This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

memesx2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a premed (sophomore) set on being a doctor (not a psychologist). When thinking about specialties, my primary interests would be either IM or psych. In terms of research, I currently do lab work in a basic science/translational psych research lab, and am leaning towards ultimately going into psych because that's where my research interests lie (even though I really love the idea of IM and am considering it). I also am considering taking on a part time job working with autistic children, in addition to clinic volunteering.

My impression is a lot of premed applicants have a specialty in mind and express that in their apps, maybe even as a driving force for going into medicine. I was wondering if it's okay to express a strong interest in psychiatry, or should I tone it down? I'm scared the interest in psychiatry will give the impression to adcoms that I'm not seriously interested in the heart and center of medicine, given that psychiatry is seen as the least medical of the medical fields. Should I downplay my interest in psych in favor of emphasizing my interest in a more medical field like IM?

What I'm also scared of is giving the impression I have some particular personal reason to go into psych. I had to take a substantial gap from college (mostly occupied reasonably productively) for depression (resolved), and this is one of the reasons I am interested in psych even though I was interested in it before this all happened. I intend to explain this gap as "medical issues" and leave it as that. I'm scared expressing a strong interest in psych will make it a dead cinch for adcoms to see that this was a psych problem. But then again, won't they already assume unspecified "medical issues" = psych problem?

Any thoughts? Just thinking of how to plan my future application.

Members don't see this ad.

OP, I was pretty much in your situation. I was advised to tune my passion for psych down a little bit by my advisor. Because you might not match into psychiatry, and you want the adcom to think that you won't quit medicine if you don't get to do psych. I would suggest that after you express your passion in psych, tug in a sentence or two saying that you are also interested/flexible to other specialties.

Also consider the question, "why not do clinical psych?". I understand that there are many differences between psychiatry and clinical psych, but I got asked that question all the time as someone who wants to become a psychiatrist.

Reactions: 3 users
Just in case, from my perspective as a psychiatry resident. I would say it's okay in having a psychiatry focus prior to admission, most of us do anyways -- gen surg to family med. Half of us change during 2nd or third year, sometimes even fourth year. The admission folks understand, they were in our shoes once before too. I went in wanting to do family med, changed to PM&R then to Psychiatry. FroYoOreo has a good point though. You should express interest but also convey flexibility, this shows maturation and a sense of humility too. Psychiatry used to be "lacking in medicine" prior to the discovery of chloropromazine lol but these days it's seen as a specialty. We're more medication based with a touch of therapy -- at least most of us so don't worry about that. Sorry for the lateness though, just getting back into sdn, plus you're a junior now which means its still before med interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know plenty of people who changed their minds halfway through medical school. There is a reason why you have rotations; you need to get hands on experience of each field before deciding for certain it's something you want to go through your entire life.

Hey I am totally in your boat in terms of psych. I have significant family reasons for my interest in psych that I tied into my PS and I've been involved in psych related ec's through clinical research and volunteering. I talked extensively about my passion for psych during my interviews and I think it was very well received.

Be prepared to be asked about what interests you in medicine outside of psych and have a solid answer prepared (easy for me because psych, fam med and em tie nicely together.) I would always qualify my interest in psych with a, " i know a ton of students change their mind, and here's x y and z that also interests me in medicine". Another thing to consider is that mental health and illness plays a huge role in all fields of medicine and you can emphasize that no matter what field you end up training, you will always be cognizant of the challenges of those who suffer from mental illnesses face in receiving healthcare and navigating the healthcare system.

Clinical psychology and psychiatry are vastly different fields and it should be very easy to answer why not clin psych.

I would avoid mentioning any personal mental health issues. I had a one quarter gap in my education which was NOT due to my own health but due to the health of a member of my family. If you do get pressed on the gap, I would encourage you to talk about the symptoms (lack of focus in school, motivation etc) rather than talking about any sort of depression diagnosis.