DREXEL DPMS 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TEAVANAD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I saw the tremendous support the DPMS alum had to offer in the previous years and thought I'd start a new thread for any super early bird applying for next year! I am new to post bacc programs all together but for now, if anyone has thoughts on what the best Drexel path is for someone with a pretty low MCAT (496) and GPA (3.2) Holler!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi! Applying to DPMS for 2021-2022 cycle. URM, taking MCAT in january, 3.2 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA, good extracurriculars and experiences. Low end of the stick stats over here!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Also planning on applying to the DPMS program. 3.6 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA, 497 MCAT. I tried to apply to the program but the DPMS isn't able to select in the program dropdown menu. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to select medicine first and then select the dpms

Hi everyone! Also hopping on this thread:) Taking my MCAT in January and striving to make Track 2 (no MCAT retake).

Wooooo! So this is for everyone that would be theoretically graduating undergrad in 2022 right?

Wooooo! So this is for everyone that would be theoretically graduating undergrad in 2022 right?
This is for anyone that is graduating this year or has already graduated undergrad. You have to have a bachelor's degree in order to apply to the DPMS program.

Hi y'all!!! Also planning on applying to DPMS 2021-2022. While not URM I am in the disadvantaged SES side. 506 MCAT, 3.35 cGPA and 3.17 sGPA, with a lot of research and clinical experience. Good luck for everyone working on their apps rn WE GOT THIS

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a specific essay topic and requirements for the "Application Essay" section?

Is there a specific essay topic and requirements for the "Application Essay" section?
Your personal statement and then the DPMS essay.
From the website:
"Describe ways in which you consider yourself an appropriate applicant to the program including what qualifies you as a disadvantaged applicant."

If applications are not rolling, when are they due?
Hello current M1, and Past-DPMSer, not sure when they will have it due this year, but for us and historically it was usually due around May 1

Cool, also would it be a bad idea to submit an app for DPMS if I'm still under consideration for the medical school (reapplicant, no ii last year and this year)? Thank you so much for your response!
Hmmm that is a good question, but I do not think it should be an issue. I do know though that DPMS and the MD program have separate admission committee. You could email DPMS admissions and double check!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent in their application yet?If not then when do you guys recommend submitting it... like would it be too soon to submit it right now? Thanks!

Is anyone else having problems submitting their BCPM GPA? I filled it out and submitted it and it said successful. But it still says my GPA calc hasn't been received yet and when I click on the calc page, it shows my BCPM gpa but all the fields are empty?

Someone mentioned before that DPMS was online for the 2020-2021 class. Does anyone know how they plan on doing it this coming year?

Someone mentioned before that DPMS was online for the 2020-2021 class. Does anyone know how they plan on doing it this coming year?
I feel like there isn't enough information right now for colleges to decide. I know Spring 2021 is online for mostly all colleges in my area, so I'm assuming they're going to see how the vaccinations play out and decide this Summer? Or maybe even earlier

Sorry about the double post but just got my complete email haha

Has anyone sent in their application yet?If not then when do you guys recommend submitting it... like would it be too soon to submit it right now? Thanks!
I submitted my application about a month ago. LORs came through super early fortunately.

Reactions: 1 users
Your personal statement and then the DPMS essay.
From the website:
"Describe ways in which you consider yourself an appropriate applicant to the program including what qualifies you as a disadvantaged applicant."
Thanks for explaining. Would you happen to know if there is a word limit for either essay? I know the AMCAS personal statement has a limit so should we just stick to that?

Hi guys. I'm graduating in May and planning to apply to DPMS program.

I'll be taking the MCAT in March, and my score will be coming out in April. Anyone else planning to take the March exam? The turnaround is pretty quick but I need the time to study.

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming cycle!

Thanks for explaining. Would you happen to know if there is a word limit for either essay? I know the AMCAS personal statement has a limit so should we just stick to that?
I didn't see an exact word limit. It seems like some past applicants used their AMCAS personal statement, so I don't think it would be an issue. If you're unsure, you could always contact the school.

On other threads, I have seen a lot of the high GPA/low MCAT combination of acceptances. Does anyone know of acceptances of low GPAs? Less than 3.0? I know the website says 2.9 cGPA or sGPA, but still urges you to apply if you're under the recommended GPA.

Hello all;

I am applying for the program as well. First off, I wish the best of luck to everyone. I wanted to ask how long it typically takes for MCAT scores to be received? I sent it on the 11th and also on the 12th, but it still lists my score as awaiting.

Hello all;

I am applying for the program as well. First off, I wish the best of luck to everyone. I wanted to ask how long it typically takes for MCAT scores to be received? I sent it on the 11th and also on the 12th, but it still lists my score as awaiting.
I think mine was received within the week!

On other threads, I have seen a lot of the high GPA/low MCAT combination of acceptances. Does anyone know of acceptances of low GPAs? Less than 3.0? I know the website says 2.9 cGPA or sGPA, but still urges you to apply if you're under the recommended GPA.
I have a lower end GPA and median MCAT and I am going with the flow. I've seen DPMS students say they have a wide stat range in older threads. The only way you'll never know is to not apply.

Last edited:
To anyone who sent in their application in, did you guys do the online math science GPA calculation form? I submitted my application but when I click on the link for the form it just takes me to my application checklist page.

To anyone who sent in their application in, did you guys do the online math science GPA calculation form? I submitted my application but when I click on the link for the form it just takes me to my application checklist page.
That's odd. I'm assuming you are talking about the checklist and the how the link appears. I would say refreshing your page and trying again. I had a different issue with the form when I completed it but it did not show up as completed. But after logging back in, that solved the issue.

That's odd. I'm assuming you are talking about the checklist and the how the link appears. I would say refreshing your page and trying again. I had a different issue with the form when I completed it but it did not show up as completed. But after logging back in, that solved the issue.
It actually ended up showing up after like a day. I guess the system just needed some time to show it after submitting the application. Thanks for the help tho!

It actually ended up showing up after like a day. I guess the system just needed some time to show it after submitting the application. Thanks for the help tho!
Glad to hear, and best of luck to you through the application process!

Hey guys! I sent this to a past DPMS-er and was curious if I could get a response on here too. I'll paste my message below. I'm just unsure of how to write the description part of the Professional Experience section. Is it supposed to be like a Likedin style description or a storylike description like how you did the activities section on your AMCAS. Thanks!

1610905014458.png

Hi Guys,
Do you think I have a chance in this program? I have a 3.7 overall, 3.58 science, very low mcat (484). I am retaking next week. I have great extra circulars: shadowing surgeons, volunteering, mentorship, pharm tech(3+years), 3 year summer medical internship, a student worker at diversity office, etc. The only thing holding me back is the MCAT. I am also low income- first gen.....

Also can someone explain what track one and track two means? Online i just see the DPMS for minority and low income is 1 year pathway.

Thank you

Hey guys! I sent this to a past DPMS-er and was curious if I could get a response on here too. I'll paste my message below. I'm just unsure of how to write the description part of the Professional Experience section. Is it supposed to be like a Likedin style description or a storylike description like how you did the activities section on your AMCAS. Thanks!

View attachment 327667

Hi there, current DPMSer here!

I would email the admissions team for answer because the guidelines may have changed since last year!

Hi Guys,
Do you think I have a chance in this program? I have a 3.7 overall, 3.58 science, very low mcat (484). I am retaking next week. I have great extra circulars: shadowing surgeons, volunteering, mentorship, pharm tech(3+years), 3 year summer medical internship, a student worker at diversity office, etc. The only thing holding me back is the MCAT. I am also low income- first gen.....

Also can someone explain what track one and track two means? Online i just see the DPMS for minority and low income is 1 year pathway.

Thank you

Hey there!

We always say to apply, apply, apply! You will never know if you don’t take that chance and apply. People are accepted every year with a very wide range of stats, and your MCAT score does not put you at a disadvantage, so please apply!

If you are in track 1, that means that you were accepted with an MCAT score below 499, so during the year you will have to retake the MCAT and get a score of 499 and above with a 123 and above in each section in order to matriculate into the medical school.
If you are in track 2, that means you were accepted with a 499 and above MCAT score and do not have to retake the MCAT. You will take additional courses during the year to balance the workload with Track 1.

do any of you know the average length for the DPMS essay? Are there any guidelines for it?

do any of you know the average length for the DPMS essay? Are there any guidelines for it?
I didn’t see any guidelines so I just wrote out everything I felt I wanted to say did a bunch of edits and it ended up being around the same length as my personal statement so like 5300 characters I think

I just got accepted into the IMS program, just got the call! Does anyone know when decisions for the DPMS program come out?

Reactions: 3 users
I just got accepted into the IMS program, just got the call! Does anyone know when decisions for the DPMS program come out?
Congrats! I could be wrong about this, but from what I read they start going over application next month, start giving interviews in March, and then final decisions are made in May. Also if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Reactions: 3 users
My undergraduate school does not send electronic transcripts. Since drexel is not accepting mailed transcripts at the moment, did any of you find an alternate way to submit transcripts for the checklist?

Edit: They accepted my unofficial transcripts!

Last edited:
Hey does anyone know if you have to apply to a secondary grad program if applying to DPMS? I know that it says highly suggest it but I'm trying to figure out if that's suppose to serve as back up

Hey does anyone know if you have to apply to a secondary grad program if applying to DPMS? I know that it says highly suggest it but I'm trying to figure out if that's suppose to serve as back up
I did not apply to any other program, so I'm not sure if it is required.

do you all think there is going to be a significantly higher number of applicants for DPMS this year? Medical schools everywhere have seen like 30% in applicants because of the "fauci effect."

do you all think there is going to be a significantly higher number of applicants for DPMS this year? Medical schools everywhere have seen like 30% in applicants because of the "fauci effect."
The ‘Fauci Effect’ is BS perpetuated by AMCAS. You can’t just wake up one morning and apply to medical school unless you’ve been planning to apply to medical school all along. The increase in applications was likely due to change in FAP guidelines from 300% the national poverty level to 400%. The surplus can also be explained by non-traditional applicants losing jobs and deciding to apply instead of waiting, or by extending the MCAT into the end of September and convincing applicants that the cycle will be adjusted accordingly.

DPMS may see an increase in applicants, but less than 20% of AMCAS applicants are disadvantaged to begin with. So it’s unlikely that much, if anything, will change.

Just my 2 cents. The Fauci effect genuinely irritates my soul considering he’s really the face of public health.

Edited to include that this isn’t at all a dig at you and a fine question to ask, that article was just absolutely insane.

Reactions: 5 users
The ‘Fauci Effect’ is BS perpetuated by AMCAS. You can’t just wake up one morning and apply to medical school unless you’ve been planning to apply to medical school all along. The increase in applications was likely due to change in FAP guidelines from 300% the national poverty level to 400%. The surplus can also be explained by non-traditional applicants losing jobs and deciding to apply instead of waiting, or by extending the MCAT into the end of September and convincing applicants that the cycle will be adjusted accordingly.

DPMS may see an increase in applicants, but less than 20% of AMCAS applicants are disadvantaged to begin with. So it’s unlikely that much, if anything, will change.

Just my 2 cents. The Fauci effect genuinely irritates my soul considering he’s really the face of public health.

Edited to include that this isn’t at all a dig at you and a fine question to ask, that article was just absolutely insane.

I absolutely agree with everything you said. I've been planning for this application cycle for years, so it was wild to hear that all these "new" applicants appearing out of nowhere.

Edit: nice sdn name haha

• Care
You're not required to. It provides you with options potentially. Also, the applications for the other programs they recommend that you apply to (e.g. IMS) are easy to complete. You can transfer all your demographic data and letters of recommendation so you don't have to do another application from head to toe.

hey!

looking to apply as well. waiting on my mcat score and seeing where to go from there

Did anyone apply to the Drexel IMS program this year? Curious to hear what people's opinions are about it