General Admissions & OTCAS Florida OT Applicants 2018/2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureOT813

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw a post like this for Texas so I thought I would do the same for Florida. When you hear back share it with the thread!

University: University of Tampa
Major: Allied Health
Overall GPA: 3.35 - might be slightly lower on OTCAS not sure (3.25 ish on OTCAS?)
Pre-Req GPA: 3.3-3.6 (depending on school)
Last 60 Credit Hours so far GPA: 3.51
GRE: Q:153 V:143 AW: 4.0

Extra-Curric: President of Order of Omega Greek Honor Society, Vice President of OT club, Competition Officer for HOSA, Member of Sorority, Director of Public Relations of my Sorority, Director of Senior Programming for my Sorority, Over 60 hours of community service through my sorority, 3 years of working at a Children's Day Camp, College Cheerleader (Freshman Year)

Shadowing/Observation Hours: (141 hours in total) 50 hours of School-based OT, 36 Hours of Hand Therapy OT, 40 hours of Pediatric Outpatient OT, 7 hours in a pediatric hospital setting OT, 8 hours at a rehabilitation outpatient clinic

Letters of Rec: 2 OT's (Hand Therapist and Pediatric OT), 1 anatomy professor, 1 from the head chair of allied health science (professor)

Applying to: Gannon University, Nova Southeastern (Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale), FGCU, St. Augustine in MIAMI, Adventist University of Health Science, Hofstra (NY), Seton Hall (NJ)

Attending: St Augustine- Miami MOT May 2019 Start!!!!!!!!
Acceptances: NOVA Southeastern OTD (10/30), St Augustine- Miami MOT (11/26)
Interviews: Gannon University (11/10), Nova Southeastern OTD Tampa (10/4), St. Augustine-Miami (11/9)
Rejections: Hofstra University (NY)
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey! Great to see a post on Florida schools!

University: University of Florida
Major: Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.7 (depending on school)
Last 60 Credit Hours so far GPA: 3.66
GRE: 287 AW: 4.0 (i know, kinda crappy)

Extra-Curric: mentor for a health club, salsa & self defense student, student occupational therapy member, many dean's list honors, bilingual, BLS/HIPAA/BBP certified, community college grad with highest honors, volunteer at my local high school

Shadowing/Observation Hours: 229 hours - pediatrics, hand therapy, a bit of cognitive and geriatrics
Letters of Rec: 4 OT's and 1 COTA

Applying to: Barry, NSU, FIU, FGCU, UF, USA

Acceptances:
Interviews:
Rejections :
Waitlisted:

Reactions: 1 user
Just received my first interview at Gannon University on 11/10

I saw a post like this for Texas so I thought I would do the same for Florida. When you hear back share it with the thread!

Overall GPA: 3.35 - might be slightly lower on OTCAS not sure (3.25 ish on OTCAS?)

Extra-Curric: President of Order of Omega Greek Honor Society, Vice President of OT club, Competition Officer for HOSA, Member of Sorority, Director of Public Relations of my Sorority, Director of Senior Programming for my Sorority, Over 60 hours of community service through my sorority, 3 years of working at a Children's Day Camp, College Cheerleader (Freshman Year)

Shadowing/Observation Hours: (141 hours in total) 50 hours of School-based OT, 36 Hours of Hand Therapy OT, 40 hours of Pediatric Outpatient OT, 7 hours in a pediatric hospital setting OT, 8 hours at a rehabilitation outpatient clinic

Letters of Rec: 2 OT's (Hand Therapist and Pediatric OT), 1 anatomy professor, 1 from the head chair of allied health science (professor)

Applying to: Gannon University, Nova Southeastern (Tampa and Ft. Lauderdale), FGCU, St. Augustine in MIAMI, Adventist University of Health Science, Hofstra (NY), Seton Hall (NJ)

Acceptances:
Interviews:
Rejections :
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad :)
College: University of Central Florida
Major: Exercise Science and Human Performance
Last 60 GPA: 3.7
Overall: 3.18
Pre-req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 4.0 AW, and somewhere in the 140’s for both other sections. Can’t remember exactly. Standardized tests aren’t my thing :(
Experience:
1) 100+ observation hours under a few different OT disciplines including pediatric, general outpatient, hand therapy, and lymphedema care in OT.
2) 6 month internship working for a special school for students with neurological disorders such as autism and cerebral palsy. I spent my days there helping them practice their everyday functions such as sitting, standing, independently toileting and eating.
3) currently working for Florida Hospital as an exercise physiologist! :) The population I work with is mostly neuro based, but I see ortho as well. I work as an extension of the PT/OT’s continuing patient therapy when they get discharged due to insurance reasons or plateau. I also assist the PT/OT’s with modalities such as E-Stim and Ultrasound. 3 days a week I teach aquatic therapy classes through Florida Hospital as well, where I mostly work with patients with arthritis or post CVA.
4) executive board member for the transfer student national honor society for 1 year during undergrad.

Applied: Nova Southeastern (MOT) & University of St. Augustine (Flex MOT at St Augustine campus)
Interviews;
Acceptances:
Waitlist:
Rejections:

Good luck everyone! I’ve also applied to 4 other schools in other states so hopefully i’ll Get lucky somewhere :)

Hey! Great to see a post on Florida schools!

University: University of Florida
Major: Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-Req GPA: 3.6-3.7 (depending on school)
Last 60 Credit Hours so far GPA: 3.66
GRE: 287 AW: 4.0 (i know, kinda crappy)

Extra-Curric: mentor for a health club, salsa & self defense student, student occupational therapy member, many dean's list honors, bilingual, BLS/HIPAA/BBP certified, community college grad with highest honors, volunteer at my local high school

Shadowing/Observation Hours: 229 hours - pediatrics, hand therapy, a bit of cognitive and geriatrics
Letters of Rec: 4 OT's and 1 COTA

Acceptances:
Interviews:
Rejections :
Waitlisted:

I noticed that you applied to the FIU program. I wanted to apply here as well but I noticed that they require a lot more prereqs than other programs. They also require a 3000 level Anatomy, whereas most programs accept 2000 level. Did you take extra classes to meet the prereq requirements for FIU?

I noticed that you applied to the FIU program. I wanted to apply here as well but I noticed that they require a lot more prereqs than other programs. They also require a 3000 level Anatomy, whereas most programs accept 2000 level. Did you take extra classes to meet the prereq requirements for FIU?

Hey! I transferred from a community college to a specific university that had a pre-OT track so its program meets all of the pre-reqs for OT schools within Florida. I did this purposely so I wouldn't have to take extra classes after my bachelor's degree, so no, I didn't have to take extra classes to meet FIU's pre-reqs. Lucky for me, I am able to complete it within my 4 years of undergrad.

Hey! I transferred from a community college to a specific university that had a pre-OT track so its program meets all of the pre-reqs for OT schools within Florida. I did this purposely so I wouldn't have to take extra classes after my bachelor's degree, so no, I didn't have to take extra classes to meet FIU's pre-reqs. Lucky for me, I am able to complete it within my 4 years of undergrad.

Thanks for the response! Oh wow, that's a pretty amazing program. So did it include a 3000 level Anatomy? I want to apply to FIU, but I couldn't afford to retake Anatomy just to apply to one school. My undergrad only offered 2000 level Anatomy.

Applied to several other schools outside of Florida but FL schools I applied to: Nova Southeastern (MOT), Adventist, University of St. Augustine (MOT-Fall 2019).

Major: Biology
Cumulative GPA: 3.31
Prerequisite: 3.45-3.7
Last 60: 3.65
GRE: 300/4.0
Observation hours: 185 - 4 settings

Interviews: Nova Southeastern (10/7)
Acceptances:
Rejections:

Last edited:
Applied to several other schools outside of Florida but FL schools I applied to: Nova Southeastern (MOT), Adventist, University of St. Augustine (MOT-Fall 2019).

Acceptances:
Rejections:

When did you hear back from Nova's MOT, I have only gotten an interview from the Nova OTD program but haven't heard back from MOT yet.

Thanks for the response! Oh wow, that's a pretty amazing program. So did it include a 3000 level Anatomy? I want to apply to FIU, but I couldn't afford to retake Anatomy just to apply to one school. My undergrad only offered 2000 level Anatomy.
Hey! So yes, the program does include upper division anatomy (muscoskeletal anatomy). And of course, i totally get it, the situation just sucks i bet. good luck applying around!

Acceptances:
Rejections:
Hey, how was Nova's interview? I got a call from them last week saying they'll call me in a couple of weeks notifying me about my status. I still have yet to get an interview.

Hey, how was Nova's interview? I got a call from them last week saying they'll call me in a couple of weeks notifying me about my status. I still have yet to get an interview.
I got an email last week. It was a personal video essay I had to record myself answering their prompts. The hardest part was editing the bits into a video lol.

Acceptances:
Interviews: Gannon University (11/10), Nova Southeastern OTD Tampa (10/4), St. Augustine-Miami (10/9)
Waitlisted:

Hi! I was wondering how the interview went for St. Augustine-Miami? I have an interview 11/9 and would love to get some feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was wondering how the interview went for St. Augustine-Miami? I have an interview 11/9 and would love to get some feedback!

Hey there,
So I realized I put 10/9 instead of 11/9. I am also interviewing on 11/9 at the Miami campus so I will see you there!

Hi :) has anyone here applied to Nova Otd in Tampa or Gannon? Have you heard back as of yet

Hi :) has anyone here applied to Nova Otd in Tampa or Gannon? Have you heard back as of yet

I submitted my Nova OTD video interview on 10/4 and received an acceptance call on 10/30. I have not interviewed at Gannon yet as my interview is on 11/10.

I submitted my Nova OTD video interview on 10/4 and received an acceptance call on 10/30. I have not interviewed at Gannon yet as my interview is on 11/10.
That's awesome! Congratulations. I submitted my video last week. So they call you to let you know, nothing through email or mail? Thanks

That's awesome! Congratulations. I submitted my video last week. So they call you to let you know, nothing through email or mail? Thanks
Thank you so much, you should probably hear back in a month or so. Good Luck!

Also, they call you first and then send you the email shortly after.

Hey guys, those of you who applied to Nova, did anybody use AP credits towards the prereq requirement?

Acceptances:
Interviews: Nova (Ft. Lauderdale)
Rejections :
Waitlisted:

Acceptances:
Interviews: Nova (Ft. Lauderdale)
Rejections :
Waitlisted:

Hey congrats on the interview! When exactly did you submit your application to Nova and then heard back for the video interview? I'm looking to submit my application for Nova -- Ft. Lauderdale myself in the first week of December. Our stats are very similar for the most part so seeing you got an interview gives me hope, although I know I'm applying on the later end...

Hey congrats on the interview! When exactly did you submit your application to Nova and then heard back for the video interview? I'm looking to submit my application for Nova -- Ft. Lauderdale myself in the first week of December. Our stats are very similar for the most part so seeing you got an interview gives me hope, although I know I'm applying on the later end...

Hey! I applied to NSU in early September, was verified in 3 weeks later in October, and received an interview invite in November. Good luck!

Hey! How was the interview process like in St. Augustine? I was just offered an interview invite for the Miami campus and wanted to see how the campus was like, the kind of questions, etc. My friend interviewed in the St. Augustine campus and she said it was a 2 applicants being interviewed at the same time.

Hey! How was the interview process like in St. Augustine? I was just offered an interview invite for the Miami campus and wanted to see how the campus was like, the kind of questions, etc. My friend interviewed in the St. Augustine campus and she said it was a 2 applicants being interviewed at the same time.

Hi! It was combined PT and OT in a big room and we had an orientation and Q&A. Then we were split into two groups. Group 1 would interview while Group 2 took a tour of the campus and vice versa. We had 2 applicants for each interviewer as well. The person who interviewed me was very chill and didn’t make us feel nervous at all. It felt like a conversation! He asked us two questions each and then a scenario. Questions were simple. Feel free to PM me if you want specific questions asked! & good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I wouldn’t worry about applying on the later end too much. I submitted mine in early September and as of yesterday, are still reviewing my application so I have not heard about a video interview invite. I’ve called like 3 times to check haha

Undergrad: FSU
GPA: 3.3
GRE: V: 157 Q: 151 W: 4.5

Applied: NSU (OTD and MOT), USA MOT , FGCU, UF, Gannon, Adventist, FIU, Barry

Interviewed: NSU OTD, NSU MOT, USA MOT

Invited for an interview: Gannon (declined), FGCU

Accepted: Nova Tampa OTD (12/14/18)!!

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Applied: NSU (OTD and MOT), USA MOT , FGCU, UF, Gannon, Adventist, FIU, Barry

Interviewed: NSU OTD, NSU MOT, USA MOT

Good luck everyone!

Hey! How'd you like USA? I had my interview today as well at the Miami campus.

I applied to Adventist it is really the only school I can apply to this year. Has anyone heard anything from Adventist? I know their deadline is not until March, but I was just wondering if they send out any information early.
Thank You!

Acceptances: NOVA Southeastern OTD (10/30)
Interviews: Gannon University (11/10), Nova Southeastern OTD Tampa (10/4), St. Augustine-Miami (11/9)
Waitlisted:

Hey congratulations on your interviews! Was curious on your thoughts regarding the St-Augustine-Miami campus and how the interview went. And did you hear back from them with a decision? I know it's been a month since the interview

Those of you who have interviewed at USA, did they give a specific date for when they would release decisions?

Those of you who have interviewed at USA, did they give a specific date for when they would release decisions?
In one of the papers we were given, it said we would be notified in 3 weeks after our interview

Reactions: 1 users
Hey congratulations on your interviews! Was curious on your thoughts regarding the St-Augustine-Miami campus and how the interview went. And did you hear back from them with a decision? I know it's been a month since the interview

Yes! So I interviewed on November 9th and heard back on November 26th. I got accepted and will be taking the spot. I was in love with the campus and program!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! How'd you like USA? I had my interview today as well at the Miami campus.
I really liked it! Everyone was very nice and welcoming. Mine was on the St. Augustine campus. How did you like it?

I just received validation through OTCAS and my last LOR just finally came through.
Applying to: Nova OTD & MOT, Barry, University of St. Augustine & Florida Gulf Coast University.
Major: Psychology
Overall: 3.62
GRE: 154 V 149 Q 4.0 A
1) ~50 hours OT Observation across 3 settings
2) I also volunteer as a "snuggler" in the NICU, Big brothers Big Sister's mentor for 5 years and an Autism play group for the past year.

Interviews:, Nova MOT (1/8), Nova OTD (1/15).
Accepted: Nova OTD Tampa

Last edited:
Hey! I have an interview with USA on the 18th of December does anyone mind sharing the type of questions they asked please

Has anyone applied for Gannon OTD and heard anything back yet? Thank You!!

Has anyone who interviewed at USA at St. Augustine on December 7 heard back yet? I know they said within 3 weeks but I was hoping it would be before the holidays

Has anyone who interviewed at USA at St. Augustine on December 7 heard back yet? I know they said within 3 weeks but I was hoping it would be before the holidays

Hey! I interviewed December 7th and got an acceptance on the 17th. They also said it would be after the holidays but they got back to me quick.

Hey! I interviewed December 7th and got an acceptance on the 17th. They also said it would be after the holidays but they got back to me quick.
I just got accepted into USA’s spring class! are you planning on attending? and if you are, what term?

I just got accepted into USA’s spring class! are you planning on attending? and if you are, what term?
I applied for Fall 2019. I am waiting to hear back from other schools to make a decision! How about you?

I applied for Fall 2019. I am waiting to hear back from other schools to make a decision! How about you?
I originally applied for fall but I got a waitlist email this morning. then 5 minutes later I got an offer to attend this Spring.

it's great you got an offer though, congrats! you'll be attending the main st. augustine campus?