jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know where exactly I'm supposed to post this thread. This week is supossed to be my finals week, but I'm instead surfing facebook, watching people living and attempting to act like college students who have a night life and not that I want such a life because I have a boring and serious personality. I don't understand how premedical students are able ignore and act like life is normal and move on with the tasks they have to complete. I donno if it is this weeks stress that is making me leave studying and make me want to watch people and wonder when am I going to have such fun, or at this point should I reconsider my future profession into something else. Today I just one of those days when I open my book to study for organic test I think about what else in life am I missing out on. I wonder how most of you deal with such feelings or am I alone in this emotional rollercoaster?

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
a lot of us are out doing stuff because we don't let our classes consume us. we realize there is more to life than studying. maybe you need to make an effort trying to overcome your boring personality.

Ursa

woof
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I don't know where exactly I'm supposed to post this thread. This week is supossed to be my finals week, but I'm instead surfing facebook, watching people living and attempting to act like college students who have a night life and not that I want such a life because I have a boring and serious personality. I don't understand how premedical students are able ignore and act like life is normal and move on with the tasks they have to complete. I donno if it is this weeks stress that is making me leave studying and make me want to watch people and wonder when am I going to have such fun, or at this point should I reconsider my future profession into something else. Today I just one of those days when I open my book to study for organic test I think about what else in life am I missing out on. I wonder how most of you deal with such feelings or am I alone in this emotional rollercoaster?
My years in undergrad were very enjoyable because I figured out how to study and what suited me best. I followed the saying "work hard, play hard." Once you find out how you can study enough AND have fun, you will be happy! :) I can't tell you exactly how to study because I am not you, but I always suggest starting with the 8-5 method. It seems to get people on the right track.

Excluding my freshman year (where all I did was have fun and NOT study), I had ~3.9 and 30 MCAT. While studying for the MCAT, I still was able to enjoy a spring break trip to the beach with some friends without studying.

Remember, it's worth studying in the morning, in between classes, and in the afternoon (when you want to take a nap :)) so that you can go play at night.

Adaggiote

Removed
Oct 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
My years in undergrad were very enjoyable because I figured out how to study and what suited me best. I followed the saying "work hard, play hard." Once you find out how you can study enough AND have fun, you will be happy! :) I can't tell you exactly how to study because I am not you, but I always suggest starting with the 8-5 method. It seems to get people on the right track.

Excluding my freshman year (where all I did was have fun and NOT study), I had ~3.9 and 30 MCAT. While studying for the MCAT, I still was able to enjoy a spring break trip to the beach with some friends without studying.

Remember, it's worth studying in the morning, in between classes, and in the afternoon (when you want to take a nap :)) so that you can go play at night.
Hmm....It is very interesting to note that you have found the 'right balance' in your undergrad. I only thought that gunners were those that succeeded the most. Anyways, what is the 8-5 method. Please enlighten me a little bit!

SFO-IST

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
It may help to think about what life is like after college. If you party like the kids you are talking about and "live life", you will most likely end up working at some large faceless corporation which fulfills some random function like selling electric plugs. You will be an "account manager" who feigns interest in your product and is consumed with intra-office politics to someday get promoted to regional manager - one of 5 in the USA. You will compete with old, broken individuals who gave up on their hopes and dreams long ago.

This is the price of a career in medicine where you get to deal with an equal ammount of administrative BS and intra-"office" politics, but you get to say you save lives at the end of the day when you come home. Also, the stuff you are studying right now is a lot more interesting than electric plugs.

It's totally normal to not see this in undergrad. I would seriously recommend taking a year or two off to work in industry and see what it's like - especially if your GPA is not stellar.

OP
J

jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

I don't know how do you guys find the right balance, my life pretty much is go to school got to classes(I'm only taking 12 credits), find time in between to study on weekends just relax and watch tv. I commute (1 hour )and don't live on campus and I don't understand among all this trying to maintain a good GPA and find friends who you can hang out with.How do you guys do it. I just don't understand.

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hmm....It is very interesting to note that you have found the 'right balance' in your undergrad. I only thought that gunners were those that succeeded the most. Anyways, what is the 8-5 method. Please enlighten me a little bit!
It takes a few semesters of classes before you can really get into the groove of studying and learn how to do it effectively, but at some point you will realize that you don't need to spend every waking moment with a book in your face in order to maintain your 4.0. Once that happens, just make sure you get your work out of the way before you play and everything should work out fine. College are some of the best years of our lives, it would be a shame to miss them just because you don't know how to manage time properly.

Oh and the 8-5 thing means to study from 8-5 but then drop the books after that. I personally don't like that method, I'm more of a "study when I have some free time" kind of person.

As an example, I had a terrible undergrad GPA because I didn't care about my major and I didn't know I wanted to go into medicine at that point, so I was unmotivated. I partied and had a great time. When I went back to school to pursue medicine and take my pre-reqs, I wanted to kick butt in my classes so I studied ALL THE TIME the first semster. Like every waking moment. By the end of that semester I had pretty much burned out on studying, but I had also got much better at studying to the point where I needed to do about 10% of the studying I had done at the beginning. From then on I was able to manage my school work and social life and keep a 4.0. I really played around with different approaches that semester, seeing what study methods worked for me and then sticking to them. I think this is the key. Blindly reading every page of a textbook to study might work for some people but not for you, and I had to try different things (flash cards/reading/listening to recorded lectures/etc) to find the best approach for me.

Ursa

woof
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
The 8-5 method is what it sounds like. Treat school like a full time job. I started doing this sophomore year and it works brilliantly. Now that I am in the real world holding an actual 8-5 job, I look back and am glad I got myself used to being productive during the 8-5 hours.

It is tough to master, though. It means being ready (showered, dressed, ready to walk out of the house) by 7:45 or 8. Then spend your time from 8-5 either in class or studying. Realistically, most college students only spend about 3 hours in class a day - which is so cush, by the way. A job in the real world or med school will show you how easy you had it in undergrad, no matter how hard it seemed - so this should give you about 5 hours of studying each day. This seems like alot, especially if tests are far off. However, you will find that you no longer have to stay up late before tests or papers or anything like that.

Try it out. It's awesome. You have the evenings off (every night) and free weekends.

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't know how do you guys find the right balance, my life pretty much is go to school got to classes(I'm only taking 12 credits), find time in between to study on weekends just relax and watch tv. I commute (1 hour )and don't live on campus and I don't understand among all this trying to maintain a good GPA and find friends who you can hang out with.How do you guys do it. I just don't understand.
:idea:

This is probably the real issue. Its hard to socialize with people when they live so far away from you. You're also using 2 hours of your day on a commute which makes your 12 credits more like 16. You probably stay at home on weekends because you are sick of driving the rest of the week. If at all possible I would consider either moving closer to school or choosing a school closer to where you live. If neither of those are possibilities, I would try finding friends near where you live so you can hang out with them on weekends.

OP
J

jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
:idea:

This is probably the real issue. Its hard to socialize with people when they live so far away from you. You're also using 2 hours of your day on a commute which makes your 12 credits more like 16. You probably stay at home on weekends because you are sick of driving the rest of the week. If at all possible I would consider either moving closer to school or choosing a school closer to where you live. If neither of those are possibilities, I would try finding friends near where you live so you can hang out with them on weekends.
I totally agree with you, and yes I have tried to move to campus but my parents are totally against it. and I have tried finding friends around my area but the problem is that most people I know have a certain group of their own since childhood days and will only hang out with their group and I don't know anyone from college who lives near by, also some of my friends aren't free when I'm free. So schedule is another major factor. But my real question is when one find himself giving into being lazy, wondering if they will ever make it med school. Today I'm just doubting my decisions, I passionately love what I do but I can't find anyone sharing my same interest it makes me feel like I'm chasing the wind and will reach nowhere. When my friends 3 years from now will be having and actual job, life, family, living to the fullest I will be feeling miserable about my decisions, eneving them, etc..How do we overcome that feeling?

OP
J

jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
The 8-5 method is what it sounds like. Treat school like a full time job. I started doing this sophomore year and it works brilliantly. Now that I am in the real world holding an actual 8-5 job, I look back and am glad I got myself used to being productive during the 8-5 hours.

It is tough to master, though. It means being ready (showered, dressed, ready to walk out of the house) by 7:45 or 8. Then spend your time from 8-5 either in class or studying. Realistically, most college students only spend about 3 hours in class a day - which is so cush, by the way. A job in the real world or med school will show you how easy you had it in undergrad, no matter how hard it seemed - so this should give you about 5 hours of studying each day. This seems like alot, especially if tests are far off. However, you will find that you no longer have to stay up late before tests or papers or anything like that.

Try it out. It's awesome. You have the evenings off (every night) and free weekends.
This 8-5 method is really my life right now but the only difference being my classes are uptil 7:30 in the evening and I come back home by 8 so its 8-8 full time job, not time for life.I don't want to be complaining bcoz I chose my schedule and its the finals this week so I'm done with that but I just can't get my self to study thinking about things.:(

OP
J

jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
It takes a few semesters of classes before you can really get into the groove of studying and learn how to do it effectively, but at some point you will realize that you don't need to spend every waking moment with a book in your face in order to maintain your 4.0. Once that happens, just make sure you get your work out of the way before you play and everything should work out fine. College are some of the best years of our lives, it would be a shame to miss them just because you don't know how to manage time properly.

Oh and the 8-5 thing means to study from 8-5 but then drop the books after that. I personally don't like that method, I'm more of a "study when I have some free time" kind of person.

As an example, I had a terrible undergrad GPA because I didn't care about my major and I didn't know I wanted to go into medicine at that point, so I was unmotivated. I partied and had a great time. When I went back to school to pursue medicine and take my pre-reqs, I wanted to kick butt in my classes so I studied ALL THE TIME the first semster. Like every waking moment. By the end of that semester I had pretty much burned out on studying, but I had also got much better at studying to the point where I needed to do about 10% of the studying I had done at the beginning. From then on I was able to manage my school work and social life and keep a 4.0. I really played around with different approaches that semester, seeing what study methods worked for me and then sticking to them. I think this is the key. Blindly reading every page of a textbook to study might work for some people but not for you, and I had to try different things (flash cards/reading/listening to recorded lectures/etc) to find the best approach for me.
I'm really trying to get to that point where I don't have to spend every waking moment thinking about my studies, and learn faster than usual,And I know what works best for me by now. But I just didn't learn the time management skills I guess.

OP
J

jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
It may help to think about what life is like after college. If you party like the kids you are talking about and "live life", you will most likely end up working at some large faceless corporation which fulfills some random function like selling electric plugs. You will be an "account manager" who feigns interest in your product and is consumed with intra-office politics to someday get promoted to regional manager - one of 5 in the USA. You will compete with old, broken individuals who gave up on their hopes and dreams long ago.

This is the price of a career in medicine where you get to deal with an equal ammount of administrative BS and intra-"office" politics, but you get to say you save lives at the end of the day when you come home. Also, the stuff you are studying right now is a lot more interesting than electric plugs.

It's totally normal to not see this in undergrad. I would seriously recommend taking a year or two off to work in industry and see what it's like - especially if your GPA is not stellar.
Thanks, I guess I just needed someone to remind me what I doing all this for.

Avoidthetiger

roar
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I would move on to campus. Explain to your parents that living so far away from school is actually distracting from your education -- harder to get good grades[too much commute], harder to be involved with ECs, research, shadowing, volunteering [all important for med school applications], and harder to actual learn to communicate and socialize with your peers/people (which will be important for your LORs and your interviews].

It really sounds like you are at a disadvantage so far away. Commuting can work -- but it doesn't sound like it in your case. If you parents still don't support you, take out loans. It will be worth it.

Ursa

woof
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
This 8-5 method is really my life right now but the only difference being my classes are uptil 7:30 in the evening and I come back home by 8 so its 8-8 full time job, not time for life.I don't want to be complaining bcoz I chose my schedule and its the finals this week so I'm done with that but I just can't get my self to study thinking about things.:(
If you are only taking 12 credit hours, that means you are spending 2-3 hours in class per day, right? I understand it may be more with lab classes which count for only 1-2 hours but end up being more. For this, let's average it to 3 hours a day. If you are at the school from 8-8, that means you have 12 hours per day to go to 3 hours of class, 1 hour for lunch, and 8 hours for studying. This should be plenty of studying to allow you to not have to kill yourself at night and on the weekend.

Let me know if I am wrong about the amount of free time you have during the day (in between classes).

Last edited:

rusyrusyrusy

Removed
Aug 9, 2010
Status
We've all been there. I just stop studying when I feel that way and go out and do something I enjoy doing (for me, it's pool). The great thing about science courses is that you have a lot of control over when you study since you don't have assignments due all the time. I'm sure preclinicals are the same way.

Jude33

5+ Year Member
May 17, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I would move on to campus. Explain to your parents that living so far away from school is actually distracting from your education -- harder to get good grades[too much commute], harder to be involved with ECs, research, shadowing, volunteering [all important for med school applications], and harder to actual learn to communicate and socialize with your peers/people (which will be important for your LORs and your interviews].

It really sounds like you are at a disadvantage so far away. Commuting can work -- but it doesn't sound like it in your case. If you parents still don't support you, take out loans. It will be worth it.
I second this advice. Assuming your parents are interested in seeing you succeed, it shouldn't be too hard to make the case for living on campus. Yes, loans suck, but it's all part of the big picture. If you want to get accepted to med. school, you are going to need a well-rounded application to go along with gpa/MCAT, and from what you've said so far, commuting isn't working for you.

As far as how you should be studying, everyone is different. Depending on what classes you are taking, some semesters may be worse than others. Keep your head up and do what works for you.

May 21, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I was like you in the beginning OP, but you will get a hang of it. I still think I kinda am like you, but I have improved significantly. You must be a sophmore or junior since your in orgo, so don't worry there is still time. When I was taking orgo I and II, I was enrolled in 18 hr semesters, so I feel your pain (even though I didn't have the 1 hour commute). My BEST advice would be to, again, ENJOY your college years because they will be gone but medical school will always be there.
Just study hard, but make sure you leave time during the day to do things you enjoy. I study REALLY hard when I am at school, and the first year as a transfer student I pretty much had no social life. This was because I was determined to burry my face in the books to get a 4.0, and I did but looking back on it now I wouldn't say its completely worth it. My social life suffered and I barely went to the gym or played basketball, which are things I love doing and things that I would do each and every single day. This was when I was taking 17 & 18 hours.
This year though has been different. I still have been getting good grades and it looks like I will have a 4.0 again, but this semester I worked out a ton and lost almost 20. I went out more and I did nothing school related over thanksgiving break and went to a bar every single night with my friends. I was TOTALLY RECHARGED when school started again and I feel like I am going to ace finals. My point is, you just need some time to unwind. We are not robots. Don't let your ambitions of being a doctor be so blinding that you forget that you are still a college student, and not a robot. With time, you will improve your time management skills and study effectively and leave time for other things. Just hang in there and make a conscious effort to change. I promise it will get better.:)

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Why exactly are you missing out on anything in undergrad? I'm pretty sure I was at a party/bar at least four nights per week as an undergrad and still double-majored with good enough grades and MCAT score to get accepted to medical school. If you think your social life is taking a hit right now wait until you're actually in medical school. Whatever you gotta do, make some adjustments so that you aren't "missing out on everything" in college.

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Kind of like medical students grinding relentlessly while their peers party in their 20s, hook up, and go make money?

May 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey, we have all been there, at least I have. For starters, stop looking at others having fun... stop comparing them to yourself... understand that you are unique and comparing apples to oranges is stupid and useless. Also, if you think you are boring, everyone else will think you are boring. Focus on what makes you interesting and unique: work on your old hobbies, start new hobbies based on whatever interests you have (musical interest, sport, whatever) and ride them hard, that way you won't be wasting time looking at others have fun because you will be having fun yourself. Read newspapers, keep updated with current events - these really expose you to the world and just make you a well rounded person.
As for personality, it's something you think it is. Basically it's your self-image. If you imagine yourself having a fun interesting personality, you will have that personality and others will see that.
Also, have some stress relief activities: be it your hobbies, or watching your favorite TV show... You gotta start working on your self.
PM me if you have any questions ;)

Jan 17, 2010
Status
Hey, we have all been there, at least I have. For starters, stop looking at others having fun... stop comparing them to yourself... understand that you are unique and comparing apples to oranges is stupid and useless. Also, if you think you are boring, everyone else will think you are boring. Focus on what makes you interesting and unique: work on your old hobbies, start new hobbies based on whatever interests you have (musical interest, sport, whatever) and ride them hard, that way you won't be wasting time looking at others have fun because you will be having fun yourself. Read newspapers, keep updated with current events - these really expose you to the world and just make you a well rounded person.
As for personality, it's something you think it is. Basically it's your self-image. If you imagine yourself having a fun interesting personality, you will have that personality and others will see that.
Also, have some stress relief activities: be it your hobbies, or watching your favorite TV show... You gotta start working on your self.
Let me see if I follow your advice. It's
-Work on a hobby
-Read the newspaper
-Watch TV

I promise, no one is watching how much fun you're having.

May 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Let me see if I follow your advice. It's
-Work on a hobby
-Read the newspaper
-Watch TV

I promise, no one is watching how much fun you're having.
Sorry, bud, but you have misunderstood. This is not the end but a means to an end. And it's only a small part of those means.

OP
J

jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks Tatarin, but as you have mentioned thats pretty much all I do watch TV shows and read a lot, I am an introvert I usually don't like to engage with people in talking about anything that doesn't interest me(like relationship issues or just small talk),I'm really bad at those stuff. Since I lack social skill I feel like I'm a boring person. Also I don't go clubbing or drinking or do any of those stuff. This makes me wonder where I stand among most people why am I so emotionless.:(

OP
J

jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If you are only taking 12 credit hours, that means you are spending 2-3 hours in class per day, right? I understand it may be more with lab classes which count for only 1-2 hours but end up being more. For this, let's average it to 3 hours a day. If you are at the school from 8-8, that means you have 12 hours per day to go to 3 hours of class, 1 hour for lunch, and 8 hours for studying. This should be plenty of studying to allow you to not have to kill yourself at night and on the weekend.

Let me know if I am wrong about the amount of free time you have during the day (in between classes).
Nope I'm not taking any lab classes I'm taking microbio,genetics, orgo and english 2. Mondays and wed are only the 2 days where I have 4 hours(I hour of orgo review session held by the professor) of class, tuesday and thursday I have classes back to back (because I spend 1and half hour orgo workshop) I have invested a great amount of work into orgo and now I can't find the energy to reach the finish line, I'm giving up when I'm almost there. I'm glad I made this post it really opened my eyes to how some people make time and unwind and find the right balance. I guess this is just one of those semesters which have consumed most of my energy and time.

texahn

Yes
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2009
Status
Non-Student
my 2nd to last semester i stacked my classes so id have no class on fridays...

my last semester i had no classes monday or fridays.

thats how i made time to unwind

Sep 11, 2010
Eastern US
Status
Pre-Medical
You mentioned that your parents do not like the idea of you moving closer to campus. How much control do they have on your life? Maybe they have a large part in this? I understand that everyones values are different but you're in college right now and you're working towards short and long term goals. With that in mind it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks if you have to relocate if it's to better your life. Nobody is going to study for you and work as hard as you but yourself. I don't know your situation entirely but hopefully you can relocate either on campus or closer to campus. Make some friends who are also pre-med and have a good time. You've burnt yourself out with your current ways. Best of luck. It will all work out.

MB333999

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
i've never had that feeling of missing out on stuff cuz im too busy studying. i do everything that all my non-pre med friends do. i dont get HOW all some ppl do is study... i actually dont understand.

what you need to do is be more carefree, relax, let the good times roll.
theres plenty of time in a day to both study and have fun.
if u can manage to put aside 3 hours a day to study...that is way more than enough to get the grades u need.

gl hf

Nov 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
i understand how you feel. i definitely had to miss out on a lot of nights out in college because of an intense courseload/study schedule. what got me through it was that i didnt have to suffer alone! i had a lot of pre-professional friends in the same courses as me and we would all just make a big joke out of it. one of my best friends is actually at tufts dental right now (we went to undergrad together and had the same pre-req courses) - she and i literally got through the misery together and are still very close.

i also second what others said with "work hard, play hard" (or hardER ;)). you have to be able to balance both. it is essential to your well-being (and your sanity, really) to take breaks! even if you dont feel you can swing an entire night off, take a few hours and go see a movie or go out to dinner with friends. do SOMETHING unproductive :) you will feel refreshed and will probably study better.

Daychun

It'sa me! Day!
Sep 26, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.Facebook.com
Status
Pre-Medical
You should most definitely work on time management!

Besides studying I'm a competitive gamer and I do various other things.

I split my time in between practicing gaming and studying instead of waiting until the end. I do have a bad case of procrastination, but all in all if you can manage you time well enough you should be fine.

Don't let yourself get into this position!

OP
J

jokes of life

7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You mentioned that your parents do not like the idea of you moving closer to campus. How much control do they have on your life? Maybe they have a large part in this? I understand that everyones values are different but you're in college right now and you're working towards short and long term goals. With that in mind it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks if you have to relocate if it's to better your life. Nobody is going to study for you and work as hard as you but yourself. I don't know your situation entirely but hopefully you can relocate either on campus or closer to campus. Make some friends who are also pre-med and have a good time. You've burnt yourself out with your current ways. Best of luck. It will all work out.
After reading your post, I went and talked about relocating with my parents and they somehow agreed and asked me to take a loan. I'm happy about moving into campus but now I have to find out about taking loan.thanks.

Sep 11, 2010
Eastern US
Status
Pre-Medical
After reading your post, I went and talked about relocating with my parents and they somehow agreed and asked me to take a loan. I'm happy about moving into campus but now I have to find out about taking loan.thanks.
That is great news! :) College is not just a place to study but it's also a time for an individual to find ones self. Enjoy your time in college because they'll be some of your best. Kudos to your parents for understanding the importance of your decisions. Family will always be family no matter how close or distant we are.:)

DbDan

I like Bones
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2008
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
:thumbup: Just remember to avoid being a robot. You will get into medschool whether you have a 4.0 or a 3.8. Don't miss out on other experiences because you have decided medicine is your career of choice. I'm not advocating my route of drinking 6 nights a week living in a fraternity house but try grouping classes M-Th as someone else suggested that they did or just going out once or twice a week to take your mind off things. You don't have to be in books 24/7 to get the grades needed for med school. Study smarter, not longer.