Excessive speeding misdemeanor and amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway123890

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I submitted my primary for verification a week ago, so its still in the works. I was speeding in vermont during a road trip and got a criminal citstion to go to court for excessive speeding. Ive tried to explain my case to the state attorney on how i regret my actions, understand why they were unacceptable, have already taken strides to make sure they never happen again (10 safe driving course), and how a misdemeanor now could be devastating to my application and overall future and may be overly punishing on me. The state attorney doesnt want to drop the case and I'll be going to my arraignment on Monday. Almost for sure i will get the excessive speeding misdemeanor on my record and i will have to notify all the schools im applying to before i get verified and they even recieved my application (because according to the amcas handbook i have to update within 10 days of plea or conviction). My question is really how much does this endanger my application? Excessive speeding isnt even a misdemeanor in some states. Should i be seriously worried about my chances at getting in to medical school now?

Members don't see this ad.

1) Speculating across 150+ programs and thousands of individual adcoms will get you nothing but fear, worry, and doubt, but it certainly doesnt help.
2) Whether or not it is a misdemeanor is some states is irrelevant; it happened to you in the state you were in and that is all that matters
3) you should be seriously worried about writing a VERY SHORT explanation to all the schools. It should be NO MORE THAN 2 or 3 SENTENCES. More than that and you will just get yourself in trouble.

"I want to inform the committee that I have received a citation and have plead guilty for excessive speeding for in the state of XXX. Since in this state a speeding violation is considered a misdemeanor, I am reporting this as per AMCAS rules. I take full responsibility for my foolish actions here and have paid a fine as well as taken a traffic safety course. I apologize for my actions and thank you for your attention and consideration in this matter."

Personally, I advise you plead, pay the fine and move on.

Thank you for the advice!

Hi,

I submitted my primary for verification a week ago, so its still in the works. I was speeding in vermont during a road trip and got a criminal citstion to go to court for excessive speeding. Ive tried to explain my case to the state attorney on how i regret my actions, understand why they were unacceptable, have already taken strides to make sure they never happen again (10 safe driving course), and how a misdemeanor now could be devastating to my application and overall future and may be overly punishing on me. The state attorney doesnt want to drop the case and I'll be going to my arraignment on Monday. Almost for sure i will get the excessive speeding misdemeanor on my record and i will have to notify all the schools im applying to before i get verified and they even recieved my application (because according to the amcas handbook i have to update within 10 days of plea or conviction). My question is really how much does this endanger my application? Excessive speeding isnt even a misdemeanor in some states. Should i be seriously worried about my chances at getting in to medical school now?
This happened to my daughter in another state. We retained the services of an attorney and he was able to get the charges dropped to a minor speeding ticket of 9 miles over the speed limit. Get an attorney, it will make it easier on now and later when applying for residencies.