Step I For DO-Students Taking Both USMLE/COMLEX Step 1- Study plan/practice scores/actual test scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrT28

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just recently took both USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX Level 1 (Scores at bottom of post). I remember having a difficult time finding relevant SDN threads for people taking both exams, in regards to test prep/schedule/practice test scores and the correlating final scores on exam. I'm just posting what I've done on here, I hope this helps somebody. I know I could've used something like this when I was starting to prep for boards!


  • I Took Step 1 exactly 5 days before Comlex Level 1 (If you study hard for Step 1, the science portion on the Comlex will seem much simpler)
    • In the 3.5 days between my exams (I took the afternoon before the comlex off) I completed:
      • The ~150 OMM Qbank Questions on Comquest
      • ~230 OMM Qbank Questions on Kaplan
      • Read All Savarese (about 170pgs, didn't do any of their questions, took 6-7hrs)
      • Memorized/leisurely read through Viserosomatic Reflexes and Chapman Points everyday
      • Did Random UWorld Questions in b/w to keep my science sharp
      • Completed Comsae E practice exam, 2 mornings before my exam
  • Overall for Step 1, I kept it simple.
    • I did Pathoma (randomly) multiple times my 2nd year
    • About 7000 First-pass Qbank Questions (Kaplan, Pastest, and Uworld) in the period of ~1 year
    • A few of the High Yield DIT videos (Biostats one is good)
    • I never fully read First Aid Cover to cover. I have a PDF copy and everyday, as I studied, I'd make a list of topics/drugs/etc. that I needed to read about and I'd spend 1-1.5 hrs each night reading them (often reviewing topics multiple times)
    • Also a bunch of Random Youtube videos as needed (MedCram, Medical Geentics, DirtyUSMLE, etc)

  • Qbanks First Pass Scores and Practice Test Scores:
    • For STEP 1:
      • UWorld Qbank First Pass: 81%
      • UWorld Sim1: 83.8% / 660 / 262
      • UWorld Sim2: 85% / 630 / 256
      • NBME Free 120: 90.8%
      • NBME 18: 620 / 252 (19 Incorrect)
      • NBME 19: 590 / 246 (16 Incorrect)
    • For Level 1:
      • Kaplan Comlex Diagnostic Tests
        • Test 1: 71%
        • Test 2: 80%
      • COMSAE D: 702
      • COMSAE E: 777
  • Actual Test Scores:
    • USMLE Step 1: 247
    • COMLEX Level 1: 717
 
Last edited:
Thanks for this awesome info! Could you share your schedule if you happen to recall? Ex: when you started, did you have phases of increasing hours of studying-what were they, do you have any other relevant advice/ things you wish you knew beforehand in planning such a schedule?