UCF vs Mizzou

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiger330

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have some options this application cycle and have it narrowed down to UCF and Mizzou, but I'm having a hard time making the final choice. The curriculum at each school is essentially a wash M1-M4 (there is good and bad about both). For what its worth, I've wanted to be a dermatologist for as long as I can remember, even if it may be a bit of an uphill battle from a school that's not in the upper tier.

Here's my situation:

Finances: I received a scholarship from UCF but nothing from Mizzou. Since Missouri is my home state, Mizzou still costs about $13,000 less per year. Also, I would definitely need a car at UCF (which I dont currently have), but I wouldn't need one at Mizzou.

UCF: Pros -I love the school, the area, the potential it has to grow in to something bigger, and an opportunity to go somewhere new.
-My girlfriend will be in Jacksonville, and my grandparents live a couple hours south.
-Everybody I've met at the school seems to want whats best for the students.
-There are tons of resources to make sure everybody does as well as they can on the boards (including plenty of time off to study), and there is designated research time (kind of) in the FIRE program.

Cons- lack of home residency programs and everything that comes with it like, connections, research (not that Mizzou is a powerhouse, but still), and mentors. There have been several people that matched in to dermatology from UCF in the past couple years, but it seems like it may be even tougher than coming from Mizzou? (and there was somebody that it says matched at UT-Southwestern, but no resident in their program is from UCF...)

Mizzou: Pros -Its familiar (good and bad).
-My brother will live in CoMo for another two years while he gets his masters, and the rest of my family lives in St. Louis.
-Home residency programs, with pretty solid dermatology matches for what it is (Emory, UChicago, SLU, and a handful of home matches over the past two years)
-$52,000 less in tuition and no need for a car

Cons- Unfortunately, Mizzou doesn't set time aside for the boards, and the average accepted scores (MCAT/GPA) are lower, which bothers me more than it should.
- Part of me wants something different, but it would be awesome to live with my brother for a bit

Sorry for the novel...

Members don't see this ad.

Read your post. It really sounds like you're leaning heavily towards UCF. What you do during school is leaps and bounds more important than the name of the school on your residency application. Go to the place where you'll thrive.

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm leaning towards UCF too, I just keep second guessing myself because Mizzou seems like the safer place to go, and I keep thinking of what I could do with $52,000 haha. The reassurance that what I do in school is more important is much appreciated though. Definitely been struggling with that part throughout the cycle since derm is the goal...

EDIT: And I suppose that's why Mizzou is still appealing. It gives me a derm program to fall back on

Members don't see this ad :)
Step outside your comfort zone. Experience a new place.

UCF surely has people matching derm. And I know you say you've always wanted to do it, but a looooot of people become interested in different specialties during school.

Medicine is a career full of choices where you can either go with what makes you happy, or what gives you a more prestigious career (and the rare lucky occasion those overlap). Based off what you said, UCF sounds like it'd be better for the former. The decision on how you prioritize your well-being vs your career is entirely your's.

I was under the impression that seem really needs specific research opportunities, and Mizzou would give you an easier path. How would you get that opportunity at UCF?

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
The resident at UT southwestern, if they are from 2015, they are doing an intern year. Intern year can be done anywhere there is space and then after that year they start at UT Southwestern in the derm program.

I still think you should take the cheaper mizzou program though.

And what do you mean Mizzou doesnt set aside time for boards? They must. That would be crazy if they didnt

It really does seem crazy to not have time set aside for boards. The students assured us that it works out just fine because the professors "understand we need to study for Step 1 too". But it's still a little worrisome...

The UT southwestern match was from 2014, but maybe something came up or...something?

I definitely could become interested in a different specialty during school (hopefully one that's a little less competitive!)

UCF has tons of volunteer faculty and some connections with hospitals in the area, but I'm thinking that it still might be harder to find research opportunities. The thing that makes it so tough with UCF is everything is kind of up in the air with the program. It could look completely different in 4 years and have a completely different reputation...

Thanks for the input everybody!!