BOTH For DO-Students Taking Both USMLE/COMLEX Step 1- Study plan/practice scores/actual test scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrT28

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently took both USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX Level 1 (Scores at bottom of post). I remember having a difficult time finding relevant SDN threads for people taking both exams, in regards to test prep/schedule/practice test scores and the correlating final scores on exam. I'm just posting what I've done on here, I hope this helps somebody. I know I could've used something like this when I was starting to prep for boards!

• I Took Step 1 exactly 5 days before Comlex Level 1 (If you study hard for Step 1, the science portion on the Comlex will seem much simpler)
    • In the 3.5 days between my exams (I took the afternoon before the comlex off) I completed:
      • The ~150 OMM Qbank Questions on Comquest
      • ~230 OMM Qbank Questions on Kaplan
      • Read All Savarese (about 170pgs, didn't do any of their questions, took 6-7hrs)
      • Memorized/leisurely read through Viserosomatic Reflexes and Chapman Points everyday
      • Did Random UWorld Questions in b/w to keep my science sharp
      • Completed Comsae E practice exam, 2 mornings before my exam
  • Overall for Step 1, I kept it simple.
    • I did Pathoma (randomly) multiple times my 2nd year
    • About 7000 First-pass Qbank Questions (Kaplan, Pastest, and Uworld) in the period of ~1 year
    • A few of the High Yield DIT videos (Biostats one is good)
    • I never fully read First Aid Cover to cover. I have a PDF copy and everyday, as I studied, I'd make a list of topics/drugs/etc. that I needed to read about and I'd spend 1-1.5 hrs each night reading them (often reviewing topics multiple times)
    • Also a bunch of Random Youtube videos as needed (MedCram, Medical Geentics, DirtyUSMLE, etc)

• Qbanks First Pass Scores and Practice Test Scores:
    • For STEP 1:
      • UWorld Qbank First Pass: 81%
      • UWorld Sim1: 83.8% / 660 / 262
      • UWorld Sim2: 85% / 630 / 256
      • NBME Free 120: 90.8%
      • NBME 18: 620 / 252 (19 Incorrect)
      • NBME 19: 590 / 246 (16 Incorrect)
    • For Level 1:
      • Kaplan Comlex Diagnostic Tests
        • Test 1: 71%
        • Test 2: 80%
      • COMSAE D: 702
      • COMSAE E: 777
  • Actual Test Scores:
    • USMLE Step 1: 247
    • COMLEX Level 1: 717

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Thanks for this awesome info! Could you share your schedule if you happen to recall? Ex: when you started, did you have phases of increasing hours of studying-what were they, do you have any other relevant advice/ things you wish you knew beforehand in planning such a schedule?