists! They NEED me!” No. Stop. If you actually think this, go back and apply to medical school, where residency spots are tied to funding, and can’t be multiplied 2x at a whim. I have friends who graduated in my class who are still stuck with 90k associating gigs.​

I firmly believe that the issue is mainly because 1) Too many grads with too many loans are flooding the marketplace, and more importantly - 2) Older dentists ARE NOT RETIRING. This is HUGE. If you go back to 2001-2002, people were saying that dentistry would be facing a shortage, that there wouldn’t be enough docs to make sure little Timmy’s tooth decay wouldn’t go unchecked.​

The reason why dentistry has been so hot recently? Well, articles like this: http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/slideshows/the-25-best-jobs-of-2015/2 and others in Business Insider, CNN, etc. I feel, are pushing a lot of people into the field who ordinarily wouldn’t have bothered looking at it.​

The numbers of dentists needed today per 100,000 people are less than what was needed two decades ago. Dentists today are more efficient, have broader training, and are capable of doing more (no more referring everything out - new docs are now doing extractions, Invisalign, you name it). But older docs aren’t retiring. What happens is a “semi-retirement” where the doc comes in 1 day a week, still owns the office, etc, and the poor associate is only making ~90k a year (60k after taxes, and 30k after repaying loans. I’m not kidding). This all resulted in a huge increase in the # of dentists, especially after the financial crisis. According to a recent ADA survey - 1/3 of dentists AREN’T busy enough! This is huge! In addition, the number of dentists has continued to go up EACH year, after the ADA said there was a shortage back in ~2005

2) The debt isn’t quite worth it anymore. I graduated 5 years back, and I thought my debt was a lot. For everyone intending to go 300-500k in debt, you realize thats 30k+ in interest every year? Paying pack 4k a month out of every paycheck? For what its worth - you’re making ~90k when you start. The way the field is now, a GPR is basically essential. You realize you’re in school ONLY 2 years less than an EM physician? And they get paid ~330k when they start working. 2 extra years, and you quadruple your salary? I firmly believe anyone who is in dental school could easily have gone to med school, even if you need to do a postbacc - it’s within range. Strictly financially, Medicine has FAR more to offer.

3) You feel like a used car salesman with all the competition.

If you’re an introverted person, or are not comfortable “coaxing” people to accept procedures they might not otherwise, drop out of the field right now. This isn’t even corporate - its you trying to keep your office afloat/trying to pay your student loans. Yes, that patient 50/50 could have a crown or no, but if YOU don’t do it, another dentist down the street IS going to do it, and pocket the $2000 themselves.

Back in the day (think 80’s) if a tooth didn’t hurt/bug the patient, the dentist left it alone. Nowadays, with every one and their mom is trying to sell each patient a full mouth reconstruction (as well as offering massages and other bull**** remedies) is it no wonder people don’t take dentists seriously? No joke, the office down the street from me is a “Dental Spa” that offers a full range a skin rejuvenations, massages, and other girly/try-hard stuff I’ll have to ask my wife about because I don’t know what any of it is

4) Backbreaking work. No joke it’s only been five years, and my lower back is killing me very day. My hands hurt, and my shoulders feel like they're made of stone. Add in the fact I'm looking at mouths all day - the novelty has worn off.

5) The job itself leaves much to be desired. You clean/fix teeth. Thats it. You don’t do complex jaw surgeries (no, Mr. Oral Surgeon - you don’t. You pull 3rds all day in private practice pretending you're a doctor) and you definitely don’t do anything reconstructive asides from teeth. You’re a glorified tooth mechanic. Now don’t get me wrong - I love what I do - but there are other things that now, after several years of practice, I feel like I would also derive pleasure from doing.

6) Insurance companies will f****** gut you and leave you to die on the street. Reimbursements are going down . You might ask — “why does this affect me? I’m going to run a FFS practice!” It affects you because FFS is only viable in certain areas - Anywhere from 0% (lol you wish) to 80% of your payer mix will be PPO. Delta Dental is the bane of my existence and basically a monopoly in several places - they provide dental insurance coverage for 1/3 of the adults in the United States. This monopoly is FEDERALLY protected - meaning there’s no competition for dental benefits/price. The McCarran–Ferguson Act (http://healthcarereform.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001890) basically allows this. I can’t drop them because 40% of my patients have their insurance, and last year when they decided to cut fees in my area by 5%, I got screwed to the tune of 70-80k in lost income. This leads me to my next point…

7) Dentistry is influenced by market trends/the squeezing of the middle class. The middle class is getting squeezed. Now this definitely affects you, because 20+ years ago, many, many more jobs were unionized, more people had dental insurance, and more people took the time to see the dentist. Average family income (adjusted for inflation) hasn’t risen in a decade! Things like raising the minimum wage, for example, will actually HELP dentists because it makes the average person more likely to afford/see a dentist. But the way it is now, the average family is poorer than they were 10 years ago, and this translates to less than 50% of us adults actually having dental insurance and an even smaller amount using it.

8) Other minor things - such as running an office, insurance write-offs, dealing with people in general, and lack of respect among EVERYONE (the latter being a pretty small issue, as least for me - but I know how neurotic everyone is on SDN, so this might be something to keep in mind)​

Now - all this might seems sort of convoluted. I’m typing this right now after a particularly frustering day at my office. I can see how this profession might have worked a decade or two ago. But I swear to god - I’m not sure if the next 10 years are going to be very much fun for anyone. I have zero bargaining power with insurance companies. Incomes have stagnated - and as a new dentist, you can expect maybe 90k-120k or so - and you’ll be stuck at that level for 2-5+ years. The real kicker is the saturation though. All the rest, most people can deal with. But when 4+ offices go bankrupt in my suburb every year - I’m starting to realize that the field is cracking. Incomes are slowly decreasing - I expect within 5 years or so average starting salary for an associate will be in the 80-100k range (it already is in a lot of places)

For all the people who think I’m some sort of SDN troll - heres a QA section for ya:

Q. You sound mad - well, I’ll have you know- I’m going to be a super dentist! I’ll be the one to buck trends and pay off my 400k loans in 5 years! Just watch me!

A. Ok, Jimmy, good luck. With 400k in loans, no bank is going to loan you money to even purchase a practice. You’ll be making 90k for the next 7 years. You can moonlight as a doctor while in residency and make more than that

Q. Why did you even go into Dentistry if you hate it?

A. I still like dentistry - it’s just that the field is dying, or at least, headed towards a huge “market correction” and I can see it clearly from my vantage point. I feel like a pharmacist circa 2000 making 120k, and life was good. Fast forward 10 years…

Q. Where are you pulling that figure from - 90k as a starting salary of a dentist? Every survey I see says 140k.

A. Those salary surveys are compounded over years and years - meaning they still have data from 2005 when associates used to be paid $500+ a day and 35%+ of production. That doesn’t exist anymore. Today, you can expect to make 90k to 120k if you want to live anywhere within 100 miles of a major city. And if you say that you won’t - you’re lying. This is EVERYONE. Don’t lie to yourself and say you want to live in an oilfield in North Dakota. You guys are what - 19-20 years old in the forum? Do you guys understand that at 27/28/29, when you graduate/finish your residency, you’ll be thinking of getting married. Getting settled down, having a wife and kids - and trust me, your wife won’t want to wake up and chase moose off your property.

Q. Where do you see dentistry in 10 years?

A. At the same level as pharmacists, job opportunity wise. Salaries will continue to drop, and the dentist/population ratio will skyrocket leading to declining income (Hell, my income dropped ~30k as an owner the past two years.) If there isn’t a dentist in every Walmart by then, well color me surprised (KIDDING - most will probably be in strip malls, to be honest). Loans will render most graduates unable to purchase practices because they’ll be owned by chains, and most dentists will just be employees making peanuts for their education (look at pharmacy - the other field that doesn't have mandatory residencies/where it's easy to open up a school)

Q. You mentioned your brother was an EM physician. Is how does he view things in the healthcare field right now?

A. First and foremost, I should state my brother doesn't give a f*** about dentists. As in - while Dentists (even the predents in this forum) have this insecurity complex about not being "real doctors", the number of times "dentist" crosses my brothers mind is laughably small. When was the last time you thought about an optometrist? When you needed new glasses 3 years back, otherwise you forget they exist. Thats how 90% of people view dentists

Now for the meat. My brother makes (slightly adjusted) around 320k gross income right now. His first contract out of fellowship was for around 275k. I make around 160k as an owner. 2 years back, I was at 190k, but Delta Dental decided to cut my reimbursement, and now I'm working twice as hard to woo patients to get their teeth taken care of so they don't show up in front of my brother in the ER because of an abscess. I don't give massages or have a spa at my practice, so another few points docked for me.

Physicians like to moan and groan about how the government is out to get them, their pay will be docked, etc. But the fact is - it's not going to happen - at least anytime. The AMA is extremely powerful, and there are well over 1 million physicians in the United States. Supply and Demand doesn't even play a role, because the number of residency spots is governed by government funding levels (which hasn't risen in a decade), and thanks to political gridlock, probably wont rise for the 20 years.

Dentists - all you need is a new school, and suddenly over a 10 year period, you have 1500 new dentists in one geographical area.... all trying to sell you a massage along with your prophy...

My final word to you all? Do anything else. Trust me. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Signed,

-A Current Dentist

PS. I'm posting this here because I realize many of you are too young and don't/are unable to frequent DentalTown. I'm simply keeping guys in the loop. I would have appreciated it if someone did for me back in the day when I was applying - I'm just passing it forward.

Dear OP/Doctor,

Thank you for sharing this information on the SDN forums. We don't get to hear perspectives likes yours very often, and I really appreciate you taking the time to put together the detailed overview/perspective on the profession, and for sharing it with us on here.

I wish you the best of luck in the future!

What a cry-baby. "I work so hard and don't make 300k" boo-hoo..wtf... I'm drawn to dentistry because I want to take my skill-set, my business mind and strike out on my own. I love risk, pressure and hard work. If I have to move to Alaska to make enough money to pay off my loans, then I'm moving to Alaska. I would rather live in a rural area, be a staple of the community and work my tail off everyday than live in a metro area and whine because I cant get the new Mercedes or big screen. I will take more CEs to expand my skillset. I will take more business classes to expand my business knowledge. I will consult with mentors for advice. Pay off your loans and go to med school, don't cry on forums because your upset with your choices, go do something about it.

Tough talk from a pre-dent.

Correction :Tough talk from a grown ass 30 year old man, boy.

That's right! I think many people fail to realize that some of us lowly predents may not have earned our DDS/DMD yet, but we are older and have been getting first hand experience in the real world. Many of us have full time jobs, families, kids, mortgages, etc. And we are trying to get into school while juggling these responsibilities. It all comes full circle when we are in a position to provide advice to the dentist who is ready to purchase their first home, plan a wedding, have their first child, and other life events that we have already experienced, even though we are ONLY predents.

I completely agree with you. If you are doing what you love like you say then things will fall into place. This isn't a degree in calligraphy we are getting here. We will be fine!! I've lived in the real world and most people (individually earn) around $45,000 a year. Even with student loans, it's still nice to be paid as much as 6 figures. Especially in your twenties.

Won't Medical school cost more than 250K too though?

Won't Medical school cost more than 250K too though?

You can have your loans forgiven through PSLF 10 years after med school since most hospitals are non-profit organizations. Time spent in residency training will still count towards those 10 years.

You can have your loans forgiven through PSLF 10 years after med school since most hospitals are non-profit organizations. Time spent in residency training will still count towards those 10 years.

WHAT?!

Not the years after if you are private practice though.
Might as well do dentistry and do HPSP or NHSC. Especially considering you would rather be a dentist than a physician.

I just think most people here tend to accept the positive comments and are too quick to turn away the negative. He's been through the trenches and has experience. Don't think he deserves to be jumped on.

I just think most people here tend to accept the positive comments and are too quick to turn away the negative. He's been through the trenches and has experience. Don't think he deserves to be jumped on.

I do. He may have been through the trenches of d-school and 5 yrs experience, but he is still going through the trenches of dental practice and he's not doing so hot. So is it the profession? Or is it him?
He talks of HOW SATURATED it is and how he regrets it and how he's not viewed as a real doctor. Saying the words "don't get me wrong - i love what I do" randomly placed in that ridiculous diatribe to justify his own profession was just...ridiculous. All he did was further lose credibility.
His chief complaint was the saturation from new grads, so after a particularly frustrating day he gets on SDN to tell predents to run the other way as fast as we can. Even the thread title reads desperation. I don't know the guy but I'm fairly certain it's not because he cares so much about us. It is also a sign as to his character. Maybe that's another reason he's struggling.
I understand and agree with your point, we quickly turn away negative because we need to justify all of our hard work that we have put out to be at this point. If it is not justified, then what was the point, right? Why did we waste our time? But I can confidently say that's not the case here. He has achieved ONE of the goals we are all trying to accomplish here, but that does not mean he know everything about the profession.

"Boohoo!! I only made $160K last year!! This profession and the field are going down the crapper!!"

Reactions: 5 users