FIU vs EVMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slimjim90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone can provide recent input on weighing the 2 schools. I am in-state for FIU. I initially thought that the OOS cost for EVMS would outweigh the benefits of it being a more established school but factoring in the cost of living in Miami actually makes the total cost of FIU close to 70k (per their website) even for in-state. EVMS estimated OOS cost is 82. So now I am reconsidering. Any thoughts from current students from either schools? They seem very similar in their community-based mission, which is what I am interested in. However, EVMS has much more established outreach programs, such as the HOPES free clinic (FIU does not have a free clinic). That coupled with the standardized patients, Ultrasound, and just the fact that it's an older school makes me more inclined to pick EVMS if cost were not an issue. Just trying to figure out if a 12k difference is worth it. A con for FIU for me is that there is almost no summer break (which invariably adds to the living cost). I would appreciate any advice! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

FIU and it's not even close. I'm not sure how you could possibly want to go to EVMS, unless you have family ties to the area.

FIU and it's not even close. I'm not sure how you could possibly want to go to EVMS, unless you have family ties to the area.

Do you mind explaining your reasoning? I am interested in EVMS bc it seems like the stronger school of the 2. Norfolk isn't the most exciting place to live but I don't care too much about that honestly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
>EVMS has much more established outreach programs, such as the HOPES free clinic (FIU does not have a free clinic). That coupled with the standardized patients, Ultrasound, and just the fact that it's an older school makes me more inclined to pick EVMS if cost were not an issue.

when you're in medical school, you're going to have minimal time for all of these things. Clinics, standardized patients, ultrasound? these sounded very cool to me when I was interviewing, but after getting through most of 1st year I'd rank these things as most important in pre-clinical curriculum:
- mandatory and optional lecture and events - how much truly free time do you have to study every day? This point is incredibly important.
- availability of research
- faculty mentors
- structured, organized elective course opportunities that allow you to receive free elective credit in 4th year, or less commonly 3rd year

Free clinic? not important, and you are going to participate in it for a few hours a month at most. There are student interest groups at every medical school that organize events that are the equivalent of a free clinic - going out into the community and doing HIV testing, taking blood pressure, etc

Standardized patients? don't make me laugh. If you feel weak on your clinical skills, e-mail any residents or attendings affiliated w/ the shcool for a chance to come in, shadow, and interview patients and do write-ups. Standardized patient encounters tend to be much more artificial and less intellectually challenging than even the most staight-forward, but real patient.

Ultrasound? this varies from school to school depending on how curriculum is organized, and but is not very important in grand scheme of things. Love studying anatomy? Study radiology from the 20 million resources available online. There are also the inevitable student interest groups that put up ultrasound events throughout the year.

Both EVMS and FIU are new schools that started up in the 2000s so both are new, inexperienced schools. They have about the same ranking I'd imagine.

In your position I would contact 3rd/4th years at each school and ask - what is your school's Step 1 average and how did your school's curriculum prepare you for Step 1?

Last edited:
Fiu has neighborhood HELP, which is perhaps the most comprehensive, nationally recognized free clinic system in the country. The guy who created it (his name is Dr. Grier I believe) won the presidential medal of freedom from Obama for his work with the underserved.

I would say FIU hands down. It's on my short list (still choosing between there and wake forest), but their doing very well despite their young program.

Also FIUs curriculum has done amazingly peeping students, their step averages are insanely high (238).

I'd say take the cheaper and just as good if not better option and go FIU

Reactions: 1 user
So FIU would be $280K and EVMS would be $328K. When it comes time to repay that loan, if you want to pay it off in 10 yrs, you would be paying over $1K more per month for EVMS than FIU for those 120 months.

It's always better to compare what the repayment with look like than the actual cost

Also FIUs curriculum has done amazingly peeping students, their step averages are insanely high (238).

think the choice is clear with FIU and EVMS then

a good curriculum is a godsend and absolutely the best, most helpful service your medical school will provide you with.

>EVMS has much more established outreach programs, such as the HOPES free clinic (FIU does not have a free clinic). That coupled with the standardized patients, Ultrasound, and just the fact that it's an older school makes me more inclined to pick EVMS if cost were not an issue.

when you're in medical school, you're going to have minimal time for all of these things. Clinics, standardized patients, ultrasound? these sounded very cool to me when I was interviewing, but after getting through most of 1st year I'd rank these things as most important in pre-clinical curriculum:
- mandatory and optional lecture and events - how much truly free time do you have to study every day? This point is incredibly important.
- availability of research
- faculty mentors
- structured, organized elective course opportunities that allow you to receive free elective credit in 4th year, or less commonly 3rd year

Free clinic? not important, and you are going to participate in it for a few hours a month at most. There are student interest groups at every medical school that organize events that are the equivalent of a free clinic - going out into the community and doing HIV testing, taking blood pressure, etc

Standardized patients? don't make me laugh. If you feel weak on your clinical skills, e-mail any residents or attendings affiliated w/ the shcool for a chance to come in, shadow, and interview patients and do write-ups. Standardized patient encounters tend to be much more artificial and less intellectually challenging than even the most staight-forward, but real patient.

Ultrasound? this varies from school to school depending on how curriculum is organized, and but is not very important in grand scheme of things. Love studying anatomy? Study radiology from the 20 million resources available online. There are also the inevitable student interest groups that put up ultrasound events throughout the year.

Both EVMS and FIU are new schools that started up in the 2000s so both are new, inexperienced schools. They have about the same ranking I'd imagine.

In your position I would contact 3rd/4th years at each school and ask - what is your school's Step 1 average and how did your school's curriculum prepare you for Step 1?

I see what you're saying but my main point is that EVMS is technically the better school since it has been around much longer. I would think that would come in to play when applying for residency to have people who are familiar with your school (ie have residency directors/admission people who have graduated from there, have current residents who have matriculated from EVMS, etc.). FIU does have a higher average step 1 but they make you take it latter on during 3rd year after clinicals. Some cons to FIU are: they are not pass/fail and if I remember correctly tests are like every week or every other, which is kind of annoying. They have no break between M1/M2. There clinical rotation sites are not at a unified spot (EVMS has Sentara). I just don't want to leave any stone unturned when making my decision. I appreciate all of the feedback so far. Any pro-EVMS ones would also be appreciated.

Fiu has neighborhood HELP, which is perhaps the most comprehensive, nationally recognized free clinic system in the country. The guy who created it (his name is Dr. Grier I believe) won the presidential medal of freedom from Obama for his work with the underserved.

I would say FIU hands down. It's on my short list (still choosing between there and wake forest), but their doing very well despite their young program.

I'd say take the cheaper and just as good if not better option and go FIU

Just out of curiosity, what would make you pick Wake Forest over FIU? Are you in-state for either?

Last edited:
I see what you're saying but my main point is that EVMS is technically the better school since it has been around much longer. I would think that would come in to play when applying for residency to have people who are familiar with your school (ie have residency directors/admission people who have graduated from there, have current residents who have matriculated from EVMS, etc.). FIU does have a higher average step 1 but they make you take it latter on during 3rd year after clinicals. Some cons to FIU are: they are not pass/fail which is kind of annoying. They have no break between M1/M2. There clinical rotation sites are not at a unified spot (EVMS has Sentara)

Just out of curiosity, what would make you pick Wake Forest over FIU? Are you in-state for either?

I'm instate at FIU, but it's basically a wash for COA between the two schools. Right now I'm grappling with leaving my family and an area I'm very fond of (Miami) to live in a relatively cold small town. I feel the educational quality is similar between the schools, but the wake name may help slightly down the road.

The reason I'm favoring FIU currently is because I'd like to practice in Florida as a resident/attending, so building connections in Miami is important. Wake, much like EVMS places most people in their region

Reactions: 1 user
Unless I'm misreading something, FIU is also only ~$63K/yr for a grand total of $252K http://medicine.fiu.edu/education/m...f-student-affairs/fin-aid/cost-of-attendance/

There are some benefits to going to a more established school, both those benefits pale 100% in comparison to the $320K you will save when all is said and done by going to FIU. The value of taking out $80K less in loans should not be understated, imho.

Unless I'm misreading something, FIU is also only ~$63K/yr for a grand total of $252K http://medicine.fiu.edu/education/m...f-student-affairs/fin-aid/cost-of-attendance/

There are some benefits to going to a more established school, both those benefits pale 100% in comparison to the $320K you will save when all is said and done by going to FIU. The value of taking out $80K less in loans should not be understated, imho.

I thought so too at first. But if you look closely at the table, the 4th column shows the additional cost associated with having to stay in Miami over the summer. They estimate an additional $9,633. You only get a 5-week break between M1/M2 and most people opt out of taking it in order to use that time to fulfill a research requirement so they don't have to do it fourth year. Each year, there is that additional cost of living that I think unfortunately a lot of people overlook. That brings the total closer to 71-75k, which is not as far off from EVMS. I recognize there is still a sizeable difference but I am lucky to have my parents contribute to my medical education. I'm really just trying to determine if the benefits of EVMS are worth the difference. Thanks again.