Jan 13, 2010
Status (Visible)
Do most incoming MD/PhD students live with other med students, with other MD/PhDs or by themselves? I’m sure it varies from school to school, but just want a general idea…

dmblue

10+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
up to you...highly variable depending on location and the individual

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Do most incoming MD/PhD students live with other med students, with other MD/PhDs or by themselves? I’m sure it varies from school to school, but just want a general idea…

I lived with another MD/PhD student when I first started school. It was a good situation for awhile, but then I ended up dating my housemate and we can all imagine how well that went.

The lesson? Be careful when choosing to live with (or especially date) someone within such a small circle. Things can get awkward fast.

About the Ads

gbwillner

Pastafarian
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
You've got the Touch- You've got the Power!
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I lived with another co-MD/PhD my first year of school, and then I bought a house. Then I had another MD/PhD roommate. Then my GF moved in, and it was all over for me.

Shifty B

10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I lived with another co-MD/PhD my first year of school, and then I bought a house. Then I had another MD/PhD roommate. Then my GF moved in, and it was all over for me.

Haha. That's pretty good, but I think I can top it:

I lived with another MD/PhD for my first year. I then moved into an apartment with a different MD/PhD for three years for so. After that I moved in with my GF who was also one of my MD/PhD colleagues. Then we got married, and it was all over for me.

Oh, and my brother is an MD/PhD student at a different program. I can't get away from these people!

gbwillner

Pastafarian
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
You've got the Touch- You've got the Power!
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I lived with another MD/PhD for my first year. I then moved into an apartment with a different MD/PhD for three years for so. After that I moved in with my GF who was also one of my MD/PhD colleagues. Then we got married, and it was all over for me.

Oh, and my brother is an MD/PhD student at a different program. I can't get away from these people!

:D looks like you win. At least you win the "most overtrained household" award.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2004
SF Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I think I can top you!

year 1 = lived by myself
year 2-3 = lived with two other MD/PhDs
year 4 = lived with one other MD/PhD
year 5 = lived with one other MD/PhD + his GF --> his wife
year 6 = lived with one guy I found in he University classified who ended up stealing my stuff so I had to break the rental contract and move out
year 7 = lived by myself
year 8 = :D (the happiest year) got married and lived with my wife!

and here's the kicker . . .

intern year = lived 52 miles from the hospital. Can't tell you how lucky I was to avoid a car accident after those heinous 36 hour call nights!

Lil Mick

5+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2009
The South
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Thus far, on my own. I live quite a ways from my school, but there are several other PhD or MD students in my area (no MD/PhDs, though).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads