Edward Via COM - Auburn (VCOM-Auburn) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really wanted to interview at ACOM, but they wouldn't look past my LORs (I had only one science faculty member, not two) and then I never heard back from them :( and def, that makes sense! Are you and your SO planning on attending the same school?

Either both to ACOM or me to ACOM and him to Auburn

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Of the schools I interviewed at, I LOVED ACOM the best. Definitely would have interviewed at VCOM if it was earlier in the cycle but I just can't justify being on a waitlist at this point after already doing all of the matriculation requirements for another school. Fingers crossed for you! Seems like a great program. :)

Just curious, how large is the class size at ACOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Make sure to take a look at the attrition rates when choosing your medical school. ACOM had a 100% final residency placement for their "eligible graduates". They only had 124 placements out of an inaugural class of 162. I wonder what made the other 38 ineligible....

http://www.acomedu.org/wp-content/u...7_Residency_Placement_Match_Results_FINAL.pdf

http://www.acomedu.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/ACOM_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Most medical schools, either MD or DO have drop out rates that the school tries to hide. Additionally, most schools have about 15% of a class that is held back each year. With that combination, my guess is half dropped out and half were held back, but who knows

Most medical schools, either MD or DO have drop out rates that the school tries to hide. Additionally, most schools have about 15% of a class that is held back each year. With that combination, my guess is half dropped out and half were held back, but who knows

Yeah on interview day a student told me to take the 2017 Match List with a grain of salt because they felt ACOM didn't provide their inaugural class with enough guidance for COMLEX/USMLE.

Make sure to take a look at the attrition rates when choosing your medical school. ACOM had a 100% final residency placement for their "eligible graduates". They only had 124 placements out of an inaugural class of 162. I wonder what made the other 38 ineligible....

http://www.acomedu.org/wp-content/u...7_Residency_Placement_Match_Results_FINAL.pdf

Probably not being able to pass their version of vcom's COMSAE exams. Don't all schools make you take their version of board exams before giving you the green light to actually take the boards? So without board scores then you won't be eligible to participate in the matching process, right? Idk

Some of their students also opt into doing the OMT fellowship between third and fourth year so they won't be included in the number because they graduate their fifth year instead of in fourth year.

Reactions: 1 users
My partner was waitlisted just now from last weeks interview. They said something about consideration for guaranteed admission into 2022 if not enough room this year? Is this a bad sign that they don't think he will get pulled this year? Anyone else get this message in their waitlist email?

Waitlisted today, interviewed on the 4th! Congratulations to those already accepted, and best of luck to the rest of you!

My partner was waitlisted just now from last weeks interview. They said something about consideration for guaranteed admission into 2022 if not enough room this year? Is this a bad sign that they don't think he will get pulled this year? Anyone else get this message in their waitlist email?

That's just their generic waitlist email

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an interview on the 6th of this month, and I too received an Email stating I had been selected for the waitlist. Congratulations for the others who were hoping for this as well. Hopefully we can all find a spot in the 2021 class! Is there a way to see your ranking on the waitlist?

Last edited:
I had an interview on the 6th of this month, and I too received an Email stating I had been selected for the waitlist. Congratulations for the others who were hoping for this as well. Hopefully we can all find a spot in the 2020 class! Is there a way to see your ranking on the waitlist?

Hey! Congrats! I had an interview on the 6th as well. Just got the waitlist email today

+1 to the waitlist. Hoping for some movement soon!! For those who've been waitlisted, what're yall's stats?

Did anyone from the beginning of the month NOT hear today?

Yeah I got the same e-mail. I think the "consideration" means that they'll pull a few students from the top of the waitlist to get DA's for next year. But according to last year's thread, an applicant was told that they had around 100 people on the waitlist and pulled 80 from it (including DA's). Has your partner been accepted elsewhere?

Yeah I got the same e-mail. I think the "consideration" means that they'll pull a few students from the top of the waitlist to get DA's for next year. But according to last year's thread, an applicant was told that they had around 100 people on the waitlist and pulled 80 from it (including DA's). Has your partner been accepted elsewhere?

Yeah he's got one other acceptance but it's at a school he doesn't like and then he's on 2 waitlists in the state where we live so it's a waiting game but not the end of the world. Hoping for the best for everyone who interviewed last week. I met some people's parents in the parking lot and they were very nice haha

+1 to the waitlist. Hoping for some movement soon!! For those who've been waitlisted, what're yall's stats?

Interview date: April 6, 2017
Ungrad GPA: 3.79
MCAT: 490
Unsure of sGPA but only made 2 B's in all science courses taken over the last 4 years.

I had the chance to interview with the Assistant Dean of Medical Education while at VCOM. He, along with Dr. Coffey, both told me that once prospects are interviewed MCAT scores were already considered. I was sure that because of my low MCAT score I would not get accepted. This gave me some relief, but I am still waiting to hear back since being waitlisted. I also had 300+ hours of clinical experience and OR shadowing for thoracic and cardiovascular surgeries. Best of luck to everyone! I hope this helped.

Interview date: April 6, 2017
Ungrad GPA: 3.79
MCAT: 490
Unsure of sGPA but only made 2 B's in all science courses taken over the last 4 years.

I had the chance to interview with the Assistant Dean of Medical Education while at VCOM. He, along with Dr. Coffey, both told me that once prospects are interviewed MCAT scores were already considered. I was sure that because of my low MCAT score I would not get accepted. This gave me some relief, but I am still waiting to hear back since being waitlisted. I also had 300+ hours of clinical experience and OR shadowing for thoracic and cardiovascular surgeries. Best of luck to everyone! I hope this helped.
Thank you for posting your stats. I will be applying in the upcoming cycle and I have similar stats (still no MCAT). I hope you receive good news!!!

Thank you for posting your stats. I will be applying in the upcoming cycle and I have similar stats (still no MCAT). I hope you receive good news!!!

No problem! Thank you so much! If I had to give any advice I'd say to focus extremely hard on the CARS and Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior sections. For sure study them all, but those two sections alone can boost your score tremendously. I had no prep going into that exam, but I met with a personal tutor that does tremendously with his students on all types of exam (ACT, SAT, MCAT, LSAT, GRE, Praxis, etc.). He is a literal genius. He focuses on all sections with his students, but EXTREMELY hard on those two sections. After working with him they typically add AT LEAST 5-7 points in each of those two sections alone. If I have to reapply next cycle I will be working with him 2-3 times each week for 3 hour sessions until I retake the MCAT. Good luck through your application cycle!

Anybody hear any news about waitlist movement yet?

Anybody hear any news about waitlist movement yet?

I actually called them last Friday to ask if they can tell me anything about the waitlist movement and they told me that they have a Ranked waitlist but is waiting for the Dean to approve. The Dean is out of town so when the Dean come back and approve, depending on where you are on the waitlist, you might get a call for DA. She said it should be either this week or next.

Stats are 3.55-3.6 GPA depending on how my final semester grades come out (Gross Anatomy was a bugger because we take it with the fourth year PT students with only a semester versus the whole year they get -_-). Also retaking O-Chem 2 currently, so the ACS may kill my A. MCAT was 501. Thanks for keeping us updated! Saves me a lot of time. Good luck to all!

Stats are 3.55-3.6 GPA depending on how my final semester grades come out (Gross Anatomy was a bugger because we take it with the fourth year PT students with only a semester versus the whole year they get -_-). Also retaking O-Chem 2 currently, so the ACS may kill my A. MCAT was 501. Thanks for keeping us updated! Saves me a lot of time. Good luck to all!

ACS final for O Chem 2, gross anatomy with PT students. Sounds like my schedule last Spring. I wonder if we crossed paths at the same undergrad school?

Got some love from Mrs. Oliver just now. If they can't offer me a seat this year, they're guaranteeing me a seat for next year. 4 gap years later, im gonna be a doctor, y'all!! INCREDIBLY grateful VCOM is giving me this opportunity!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Got some love from Mrs. Oliver just now. If they can't offer me a seat this year, they're guaranteeing me a seat for next year. 4 gap years later, im gonna be a doctor, y'all!! INCREDIBLY grateful VCOM is giving me this opportunity!!!
Congrats!!!!!! So happy for you!

Me too!!! I'm sooo excited I think we interviewed together. congrats

Me too!!! I'm sooo excited I think we interviewed together. congrats

Same here! Grats to both of you! Can't wait to meet everyone next year, or possibly even this year!

Reactions: 2 users
Officially released my seat at VCOM. I hope one of you deserving people get my spot. Good luck!!

Reactions: 4 users
upload_2017-5-9_13-15-0.png

Officially released my seat at VCOM. I hope one of you deserving people get my spot. Good luck!!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how often or how many people with deferred admissions end up getting pulled into the upcoming class at VCOM?

Does anyone know how often or how many people with deferred admissions end up getting pulled into the upcoming class at VCOM?
According to my email it specifically stated that this is not deferred acceptance. My understanding was that it was a courtesy email for those on the waitlist. I took it as a "you're top of the waitlist" and that it was still "quite possible" to get pulled off.

According to my email it specifically stated that this is not deferred acceptance. My understanding was that it was a courtesy email for those on the waitlist. I took it as a "you're top of the waitlist" and that it was still "quite possible" to get pulled off.
So you all got "top of the waitlist" emails?

I think when she wrote "This isn't a deferment for next year; you will need to take a seat if available this year" she just meant that we'd have to take a seat for this year if one opened up so it's technically not a "deferment". I believe we are still good as far as a guaranteed seat for next year goes. I wonder if it's ok to compare emails in case they're different? For reference, I interviewed on April 4th.

I think when she wrote "This isn't a deferment for next year; you will need to take a seat if available this year" she just meant that we'd have to take a seat for this year if one opened up so it's technically not a "deferment". I believe we are still good as far as a guaranteed seat for next year goes. I wonder if it's ok to compare emails in case they're different? For reference, I interviewed on April 4th.
Yea my understanding was that if called to start this year we must accept we can not say no I'll wait till next year. however we do have a guaranteed seat for next year if we do not get called to start this year.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea my understanding was that if called to start this year we must accept we can not say no I'll wait till next year. however we do have a guaranteed seat for next year if we do not get called to start this year.

I agree. My email definitely stated that I had a guaranteed seat for next year as well, and that if a seat were to come available I had to take it. Congrats to everyone that was accepted and that had a deferred acceptance! I can't wait to meet y'all!

I agree. My email definitely stated that I had a guaranteed seat for next year as well, and that if a seat were to come available I had to take it. Congrats to everyone that was accepted and that had a deferred acceptance! I can't wait to meet y'all!

Hey, I'm waitlisted at the other campus. I just wondering what your stats were so I could see if I even have a chance of getting the deferred acceptance? And if you're in state or out of state?

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I received a call from Mrs. Oliver this morning! She was able to offer me a seat for this year's class! Still waiting on the follow up e-mail. Best of luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 4 users
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I received a call from Mrs. Oliver this morning! She was able to offer me a seat for this year's class! Still waiting on the follow up e-mail. Best of luck to those still waiting!
I've been rooting for ya! Congrats!!!