This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AT_surf12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice from the SDN community, ideally those further along in the process than I, in regards to emergency medicine in general and EM residency. I am a third year DO student, still fairly uncertain what I want to do. I appreciate any help/advice and congrats to the 4th years finishing up interviews.

1. From what I gather, you will need 2-3 SLOEs before applying EM, so was wondering how early you should schedule aways to ensure you get those spots locked up.
Also, in regards to the aways, do you typically get to pick the shifts you work or is that scheduled for you? (asking about that because I am trying to plan a time to have a wedding and thought I might be able to schedule shifts early one away and late the next one, leaving some time in the middle..)

2. How late in the year do EM interviews typically run? Or is there a general consensus as to when most applicants have completed most of their interviews? (for similar purposes as above)

3. As a DO applicant, are aways/audition rotations as important when applying to the ACGME programs as everyone says it is for the AOA programs? (ie. will you still get interviews w/o rotating there?)

4. Again, from what I have read thus far, seems like the general advice in regards to step 1+2 & level 1+2 VS step 1 & level 1+2 is EM looks heavily at step 2 as well (for the DO applicants) so it would be crucial to take that as well? Similar to another DO who had posted, just want to be sure of this before I spend the extra time studying for step, as well as level, 2. On step 1 and level 1 I scored 231 & 565. Tentatively planning on taking a month off after 3rd year to study.

5. Would be interested in trying to do a sports med fellowship after EM, if I still liked EM most. I don't really know much about how difficult it is to obtain a fellowship in SM, so any advice on residency programs that might increase chances of this? Would it be important to try to match into an academic residency/chances of this based on scores? (I also have research in orthopedics w/ publication soon, SSP (DO honors), volunteer, etc..)

Thanks again for any help/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looking for advice from the SDN community, ideally those further along in the process than I, in regards to emergency medicine in general and EM residency. I am a third year DO student, still fairly uncertain what I want to do. I appreciate any help/advice and congrats to the 4th years finishing up interviews.

1. From what I gather, you will need 2-3 SLOEs before applying EM, so was wondering how early you should schedule aways to ensure you get those spots locked up.
Also, in regards to the aways, do you typically get to pick the shifts you work or is that scheduled for you? (asking about that because I am trying to plan a time to have a wedding and thought I might be able to schedule shifts early one away and late the next one, leaving some time in the middle..)

You can start to apply for aways when VSAS opens in February. There is a large variation between programs as to when they begin accepting applications (February - June). Once they receive your application it can take another 2-4 months until you're notified of a decision. Oftentimes you may not know till June (August rotations) or July (September rotations). There are however some programs that do not use VSAS (examples: UCLA, Harvard, JPS, Christus, Christiana, Hennepin, Resurrection). Some of these programs are accepting applications right now while others don't accept them till the Spring. Check each program's website for more specific information.

As for whether you can set up your own schedule, it varies by program. Some give you a prearranged schedule, while others have you sit down at the beginning of the rotation to pick out your own schedule. If you need to attend a wedding on a certain date it shouldn't be an issue to get the day off. Just email the medical student coordinator in advance to let them know before schedules are made. If not, you can usually switch shifts with other med students as a last resort.

2. How late in the year do EM interviews typically run? Or is there a general consensus as to when most applicants have completed most of their interviews? (for similar purposes as above)

The interview season runs from late October to early February. Most interview dates are in November, December, and January.

3. As a DO applicant, are aways/audition rotations as important when applying to the ACGME programs as everyone says it is for the AOA programs? (ie. will you still get interviews w/o rotating there?)

Aways are still very important. That being said, for ACGME programs you don't need to rotate there to get an interview.

4. Again, from what I have read thus far, seems like the general advice in regards to step 1+2 & level 1+2 VS step 1 & level 1+2 is EM looks heavily at step 2 as well (for the DO applicants) so it would be crucial to take that as well? Similar to another DO who had posted, just want to be sure of this before I spend the extra time studying for step, as well as level, 2. On step 1 and level 1 I scored 231 & 565. Tentatively planning on taking a month off after 3rd year to study.

If possible, try to take Step 2 before October. It will help since some programs require it prior to offering interviews. If you can't take it before then its not the end of the world though because most programs only require step 1 before offering interviews.

5. Would be interested in trying to do a sports med fellowship after EM, if I still liked EM most. I don't really know much about how difficult it is to obtain a fellowship in SM, so any advice on residency programs that might increase chances of this? Would it be important to try to match into an academic residency/chances of this based on scores? (I also have research in orthopedics w/ publication soon, SSP (DO honors), volunteer, etc..)

Look for programs that also offer a sports medicine fellowship. Its always easier to match at your home program.

Dead serious here -- If you're female and by "have a wedding" you mean the whole big church and reception thing, it's WAY over-rated and will be a time-suck like no other. My best advice is to keep it SUPER small if you can: <50 people at a nice restaurant. Or if that won't fly in your family, give your mother a 'mission statement' describing what you'd like and let your mothers plan the whole thing. Or elope. Or justice of the peace for the wedding, let Mom plan the reception. But the whole 'princess for a day' thing will strain your time, patience and resources greatly at a time when you need to focus on performing your best. Distractions at this time are not a great idea. (Remember also that studies show the duration of the marriage tends to be inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding.)

If you're a guy, your traditional role in a traditional American wedding can be so much smaller the above may not be necessary, providing your fiancee is understanding. (If she's not, don't get married!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Dead serious here -- If you're female and by "have a wedding" you mean the whole big church and reception thing, it's WAY over-rated and will be a time-suck like no other. My best advice is to keep it SUPER small if you can: <50 people at a nice restaurant. Or if that won't fly in your family, give your mother a 'mission statement' describing what you'd like and let your mothers plan the whole thing. Or elope. Or justice of the peace for the wedding, let Mom plan the reception. But the whole 'princess for a day' thing will strain your time, patience and resources greatly at a time when you need to focus on performing your best. Distractions at this time are not a great idea. (Remember also that studies show the duration of the marriage tends to be inversely proportional to the cost of the wedding.)

If you're a guy, your traditional role in a traditional American wedding can be so much smaller the above may not be necessary, providing your fiancee is understanding. (If she's not, don't get married!)
How did it get from EM advice to wedding advice? Someone had too much wine yesterday. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How did it get from EM advice to wedding advice? Someone had too much wine yesterday. :p

"1. From what I gather, you will need 2-3 SLOEs before applying EM, so was wondering how early you should schedule aways to ensure you get those spots locked up.
Also, in regards to the aways, do you typically get to pick the shifts you work or is that scheduled for you? (asking about that because I am trying to plan a time to have a wedding and thought I might be able to schedule shifts early one away and late the next one, leaving some time in the middle..)"

Actually, I think the problem was not enough wine! Which I'm now off to remedy -- :cool:

Reactions: 3 users
You can start to apply for aways when VSAS opens in February. There is a large variation between programs as to when they begin accepting applications (February - June). Once they receive your application it can take another 2-4 months until you're notified of a decision. Oftentimes you may not know till June (August rotations) or July (September rotations). There are however some programs that do not use VSAS (examples: UCLA, Harvard, JPS, Christus, Christiana, Hennepin, Resurrection). Some of these programs are accepting applications right now while others don't accept them till the Spring. Check each program's website for more specific information.

As for whether you can set up your own schedule, it varies by program. Some give you a prearranged schedule, while others have you sit down at the beginning of the rotation to pick out your own schedule. If you need to attend a wedding on a certain date it shouldn't be an issue to get the day off. Just email the medical student coordinator in advance to let them know before schedules are made. If not, you can usually switch shifts with other med students as a last resort.

The interview season runs from late October to early February. Most interview dates are in November, December, and January.

Aways are still very important. That being said, for ACGME programs you don't need to rotate there to get an interview.

If possible, try to take Step 2 before October. It will help since some programs require it prior to offering interviews. If you can't take it before then its not the end of the world though because most programs only require step 1 before offering interviews.

Look for programs that also offer a sports medicine fellowship. Its always easier to match at your home program.

Thanks for all the advice, help, & insight!

4th year EM applicant this cycle here.

1) 2 SLOEs is the bare minimum. 3 LORs is also the bare minimum. Ideally all letters should be SLOEs. But you can have 2 SLOEs and 2 other letters. But in an ideal world, you should have ATLEAST 3 SLOEs. As far as picking shifts goes, it depends on where you are. My home program you get to pick shifts and change your schedule however you please. At the institute where I did my away, you got handed down a schedule. I did 17 12 hour shifts on my away, wednesday conferences, journal club....it was extremely exhausting. Its not just the shifts you do on an away rotation, you try to be involved in their program as much as possible. You will not be able to schedule a wedding, there is no way, especially if its a super intense program like my Away rotation was (*cough* the first ever EM residency program *cough*).

2) Interviews go from Late oct (rare) to feb. Most people schedule their interviews through Nov, Dec, and Jan. My personal latest interview is Feb 10th, which I think is pretty late in the cycle. Most people on the trail right now are towards the end of the cycle. Again, you are sort of in control of your interviewing schedule as well (in a way atleast). I was on rotation during November, so I scheduled most things in Jan. If Nov was off for me, I would have been at the end of my trail as well. But right now I have 7 scheduled in Jan, which is an anomaly. Most people right now have 2-3 interviews left as they've done their share during Nov and Dec.

3) Away rotations are the most important part of your application period. Doesnt matter if you are DO or an MD. Away rotations can make or break you. Have honors in all your aways and you'll watch the interviews pour.

4) Step 2 is important. But I'll still maintain that SLOEs are the most important part of the application. I have a mid 240s and high 260s on my boards, but my high pass from my away rotation held me back from receiving interviews at hypercompetitive places like carolinas, vandy. Take that 1 month to study for step 2. Show a huge jump from your step 1 score. And the latest you should take it is 4 Wednesdays before Sep 15th. Your score needs to be in before application. Otherwise your application will seriously suffer.

If you have any questions, send me a PM. Like I said, I'm basically going through the interview cycle so might be able to answer questions.

Also, I just interviewed at a program that said that if they like you enough that they are matching you to rank, and that you are a DO applicant, they will give yuo a courtesy call and let you know so its easier for you to drop out of the DO match. Im sure there are more programs like that :)