Former Army National Guard and Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angryfruitbat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am currently serving in the Texas Army National Guard and will be administratively separated soon (within a month or so). I was transferred to a medical command unit after an injury from which I am being discharged honorably. I never deployed, so I won't be considered a veteran. How might this affect my med school application? TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am currently serving in the Texas Army National Guard and will be administratively separated soon (within a month or so). I was transferred to a medical command unit after an injury from which I am being discharged honorably. I never deployed, so I won't be considered a veteran. How might this affect my med school application? TIA
The application will ask about former military status, not veteran status. You can select “Other” and describe as “Served 6 years in TX national guard, did not deploy. Separated xxx/XX/xxxx”

You can also describe it in your work/Activities section. Regardless of deployment or not, ADCOMS will still look very favorably on military status. You can highlight commitment to service, leadership experience and maturity, plus hardship through difficult conditions (I’m looking at you, Sill in January).

Reactions: 1 user
The application will ask about former military status, not veteran status. You can select “Other” and describe as “Served 6 years in TX national guard, did not deploy. Separated xxx/XX/xxxx”

You can also describe it in your work/Activities section. Regardless of deployment or not, ADCOMS will still look very favorably on military status. You can highlight commitment to service, leadership experience and maturity, plus hardship through difficult conditions (I’m looking at you, Sill in January).
Agree. Your military experience will open doors for you.

Just because you didn’t deploy doesn’t mean you didn’t learn about leadership, teamwork, and commitment and sacrifice. Just be honest about your experiences and don’t exaggerate. Being in the NG is a positive, so don’t feel like you need to church it up. This will only help you.