Do you live with other MD/PhDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flashcard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most incoming MD/PhD students live with other med students, with other MD/PhDs or by themselves? I’m sure it varies from school to school, but just want a general idea…

Members don't see this ad.

up to you...highly variable depending on location and the individual

Do most incoming MD/PhD students live with other med students, with other MD/PhDs or by themselves? I’m sure it varies from school to school, but just want a general idea…

I lived with another MD/PhD student when I first started school. It was a good situation for awhile, but then I ended up dating my housemate and we can all imagine how well that went.

The lesson? Be careful when choosing to live with (or especially date) someone within such a small circle. Things can get awkward fast.

Members don't see this ad :)

I lived with another co-MD/PhD my first year of school, and then I bought a house. Then I had another MD/PhD roommate. Then my GF moved in, and it was all over for me.

I lived with another co-MD/PhD my first year of school, and then I bought a house. Then I had another MD/PhD roommate. Then my GF moved in, and it was all over for me.

Haha. That's pretty good, but I think I can top it:

I lived with another MD/PhD for my first year. I then moved into an apartment with a different MD/PhD for three years for so. After that I moved in with my GF who was also one of my MD/PhD colleagues. Then we got married, and it was all over for me.

Oh, and my brother is an MD/PhD student at a different program. I can't get away from these people!

I lived with another MD/PhD for my first year. I then moved into an apartment with a different MD/PhD for three years for so. After that I moved in with my GF who was also one of my MD/PhD colleagues. Then we got married, and it was all over for me.

Oh, and my brother is an MD/PhD student at a different program. I can't get away from these people!

:D looks like you win. At least you win the "most overtrained household" award.

I think I can top you!

year 1 = lived by myself
year 2-3 = lived with two other MD/PhDs
year 4 = lived with one other MD/PhD
year 5 = lived with one other MD/PhD + his GF --> his wife
year 6 = lived with one guy I found in he University classified who ended up stealing my stuff so I had to break the rental contract and move out
year 7 = lived by myself
year 8 = :D (the happiest year) got married and lived with my wife!

and here's the kicker . . .

intern year = lived 52 miles from the hospital. Can't tell you how lucky I was to avoid a car accident after those heinous 36 hour call nights!

Thus far, on my own. I live quite a ways from my school, but there are several other PhD or MD students in my area (no MD/PhDs, though).