FIU vs UCF 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FIU vs UCF

• FIU

• UCF

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thesonoferik

Rachel
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between FIU and UCF. I've got instate so financially they are similar. The 2015 match results for UCF seem to be pretty promising. FIU and UCF both opened not too long ago.

Any argument for either school is welcome. I'm really torn.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For me it would be about deciding whether to live in Miami or Orlando.

Reactions: 1 user
For me it would be about deciding whether to live in Miami or Orlando.
I went to high school in Orlando so thats sort of a + and sort of a -. I've visited Miami a few times, but I'm not really sure what it's like living there. Climate wise they both seem pretty similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd give UCF the edge since FIU has a lot of competition with third year rotations in Miami (due to UM and NOVA/FAU to some extent). Due to this, FIU students rotate in various hospitals throughout Miami (ranging from North Miami to Homestead). Also, I think UCF gives more personal care/attention to their students.

However, those are my two cents.

I'd give UCF the edge since FIU has a lot of competition with third year rotations in Miami (due to UM and NOVA/FAU to some extent). Due to this, FIU students rotate in various hospitals throughout Miami (ranging from North Miami to Homestead).

Maybe it's just the way they've marketed it to prospective students, but they say that they send you to do your rotations at one of the best hospitals for the rotation. The current FIU students said that they felt the clinical experience was one of FIU's strong suits.

Maybe it's just the way they've marketed it to prospective students, but they say that they send you to do your rotations at one of the best hospitals for the rotation. The current FIU students said that they felt the clinical experience was one of FIU's strong suits.

Are you referring to Jackson? Jackson is a very good hospital but they send FIU students to Jackson North, which is off of the main campus and located in an OKAY neighborhood.
However, for Pediatrics they do send you to Miami Children's Hospital, which is a very good Peds hospital.

Honestly, they're both new schools and neither would really give you much advantage over the other. I would go with the cheapest first or whatever location you prefer.

UCF average step1 score last year was close 240. I have a friend who is in 3rd and he really likes it there. I vote for UCF.

For anyone interested I chose UCF feel free to contact me if you'd like to know why.

Last edited:
On the side of FIU: their average Step 1 scores are also a 240, they have been placing students at highly regarded residencies (Hopkins, Mayo, ad nauseum), and their clinical rotations are good and getting better. For those of you NOT aware: UM parted ways with Jackson last year. So, a good proportion of UM's rotations are now in West Palm Beach. How do I know this? I know current students AND an adjunct faculty member. So, schools--like FIU--are now in the process of buying up those vacant Jackson rotation spots.

Food for thought for future candidates.

Last edited:
When I interviewed in September, I could have sworn they told us their average was a 234. 240 seems a little high...
Both UCF and FIU are scoring well above the national average on step 1, and matching at top residencies across the country. UCFs 2015 match day results were a little more prestigious on average, but then again the sample size is really small and neither school provided information about top choices.

@BeachBlondie It's 234. The above poster is correct...

*shrug* Must be confabulation. Still, it's higher than the mean Step 1 score for gen surg and internal; on par with anesthesiology.

Last edited:
On the side of FIU: their average Step 1 scores are also a 240, they have been placing students at highly regarded residencies (Hopkins, Mayo, ad nauseum), and their clinical rotations are good and getting better. For those of you NOT aware: UM parted ways with Jackson last year. So, a good proportion of UM's rotations are now in West Palm Beach. How do I know this? I know current students AND an adjunct faculty member. So, schools--like FIU--are now in the process of buying up those vacant Jackson rotation spots.

Food for thought for future candidates.

I find it difficult to believe even though UM and Jackson have had a rocky relationship in the past. The Jackson main hospital and UM are intricately connected. They have countless programs together that have been in place for decades such as the UM/JMH burn center. Jackson memorial hospital is also a 5 minutes walk from the UM medical campus (they are basically considered the same campus). Miami's only emergency trauma center is also located here (Ryder trauma center) and it's part of UM medical students clinical rotations.

I did a UM internship less than a year ago and did an overnight clinical rotation at Ryder Trauma Center where I met current UM medical students. From what I heard UM is expanding research opportunities and their MPH/MD students in West Palm but I haven't heard about them reducing opportunities on their main campus. I would think that UM and Jackson parting ways would have definitely made it to local news but I haven't seen anything yet.

I don't see FIU medical students having clinical rotations as part of the curriculum at Jackson south anytime soon. It's definitely something I wouldn't count on as a future applicant but definitely a bonus if it does happen.

In the end I hope I'm wrong. I would love to have clinicals at Jackson if I attend FIU.

I find it difficult to believe even though UM and Jackson have had a rocky relationship in the past. The Jackson main hospital and UM are intricately connected. They have countless programs together that have been in place for decades such as the UM/JMH burn center. Jackson memorial hospital is also a 5 minutes walk from the UM medical campus (they are basically considered the same campus). Miami's only emergency trauma center is also located here (Ryder trauma center) and it's part of UM medical students clinical rotations.

I did a UM internship less than a year ago and did an overnight clinical rotation at Ryder Trauma Center where I met current UM medical students. From what I heard UM is expanding research opportunities and their MPH/MD students in West Palm but I haven't heard about them reducing opportunities on their main campus. I would think that UM and Jackson parting ways would have definitely made it to local news but I haven't seen anything yet.

I don't see FIU medical students having clinical rotations as part of the curriculum at Jackson south anytime soon. It's definitely something I wouldn't count on as a future applicant but definitely a bonus if it does happen.

In the end I hope I'm wrong. I would love to have clinicals at Jackson if I attend FIU.

Last year, my husband took the Step 1 in West Palm and several UM students were in there, bemoaning the rift and the fact that they were dissatisfied with being shipped North for rotations. Perhaps it has changed, but that was less than a year ago. And my boss, who is intimately tied to UM, was the one who initially told me. Just passing along what I had heard from current students and faculty.

Last edited:
Last year, my husband took the Step 1 in West Palm and several UM students were in there, bemoaning the rift and the fact that they were dissatisfied with being shipped North for rotations. Perhaps it has changed, but that was less than a year ago. And my boss, who is intimately tied to UM, was the one who initially told me. Just passing along what I had heard from current students and faculty.

The UM students that were taking step 1 with him were likely MD/MPH students. They do the majority of their clinical rotations in palm beach (most of them actually move up there after the second year) and MD students do most of their rotations at Jackson. I know this because I interviewed for both the md program and md/mph at UM this year and our tour even included Jackson Memorial. I also interviewed at FIU and I know that their students are also doing rotations at Jackson, but the majority of medical students continue to be from UM.

The UM students that were taking step 1 with him were likely MD/MPH students. They do the majority of their clinical rotations in palm beach (most of them actually move up there after the second year) and MD students do most of their rotations at Jackson. I know this because I interviewed for both the md program and md/mph at UM this year and our tour even included Jackson Memorial. I also interviewed at FIU and I know that their students are also doing rotations at Jackson, but the majority of medical students continue to be from UM.

Good to know. My boss must have been misinformed.

I teach at Miami Children's for FIU ped rotation. My daughter is going to UCF. I think both are great school.

Last month, I have a FIU student whose boyfriend goes to UM. She said FIU students did better on USMLE than UM students. FIU curriculum is better than UM's.

BUT, UM matches much better than FIU or UCF. This past match, UM has 17 students matched into ophthalmology !!! Many UM students also matched into top residencies.

So for residency, UM will match better. For overall experience, UCF. Student quality I have experienced, FIU is very much on par with UM.