Edward Via - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys know if VCOM requires a drug test? I read some schools do but I didn't see anything for VCOM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I second that. Would also be a courtesy to others who are waiting to come off the WL.
So i just emailed the school i didnt want to attend and i canceled my acceptence. Canthe school i wanna attend still withdraw me?

So i just emailed the school i didnt want to attend and i canceled my acceptence. Canthe school i wanna attend still withdraw me?
You are asking the wrong people my friend. If you really want an accurate answer I would contact your school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was shown some love today from VCOM :))

Reactions: 1 users
Received a call 2 days ago informing me that they had not had much movement on the WL, so they offered me a spot in the class of 2021 next year if they could not accept me this year.
Anyone else get this call?

Reactions: 1 user
VCOM is an amazing school, keep me updated for all of the class of 2020 folks. I almost went here, but a gut feeling kept me away (nothing bad, just a feeling). Would like to know how it goes!

Received a call 2 days ago informing me that they had not had much movement on the WL, so they offered me a spot in the class of 2021 next year if they could not accept me this year.
Anyone else get this call?

When did you interview?

I interviewed 4/21 and was accepted into the waitlist (they told us then that only the waitlist was available at that time). I didn't get the call to move into the class of 2021, but I would like to see if that's still a possibility!

When did you interview?

I interviewed 4/21 and was accepted into the waitlist (they told us then that only the waitlist was available at that time). I didn't get the call to move into the class of 2021, but I would like to see if that's still a possibility!
I interviewed 3/7. I know they rank their WL so I am just assuming that I am high enough they didn't want to lose me even if they get a spot this year. This isn't something they can offer to many people I'd guess, so I feel very grateful. But if you're high on the WL its a possibility I'm sure.

Last edited:
Withdraw my acceptance here, so good luck to you guys on the waitlist!!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my acceptance here today. Goodluck to all those still on the waitlist. VCOM Auburn is a great school. They possess a very friendly and welcoming environment. It all came down to finances and staying close to home.

I seriously love all these withdrawal posts. Thanks for letting us know and please keep them coming (lol).

anyone accepted to VCOM from the VCOM postbac program before? do you think the VCOM postbac was helpful in gaining admission and learning in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone accepted to VCOM from the VCOM postbac program before? do you think the VCOM postbac was helpful in gaining admission and learning in general?

I was accepted to VCOM through the post-bacc program this year. It was definitely helpful in gaining admission, its a program where you can essentially guarantee that you get a seat in a medical school as long as you work hard for 4 months and make the 3.6 GPA cutoff (and mcat)

When is the white coat ceremony this year? Also does anyone have orientation dates?

I recall orientation being July 18 and 19.
For those that were on the wait list but have been offered seats next year...if they do have to pull us to start this year do you think the latest will be orientation day? Does anyone have any info on this?

For those that were on the wait list but have been offered seats next year...if they do have to pull us to start this year do you think the latest will be orientation day? Does anyone have any info on this?
They don't really give us an answer, I've asked few times and there is no date they can give us. I really don't like waiting for the whole summer to be called in last minute. If anyone knows anything please let us know.

How have you been notified? Email? Snail mail? Both?

They don't really give us an answer, I've asked few times and there is no date they can give us. I really don't like waiting for the whole summer to be called in last minute. If anyone knows anything please let us know.
I can see them pulling us in on orientation day (but would definitely prefer to be given a few days notice), however I certainly would not like to be pulled in on the first day of classes!

I think we will see more Waitlist movement this week since the May 15th deadline just passed.

How have you been notified? Email? Snail mail? Both?
Email first. Was told snail mail was on its way.

I'm assuming that I was offered this acceptance because the wait list has not been moving, but I do have a gut feeling that the wait list will begin to move pretty dramatically and the majority of us guaranteed for next year will end up starting this year! What does everyone else think?

Last edited:
Email first. Was told snail mail was on its way.

I'm assuming that I was offered this acceptance because the wait list has not been moving, but I do have a gut feeling that the wait list will begin to move pretty dramatically and the majority of us guaranteed for next year will end up starting this year! What does everyone else think?

I really rather wait to be accepted next year so I don't have to wait the whole summer. I know some prefer to get in this year and some next year, so I hope someone suggests that to them lol.

So 2 week sago I was told that I would be accepted to the class of 2021, but as of last week I have been accepted for the class of 2020! So keep hope the waitlist is moving!

On another note, I am so exited to be in Auburn in July!

Reactions: 2 users
Nice! Sorry about the questions, I'm currently accepted for class of 2021 bc the wait list hasn't moved yet, but I have a feeling the list is going to move a lot soon and think I may have to start this year. I'm kind of in the dark about a lot of student info so this really helps.

Last edited:
Anyone who was offered a spot next year if not accepted this year yet receive the follow-up letter in the mail as the email said we would?

When did you receive the email?

Got the call April 28th, never got an email other than the recent "pulse on the waitlist email", and the email in March saying I was on the waitlist. In the call she said we would receive the letter in about 3 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the call April 28th, never got an email other than the recent "pulse on the waitlist email", and the email in March saying I was on the waitlist. In the call she said we would receive the letter in about 3 weeks.
Oh 3 weeks is a long time. The other batch of 2021 acceptances (at least mine + others) went out 5/11 so we should get our letters around 6/1.

Anyone who was offered a spot next year if not accepted this year yet receive the follow-up letter in the mail as the email said we would?

When they offer a seat for the class of 2021. What does that mean? Does that mean we are high on the waitlist?

When they offer a seat for the class of 2021. What does that mean? Does that mean we are high on the waitlist?
I got that offer April 27th then a spot May 5th. Obviously it depends on the volume of withdrawals, but I'd take it as a good sign!

Gonna ask what might be a dumb question...I had scheduled myself for an MCAT prep course starting in 2 weeks.. only paid the refundable deposit...with regards to the email stating I'm on the WL and if not accepted this fall, will be guaranteed a seat next fall, I'm safe to cancel my course now and consider myself accepted yes? I had hought about waiting for that hard copy letter to come first before canceling.

Gonna ask what might be a dumb question...I had scheduled myself for an MCAT prep course starting in 2 weeks.. only paid the refundable deposit...with regards to the email stating I'm on the WL and if not accepted this fall, will be guaranteed a seat next fall, I'm safe to cancel my course now and consider myself accepted yes? I had hought about waiting for that hard copy letter to come first before canceling.

In my opinion, Yes cancel it. You already have that email in writing so don't put yourself through the mcat unless you wanna apply to other schools next cycle. Honestly, this year off could be a huge blessing-travel, make extra money, spend time with bae as much as possible. Because it's going to be a really really difficult 4 years of literally no life! Good luck buddy!

Has anyone else given a guaranteed 2021 spot been pulled to start this year yet?

Yup people are being pulled. I know two who definitely got off in the last two weeks.

In our interview we were told that last year there were about 100 people on the waitlist and by the time classes started, there were only about 20 people left on the list. This was kind of confusing. They accept 150 per class. So, they consider the class full at about 70 people, and then fill up the rest of the class from the waitlist, approx. 80 additional people? If so, then in our case are there still 70 or 80 spots left and they’re slowly filling them? Or was that just the case last year, and now the class is full, and we are waiting for people to drop out? Or are there still people deciding on which school to go to, even though I thought there was a deadline for that. Anyone have any insight on this process?

In our interview we were told that last year there were about 100 people on the waitlist and by the time classes started, there were only about 20 people left on the list. This was kind of confusing. They accept 150 per class. So, they consider the class full at about 70 people, and then fill up the rest of the class from the waitlist, approx. 80 additional people? If so, then in our case are there still 70 or 80 spots left and they’re slowly filling them? Or was that just the case last year, and now the class is full, and we are waiting for people to drop out? Or are there still people deciding on which school to go to, even though I thought there was a deadline for that. Anyone have any insight on this process?

Wow, you echoed my exact thoughts. Perhaps call them and see what they say? Ms. Oliver Is pretty candid about the process so I'm sure she might be willing to shed some light. They're very understanding about how nervous we all must be :)

Huh? I am confused by your question (I don't mean to offend I'm just not sure if you are asking what I'm thinking). I'm assuming they have given out 150 acceptances already, but the thing is people who "accept" this acceptance may also be holding onto multiple acceptances because they do not know where they will go yet/are holding onto this spot but waiting for an acceptance at another school. As these people with multiple acceptances finally decide where they will go, they will withdraw their acceptance from VCOM. Once withdrawn, a spot opens up so instead of 150 people in the "accepted class", there are now 149. The school will then pull someone from the wait list to fill this spot.

In VCOM Auburn's case, I'm assuming they pulled so many people off the wait list because they are a new school, and to most students, new = undesirable. Also I believe VCOM Auburn has a post-bacc program, which may or may not guarantee spots to people if they complete the program successfully. This would also decrease the number of available seats.

Huh? I am confused by your question (I don't mean to offend I'm just not sure if you are asking what I'm thinking). I'm assuming they have given out 150 acceptances already, but the thing is people who "accept" this acceptance may also be holding onto multiple acceptances because they do not know where they will go yet/are holding onto this spot but waiting for an acceptance at another school. As these people with multiple acceptances finally decide where they will go, they will withdraw their acceptance from VCOM. Once withdrawn, a spot opens up so instead of 150 people in the "accepted class", there are now 149. The school will then pull someone from the wait list to fill this spot.

In VCOM Auburn's case, I'm assuming they pulled so many people off the wait list because they are a new school, and to most students, new = undesirable. Also I believe VCOM Auburn has a post-bacc program, which may or may not guarantee spots to people if they complete the program successfully. This would also decrease the number of available seats.

That's the way I thought it worked. The confusion arose from it not being explained that way at the time. But even so, it also sounded like there was a deadline earlier this month for accepted students to decide, or is this on a school by school basis? In that case, we are waiting for someone to drop out?

That's the way I thought it worked. The confusion arose from it not being explained that way at the time. But even so, it also sounded like there was a deadline earlier this month for accepted students to decide, or is this on a school by school basis? In that case, we are waiting for someone to drop out?
Well not everyone that is offered a spot on the wait list will accept it.

AACOMAS CIB

"Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges report to AACOMAS the names and identification
of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical
college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names
and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions.
An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate
who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical
college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give
the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not
respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to
another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s)
which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn." (AACOMAS 2016 CIB pg 25)

"I'm assuming they pulled so many people off the wait list because they are a new school, and to most students, new = undesirable."

This. I'm certain this will change in the years to come as they become more established.

Does anyone know where I can find the private Facebook group for the class of 2020?

Same! I'm having trouble finding it. I'm currently waitlisted and offered a spot for class of 2021, but in case last minute they decide to pull, I would like to join the group!