Emergency Advice!!!!!!!!!!: academic + volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laxgirl06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have two 'situations' that I am looking for advice about:

Situation 1: Academic
In a conversation I had yesterday with my English professor, she decided to mention at the end that I should be prepared for an F participation grade (It's the last week of classes at my school). She mentioned that I come late to class several times (never remember coming late, except once for ED volunteering orientation, which I had asked her about and she said it was okay). She also mentioned that I don't participate in class, and that you learn by discussing things aloud. She said that if I complete the remaining assignments and do really well on them, I can get a B but she isn't sure what B. I was surprised, shocked, angry, etc....anyway, she sent an email that I seemed upset after our talk and that her door is always open if I want to talk...........O_O I am not really sure where to go from here...all of my other classes are on track for As or at least A-s but I don't want a B or lower in an English course (participation is 20%). She also mentioned matter of factly that she had told someone in my class the same thing, about the F participation grade....

Situation 2: Volunteering
I've been working in the Adult ED at a local inner-city hospital.... the experience hasn't been that great, I mostly just sit down and stare into space because everything is stocked and I don't feel bold enough to approach miserable-LOOKING patients and talk (what would I even say? we aren't even allowed to give water). Anyway, I befriended an ER tech but he is always busy in the triage room. What if I asked him to follow him in the triage room? The only thing is, I see a lot of people who whisper their medical problems because they want to keep them confidential, but some patients aren't confident enough to say they don't want someone in the triage room, etc. I emailed my coordinator and they said I would have to finish the required 60 hours before switching departments........................................................... O_________o

Any advice on one or both situations will be greatly appreciated. :D Good luck with final exams!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do the work she suggested and take the B
2. Take the required 60 hours and switch departments + ASK to help

Not sure why this is an emergency or an issue.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Work your ass off to get a B+.

2. You're a premedical student, and you shouldn't expect your time volunteering in the ED to be glamorous. You're not even the lowest rung on the ladder- you're the muddy, boot-stomped surface right below it. Talk to some patients and get over whatever issue is stopping you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would go volunteer at a free clinic or a smaller hospital where you'll get away with stuff you won't get away with at bigger hospitals
As for your grade, I'd just take the B+.. I got a B+ in English too, it was B.S but whatever.. one B+ isn't gonna kill my chances at med school
having a 3.6 is competitive for all but the top 20.. I aim higher than 3.6, but statistically a 3.6 is fine as long as my mcat is fine.

Hey guys, I have two 'situations' that I am looking for advice about:

Situation 1: Academic
In a conversation I had yesterday with my English professor, she decided to mention at the end that I should be prepared for an F participation grade (It's the last week of classes at my school). She mentioned that I come late to class several times (never remember coming late, except once for ED volunteering orientation, which I had asked her about and she said it was okay). She also mentioned that I don't participate in class, and that you learn by discussing things aloud. She said that if I complete the remaining assignments and do really well on them, I can get a B but she isn't sure what B. I was surprised, shocked, angry, etc....anyway, she sent an email that I seemed upset after our talk and that her door is always open if I want to talk...........O_O I am not really sure where to go from here...all of my other classes are on track for As or at least A-s but I don't want a B or lower in an English course (participation is 20%). She also mentioned matter of factly that she had told someone in my class the same thing, about the F participation grade....

I've been working in the Adult ED at a local inner-city hospital.... the experience hasn't been that great, I mostly just sit down and stare into space because everything is stocked and I don't feel bold enough to approach miserable-LOOKING patients and talk (what would I even say? we aren't even allowed to give water). Anyway, I befriended an ER tech but he is always busy in the triage room. What if I asked him to follow him in the triage room? The only thing is, I see a lot of people who whisper their medical problems because they want to keep them confidential, but some patients aren't confident enough to say they don't want someone in the triage room, etc. I emailed my coordinator and they said I would have to finish the required 60 hours before switching departments........................................................... O_________o

Any advice on one or both situations will be greatly appreciated. :D Good luck with final exams!

A little sick reading this. Bad attitude all around.
No one wants a B. But you took a class that was 20% participation. I don't know if you were late or not, I might have asked her if she kept a written record of who is tardy to class or if aside from the one instance of being late this was just her subjective memory. If she has it marked on paper taken at the time there's nothing you can fight there. If it's just "what she remembers" you're screwed still because she's choosing to remember you as tardy. I only mention that I would have asked on the off chance she keeps a written record and she could look and correct herself that I was only late the once, and hope that her being shown to be mistaken might make her rethink the whole situation. In any case, when you take a class that is 20% participation and you want an A you better see to it that you stand out positively, otherwise, you might have to accept that you were merely above average in this course and not outstanding.

As far as the volunteering situation, if you attend medical school you will have to spend MANY more hours than what you describe not only feeling bored or useless, but actively being emotionally abused at times. You will have to develop the skill of approaching miserable looking patients that you have no idea how to talk to. Instead of emailing the coordinator looking to get out of the experience, why don't you either review the materials on what the experience is supposed to entail and take to whoever you need to try to faciltate that, or ask the coordinator what you are allowed to do to get a more active experience?

If it is appropriate or within the bounds of the volunteer experience to accompany a tech to the triage room, it would be fine to approach them to ask if you can "shadow" them. Propose to them that one of you says to the patient "Part of this hospital's mission is education, I have/am a volunteer that adheres to our confidentiality policies that would like to observe with your permission."

Some places part of volunteering in the ED would allow you to bring patients pillows or blankets. That can be one place to start. Some institutions, once the patients are settled, you would be allowed to go in, introduce yourself as a volunteer interested in a medical career, and ask them if they would like to talk to you. You need to have some sense who to approach to do this. Some people will say thanks no thanks and others will love the the chance to bitch and pass the time.

Finding ways to make yourself useful or learning to educate yourself is part of the skill set that medical schools are looking for. That's one reason why this sort of volunteer experience is required.

Unless you have a GoPro strapped to your head and you videotaped you walking into class and looking at the clock to ensure you were on time, deal with the late aspect. If the class is a 20% participation grade, you need to voice your opinion and make yourself seen/heard. For future reference, in classes like that sit at the front and provide some sort of input (preferably positive and accurate). Teachers with big participation grades tend to remember those who sit up front as participants either by choice or the fact that you are right in their face and those in the back as individuals who do not contribute without being forced to. Just take the B and learn from the experience. A single B will not be the reason you do not get into a med school.

For the ED volunteer aspect, without knowing you and simply reading this, it sounds more like you are hoping someone just gives you experience. From the "staring off to space" and "not being bold enough to approach miserable-looking patients" makes me wonder a few things. The big one being, who the hell is excited to be a patient in the ER? How was your first day and orientation? Did you make an impression on the staff as a helper or a hindrance who will get in the way? Did you just follow around during orientation and nod your head? At every ED volunteer gig I have had (4 different states, 12 different hospitals) I have never run into a situation like yours unless it was brought on by the volunteer. The last volunteer I trained did this exact same thing and then bitched when the MD, DO, PA, NO, or nursing staff asked me or one of the other volunteers to assist during sutures, staples, codes, wraps, or instructing patients on proper use of crutches. She also sat around staring off into space or chatting with the techs at the tech desk during her 2-3 hours a week.

For the remainder of your time in the ER, see if you can provide patients or their families any form of assistance. If they ask for water or food, simply state that you would relay the request to their nurse or check with the nursing staff to ensure that it would not effect any possible medical plan they are evaluation the patient for. This prevents the patient from seeing you as someone who is worthless to them. Put yourself in their shoes, how would you feel if you asked for water and the person said "sorry I am not allowed to give you water." You should always be able to provide a pillow or blanket, if they are in stock, or an ice pack. If you do not know what you can or cannot do, ask the ED manager or the charge nurse on shift to clarify your role. Personally, if I am not already sitting with a patient, I try to check on the rooms at set intervals. At one of the smaller EDs that only had 15 rooms, I checked on patients every hour during an 8 hour stint just to see how they were doing. Typically this ends with the patient wanting to talk about something, asking what is taking so long for tests/doctor/nurse/meds/etc, or simply telling me to move on. This sparked a great relationship with the charge nurses. You are there to get interaction with patients, learn some skillsets required, AND to ease the burden of the staff. It is not just a take relationship.

In regards to the professor, I am speaking with her next week to clear some things up. I agree about the late comments and participation advice. I agree with basically what everyone said, I know it won't deter me from getting into med school.

For the ED volunteer aspect, there are some things I omitted/posted in other threads I created:
1) I have developed a relationship with an ER tech who offered me to accompany him in the triage room WITHOUT me mentioning anything about accompanying him (We had conversations about my interests, his career, etc.)
2) I am fully aware that my interpersonal skills with strangers need work, so that's another reason I made myself do something like this position, instead of a position with children, etc.
3) As far as I have observed, the ER techs work every other week, and one 'rotation' of techs usually just gossip amongst themselves, so those are usually the times the 'staring off into space' occurs. My difficulty has been not wanting to 'disrupt/annoy' them, even if they are just gossiping. Maybe I am not reading the social cues correctly, but the ER tech I developed a relationship w/ (and his colleague) were very excited to talk to me, ask questions, these other ones act as if I am not present. (Again, I say hello and say that I am checking in, but the conversation usually ends there)
4) I actually made a great connection with the ER tech who oriented me (actually two) BUT one does not work on my shift. The other one works in a specific section; but I haven't really seen him these past few weeks...
5) "If you do not know what you can or cannot do, ask the ED manager or the charge nurse on shift to clarify your role." Every ER tech I have talked to tells me a different thing.... some said to me they don't feel comfortable with me going into the rooms, some said they themselves don't go into a room to restock if there is an obstruction and or patient in the room, some say they do go in....
6) I have talked to my Volunteer coordinator who said that they understand shadowing occurs from time to time but my main priority is restocking (but ER tech's job description includes restocking, so when I get there, all 4 sections are basically full to the brim with blankets, that is when the 'staring into space occurs'

So, in short, are you saying that I should basically 'round' on each patient, and talk to them?
Another question I have for you, since you seem to know a lot about this, is, what about the staff? Should I approach people like nurses and introduce myself?

Unless you have a GoPro strapped to your head and you videotaped you walking into class and looking at the clock to ensure you were on time, deal with the late aspect. If the class is a 20% participation grade, you need to voice your opinion and make yourself seen/heard. For future reference, in classes like that sit at the front and provide some sort of input (preferably positive and accurate). Teachers with big participation grades tend to remember those who sit up front as participants either by choice or the fact that you are right in their face and those in the back as individuals who do not contribute without being forced to. Just take the B and learn from the experience. A single B will not be the reason you do not get into a med school.

For the ED volunteer aspect, without knowing you and simply reading this, it sounds more like you are hoping someone just gives you experience. From the "staring off to space" and "not being bold enough to approach miserable-looking patients" makes me wonder a few things. The big one being, who the hell is excited to be a patient in the ER? How was your first day and orientation? Did you make an impression on the staff as a helper or a hindrance who will get in the way? Did you just follow around during orientation and nod your head? At every ED volunteer gig I have had (4 different states, 12 different hospitals) I have never run into a situation like yours unless it was brought on by the volunteer. The last volunteer I trained did this exact same thing and then bitched when the MD, DO, PA, NO, or nursing staff asked me or one of the other volunteers to assist during sutures, staples, codes, wraps, or instructing patients on proper use of crutches. She also sat around staring off into space or chatting with the techs at the tech desk during her 2-3 hours a week.

For the remainder of your time in the ER, see if you can provide patients or their families any form of assistance. If they ask for water or food, simply state that you would relay the request to their nurse or check with the nursing staff to ensure that it would not effect any possible medical plan they are evaluation the patient for. This prevents the patient from seeing you as someone who is worthless to them. Put yourself in their shoes, how would you feel if you asked for water and the person said "sorry I am not allowed to give you water." You should always be able to provide a pillow or blanket, if they are in stock, or an ice pack. If you do not know what you can or cannot do, ask the ED manager or the charge nurse on shift to clarify your role. Personally, if I am not already sitting with a patient, I try to check on the rooms at set intervals. At one of the smaller EDs that only had 15 rooms, I checked on patients every hour during an 8 hour stint just to see how they were doing. Typically this ends with the patient wanting to talk about something, asking what is taking so long for tests/doctor/nurse/meds/etc, or simply telling me to move on. This sparked a great relationship with the charge nurses. You are there to get interaction with patients, learn some skillsets required, AND to ease the burden of the staff. It is not just a take relationship.

"You need to have some sense who to approach to do this." Can you please clarify what you mean by this sentence? Are you suggesting the same thing Marine2MD suggested, that I just approach each patient one by one?

I would go volunteer at a free clinic or a smaller hospital where you'll get away with stuff you won't get away with at bigger hospitals
As for your grade, I'd just take the B+.. I got a B+ in English too, it was B.S but whatever.. one B+ isn't gonna kill my chances at med school
having a 3.6 is competitive for all but the top 20.. I aim higher than 3.6, but statistically a 3.6 is fine as long as my mcat is fine.
Well, to be honest, I wouldn't really have a problem with getting away with stuff at this hospital. It is a big hospital, but the volunteer people aren't even there when I go, plus no one is really watching me that carefully.

I agree with Dr. Sticks. In addition, I think you should also apologize to your professor for always showing up late (even if you didn't) since that obviously pissed her off and be really sincere about it. The last thing you want to do is give off any sense of entitlement. Work your ass off on these last couple assignments and get that B+.

, to be honest, I wouldn't really have a problem with getting away with stuff at this hospital. It is a big hospital, but the volunteer people aren't even there when I go, plus no one is really watching me that carefully.

What? So you don't care that what you are doing is wrong? or care that you are violating policy? or that the hospital could get audited by JCAHO and FINED because of you? You really do not care? :nono:

You have a very careless definition of the word "emergency"

Members don't see this ad :)
It's her second thread with Emergency in the title. She also has a thread about the ER gig. I'm guessing she didn't like the responses she got before!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Well, to be honest, I wouldn't really have a problem with getting away with stuff at this hospital. It is a big hospital, but the volunteer people aren't even there when I go, plus no one is really watching me that carefully.
By get away I meant the actual health care workers let you be more hands on
and by that I don't mean they'll let you scope a patient, but they'll let you be more involved so you can learn more

Find a new volunteering venue...hospice, nursing homes, clinics...

Find a new volunteering venue...hospice, nursing homes, clinics...
Yeah, go somewhere where you will see people die. It's very humbling.. but then you get desensitized and it's nothing new

Yeah, go somewhere where you will see people die. It's very humbling.. but then you get desensitized and it's nothing new
Experience real emergencies and life will become less melodramatic

I don't feel bold enough to approach miserable-LOOKING patients and talk
I forgot how happy hospital/ER patients are supposed to be. Not like they're sick or anything. Or that you want to enter a career devoted to caring for them.

Very, very few pre-meds want to deal with mortality, so this volunteer venue is actually quite rare amongst applicants.
I think all pre-med should.. Heck, I think everyone should.

Reactions: 3 users
I forgot how happy hospital/ER patients are supposed to be. Not like they're sick or anything. Or that you want to enter a career devoted to caring for them.
Se might want to do plastic surgery in Beverly Hills.. lol

Very, very few pre-meds want to deal with mortality, so this volunteer venue is actually quite rare amongst applicants.

Dr. Sticks, I have to disagree with you.
I volunteer at a hospice- yes, it is still hard for me to interact hospice patients who are close to my age or younger but I love to interact with the older patients. They have taught me so much about life in general- sometimes, I feel as if they are there for me instead of me being there for them!

It has been approximately 6 months now that I have been volunteering at an in-patient hospice unit regularly; I have seen patients pass away 1 hour after I visited them, I have cried for them (sometimes with their family members,) I have spent time with their family members, especially the grandchildren who kept wondering what happened to their grandparents; at the same time, I was glad to spend a little time with the patients where we had meaningful conversations, where we did not talk about death, where we did not cry- I felt as if I was a light who bought a little joy in all these dark conversations that they were having with other people in these overwhelming environments.
I can not describe in words how humbled and valuable I feel when patients share their memories with me. I, personally, do not think people who work at hospice "get desensitized" rather they grow more mature as a person who is able to get through difficult situations (and conversations.) Listening, showing empathy, fulfilling someone's little wishes, and just being there for others- means you are empathetic and caring!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Uhm, did you not learn anything from your past threads that have gone up in flames? Anything about making overly dramatic titles, perhaps?

A) You've clearly failed to establish your presence in the classroom and/or forge a respectable relationship with your professor. The best advice I'd have is to suck it up and get as high a score as you can now. Any efforts to haggle the Prof for points will likely annoy her.

B) Lol. They clearly have guidelines and procedures which you've explicitly been made aware of. Follow the protocol, or go somewhere else. The ER's got more important things to deal with.

Uhm, did you not learn anything from your past threads that have gone up in flames? Anything about making overly dramatic titles, perhaps?

A) You've clearly failed to establish your presence in the classroom and/or forge a respectable relationship with your professor. The best advice I'd have is to suck it up and get as high a score as you can now. Any efforts to haggle the Prof for points will likely annoy her.

B) Lol. They clearly have guidelines and procedures which you've explicitly been made aware of. Follow the protocol, or go somewhere else. The ER's got more important things to deal with.
I learned a lot, most importantly that there are thousands of people that don't even know you in ANY capacity, yet they are waiting like HUNGRY WOLVES waiting to POUNCE on those that they deem inferior. They will stop at nothing to try and belittle you or insult your intelligence or prove they are superior. Despite all of this, and your condescending tone, I have much more useful things to do than stalk SDN posters and mentally take note of every forum they have posted. The spirit is greater than the flesh and if you don't know what that means, there's a reason why...

I stated several things in my post. If you aren't going to give non-sarcastic, constructive ADVICE then leave.

It's her second thread with Emergency in the title. She also has a thread about the ER gig. I'm guessing she didn't like the responses she got before!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Wait but can you and SkyDive Fox stop following me????

I learned a lot, most importantly that there are thousands of people that don't even know you in ANY capacity, yet they are waiting like HUNGRY WOLVES waiting to POUNCE on those that they deem inferior. They will stop at nothing to try and belittle you or insult your intelligence or prove they are superior. Despite all of this, and your condescending tone, I have much more useful things to do than stalk SDN posters and mentally take note of every forum they have posted. The spirit is greater than the flesh and if you don't know what that means, there's a reason why...
Wolves hunt in packs. I'm a fox. A skydiving one at that...

But seriously, you asked for advice (once again), and that's what you got. Maybe start making your titles less dramatic and you'd be taken more seriously.

No one is "following" you. I click on almost every thread asking for advice in pre-med. In fact, I didn't even recognize your username until I realized why the "EMERGENCY/ADVICE" title seemed familiar.

Dr. Sticks, I have to disagree with you.
I volunteer at a hospice- yes, it is still hard for me to interact hospice patients who are close to my age or younger but I love to interact with the older patients. They have taught me so much about life in general- sometimes, I feel as if they are there for me instead of me being there for them!

It has been approximately 6 months now that I have been volunteering at an in-patient hospice unit regularly; I have seen patients pass away 1 hour after I visited them, I have cried for them (sometimes with their family members,) I have spent time with their family members, especially the grandchildren who kept wondering what happened to their grandparents; at the same time, I was glad to spend a little time with the patients where we had meaningful conversations, where we did not talk about death, where we did not cry- I felt as if I was a light who bought a little joy in all these dark conversations that they were having with other people in these overwhelming environments.
I can not describe in words how humbled and valuable I feel when patients share their memories with me. I, personally, do not think people who work at hospice "get desensitized" rather they grow more mature as a person who is able to get through difficult situations (and conversations.) Listening, showing empathy, fulfilling someone's little wishes, and just being there for others- means you are empathetic and caring!

Personally;
After I saw death it seemed to be nothing special, it's not that horrific concept one used to know it as. I can't really describe what I think about death, but to me it's just nothing new after witnessing it. It's something as basic as a baby being born to me..
And as for if I feel sadness, I can't really say I do. It's just something that happened, and that's it.. it's over

OP, unfortunately I feel that your boredom type days in the ER won't end. I've worked registration and dispatch duties in small and mid sized ERs for a number of years and the ER volunteer typically always does nothing at a larger hospital, and many small hospitals don't have that type of volunteer position available. Honestly, I personally think it's wildly inappropriate for a volunteer to be in the room with a tech during triage. Hell, I think it's inappropriate as a registration clerk to be in the room while something is going on. But mostly I'm not sure the hospital has covered their HIPAA asses on YOU in the triage room. If you're wanting actual clinical exposure, your best bet is to get a registration, CNA, phlebotomist, receptionist, unit secretary type job. Also, shaddowing.....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OP, unfortunately I feel that your boredom type days in the ER won't end. I've worked registration and dispatch duties in small and mid sized ERs for a number of years and the ER volunteer typically always does nothing at a larger hospital, and many small hospitals don't have that type of volunteer position available. Honestly, I personally think it's wildly inappropriate for a volunteer to be in the room with a tech during triage. Hell, I think it's inappropriate as a registration clerk to be in the room while something is going on. But mostly I'm not sure the hospital has covered their HIPAA asses on YOU in the triage room. If you're wanting actual clinical exposure, your best bet is to get a registration, CNA, phlebotomist, receptionist, unit secretary type job. Also, shaddowing.....

Oh they cover HIPPA, at least where I went hippa was covered..
It was #1 priority over everything

Oh they cover HIPPA, at least where I went hippa was covered..
It was #1 priority over everything

Fair enough, I've never wanted to do ER volunteering (wonder why) so I don't know for sure. I guess honestly, I probably view it more of a respect for the patient thing, I think it's a little rude for the volunteer (many patients likely have no idea why a volunteer would want to be in the room) to be in the room.

You have a very careless definition of the word "emergency"
:p

e·mer·gen·cy
/noun

-Getting a B in a class and being bored at a volunteer gig.

Fair enough, I've never wanted to do ER volunteering (wonder why) so I don't know for sure. I guess honestly, I probably view it more of a respect for the patient thing, I think it's a little rude for the volunteer (many patients likely have no idea why a volunteer would want to be in the room) to be in the room.

Well I didn't specifically do e.r volunteering, but I did spend time with patients.
If the doctor/nurses are rendering care, yes it is rude If not invited stay out, and I'd never invite myself or ask.
I agree 100% there.. but I did interact with patients, many positions for volunteers in a social type job

Well I didn't specifically do e.r volunteering, but I did spend time with patients.
If the doctor/nurses are rendering care, yes it is rude If not invited stay out, and I'd never invite myself or ask.
I agree 100% there.. but I did interact with patients, many positions for volunteers in a social type job

The patient really has to be ok with it if the nurse/doctor has invited you. Though, idk... It still bothers me for some reason. I just don't ever want to disrespect or make anyone feel uncomfortable if I don't have to. Especially in the ER where many people are having the worst days of their lives, and others have a chest cold. :)

In regards to the professor, I am speaking with her next week to clear some things up. I agree about the late comments and participation advice. I agree with basically what everyone said, I know it won't deter me from getting into med school.

For the ED volunteer aspect, there are some things I omitted/posted in other threads I created:
1) I have developed a relationship with an ER tech who offered me to accompany him in the triage room WITHOUT me mentioning anything about accompanying him (We had conversations about my interests, his career, etc.)
2) I am fully aware that my interpersonal skills with strangers need work, so that's another reason I made myself do something like this position, instead of a position with children, etc.
3) As far as I have observed, the ER techs work every other week, and one 'rotation' of techs usually just gossip amongst themselves, so those are usually the times the 'staring off into space' occurs. My difficulty has been not wanting to 'disrupt/annoy' them, even if they are just gossiping. Maybe I am not reading the social cues correctly, but the ER tech I developed a relationship w/ (and his colleague) were very excited to talk to me, ask questions, these other ones act as if I am not present. (Again, I say hello and say that I am checking in, but the conversation usually ends there)
4) I actually made a great connection with the ER tech who oriented me (actually two) BUT one does not work on my shift. The other one works in a specific section; but I haven't really seen him these past few weeks...
5) "If you do not know what you can or cannot do, ask the ED manager or the charge nurse on shift to clarify your role." Every ER tech I have talked to tells me a different thing.... some said to me they don't feel comfortable with me going into the rooms, some said they themselves don't go into a room to restock if there is an obstruction and or patient in the room, some say they do go in....
6) I have talked to my Volunteer coordinator who said that they understand shadowing occurs from time to time but my main priority is restocking (but ER tech's job description includes restocking, so when I get there, all 4 sections are basically full to the brim with blankets, that is when the 'staring into space occurs'

So, in short, are you saying that I should basically 'round' on each patient, and talk to them?
Another question I have for you, since you seem to know a lot about this, is, what about the staff? Should I approach people like nurses and introduce myself?

1. Techs are great for some basic insights and minimum level exposure but half the time, especially in triage, all you can do is observe. Typically once the patient is in the room and the tech/nursing staff have deemed you capable, they MAY ask you for assistance with holding a patients arm/leg while they clean a site/wound so the MD/PA/NP can do their thing. Techs can give you some great insight about a patient (infectious contact, drop, fall risk) so you know what to look for or need to worry about when you get in there. They can also give you warnings about frequent fliers or an agitated patient who will not want anything to do with you. If you have formed a single relationship with a single tech, you might want to reevaluate what you are doing (this is assuming you do not show up only during his shift when there are no other techs).

2. Good, you know your deficiencies (step 1). Sitting off into space and staring because you don't want to talk to them instead of working on your deficiency and trying to overcome it does nothing. Get to step 2 - GO TALK TO PATIENTS.

3. Ok, backtrack to #1, 2 relationships with a rotation of techs. My personal thoughts, reevaluate your actions and positions. I say this because at one of my first volunteer gigs, the male techs would form relationships with the female volunteers to create a relationship - they spent every other day in nursing school, a master's program, or at work and refused to "form relationships" with the individuals they were in class with or at work with. As they stated, a volunteer is more likely to stop coming around if their relationship ends while they would still have to deal with their co-workers and classmates. Moving to the real aspect of 3 - read social cues. Not hearing the conversation, couldn't tell you what they are. You will have the gossip rotation/shift/team/clique at any location. Here, try to engage in parts of the conversation where it is appropriate. If they are in school ask them about their current courses or semester, many students love to complain about their hardships/tests or glorify enjoyable moments. If you do not believe me, read your own post. Say more than hello, this ties back into the issue with your teacher. IF they are ignoring it is for one of two reasons; they do not like you or you have no presence. Figure out which one and go from there. Either way, if the majority of techs (since you only mention 2 liking you) don't like you, it is very likely the nursing staff and MD/DO/PA/NP either do not care about you or do not even notice you.

4. Branch out, one tech you do not see and another who works in a separate section do nothing. See #3.

5. Each tech will tell you something different. I get it every single time. There are days I am doing vitals and cleaning wounds and other days where I am cleaning patients who soiled themselves for hours on end. Ask the charge nurse because guess who is going to get reamed if you are doing something you should not be doing? They cannot fire you, only ask you to leave. The charge nurse will get reamed and then fired. Charge nurses know their constraints and their staff and if they know you or have an inkling about your ability they will tell you what to do. Also, by the time you get to know the charge nurses, you get an idea of what they expect of you so you know what to do with each set of staff. If the tech does not want you to go into the room it could be for several reasons; infectious disease transmission, droplet protection, patient may be aggressive, or they just do not feel comfortable. Find out the reason but you are there to help them and get patient exposure, if you can't go into a room you are not getting patient exposure. Personal opinion, NEVER RESTOCK A ROOM WITH A PATIENT IN THERE. Only exception; trauma room in rare cases, leave that to the tech and nursing staff anyhow. Restock between patients as you clean the room, find a system that works for you and stick with it. If I know the room needs to be restocked and we are a revolving door, I have a cart with supplies and linen that I bring in with me to quickly restock and move on.

6. Yes, restocking is a big deal. It cuts down on time running around trying to find things. There is more than blankets and linens. Does your ER maintain several blood draw kits/baskets? Restock those. Restock the central supply area if you have one. If you see a nurse or a tech with a blanket, ask if you can take it to the patient for them. Help with bagging and sending labs. Clean rooms, tidy the break room, tidy the waiting room. If there is a huge backlog in the waiting room, go walk around the waiting room and talk to the individuals there. Assure them that they will be seen as soon as it is possible but do not give them any sort of timeline or false hope. Ask if the nursing staff or techs need assistance with walking a patient to a restroom.

While "round" is not the word of choice, yes. Check in on the patients and see if there is anything you can do for them. Begin with something along the lines of "Hello, my name is laxgirl06 and I am a volunteer here with XYZ. I just wanted to check in with you to see if there is anything that I could help you with or anything you need." Sometimes they go long periods of time without seeing any staff (Tech/nurse/MD/DO/PA/NP/hell even registration staff), this eases the staff and the patient by letting the patient know they have not been forgotten. Do this and I promise you will get some response from the staff, likely positive but might be negative. This will entirely depend on your current relationship with the staff.

If you have not already introduced yourself to the nurses, MD/DO/PA/NP and you have been there for more than 3 shifts you have already created an issue. Do you walk into someone's home and not say hello or introduce yourself? The staff spends 12 hours a day in there, likely eat their food at their desk or station. They live in that area for 12 hours a day, you should have introduced yourself on day 1 or the first time you saw a member you did not know. My personal exception to this rule; MD/DO/PA/NP. Wait until they are walking around in a manner that does not indicate they are busy, checking on a patient, or want to be disturbed. You hopefully have the ability to identify that. If not, wait until they come out of their office gossip and talk.

My personal thoughts; go better yourself and attempt to salvage your reputation here. If you have been volunteering here for at least a month (1 day a week, 3 hours min) you already have a reputation of some sort. Likely not good based on the information your provided.

Things you could do in the ER: Wrangle up wheelchairs when they go elsewhere, bring back visitors to patients, offer blankets

1. Techs are great for some basic insights and minimum level exposure but half the time, especially in triage, all you can do is observe. Typically once the patient is in the room and the tech/nursing staff have deemed you capable, they MAY ask you for assistance with holding a patients arm/leg while they clean a site/wound so the MD/PA/NP can do their thing. Techs can give you some great insight about a patient (infectious contact, drop, fall risk) so you know what to look for or need to worry about when you get in there. They can also give you warnings about frequent fliers or an agitated patient who will not want anything to do with you. If you have formed a single relationship with a single tech, you might want to reevaluate what you are doing (this is assuming you do not show up only during his shift when there are no other techs).

2. Good, you know your deficiencies (step 1). Sitting off into space and staring because you don't want to talk to them instead of working on your deficiency and trying to overcome it does nothing. Get to step 2 - GO TALK TO PATIENTS.

3. Ok, backtrack to #1, 2 relationships with a rotation of techs. My personal thoughts, reevaluate your actions and positions. I say this because at one of my first volunteer gigs, the male techs would form relationships with the female volunteers to create a relationship - they spent every other day in nursing school, a master's program, or at work and refused to "form relationships" with the individuals they were in class with or at work with. As they stated, a volunteer is more likely to stop coming around if their relationship ends while they would still have to deal with their co-workers and classmates. Moving to the real aspect of 3 - read social cues. Not hearing the conversation, couldn't tell you what they are. You will have the gossip rotation/shift/team/clique at any location. Here, try to engage in parts of the conversation where it is appropriate. If they are in school ask them about their current courses or semester, many students love to complain about their hardships/tests or glorify enjoyable moments. If you do not believe me, read your own post. Say more than hello, this ties back into the issue with your teacher. IF they are ignoring it is for one of two reasons; they do not like you or you have no presence. Figure out which one and go from there. Either way, if the majority of techs (since you only mention 2 liking you) don't like you, it is very likely the nursing staff and MD/DO/PA/NP either do not care about you or do not even notice you.

4. Branch out, one tech you do not see and another who works in a separate section do nothing. See #3.

5. Each tech will tell you something different. I get it every single time. There are days I am doing vitals and cleaning wounds and other days where I am cleaning patients who soiled themselves for hours on end. Ask the charge nurse because guess who is going to get reamed if you are doing something you should not be doing? They cannot fire you, only ask you to leave. The charge nurse will get reamed and then fired. Charge nurses know their constraints and their staff and if they know you or have an inkling about your ability they will tell you what to do. Also, by the time you get to know the charge nurses, you get an idea of what they expect of you so you know what to do with each set of staff. If the tech does not want you to go into the room it could be for several reasons; infectious disease transmission, droplet protection, patient may be aggressive, or they just do not feel comfortable. Find out the reason but you are there to help them and get patient exposure, if you can't go into a room you are not getting patient exposure. Personal opinion, NEVER RESTOCK A ROOM WITH A PATIENT IN THERE. Only exception; trauma room in rare cases, leave that to the tech and nursing staff anyhow. Restock between patients as you clean the room, find a system that works for you and stick with it. If I know the room needs to be restocked and we are a revolving door, I have a cart with supplies and linen that I bring in with me to quickly restock and move on.

6. Yes, restocking is a big deal. It cuts down on time running around trying to find things. There is more than blankets and linens. Does your ER maintain several blood draw kits/baskets? Restock those. Restock the central supply area if you have one. If you see a nurse or a tech with a blanket, ask if you can take it to the patient for them. Help with bagging and sending labs. Clean rooms, tidy the break room, tidy the waiting room. If there is a huge backlog in the waiting room, go walk around the waiting room and talk to the individuals there. Assure them that they will be seen as soon as it is possible but do not give them any sort of timeline or false hope. Ask if the nursing staff or techs need assistance with walking a patient to a restroom.

While "round" is not the word of choice, yes. Check in on the patients and see if there is anything you can do for them. Begin with something along the lines of "Hello, my name is laxgirl06 and I am a volunteer here with XYZ. I just wanted to check in with you to see if there is anything that I could help you with or anything you need." Sometimes they go long periods of time without seeing any staff (Tech/nurse/MD/DO/PA/NP/hell even registration staff), this eases the staff and the patient by letting the patient know they have not been forgotten. Do this and I promise you will get some response from the staff, likely positive but might be negative. This will entirely depend on your current relationship with the staff.

If you have not already introduced yourself to the nurses, MD/DO/PA/NP and you have been there for more than 3 shifts you have already created an issue. Do you walk into someone's home and not say hello or introduce yourself? The staff spends 12 hours a day in there, likely eat their food at their desk or station. They live in that area for 12 hours a day, you should have introduced yourself on day 1 or the first time you saw a member you did not know. My personal exception to this rule; MD/DO/PA/NP. Wait until they are walking around in a manner that does not indicate they are busy, checking on a patient, or want to be disturbed. You hopefully have the ability to identify that. If not, wait until they come out of their office gossip and talk.

My personal thoughts; go better yourself and attempt to salvage your reputation here. If you have been volunteering here for at least a month (1 day a week, 3 hours min) you already have a reputation of some sort. Likely not good based on the information your provided.

You did all this as an ER volunteer? I feel like that must break some kind of HIPAA rule

Besides HIPAA, I don't think that it's legal at all for a volunteer to clean a patient up, or even touch a patient.. Doing vitals? HUGE liability. I don't care how busy the nurse staff is, a volunteer should never touch a patient such as stated above. Those are basically CNA duties you described... Which require a state license.

Besides HIPAA, I don't think that it's legal at all for a volunteer to clean a patient up, or even touch a patient.. Doing vitals? HUGE liability. I don't care how busy the nurse staff is, a volunteer should never touch a patient such as stated above. Those are basically CNA duties you described... Which require a state license.

Seconding this. At the hospital I volunteer at we can under no circumstances provide any sort of medical care to patients, or even feed them.

@Green_Goose: Not sure where this would violate HIPAA so if you could expand I could better answer. I could see if I was accessing computer information to input the data might be iffy and especially if I was taking the information and passing it along. I get the vitals and give them directly to nurse 2-3 feet behind me so he/she can input into the computer. Yes, I have done all of that and more in certain states as a volunteer. With military volunteering in combat zones I have also done sutures but that's a story for a different time and place.

@Astharia: Not sure where you are getting the not legal to touch a patient aspect. Vitals I agree are a huge liability but there are 2 points I have not mentioned on here; 1. Certified EMT state licensed in a different state (simply haven't bothered with my current state), 2. State licensed CNA (3 different states - 1 set to expire in 2 months). Either way, I still only do vitals under the observation of the nursing staff (read: nurse is in there with me as I am doing it). Not because I don't know how or they don't trust me, hospital policy.

@jih: 100% agree, not authorized to provide any medical care as a normal volunteer. Licensed in my current state as a CNA, which was highly recommended to obtain by the volunteer coordinator at one of the hospitals I volunteer at prior to start volunteering there. Would have done it anyways for a part time gig, 2 birds 1 stone. With that, they allow me to do simple cleaning, under the supervision of a tech for hospital liability. Vitals, under the supervision of a nurse sometimes a tech.

Sorry, "not legal to provide care" is what it comes down to. I also don't think it matters if the volunteer has any licensure. The policy should be the same for all volunteers to protect the hospital. If you're looking for volunteer clinic experience, do a CNA gig with the free clinic, or as a volunteer EMT. The ER really isn't the appropriate place for it.

@Marine2MD I was just surprised you were given that level of responsibility at a simple ER volunteering gig. I'm not sure if this sort of thing falls under HIPAA, but it seems that most hospitals try to make the volunteers do only the most basic things, to reduce liability or something like that.

@Green_Goose It does not fall under HIPAA but I can see the shock and concern in regards to liability aspects. Not sure what to tell you. Perhaps I just get lucky and end up finding places that are willing to take that risk after a period of time spent there volunteering (for the most part, newest volunteer gig only wants us to play games with the patients, pediatric hospital). It started off with me just passing out blankets, water/food if the patient was allowed to have it, giving out ice packs, talking to patients, and cleaning rooms. It was a limited exposure aspect due to liability but it just increased with time and building a relationship with the staff. With my current ER gig, I had no intentions of doing more than the passing out of supplies, restocking, and sitting with patients if they needed someone to talk to but the MDs started pulling me into to rooms to show me something cool or teach me a short lesson. Might also have to deal with the fact that I am a CNA for a free clinic that is tied to the hospital network. Perhaps I was inaccurate in phrase for some aspects, the cleaning of wounds I do is really just running a saline wash over the wound so it can be seen and continue to do that while the MD/DO/PA/NP anesthetize, investigate, suture/staple. Anyhow, that is what I am allowed to do so that's what I go with.

Okay, I accept the challenge (and all the other suggestions that people on here made). I still have at least 45 hours left to go and I came here for advice and got some. I will read everything that has been said and put it into practice, then check back with everyone. :D