Freaking out, 1 day left for decision

Started by jamesq
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesq

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought I might be able to make a decision easily about which school to go to, but with 1 day left I realize I like both schools about the same. I have been accepted to University of Cincinnati and University of Miami and Waitlisted at Wake Forest. Many are telling me to go to cincinnati because it is ranked higher, but Im not looking too much into rankings. What are many of you basing your decisions on?
 
I thought I might be able to make a decision easily about which school to go to, but with 1 day left I realize I like both schools about the same. I have been accepted to University of Cincinnati and University of Miami and Waitlisted at Wake Forest. Many are telling me to go to cincinnati because it is ranked higher, but Im not looking too much into rankings. What are many of you basing your decisions on?

I'm assuming you didn't get any significant amount of money from one over the others? Miami is a fun city, there are tons of things to do and you'll never be bored (though you probably won't have much time). I'd choose University of Cincinnati though, I'm a bit sick of Florida.
 
School is school, i'd pick by the location i'd enjoy the most outside of the classroom.

Being right there in Miami with the nice beaches and living so close to Key West has to be more fun than living in Cincinnati. But who knows, I've never been to Cincinnati, maybe it's awesome.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just close your eyes and say the following:

I am a medical student at the University of (X). Whichever one makes you smile more or gives you a better feeling you go with that one. Do it.
 
I thought I might be able to make a decision easily about which school to go to, but with 1 day left I realize I like both schools about the same. I have been accepted to University of Cincinnati and University of Miami and Waitlisted at Wake Forest. Many are telling me to go to cincinnati because it is ranked higher, but Im not looking too much into rankings. What are many of you basing your decisions on?

If it's really equal; flip a coin.

Think back to your interviews and how you felt looking around those places. Sleep on it, and if you feel the same way tomorrow, you can make your decision and sit back. If not, find yourself a shiny quarter.

Just think about how much better your situation is than they guy with no acceptances. There's no way you can go wrong, congrats!
 
I thought I might be able to make a decision easily about which school to go to, but with 1 day left I realize I like both schools about the same. I have been accepted to University of Cincinnati and University of Miami and Waitlisted at Wake Forest. Many are telling me to go to cincinnati because it is ranked higher, but Im not looking too much into rankings. What are many of you basing your decisions on?

go to miami kid,

living in sunny south beach > coldass ohio
 
I'm not too sure, but can't you apply to become a Ohio resident after your first year there....Figure if you are OOS, that might save you a ton of money (assuming your not a florida/ohio resident in this case)
 
Just close your eyes and say the following:

I am a medical student at the University of (X). Whichever one makes you smile more or gives you a better feeling you go with that one. Do it.

I think this is a good method. Basically go with your gut and choose the one you had the better impression of.
 
I'm not too sure, but can't you apply to become a Ohio resident after your first year there....Figure if you are OOS, that might save you a ton of money (assuming your not a florida/ohio resident in this case)

You can, but the cost is still right around 230K for the four years at Cincinnati...Maybe U Miami is cheaper?
 
Thanks to all those who replied, I really appreciate it! It is true that I can get instate tutition after one year from cincinnati, but I got an overall better impression of miami. There seemed to be less diversity in cincinnati and although the med school building was great, im not sure I liked the school as much as miami. The only thing that sucks about miami is that they did not have a revisit day, wheras cinci did. The gut feeling right now is telling me to go to miami.
 
living in sunny south beach > coldass ohio

Cincy is in southern Ohio, so it's not as cold or snowy as the northern part of the state (like Cleveland, where I am).

Obviously, Miami is much warmer, but weather isn't everything. My brother works in Miami and HATES it there -- terrible traffic, rude people, and lots of violent crime.

I guess I'm tired of people from other parts of the country saying they won't go to school in Ohio because of the weather. I'm sure many of the same people would jump at the chance to go to Harvard, Yale, University of Michigan, or University of Chicago, none of which is exactly located in the tropics. Yes, it snows a lot in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Michigan, and Illinois too.

Sorry about the mini rant...
 
I'm in the same position as you, and am having a hard time deciding which school to go to. I called the schools I am considering, and both said that I wouldn't be dropped automatically from the program or anything if I didn't decide by May 15. I would only have a few extra days though to decide. I would lose the $100 deposit, but that would be worth it if you really feel like you need the extra time. So, if you're still unsure, maybe call both schools and see what you will do if you are on multiple acceptance lists after May 15.
 
I know you probably already made a decision, but incase you haven't

University of Miami. While the University of Cincinnati is a good school it does not have the medical community in the city to build connections when getting into a residency program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Status
Not open for further replies.