Excelsior College Bachelors Of Science in Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PreMedHunter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys has anyone heard of Excelsiors Bachelors of science program in Biology? I'm interested in pursuing their degree, of course it will not be online because I plan on attending on campus, to get hand on experience in my labs. Now with that said, I have not ever heard of someone walking into Med School with a Excelsior degree, so I plan on taking a Post-bacc through a high profile University. What would be my chances of getting into a medical School, with of course pre-clinical experience. Please only helpful information, someone that has experience with excelsior, or that knows about Post-Bacc degrees and getting into Med School.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys has anyone heard of Excelsiors Bachelors of science program in Biology? I'm interested in pursuing their degree, of course it will not be online because I plan on attending on campus, to get hand on experience in my labs. Now with that said, I have not ever heard of someone walking into Med School with a Excelsior degree, so I plan on taking a Post-bacc through a high profile University. What would be my chances of getting into a medical School, with of course pre-clinical experience. Please only helpful information, someone that has experience with excelsior, or that knows about Post-Bacc degrees and getting into Med School.

You're not going to get high-quality science classes at Excelsior College. It's a vocation-oriented school.

Why not just attend SUNY Albany, or maybe attend HVCC and then transfer to a four-year university?

Reactions: 1 users
You're not going to get high-quality science classes at Excelsior College. It's a vocation-oriented school.

Why not just attend SUNY Albany, or maybe attend HVCC and then transfer to a four-year university?

You know I understand that, but I would like to fund my undergrad 100% myself, and plus in order to be a competitive candidate, would you need to have a Post-Bac anyways right? Their are individuals that Have English and Arts degrees and have a Post-Bac in Biolgy, and still get into a Med School. I understand its important to be competitive, so with my Degrees I will also have Pre-Clinical experience (Which i'm currently doing). But the whole reason i'm considering this is because Excelsior is really attractive, they have a Bachelors of Biology Degree, and I can have the freedom to fund it myself, aswell as not doing awful Pre-reqs for my bachelors. And I can get on the road to a Post-Bac sooner, rather than a traditional 4 years in Undergrad.

Does anyone know of a website where it shows information of where Doctors get their Undergrads and Post-Bac, like that one website where it shows which Med-Schools they went to.

Im not going for their nursing program...and plus what nursing program will be recognized if its online 100%?
It is an indication of the quality and reputation of the school.

Many nurses get RN as associates degrees and then earn BSN via online while working. Indeed, many nurses from 1980 or earlier earned a certificate from a hospital as an RN. This was a large driver for distance learning prior to internet age for these nurses to earn degrees

It is an indication of the quality and reputation of the school.

Many nurses get RN as associates degrees and then earn BSN via online while working. Indeed, many nurses from 1980 or earlier earned a certificate from a hospital as an RN. This was a large driver for distance learning prior to internet age for these nurses to earn degrees

Its an Indication of the quality of the school? Really. Like are you for real? If thats true then Stanford and Yale state are bad schools bad schools because not all of the graduates get to practice their careers. Im not really worried about the nursing program, i'm sure the individual that will review my app in the future will not research errors with the school or "reputation". If that happens than alot of small town undergrads will not get placements because their small-town colleges are not reputable enough.

So is my plan solid?
1. Get my Bachelors of science in Biology from Excelsior
2. Attend (My Plan) Drew University for My Post-Bacc
3. Take MCAT and start applications.

Has anyone done something similar to me? Like, do your Bachelors then do a Post-Bacc? Has that helped anyone in getting accepted?

Last edited:
Why don't you just go straight to a normal university with track record for sending people into medical school?

Reactions: 9 users
Its an Indication of the quality of the school? Really. Like are you for real? If thats true then Stanford and Yale state are bad schools bad schools because not all of the graduates get to practice their careers. Im not really worried about the nursing program, i'm sure the individual that will review my app in the future will not research errors with the school or "reputation". If that happens than alot of small town undergrads will not get placements because their small-town colleges are not reputable enough.

So is my plan solid?

Has anyone done something similar to me? Like, do your Bachelors then do a Post-Bacc? Has that helped anyone in getting accepted?

If your goal is to fund 100% of your education a postbacc is completely pointless to plan for now since you havent even stepped foot in undergrad yet. That would add more to your out of pocket cost when you could just go to a "regular" school for 4 years instead of 4 year BS at this school (I think 4 years at that school) + a preplanned postbacc of a year (at least/probably).

The goal isn’t to do a post-bac...
unless I missed something in your post, OP, but no, post-bacs are there for career changers and people that need grade repair. Your undergraduate goal shouldn’t be to do one.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is to fund 100% of your education a postbacc is completely pointless to plan for now since you havent even stepped foot in undergrad yet. That would add more to your out of pocket cost when you could just go to a "regular" school for 4 years instead of 4 year BS at this school (I think 4 years at that school) + a preplanned postbacc of a year (at least/probably).

Ive taken a lot of classes at my community college, and they are transferable to Excelsior, so my time in New York is going to be 6 month to a year, maybe less. The goal right now is to get my credits rolling into a degree program, I considered big name colleges, but to me its time consuming and incredibly expensive. The thing with these big name universities, is that they will take alot of my time doing pre-reqs for a degree program that I can get done at excelsior for lesser amount of time and i'll be saving money aswell. The reason why I want a post-bacc is because I want to be competitive, and I look forward to attending a high profile Med-School.

The goal isn’t to do a post-bac...
unless I missed something in your post, OP, but no, post-bacs are there for career changers and people that need grade repair. Your undergraduate goal shouldn’t be to do one.

Oh okay, so Post-bacs are for grade repair? The reason why I want to do a Post-Bac, is because I want to be safe, and remain fairly competitive because I don't know anyone that applied to Med School with B.S. in Bio from Excelsior. My fear was that people will "Look down" on my degree from excelsior, so in order to rebuttal that thought would be to have a reputable Post-bac. Of course I understand that its not really the reputation, but its what I learn and the quality of education.

Also I'm so confused on why someone needs to spend 4 years at an institution for their Bachelors? Am I doing something wrong? Ive been in college since I was 17, graduated Highschool at 16. I have accrued alot of credits in a year and halves time from my college and online courses. Apart of the problem is that alot of universities are not credit transfer friendly, if anyone knows a credit transfer friendly college or University please give me some names, I would love to have more options.

Oh okay, so Post-bacs are for grade repair? The reason why I want to do a Post-Bac, is because I want to be safe, and remain fairly competitive because I don't know anyone that applied to Med School with B.S. in Bio from Excelsior. My fear was that people will "Look down" on my degree from excelsior, so in order to rebuttal that thought would be to have a reputable Post-bac. Of course I understand that its not really the reputation, but its what I learn and the quality of education.

Certain people may look down on my undergrad education because it was Penn State. It does NOT matter as long as you do well and PROVE that you can handle a rigerous science curriculum. If Excelsior is known for watered down courses, I would say it isn’t in your best interest to persue that route. Attend a college with good reputation. It doesn’t have to be the Harvards of the world, a small liberal arts college is also fine.

Also I'm so confused on why someone needs to spend 4 years at an institution for their Bachelors? Am I doing something wrong? Ive been in college since I was 17, graduated Highschool at 16. I have accrued alot of credits in a year and halves time from my college and online courses. Apart of the problem is that alot of universities are not credit transfer friendly, if anyone knows a credit transfer friendly college or University please give me some names, I would love to have more options.

Four years is just the average. You started young and looks like you had credits coming in so it is reasonable you’d finish in less than four years.

Be aware of MANY schools’ policies regarding online course work if it is a pre-req.

Reactions: 1 user
Certain people may look down on my undergrad education because it was Penn State. It does NOT matter as long as you do well and PROVE that you can handle a rigerous science curriculum. If Excelsior is known for watered down courses, I would say it isn’t in your best interest to persue that route. Attend a college with good reputation. It doesn’t have to be the Harvards of the world, a small liberal arts college is also fine.

Four years is just the average. You started young and looks like you had credits coming in so it is reasonable you’d finish in less than four years.

Be aware of MANY schools’ policies regarding online course work if it is a pre-req.

Yes, most of my online classes were english, math, social studies, history etc. Of course excelsior shouldn't be my only option, but I cant find other schools that can take up to or over 80 credits. If someone knows of an institution that does, PLEASE message me, or let me know.

Why don't you just go straight to a normal university with track record for sending people into medical school?

I would love to, but alot of the universities have a transfer cap. I have alot of credits, do you have any names in mind that I can look into. I need a credit transfer friendly college. Doing some more research On GCU currently...Oh i'm so indecisive.. lol

Last edited:
Excelsior is famous for being a for profit school that rips people off for money.

I'm not going to cite any articles or sources, because that's the point. Like you yourself said, people don't bother researching the school or its reputation. This is what people know off the top of their heads about Excelsior without looking it up. Excelsior has a well-known online only program, and those well known online only programs have reputations for being shady. I think that's what an adcom would see right there - you went to a well-known online school, and online schools are subpar - therefore, your education is also likely subpar.

I just wouldn't do it.

I see you are trying to fast track everything. I don't blame you for wanting to save some time and money, but med school admissions is not the place to cut corners. As Goro says, it's a marathon, not a sprint - just take your time and do it right the first time. If a regular brick and mortar school doesn't accept all of your credit hours and you have to retake those classes, that sucks, but it's better than getting a degree from Excelsior/University of Phoenix/GCU and saving a little time/money but having their names on your transcript.

Reactions: 2 users
Excelsior is famous for being a for profit school that rips people off for money.

I'm not going to cite any articles or sources, because that's the point. Like you yourself said, people don't bother researching the school or its reputation. This is what people know off the top of their heads about Excelsior without looking it up. Excelsior has a well-known online only program, and those well known online only programs have reputations for being shady. I think that's what an adcom would see right there - you went to a well-known online school, and online schools are subpar - therefore, your education is also likely subpar.

I just wouldn't do it.

I see you are trying to fast track everything. I don't blame you for wanting to save some time and money, but med school admissions is not the place to cut corners. As Goro says, it's a marathon, not a sprint - just take your time and do it right the first time. If a regular brick and mortar school doesn't accept all of your credit hours and you have to retake those classes, that sucks, but it's better than getting a degree from Excelsior/University of Phoenix/GCU and saving a little time/money but having their names on your transcript.

So you don't think a Post-Bac can elevate? Excelsior like any other university has an on campus and online program. GCU is a pretty good university, not sure if you researched it. What makes you think GCU is bad? They have a assigned Pre-Med program. I'm getting alot of one sided info right now. Calivianya and others are only telling me the negatives. Well since you know alot about good and reputable universities, throw me a few names, somewhere my credits can travel safely without having fear of loosing 30-40 credits. Its just like whatever i'm saying or doing is bad, no one is giving me useful advice. Well if you can't relate to my situation or give me a solution or a different strategy then don't bother posting. I thought this forum was created to help students and undergrads. Well its interesting everyone has a one dimensional answer, go spend 2 years in college 4 years getting an undergrad then go to Med School. Well in the end of the day, i'm pretty damn ahead of most of the people here, so I guess I will become a guinea pig in the name of all Pre-med students and say fu*k it, i'm going to finish my Bachelors at Excelsior and Get into a Ivy League post-bac program. If there's a will, there's a way. I'll come back and share my experiences, but until then, Ciao.

Look, there are no shortcuts. Go to an in state public school if you are concerned about money but you will likely have to take out loans just like a lot of people already do. You need to get good grades. Go to a school people at least recognize as being a reputable institution (any of the CUNY or SUNY system for example), take the pre-reas, get a good mcat score, tick all the boxes (research, clinical experience, volunteering) — all of that WILL take time to be done in a way that will make you a competitive applicant. Stop trying to cut corners because all you will end up doing is make it harder and harder for you to eventually land a med school seat.

DEFINITELY don’t ruin your life through some half-baked designed-to-fail plan just to prove a point to strangers on the internet.

Reactions: 7 users
So you don't think a Post-Bac can elevate? Excelsior like any other university has an on campus and online program. GCU is a pretty good university, not sure if you researched it. What makes you think GCU is bad? They have a assigned Pre-Med program. I'm getting alot of one sided info right now. Calivianya and others are only telling me the negatives. Well since you know alot about good and reputable universities, throw me a few names, somewhere my credits can travel safely without having fear of loosing 30-40 credits. Its just like whatever i'm saying or doing is bad, no one is giving me useful advice. Well if you can't relate to my situation or give me a solution or a different strategy then don't bother posting. I thought this forum was created to help students and undergrads. Well its interesting everyone has a one dimensional answer, go spend 2 years in college 4 years getting an undergrad then go to Med School. Well in the end of the day, i'm pretty damn ahead of most of the people here, so I guess I will become a guinea pig in the name of all Pre-med students and say fu*k it, i'm going to finish my Bachelors at Excelsior and Get into a Ivy League post-bac program. If there's a will, there's a way. I'll come back and share my experiences, but until then, Ciao.
GCU is an online school. It needs no more research than that.

You go to your Ivy League post bacc if you want to - it will probably cost more than just going to a four year school once, and will take you an extra year. If you supposedly want to save money, you can always get one degree instead of cheaping out with Excelsior and then doing an expensive post bacc, but you don't seem to actually want to save money and/or time, which is fine if that's what you want. You would be a physician sooner going to a local state school than intentionally going to Excelsior and doing a post bacc afterwards.

You're getting lots of useful advice - you just don't like what we're saying.

I have 278 credit hours from multiple degrees before getting here, so I have absolutely zero sympathy for your 30-40 "wasted" credit hours. That's a year of full time school; it's nothing. Sometimes people end up wasting time and money in school; it happens. If you're that concerned about those 30-40 credit hours, finish up an associate's degree from your community college so they count for something before going to a four year school.

Reactions: 6 users
GCU is an online school. It needs no more research than that.

You go to your Ivy League post bacc if you want to - it will probably cost more than just going to a four year school once, and will take you an extra year. If you supposedly want to save money, you can always get one degree instead of cheaping out with Excelsior and then doing an expensive post bacc, but you don't seem to actually want to save money and/or time, which is fine if that's what you want. You would be a physician sooner going to a local state school than intentionally going to Excelsior and doing a post bacc afterwards.

You're getting lots of useful advice - you just don't like what we're saying.

I have 278 credit hours from multiple degrees before getting here, so I have absolutely zero sympathy for your 30-40 "wasted" credit hours. That's a year of full time school; it's nothing. Sometimes people end up wasting time and money in school; it happens. If you're that concerned about those 30-40 credit hours, finish up an associate's degree from your community college so they count for something before going to a four year school.

Wow I guess its true what they say, ignorance is bliss. Im not cutting corners, and most certainly not asking for your empathy. You are clearly uneducated on what excelsior is, and how it works. GCU is NOT an online university, where did you even get that? Sure they have online programs but they are far from being an "online" institution. Why the hell would I spend 4 years? Sounds dumb, and for 130 credits? 4 years!?!? You must have gotten into Yale or Harvard with all those credentials.

A Post-Bacc is not that expensive, cheaper than 4 year thats for sure. So you're saying I use my credits towards an associate degree, then go back to school and get my bachelors at a 4 year? Are you mad? You know I don't have time or money to spend on school hoping. What do you have to say to people that did "short cuts" and got into med school sooner than you? I know their are people out their that have done that, now when you say you have multiple degrees, and over 278 credit hours, why did you do so much? Like I doubt any Medical schools would require such flabbergasted credentials? Like what Med School do you go to? Im not losing my credits, thats not going to happen, no way Jose, worked way to hard, missed Prom for my Midterm. So I guess no one will tell me of any schools that are credit friendly, but its okay. I'm not dead, my hands and feet are working and i've been blessed with a computer, I will continue to look, but no doubt about it that I will find somewhere to get my credits transferred. I've got nothing to lose, I have heard of people doing English and arts degrees, getting a Post-Bac and end up in Medical school, but I'm doing a Bachelors of science in Biology, so that should be even a bigger plus. I just wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences or if they knew of a credit friendly school, but nope no one answered me on that.

Wow I guess its true what they say, ignorance is bliss. Im not cutting corners, and most certainly not asking for your empathy. You are clearly uneducated on what excelsior is, and how it works. GCU is NOT an online university, where did you even get that? Sure they have online programs but they are far from being an "online" institution. Why the hell would I spend 4 years? Sounds dumb, and for 130 credits? 4 years!?!? You must have gotten into Yale or Harvard with all those credentials.

A Post-Bacc is not that expensive, cheaper than 4 year thats for sure. So you're saying I use my credits towards an associate degree, then go back to school and get my bachelors at a 4 year? Are you mad? You know I don't have time or money to spend on school hoping. What do you have to say to people that did "short cuts" and got into med school sooner than you? I know their are people out their that have done that, now when you say you have multiple degrees, and over 278 credit hours, why did you do so much? Like I doubt any Medical schools would require such flabbergasted credentials? Like what Med School do you go to? Im not losing my credits, thats not going to happen, no way Jose, worked way to hard, missed Prom for my Midterm. So I guess no one will tell me of any schools that are credit friendly, but its okay. I'm not dead, my hands and feet are working and i've been blessed with a computer, I will continue to look, but no doubt about it that I will find somewhere to get my credits transferred. I've got nothing to lose, I have heard of people doing English and arts degrees, getting a Post-Bac and end up in Medical school, but I'm doing a Bachelors of science in Biology, so that should be even a bigger plus. I just wanted to see if anyone had similar experiences or if they knew of a credit friendly school, but nope no one answered me on that.
I will answer the credit hour part; the rest reads like you aren't really interested in anyone else's opinion, just in arguing.

45 of my credit hours were spent as a pre-med. I was in other fields for the rest of those hours - one of which I couldn't find a job in after graduation, the second of which I worked in for ~3.5 years before deciding I hated it and wanted to be a physician. From some people's perspective, >200 of my credit hours did not help me get into med school, and thus were wasted time. If you lose 30-40, that's nothing - it's one year. I only mentioned the getting an associate's part because you seem so concerned about those 30-40 hours.

Look, there are no shortcuts. Go to an in state public school if you are concerned about money but you will likely have to take out loans just like a lot of people already do. You need to get good grades. Go to a school people at least recognize as being a reputable institution (any of the CUNY or SUNY system for example), take the pre-reas, get a good mcat score, tick all the boxes (research, clinical experience, volunteering) — all of that WILL take time to be done in a way that will make you a competitive applicant. Stop trying to cut corners because all you will end up doing is make it harder and harder for you to eventually land a med school seat.

DEFINITELY don’t ruin your life through some half-baked designed-to-fail plan just to prove a point to strangers on the internet.

I have clinical experience, Ive volunteered at a hospice and shadowed a physician. As well as an incredible amount of community service work. I am already in a MCAT tutoring program, also i'm not cutting corners, i'm using out what I have. Why would I settle for less in something I worked so hard in. All I want is to find a good school that can transfer my credits and apply it towards their degree program. Im not going to loose a whole years worth of credits and loose time doing the same classes again. I guess no one understands the difficulty unless you are in that persons shoes. Also why no one is going forward and telling me why my plan is such a fail? I took classes at a community college, and all I want is for my credits to be applicable towards a degree program, if y'all know so much about universities, then give me a few names that are credit friendly. You guys are acting like you guys did my plan, and failed and warning everyone not to do it based on your experience. How can we fail without trying?

You need to take a deep breathe and look at yourself and at all the advice people are giving you. To counter your points:
  1. Medical schools LOVE english or arts majors, because they are unique and add a new perspective to the medical school class. If they didn't complete all the pre-reqs in time, then yes they'll need a post bacc. But the reason they are taking a post-bacc is to get those classes. Pretty good reason! Another good reason to get a post-bacc is if you need grade repair. Unfortunately, you cannot use a post-bacc for the "name" of the university. It won't give you an prestige. Additionally, most post-bacc programs have requirements for entrance - such as showing that you need the classes or need grade repair. They won't take someone who doesn't need it.
  2. Post-bacc programs are in fact incredibly expensive, with almost 0 financial aid resources from the school.
  3. You usually need to do 2 years at any reputable institution to earn their degree. So if you have 2 years of CC credits, then you should be able to transfer up to 64 of them. "Wasting" the extra 16 credits is better than earning a useless degree.

Reactions: 5 users
I will answer the credit hour part; the rest reads like you aren't really interested in anyone else's opinion, just in arguing.

45 of my credit hours were spent as a pre-med. I was in other fields for the rest of those hours - one of which I couldn't find a job in after graduation, the second of which I worked in for ~3.5 years before deciding I hated it and wanted to be a physician. From some people's perspective, >200 of my credit hours did not help me get into med school, and thus were wasted time. If you lose 30-40, that's nothing - it's one year. I only mentioned the getting an associate's part because you seem so concerned about those 30-40 hours.

So sounds like you did a Post-bac. You did credits non pertaining to a Pre-Med Program, so in order to get a pre med qualification you did a post-bac? I'm not arguing at all, I want answers outside of the box, its the same answers over and over again. You guys are saying that I will fail, without even me trying.

You need to take a deep breathe and look at yourself and at all the advice people are giving you. To counter your points:
  1. Medical schools LOVE english or arts majors, because they are unique and add a new perspective to the medical school class. If they didn't complete all the pre-reqs in time, then yes they'll need a post bacc. But the reason they are taking a post-bacc is to get those classes. Pretty good reason! Another good reason to get a post-bacc is if you need grade repair. Unfortunately, you cannot use a post-bacc for the "name" of the university. It won't give you an prestige. Additionally, most post-bacc programs have requirements for entrance - such as showing that you need the classes or need grade repair. They won't take someone who doesn't need it.
  2. Post-bacc programs are in fact incredibly expensive, with almost 0 financial aid resources from the school.
  3. You usually need to do 2 years at any reputable institution to earn their degree. So if you have 2 years of CC credits, then you should be able to transfer up to 64 of them. "Wasting" the extra 16 credits is better than earning a useless degree.

I contacted a few post-bac places, they said all you need to have is a Bachelors, also they have a GPA requirement, so I dont think underperforming students will have a high chance of getting in. Im pretty sure if I got a Post-Bacc from Rutgers or one of those tope grade schools, it would carry prestige. Im not getting any advice, all what people are telling me to do is to drop my credits and restart, and by the way its not "16" credits its way more than than that, i'm asking for help to look for university that can get my credits transferred. Everyone is saying to do 4 years. Im not going to do that, that BS i'll be wasting my time. Alot of the answers here are very one dimensional. And its not a minimum of two years in a post-bac, where you getting this info? Its a year, or even less since most Post-Bacs are 40-45 credits.

Im not arguing, but at the same time i'm not going to let someone give me a 1 dimensional answer and expect me to drop everything and follow what they say. Im trying to find a middle ground, a savvy answer to my problem, but no one has a solution.

I contacted a few post-bac places, they said all you need to have is a Bachelors, also they have a GPA requirement, so I dont think underperforming students will have a high chance of getting in. Im pretty sure if I got a Post-Bacc from Rutgers or one of those tope grade schools, it would carry prestige. Im not getting any advice, all what people are telling me to do is to drop my credits and restart, and by the way its not "16" credits its way more than than that, i'm asking for help to look for university that can get my credits transferred. Everyone is saying to do 4 years. Im not going to do that, that BS i'll be wasting my time. Alot of the answers here are very one dimensional. And its not a minimum of two years in a post-bac, where you getting this info? Its a year, or even less since most Post-Bacs are 40-45 credits.

Don’t you think if every single person is telling you the same thing they might be right?

Post-bacc’s are for people who had a less than desirable GPA in undergrad. So it doesn’t matter where you go for it, there’s no prestige with it because everyone is expected to get A’s with it.

There are GPA requirements
for them, but people are usually right at the requirement or a little above that do them. You shouldn’t be planning on finishing your bachelors with a 3.0, if you got a 3.8 why would the post Bach programs want to accept you? You wouldn’t need grade repair.

Where did you do your previous schooling at?
Lots of people do community college for 2 years and then transfer to a University for the remaining two. If you did your schooling at a reputable cmmunity college you shouldn’t have to worry about losing all your credits. The reality is not everything will transfer and that’s just the nature of the beast.

I said it's a minimum of 2 years to earn a degree. You know, from an institution? You can't go to a 4 year university for 1 year and expect to get a degree with their name on it. It doesn't happen.

And no. You're waiting for someone to tell you what you want to hear. There are PLENTY of 4 year institutions that will take 2 years of credit from you and have you go to 2 more years of university. But you aren't going to be able to transfer more than that. Because once you do that, you haven't met the "residency" requirement of being at the university for enough time to actually attend it.

I would agree with some of the posts above suggesting that you just attend a known university and plan on applying to medical school directly following your B.S. I was a non-traditional student who had no choice but to take a post-bac so I can comment on some of the downsides. Firstly, if I understand you correctly, you want to attend a technical school that happens to offer a Biology B.S. (albeit not very credible) and following, complete a post-bac just to show that you can handle "university level" courses - please correct me if I misunderstood. Anyway, the problem with this is as such:

1. While you are going to be funding the B.S. entirely on your own (without any loans, which is your primary reasoning for attending Excelsior), you will end up spending a lot in order to take the post-bac courses at a university. Depending on how many courses you take throughout the post-bac, you will likely need to take loans anyway. In addition, please know this - at many schools you do not qualify for grants when you already have a B.S., but instead, only qualify for government loans. Therefore, you may end up having to borrow much more for those post-bac classes than if you just attended that university from the get-go. Lastly, don't assume a post-bac will be cheap; my post-bac loans amounted to more than my entire undergraduate education.

2. Just from the fact that you are saying you would like to fund your B.S. without any loans, I am going to assume you are not coming from a family/background where your medical education will be funded for you. Therefore, you will likely be taking several hundred-thousand in loans for medical school anyway. Why not just have that increased a bit for the cost of a more qualified university? This would also remove the requirement for a post-bac and cut off the 1-2 additional years needed for that route.

Overall, it would make more sense to just attend a more qualified university!

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Last edited:
So sounds like you did a Post-bac. You did credits non pertaining to a Pre-Med Program, so in order to get a pre med qualification you did a post-bac? I'm not arguing at all, I want answers outside of the box, its the same answers over and over again. You guys are saying that I will fail, without even me trying.
I actually picked up a third bachelor's, because the difference in credit hours between doing that and just taking the premed courses was about one semester and I saw that as a negligible time investment. I did not go through a formal program because those are so expensive - just took classes at my state school and tailored my bio degree to the pre med courses plus whatever else I found interesting, like neurophysiology and hormone regulation courses at the graduate level.

I know you're saying the formal post bacc programs are not expensive, but I just looked up the cost of the one close to me and it is horrendous, ~$500 per credit hour. The state school I went to is under $200 a credit hour; I can't imagine paying more than 2.5 times tuition just for a formal program, but that's just me.

The problem people here are having is with Excelsior, not with you doing a post bacc. I don't think you'll fail if you go somewhere else, and I even think you could skip the post bacc altogether. Any school that is mostly famous for its online program is a bad idea - the general consensus is those schools are less rigorous, and you don't want any adcom to have a reason to give your application the side eye. There are so many applicants that the competition is really fierce for spots anywhere - and if on average, the other applicants go to reputable schools, that's going to put you at a disadvantage if your degree is from Excelsior.

OP, your credit transfer question wasn’t answered (at least by me) because I don’t know the answer.

Anyway, I can only speak to state laws in Pennsylvania, but in order to be conferred a degree in the state of PA, you need at least 80 completed credits at that accredited school to earn your degree. So, transferring in a boat load of credits would do you nothing because you’d still have to take the required amount anyway. If other states do it differently, then by all means correct me. This is my personal anecdote.

And places like GCU, UoP, Excelsior, etc are what they call FOR-PROFIT schools. Look up the issue with them, which is why people are steering you away from them.

Additionally, as I already told you, you ARE NOT REQUIRED to do four years at a University. NOT NOT NOT. If you finish early, cool, you finished early. My husband did a four year degree in three years. I crammed 160 credits into a four year degree.

Another thing, you best make sure your CC courses count toward the degree requirements to whatever school you transfer to. My UG had a little tool that said what courses would be accepted for equivalent courses and what ones wouldn’t. Some counted for general credit and you’d still have to take the course over again because they didn’t count it. Consider that as well.

Here is your plan:
1. Go to an University for less than a year (doesn’t sound shady at all), how can you even get 1 yr bio+lab, chem+lab, orgo+lab, and physics+lab done in a year anyways (some med schools don’t take CC credit for those)
2. Go to post-bac (which is meant for GPA repair and extremely expensive)
3. Apply to med school with less than a year in an actual university (plus credit that may not be recognized) and thousands of dollars in debt

Here is what we suggest:
1. Transfer to a normal university (state school bc cheaper, transfer as many credits as you can and spend 2-3 years there)
2. More time to build up EC, have reputable university name, class credits actually count, less or equal in debt from doing post-bac

I don’t see where your confusion is in choosing between the two. ESPECIALLY when you said you want to go to a high profile med school, you don’t think option 1 sounds shady to them??! well as someone who has been accepted to a “high profile med school,” I’m telling you to do option 2.

If you still can’t pick between the two, I don’t think med school is right for you.

Guys it’s obvious that OP is a hard headed teenager who thinks they know everything when they, in fact, know even less than Jon Snow.

But more seriously, all of the above reasons about why to not go to this garbage university are valid. However, there is one point that has not been adequately addressed - the actual quality of your education. If you go to some garbage university you will hurt yourself at the adcom AND personal level. And trust me, you want the best education you can get or else upper level premed courses at a reputable university (and don’t forget actual medical school) will be that much harder.

If you want me get a lot of your credits and save money, go to a reputable state school system (UC, SUNY, etc.). Or if you’re as gifted as you obviously think you are you’ll likely get a good scholarship at any small liberal arts college.

To reiterate, don’t be stupid, take ALL of the above advice or you can say hello to the Caribbean for medical school in a few years. Ciao.

PS: Using your “traumatic” experience of missing experiences for your education is NOT a valid point. We literally all have.

So is my plan solid?

No, it's gaseous.

Here's a solid plan:
1. Get your Bachelor's degree in whatever field you want at SUNY Albany -- and also fulfill med school requirements (Bio 1&2, Gen Chem 1&2, Orgo 1&2, Phys 1&2, Biochem, Calc I, Statistics)
2. Accumulate volunteering, shadowing, and research experience
3. Study for and take the MCAT; apply

SUNY Albany has roughly the same location and tuition as Excelsior. Also, SUNY Albany will almost certainly take community college credits. Your "self-funding" excuse doesn't make any sense. Don't go to Excelsior.

OP, your credit transfer question wasn’t answered (at least by me) because I don’t know the answer.

Anyway, I can only speak to state laws in Pennsylvania, but in order to be conferred a degree in the state of PA, you need at least 80 completed credits at that accredited school to earn your degree. So, transferring in a boat load of credits would do you nothing because you’d still have to take the required amount anyway. If other states do it differently, then by all means correct me. This is my personal anecdote.

And places like GCU, UoP, Excelsior, etc are what they call FOR-PROFIT schools. Look up the issue with them, which is why people are steering you away from them.

Additionally, as I already told you, you ARE NOT REQUIRED to do four years at a University. NOT NOT NOT. If you finish early, cool, you finished early. My husband did a four year degree in three years. I crammed 160 credits into a four year degree.

Another thing, you best make sure your CC courses count toward the degree requirements to whatever school you transfer to. My UG had a little tool that said what courses would be accepted for equivalent courses and what ones wouldn’t. Some counted for general credit and you’d still have to take the course over again because they didn’t count it. Consider that as well.

In NH, you only need to complete at least 45 credits at an institution to earn a degree from there (meaning you can transfer 75). I transferred 80, did 45 more and graduated with 125 credits. Now I actually had many more from other schools and all said and done have closer to 200 probably.

The only people I know who were successful in med school or graduate school applications after going to places that are mostly known for their online programs were fellow servicemembers. I’m assuming because military service is a good reason to get your degree from places like that. It sure hasn’t seemed to hold me back, but I’m not a teenager with the opportunity to go to a known brick and mortar school. Go to SUNY.

In NH, you only need to complete at least 45 credits at an institution to earn a degree from there (meaning you can transfer 75). I transferred 80, did 45 more and graduated with 125 credits. Now I actually had many more from other schools and all said and done have closer to 200 probably.

See? Learned something new.

Like, I have had 30+ year career in and around premedical advising and medical admissions in New York, so yeah, like I am for real. Now if you would like to get remove whatever chip you have on your young, uneducated shoulder and listen up, maybe you might get some good advice to follow

Now why on earth on your looking at 2 particularly lowly rated colleges, Logan in MO and Excelsior in NY that have almost nothing in common other than being pretty piss-poor for premedical studies? I am not from Missouri, but you gotta show me

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Your plan is simply not well thought out; it will not work.

You are competing with thousands of applicants, most of whom went to four year universities—some of whom even took extra gap years to buff up their experiences. How do you expect to be competitive in that playing field?

There is simply no need to rush, and in fact you are hurting yourself by doing so. If you continue with your plan, you simply will not have the requisite experiences and maturity to compete with the others in the echelon of medical school admissions.

Take these people's advice; it is not "one-dimensional." In fact, they're adding a second dimension to your rather one-dimenionsal mode of thought.

We are trying to help you, and I would advise you to defer 100% to their posts, especially to our most experienced and senior members.

Do not rush my friend. You will only hurt yourself in the end.

Why do you have 2 threads asking about 2 different obscure schools from which you want to obtain your B.S... Just go to a normal university.

Logan University ???

I see someone who is here looking for advice, but only the advice s/he wants to hear. You're not going to get that here. You will hear what you NEED to hear.

Stop copping an attitude because you're into TOS violation land.

Invest in MSAR Online and see how many med schools do NOT accept online credits.

Does anyone know of a website where it shows information of where Doctors get their Undergrads and Post-Bac, like that one website where it shows which Med-Schools they went to.

Some schools have a "class profile" on line that will tell you which undergrad programs have sent students to their school. Here's one:
Class Profile | School of Medicine

Good lord, I left this thread yesterday and OP went off the rails.

As I see it, there are a handful of realities here:

1 - You will probably have to get student loans to finance your education. This doesn’t mean you aren’t paying for it yourself, it’s just a different way of paying. You are being irrationally (immaturely) afraid of debt. While I understand this, I fear that you don’t understand that debt does not cripple you if you are well employed. It is another expense, like an electric bill.

2 - You need to learn to listen. This is probably the biggest obstacle that will stand in your way for the rest of your life. Even when you’re wrong, angry, passionate, whatever emotion. You need to be able to open your mind and close your mouth, especially when people are trying to help you. It is not our first day here.

3 - You need to better inform yourself of this process. I read this thread through twice before posting and I still am not sure what you think a post-bacc program would do for you. Those are for career changers and grade repairers. You don’t need that and it is foolish to plan for one. You are much better off planning one degree from a reputable institution that will get you where you need to go.

4 - You need to get ready to let go of your high school AP credits. They are going to be worth probably nothing. Start getting over it now, I anticipate that the coping process will be a long one. They cannot replace your prerequisites and most places will not accept them if they are prerequisites for your major. You made the wrong choice regarding prom, but that ship has sailed. It’s okay though, she will probably be married to a balding real estate agent by the time you’re having your long white coat embroidered.

5 - Please see a career advisor and financial aid office at your local state university. They often see prospective students and can be a big help.

I am sure there are more, but this should be a good start. I encourage you to not give up on your aspirations, instead refocus your efforts on making a plan that satisfies the requirements of medical admissions and gets you the actual most for your money.

Reactions: 3 users
I see someone who is here looking for advice, but only the advice s/he wants to hear. You're not going to get that here. You will hear what you NEED to hear.

Stop copping an attitude because you're into TOS violation land.

Invest in MSAR Online and see how many med schools do NOT accept online credits.

I'm not giving an attitude, and stop saying online. I'm not doing any classes online.

Ok fine. What do you guys think of Thomas Edison university? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.