File review's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the advice Shanomong, but I already scheduled a phone interview with Mr. Keiter for 10 AM on May 11th(today!). However, this will be my first time actually talking to someone in the admissions department so I am going to try and make a very good impression. I'll let you all know how it goes.

:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if Illinois isn't as strict with IS applicants during Phase I. During my file review with them she said that I didn't make it past Phase I because of my gpa (3.44 cum/3.22 sci [and somehow that is lower than every other school calculated it]), she said if I had I probably would have gotten an interview. I guess they don't even look at the rest of your application until Phase II. Anyway, I saw an acceptance with lower gpa than mine, so I am curious.

I know that the average GPA for accepted in-state students is lower than that for out-of-state students, so it would make sense if the IS cut off was lower.
Also, Phase I is based on all of the academic parts of an application, including GRE, classes taken, degrees earned, etc, so maybe that other accepted person had good enough GRE or had a Master's degree or something else that made up for their lower GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one rejection, from Miss. State, and I just had a file review done, saying:

- average amount of vet experience
- personal statement did not "stand out" (they could have been just a TAD more vague!)
- rec letters were "good but not exceptional" (but there's not really a whole lot I could do about that I figured..)
- needed more extracurricular activities

Also suggested I get more LA experience.

Basically I wasted my money applying, since clearly I was a terrible candidate for that school!

Did my file review with Penn today with Mr. Keiter. He seems like a really nice guy. I was really nervous and I hope I sounded ok. He said that I was denied because:
-My GRE scores were too low
-Not enough experience working under a veterinarian
-Personal statement wasn't "scientific" enough

- He said my GPA was good, so I guess I had something positive.

Thanks for your help. I have not decided if I am reapplying to Penn or not at this time. I am going to try to study really hard for the GRE and retake them next month and I am going to volunteer at a vet clinic for more hours. I really appreciate all the help and support form everyone on the forum - you guys rock!

Also, Phase I is based on all of the academic parts of an application, including GRE, classes taken, degrees earned, etc, so maybe that other accepted person had good enough GRE or had a Master's degree or something else that made up for their lower GPA?

Now I'm confused, because I was told it was JUST gpa. Maybe its different for IS verses OS in that way as well. I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth applying there again next round.

Now I'm confused, because I was told it was JUST gpa. Maybe its different for IS verses OS in that way as well. I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth applying there again next round.

I don't think it's different... Here's a link to the application process with a description of each round: http://vetmed.illinois.edu/asa/brochure/02.html.
I was under the impression that everyone went through the same process, it's just more difficult for OOS students since there's more competition for fewer seats.
Who told you that only GPA matters? If it was the admissions office, maybe they meant that GPA matters more or that only your GPA was holding you back from passing Phase I?