For you Dead Fans out there...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I opened up the show to Ol' Slewfoot and started laughing. What was going on here? I feel like they're being tongue-in-cheek but it still sounds awfully good. I love that Jerry just decided to pick up pedal steel one day and was essentially a professional immediately.
Today, I listened to all of 6/27/69 and I have to say, it's one of the weirdest Dead shows I've ever listened to. It starts out as honky tonk countrified as you can get, until about halfway through Me & My Uncle, out like a switchblade comes and electric rock guitar solo by Jerry. Then they start playing a song that gets me thinking, "I've never heard this one before," but eventually it reveals itself as an embryonic version of Casey Jones (2nd ever) which sounds like the band was writing as they went.

Halfway through, Pigpen is obviously thinking " ***k this s***" and rips the scab off completely as you hear a bruising, "Big. Boss. MAN...(dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah..." while they tear into electric blues without any warning to the fans.

They make another left turn and go into a pretty psychedelic Dark Star>St. Stephen>WIlliam Tell>The Eleven Jam, as people in the crowd must certainly be think, "Wtf are we witnessing here?"

To further mind**** the crowd, they hit the brakes 100% and go back into Bob Weir Country and Western Land, with Green Green Grass of Home. Just as you think it can't get any weirder, they finish it off with what sounds like a gospel organ version of Bob Dylan's, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, which in a weird way, I kind of like.

So, I don't entirely know what to think of this show. I kind of like it in a weird way. It's unlike any other Dead show I've listened to. I'm not sure how often I'll come back to it, if ever. But if I stumble upon it again, I'll probably somewhat enjoy it in a weird way.

If you like country Dead, you'll probably love it. If you like primal, psychedelic Dead, you'll probably like Dark Star through The Eleven. All in all, it's notable for its rarities (Bob Weir lead vocals on Dire Wolf, embryonic 2nd Casey Jones ever, unusual gospel-like Baby Blue cover, pristine High Time and primal Dark Star>St Stephen > Eleven. You just never knew what to expect with this band and that's what made Grateful Dead great.

6/27/69 Veterans Auditorium, Santa Rosa

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Holy crap this is an awesome find. Jerry Garcia Band playing on a lawless, rundown boat in New York Harbor fill with members of the Hells Angels biker gang. At 14:45, a stoned biker grabs the mic and slurs to Jerry something to the effect (?) of, "play some better music, I'm not down with the boogie woogie" (??) Funky version of Eric Clapton's (actually J.J. Cale's) song After Midnight starts at 15:45. And check out bassist John Kahn, all decked out '70s style playing with a smoke hanging out of his mouth :lol:.

9/15/76 USS Duchess (NY Harbor), Jerry Garcia Band

Unbelievable comments about the scene below the video from people were there, and also here.

• Haha
Today, I listened to all of 6/27/69 and I have to say, it's one of the weirdest Dead shows I've ever listened to. It starts out as honky tonk countrified as you can get, until about halfway through Me & My Uncle, out like a switchblade comes and electric rock guitar solo by Jerry. Then they start playing a song that gets me thinking, "I've never heard this one before," but eventually it reveals itself as an embryonic version of Casey Jones (2nd ever) which sounds like the band was writing as they went.

Halfway through, Pigpen is obviously thinking " ***k this s***" and rips the scab off completely as you hear a bruising, "Big. Boss. MAN...(dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah-dah..." while they tear into electric blues without any warning to the fans.

They make another left turn and go into a pretty psychedelic Dark Star>St. Stephen>WIlliam Tell>The Eleven Jam, as people in the crowd must certainly be think, "Wtf are we witnessing here?"

To further mind**** the crowd, they hit the brakes 100% and go back into Bob Weir Country and Western Land, with Green Green Grass of Home. Just as you think it can't get any weirder, they finish it off with what sounds like a gospel organ version of Bob Dylan's, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, which in a weird way, I kind of like.

So, I don't entirely know what to think of this show. I kind of like it in a weird way. It's unlike any other Dead show I've listened to. I'm not sure how often I'll come back to it, if ever. But if I stumble upon it again, I'll probably somewhat enjoy it in a weird way.

If you like country Dead, you'll probably love it. If you like primal, psychedelic Dead, you'll probably like Dark Star through The Eleven. All in all, it's notable for its rarities (Bob Weir lead vocals on Dire Wolf, embryonic 2nd Casey Jones ever, unusual gospel-like Baby Blue cover, pristine High Time and primal Dark Star>St Stephen > Eleven. You just never knew what to expect with this band and that's what made Grateful Dead great.

6/27/69 Veterans Auditorium, Santa Rosa
I skipped ahead a bit yesterday and started to listen to this. Yes. I love finding shows like this. There’s so much of what they would become mixed in with the Haight-Ashbury acid fusion jazz/rock polka dot music (or whatever Phil called it) and good old foot-stomping electric blues. This must have been such an incredible time to have been a fan of these guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Listening to 6/28/74 at Boston Garden, today. I have to say, the Weather Report Suite>Jam>U.S. Blues (tracks 20-22) is as good as advertised. It's not for p*****s, though. A+++

To be continued...

Reactions: 1 users
Listening to 6/28/74 at Boston Garden, today. I have to say, the Weather Report Suite>Jam>U.S. Blues (tracks 20-22) is as good as advertised. It's not for p*****s, though. A+++

To be continued...
@thegenius ...You were right. This show is unfrickin' believable. 6/28/74....Wtf.

I don't know how this band did it, day after day. Artistic genius? Gift from God? All of the above? I don't know...

Play this ***t right now, people.

@thegenius ...You were right. This show is unfrickin' believable. 6/28/74....Wtf.

I don't know how this band did it, day after day. Artistic genius? Gift from God? All of the above? I don't know...

Play this ***t right now, people.
On it. Hey, you listen to these shows on your runs? Are you using the archive app? Running directly from whatever internet explorer on your phone? I normally listen on headphones on a computer. Recently tried listening on a run but the archive app stops playing after every track and it is incredibly annoying. Suggestions?

On it. Hey, you listen to these shows on your runs? Are you using the archive app? Running directly from whatever internet explorer on your phone? I normally listen on headphones on a computer. Recently tried listening on a run but the archive app stops playing after every track and it is incredibly annoying. Suggestions?
Yes, most of my listen is while running (or some at work while doing procedures.)
I use the Relisten app, which @thegenius told me about. It plays the archive files but allows you to download them ahead of time and they seem to play pretty well if you do that. You can also stream them from the app, but I’ve found it works better if you download ahead of time. Try downloading it. It’s free and the best way to navigate what’s on Archive from what I’ve seen. You can use it on a computer too, but seems to be most user friendly on my iPhone. It has other bands, too. Let me know what you think.

Yes, most of my listen is while running (or some at work while doing procedures.)
I use the Relisten app, which @thegenius told me about. It plays the archive files but allows you to download them ahead of time and they seem to play pretty well if you do that. You can also stream them from the app, but I’ve found it works better if you download ahead of time. Try downloading it. It’s free and the best way to navigate what’s on Archive from what I’ve seen. You can use it on a computer too, but seems to be most user friendly on my iPhone. It has other bands, too. Let me know what you think.
Thank you (and you @thegenius). Man, have I been missing out. The Archive app is really unwieldy compared to this. I love that it separates the shows on a given date according to the source! I have today's show downloaded and am looking forward to tomorrow's. Thanks again!

Yea Relisten is the way to go. It’s a mirror of archive.org. I talked to one of the programmers once who wrote the site...every night they do a full search and archive of the website (all bands) and store it, with the links to the media, on their servers. So if someone uploads a new version of a show onto archive, it should appear on Relisten shortly thereafter.

I use relisten almost exclusively now. Sometimes there isn’t seamless transition between tracks, but it’s usually very quick like a second and that’s OK for most things.

I’ll use it when I work out, which is extremely infrequently these days, and also connect it in my car while driving. Relisten is a Apple CarPlay app which is neat.

Thank you (and you @thegenius). Man, have I been missing out. The Archive app is really unwieldy compared to this. I love that it separates the shows on a given date according to the source! I have today's show downloaded and am looking forward to tomorrow's. Thanks again!
Yeah. It is frickin’ awesome. @thegenius get the credit. He found it.

I’m just passing on the love guys. A deadhead I work with passed on the glorious app called Relisten to me!

I’m just passing on the love guys. A deadhead I work with passed on the glorious app called Relisten to me!
There’s like 1500 Phish shows on here too!

Yup! I tried listening to them once. I found their music to be either 1) kind of childish or 2) trance-inducing. Someone said that phish is for white frat college kids who smoke weed

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
1593386580059.gif

we are loved here and we do talk once in a while about medical stuff!

Here is a medical question for all ER newbies (fresh PGY-1).

Question: It is 1992. You hear over the radio code 3 that a famous musician is coming into your ED who appears critically ill. EMS rolls through the ambulance bay with a man who looks just like Jerry Garcia. He is minimally responsive. What test would you perform FIRST?

A. Check his hands to make sure it is really him (bonus points if you know what that means)
B. Get HR
C. Talk to Bob Weir who is accompanying him for collateral information. Like why he chose a certain bar sequence for Looks Like Rain
D. Diagnostic peritoneal lavage
E. Fingerstick Blood Sugar
F. Take a selfie to really prove you met Jerry Garcia in your life
G. Talk to Phil Lesh, who is accompanying him, and ask "seriously you guys went with Welnick? Umm....."

Question: It is 1992. You hear over the radio code 3 that a famous musician is coming into your ED who appears critically ill. EMS rolls through the ambulance bay with a man who looks just like Jerry Garcia. He is minimally responsive. What test would you perform FIRST?

A. Check his hands to make sure it is really him (bonus points if you know what that means)
B. Get HR
C. Talk to Bob Weir who is accompanying him for collateral information. Like why he chose a certain bar sequence for Looks Like Rain
G. Talk to Phil Lesh, who is accompanying him, and ask "seriously you guys went with Welnick? Umm....."
Where’s the “All of the above,” answer choice?
(A - had the t-shirt with the handprint in my youth.)

B. Get HR
Psssh. To paraphrase me, from way, way, WAY back in this thread: Intern #1: Is he dead? Intern #2: How can you tell? This is how he always looks!

(And, you met him in YOUR life - certainly not HIS!)

• Haha

B. Get HR
"Jerry Garcia? Is that that guy on Tick-Tok?" says fresh PGY-1 newbie.

'Some folks would be happy just to have one dream come true
But everything you gather is just more that you can lose
Come again, walking along in the
Mission in the rain." -6/29/76

I never paid much attention to this dong. But it's utterly haunting trying to figure out what the lyrics to this song mean. A new fave of mine. Here's an alternate, almost peppy JGB version with VIDEO (3/17/78) where Jerry and Kahn shred at the end.

Last edited:
'Some folks would be happy just to have one dream come true
But everything you gather is just more that you can lose
Come again, walking along in the
Mission in the rain." -6/29/76
There’s also a really good Wheel from this show, with a cool transition into PITB.

Not that bad for post-1977. The mixing is kind of strange - both Bobby and Brent are somewhat high in the mix, at least during the first couple of tracks - but not unpleasant. I know I've said something similar before, but I feel it bears repeating. This applies to both Bobby and Brent: I love how both of them play, but the sound they've chosen for their instruments during this period is borderline infuriating at time (apart from Brent's organ). They both sound so tinny. I feel as though Brent is actually a superior musician when compared to Keith, but it sounds like he's playing a Glockenspiel half the time (listen to his solo a little more than halfway through Franklin's tower). In contrast, when he plays the grand piano during acoustic shows he sounds phenomenal. His harmony vocals are on point, 99% of the time; never even a hair out of key. Likewise, 1979 Bob Weir is a superior musician compared to early 1970s Bob Weir, but turn down that high end!

Edit: Jerry's playing and singing are solid, thus far. Fingers are sounding nimble and he seems to be rejuvenated with the arrival of Brent.

Last edited:

Not that bad for post-1977. The mixing is kind of strange - both Bobby and Brent are somewhat high in the mix, at least during the first couple of tracks - but not unpleasant. I know I've said something similar before, but I feel it bears repeating. This applies to both Bobby and Brent: I love how both of them play, but the sound they've chosen for their instruments during this period is borderline infuriating at time (apart from Brent's organ). They both sound so tinny. I feel as though Brent is actually a superior musician when compared to Keith, but it sounds like he's playing a Glockenspiel half the time (listen to his solo a little more than halfway through Franklin's tower). When he plays the grand piano during acoustic shows he sounds phenomenal. His harmony vocals are on point, too; never even a hair out of key. Likewise, 1979 Bob Weir is a superior musician compared to early 1970s Bob Weir, but turn down that high end!

Edit: Jerry's playing and singing are solid, thus far. Fingers are sounding nimble and he seems to be rejuvenated with the arrival of Brent.
Yes. I was listening to this one earlier today. I kinda like this show, too. It's not desert island material, but it's nice. As far as Brent's electric piano during this period or whatever it is, I wonder if it's just the recordings or if it really sounded this way live. I kind of wonder if the sound meshed better in the venues but comes through too hot on the soundboard. I'm not sure. I agree though, it seems so frickin' out of place and way too high in the mix, on some of these shows. But not having ever seen the Dead live I can't verify that way, one way or the other.

As far as Keith vs Brent, I'd say they were both awesome in their own way. Keith's piano playing during '72-'74 was unreal, just dancing all over the place and at the perfect level. Jerry described him as an "autistic savant" on the piano. Kreutzmann said he was the best keyboardist he ever played with. By the same right, Brent's organ playing, was pure fire; just down, dirty, greasy and fury. I think Kreutzmann, said he was the best organ player he ever played with. Pigpen was great on organ & vocals; Hornsby, another piano savant. Vince could bang out some awesome vocals on Who covers. They were all awesome in their own way, in my opinion. But Grateful Dead keyboardists are like your favorite dogs; awesome in every way except for a very short life span. Enjoy them while they last.

Yes. I was listening to this one earlier today. I kinda like this show, too. It's not desert island material, but it's nice. As far as Brent's electric piano during this period or whatever it is, I wonder if it's just the recordings or if it really sounded this way live. I kind of wonder if the sound meshed better in the venues but comes through too hot on the soundboard. I'm not sure. I agree though, it seems so frickin' out of place and way too high in the mix, on some of these shows. But not having ever seen the Dead live I can't verify that way, one way or the other.

As far as Keith vs Brent, I'd say they were both awesome in their own way. Keith's piano playing during '72-'74 was unreal, just dancing all over the place and at the perfect level. Jerry described him as an "autistic savant" on the piano. Kreutzmann said he was the best keyboardist he ever played with. By the same right, Brent's organ playing, was pure fire; just down, dirty, greasy and fury. I think Kreutzmann, said he was the best organ player he ever played with. Pigpen was great on organ & vocals; Hornsby, another piano savant. Vince could bang out some awesome vocals on Who covers. They were all awesome in their own way, in my opinion. But Grateful Dead keyboardists are like your favorite dogs; awesome in every way except for a very short life span. Enjoy them while they last.

I hear this. I was just coming back to add that I am really enjoying this show. They're playing particularly tightly tonight. And I do agree with that assessment of Keith during the '72-'74 years. There was just something about the way he meshed with the band. A friend of mine once described Jerry as a country bumpkin musical genius - something about the beauty of his musical ideas mixed into a barroom band. I would include Keith in that type of description. At times there was a grandeur to his piano playing that almost seemed like it belonged to some other time or place. I think Brent could move his fingers a bit more quickly and was more apt to throw in some blue notes (which I enjoy), and you're dead on regarding his organ playing (that Passenger!). Definitely right about the short lifespan too, sadly.

I hear this. I was just coming back to add that I am really enjoying this show. They're playing particularly tightly tonight. And I do agree with that assessment of Keith during the '72-'74 years. There was just something about the way he meshed with the band. A friend of mine once described Jerry as a country bumpkin musical genius - something about the beauty of his musical ideas mixed into a barroom band. I would include Keith in that type of description. At times there was a grandeur to his piano playing that almost seemed like it belonged to some other time or place. I think Brent could move his fingers a bit more quickly and was more apt to throw in some blue notes (which I enjoy), and you're dead on regarding his organ playing (that Passenger!). Definitely right about the short lifespan too, sadly.
Omg, yes. I hardly ever have much of a reaction to Passenger, in either direction, but it was playing on the way to work and I almost came on here and posted that it was the one track from this show worth checking out. I'm not sure why it stood out, but I like this version a lot.

Omg, yes. I hardly ever have much of a reaction to Passenger, in either direction, but it was playing on the way to work and I almost came on here and posted that it was the one track from this show worth checking out. I'm not sure why it stood out, but I like this version a lot.
I'm currently halfway through Sugaree, and I am increasingly experiencing a change of heart or perspective on this one. I think you're right: maybe it's not a desert island show, but this is pretty darn solid. I like hearing the banter between tracks, too.

Last edited:
I'm currently halfway through Sugaree, and I am increasingly experiencing a change of heart or perspective on this one. I think you're right: maybe it's not a desert island show, but this is pretty darn solid. I like hearing the banter between tracks, too.
Yeah. I was surprised when I went to headyversion.com and saw that it doesn't get more love. I may go on there and vote it up a little bit, later. I see why GratefulDeadoftheDay.com picked it, though.

Yeah. I was surprised when I went to headyversion.com and saw that it doesn't get more love. I may go on there and vote it up a little bit, later. I see why GratefulDeadoftheDay.com picked it, though.
Okay, I think this might crack my top ten. Super tight playing. Don’t know if I heard a wrong note or a flubbed riff. Jerry was inspired. Great show.

On this Jack Straw, Phil’s bass is turned up loud enough to choke a buffalo.

Oxford Plains Speedway, 1988-07-02

So today at work, I asked myself "what show to play"

Then I thought about Birdstrike's recent decision to find a show in the past, from today's date.

and so I looked up 07-02 and there were about 10 shows, and low and behold I chose the one above! What is the coincidence?

I didn't listen to it in it's entirety because I was in and out of the room seeing patients. And I skipped over "Blow Away"
But it's worthy of a second listen.

what a coincidence.

So today at work, I asked myself "what show to play"

Then I thought about Birdstrike's recent decision to find a show in the past, from today's date.

and so I looked up 07-02 and there were about 10 shows, and low and behold I chose the one above! What is the coincidence?

I didn't listen to it in it's entirety because I was in and out of the room seeing patients. And I skipped over "Blow Away"
But it's worthy of a second listen.

what a coincidence.
Great heads think alike. Lol

I really like this Scarlet>Touch>Fire from 7/3/84 KC. The combo is rare, plus I like Jerry's soloing in Scarlet and the transition from Scarlet to TOG is cool. The FOTM is a little loosey goosey, but Jerry's axe smolders throughout. They sound road weary, but full of enough piss & vinegar to give the crowd a good time. I also like the Brother Essau from this show. (I know, I'm weird). I think I'm gonna give the whole show a listen. I like this one.

Aud tape: Outstanding audience tape. Superior to this shows soundboards IMHO; fuller rhythm section, band still clear, crowd noise manageable.
MIller soundboard: Clearer, less crowd noise, but bass & drums seem turned down way lower than the crowd heard.

I really like this Scarlet>Touch>Fire from 7/3/84 KC. The combo is rare, plus I like Jerry's soloing in Scarlet and the transition from Scarlet to TOG is cool. The FOTM is a little loosey goosey, but Jerry's axe smolders throughout. They sound road weary, but full of enough piss & vinegar to give the crowd a good time. I also like the Brother Essau from this show. (I know, I'm weird). I think I'm gonna give the whole show a listen. I like this one.

Aud tape: Outstanding audience tape. Superior to this shows soundboards IMHO; fuller rhythm section, band still clear, crowd noise manageable.
MIller soundboard: Clearer, less crowd noise, but bass & drums seem turned down way lower than the crowd heard.
Pretty damn good solo/jam at the end of Cassidy, too.

A lot of times I skip through Space, especially if I'm listening to the Dead while running (need a steady beat). But I stuck through this one and it's cool. It also melts nicely into The Wheel.

Tracks 17 & 18: Space>The Wheel, 7/3/84 KC

I listened to this one too, but i was in and out of the room so much I couldn’t really make out what happened today. Got reamed in the ED today.

Epp....I beat you to it.

Listening to 7/4/90 at work today. Pretty standard show for this time, although i'm only first set.

The meat and potate'as, the smoked brisket, the shoulder butt, the ribs, the entire damn cow or pig, is in the second set.

Epp....I beat you to it.

Listening to 7/4/90 at work today. Pretty standard show for this time, although i'm only first set.

The meat and potate'as, the smoked brisket, the shoulder butt, the ribs, the entire damn cow or pig, is in the second set.

Just a Little Light (second set) is a stupid song.

Well overall kind of a boring, average show. I switched to 7/4/81. A little more peppy. In Texas and opened with Jack Straw.

So 7/4/81 has a Bird Song, but probably not a good one. I wanted to listen to a GREAT one. So I briefly left 7/4/81 and went to 6/22/73 and THAT is a Bird Song. Just magnificent. You can just imagine yourself as a soaring eagle gracefully flying over the redwood treetops and sloping hills on a bright and sunny day in California.

It is extremely slow day today at work.

So 7/4/81 has a Bird Song, but probably not a good one. I wanted to listen to a GREAT one. So I briefly left 7/4/81 and went to 6/22/73 and THAT is a Bird Song. Just magnificent. You can just imagine yourself as a soaring eagle gracefully flying over the redwood treetops and sloping hills on a bright and sunny day in California.

It is extremely slow day today at work.
Deal from 7/4/89 is fire

VIDEO (starts 57:41)

Am I the only person in the world who thinks "I'd like to get some sleep before I travel / But I guess if you've got a warrant / you're gonna come in" to be a genuinely funny lyric? I grew up listening to the Dead and was always surprised that no one else seemed to find it humorous.

Am I the only person in the world who thinks "I'd like to get some sleep before I travel / But I guess if you've got a warrant / you're gonna come in" to be a genuinely funny lyric? I grew up listening to the Dead and was always surprised that no one else seemed to find it humorous.
:lol: I love that line. It is ironically hilarious.

• Love
So many roads to ease my soul...“ - Jerry Garcia, 7/9/95. The last one ever.

R.I.P. man, we miss you.

• Sad
Enjoying life listening to 7/10/1990 at Carter-Finley Stadium. I like this show a lot. Hornsby gives the show a New Orleans feel sitting in on the accordion (how do you make that instrument sound good, I don't know, but he does it!) and Brent is just inspired with pure, light-speed piano fills throughout. Jerry's guitar and vocals are on point, Phil's bass is clear and thumpin' and the whole band sounds very on. Nice, under-rated summer show with the band sounding light, tight and like they're having fun.

Will be shown live tonight:

Just listen to 6/22/73 Bird Song and all will be good. **** this coronavirus I don't like it any more than you.
This version is like pure psychedelic and calm at the same time.