Funniest Chief Complaints

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They certainly can be; I've never actually had a problem with one, and I've been bitten by many cats in my day. I generally keep Neosporin and a Band-Aid on them, and they're fine. :rolleyes:

I know a vet who got bitten really badly and had to go on IV antibiotics! :eek:

I've only been lightly nipped "playfully" by cats. I guess you've got to get them pretty riled up for them to break skin.

Members don't see this ad.

I've only been lightly nipped "playfully" by cats. I guess you've got to get them pretty riled up for them to break skin.

Depends on the cat. Some kitties play too rough without realizing it.

They certainly can be; I've never actually had a problem with one, and I've been bitten by many cats in my day. I generally keep Neosporin and a Band-Aid on them, and they're fine. :rolleyes:

I know a vet who got bitten really badly and had to go on IV antibiotics! :eek:

Yes, from Pasteurella Multocida. Never take a cat bite lightly, assume the worst especially in chronic medical patients or immunocompromised.

You'll throw that neosporin away when you see someone with a severe neosporin reaction. Got to be the worst thing out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, from Pasteurella Multocida. Never take a cat bite lightly, assume the worst especially in chronic medical patients or immunocompromised.

I'm not immunocompromised or anything like that (thank God!), so I guess I have a bit of an advantage. ;)

You'll throw that neosporin away when you see someone with a severe neosporin reaction. Got to be the worst thing out there.

Seriously? I've never heard of that before, and I put Neosporin on any kind of little cut I get; I've even used it on the cats for minor wounds! :eek:

What do you suggest we get instead?

CC: "I can hear my hair growing and it sounds different. I got bit by a dog that turned into a man and back into a dog."

Attending: "Here's a good one for the med student :laugh:"

That was fun

I'm not immunocompromised or anything like that (thank God!), so I guess I have a bit of an advantage. ;)

Seriously? I've never heard of that before, and I put Neosporin on any kind of little cut I get; I've even used it on the cats for minor wounds! :eek:

Cats have a nice mix of anaerobes in their mouths; you don't need to be immunocompromised to get a nasty infection as a result. Saw a gentleman not too long ago have to get the joint space in his wrist debrided due to a cat bite; couldn't even tell where the cat bit him.

Cats have a nice mix of anaerobes in their mouths; you don't need to be immunocompromised to get a nasty infection as a result. Saw a gentleman not too long ago have to get the joint space in his wrist debrided due to a cat bite; couldn't even tell where the cat bit him.

Goodness gracious! :eek:

"Penis looks smaller."

His fiancée was also helpful in agreeing that it looked "shriveled".

To cap it all off, this was in the ED at 6am. It was a Herculean effort to keep a straight face after a long night shift.

Yes, I am totally serious. Can't stand neosporin. Use Bactroban for MRSA coverage. Go ahead and keep using it on your cats. That's where it belongs.

You don't have to be immunocompromised to get a nasty infection from a cat bite. They are the worst. I had a patient who had mutliple debridements on her hand on an vancocin for months from the lingering infection.

Last edited:
Got called to the ER today for a new mom's concern on a 3 month old male with "fever".

Temp was 99.0
Mom was worried the baby slept through the night:confused:
Was convinced the baby had a UTI because the foreskin was too tight
Medicaid doesn't pay for circumcision anymore

Tried to to retract the foreskin and the mom burst into tears because the head of the penis was bright red - she got hysterical because of the "bleeding". The baby wasn't making any kind of fuss.

Sigh, some days I just don't get paid enough.:rolleyes:

Yes, I am totally serious. Can't stand neosporin. Use Bactroban for MRSA coverage.

I'm going to write that down. We're going to Target tomorrow, and I'm going to get some. Is that the same as Bacitracin? I suppose the pharmacist will know..

Go ahead and keep using it on your cats. That's where it belongs.

Cats don't get the bad Neosporin reactions? Maybe I'll use the Bactroban on them too... I wouldn't want to take a chance! :eek:

You don't have to be immunocompromised to get a nasty infection from a cat bite. They are the worst. I had a patient who had mutliple debridements on her hand on an vancocin for months from the lingering infection.

Wow. I've had cats for over thirty years, and I've never had a single problem. Guess I've been really lucky! :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'm going to write that down. We're going to Target tomorrow, and I'm going to get some. Is that the same as Bacitracin? I suppose the pharmacist will know..

You'll need a prescription for it and it's not the same as bacitracin. For most wounds, especially small scrapes/cuts, all you need to do is keep it clean and wash with soap and water. No antibiotic ointment necessary!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I've met pet rats. They're quite sweet, and very smart! :D

Introduced mine to my roommates' 16 month old son for the first time today. He, the baby, kept poking her. Cutest thing ever. :)

Introduced mine to my roommates' 16 month old son for the first time today. He, the baby, kept poking her. Cutest thing ever. :)

D'awwww!

I saw an Animal Planet show years ago about odd animal friends. There was a cat who had been raised with a rat since they were both babies. Not only has she never tried to harm the rat, but when she was introduced to a "strange" rat (one she didn't know), she tried to make friends with it. And when she had kittens, the rat she was raised with was her trusted nursemaid. They speculated that her kittens would also lack the drive to hunt/hurt rats.

Who says instinct can't be overcome? Nature vs. Nurture... sometimes nurture wins.

D'awwww!

I saw an Animal Planet show years ago about odd animal friends. There was a cat who had been raised with a rat since they were both babies. Not only has she never tried to harm the rat, but when she was introduced to a "strange" rat (one she didn't know), she tried to make friends with it. And when she had kittens, the rat she was raised with was her trusted nursemaid. They speculated that her kittens would also lack the drive to hunt/hurt rats.

Who says instinct can't be overcome? Nature vs. Nurture... sometimes nurture wins.

I love stories like that! I've seen one about a snake and a hamster living together in the same cage until the hamster died of natural causes.

Amazing stuff.

I love stories like that!

OMG me too! :D

I've seen one about a snake and a hamster living together in the same cage until the hamster died of natural causes.

That's so awesome I can't even!

Amazing stuff.

The kitty in my icon (Ginny) made friends with my stepgranddaughter's pet rabbit (Gabriel). When they first met, Ginny was terrified of him! I almost felt like I needed to sit her down and explain predator/prey dynamics to her, LOL.

Last edited:
OMG me too! :D

That's so awesome I can't even!

The kitty in my icon (Ginny) made friends with my stepgranddaughter's pet rabbit (Gabriel). When they first met, Ginny was terrified of him! I almost felt like I needed to sit her down and explain predator/prey dynamics to her, LOL.

LOL!

My mother's chihuahua mutt always got freaked out by my rats. It was hilarious watching them chase after the dog around the house. :D

Our dog always has a fit around any small animal. She's a cocker spaniel, so she's got the instinct to chase 'em, but then when she gets up close to them if they move even a bit she jumps back and starts barking in horror.

Back on topic:

CC: transfer from nursing home for AMS

Turns out the guy was just pretending to be asleep, and freely admitted his scheme to me. Couldn't help but laugh.

Our dog always has a fit around any small animal. She's a cocker spaniel, so she's got the instinct to chase 'em, but then when she gets up close to them if they move even a bit she jumps back and starts barking in horror.

LOL'ing so hard at the mental picture I'm getting! :laugh:

Chihuahuas don't really have practical uses as a service animal.

Daschunds make great ratters, though. Best I've seen.

I've heard that about weinerdogs. I think that's what they were bred for originally.

I've heard that about weinerdogs. I think that's what they were bred for originally.

Daschund is literally German for badger dog. They were bred as hunting dogs. Their tubular shape made them ideal for chasing after badgers through their burrows so that the hunter could kill the badger as it was being run out of its hiding place.

Great breed of dog, but they are prone to extremely painful spine conditions.

Daschund is literally German for badger dog. They were bred as hunting dogs. Their tubular shape made them ideal for chasing after badgers through their burrows so that the hunter could kill the badger as it was being run out of its hiding place.

Great breed of dog, but they are prone to extremely painful spine conditions.

Yeah, I've heard that. Just another example of how breeding for certain traits can end up really messing up the animal. :(

So, yeah, back to the original topic again:

CC: "Wrist pain."

On examination, found to have a nail jutting out about 1" from his anatomic snuff box. When asked how it happened, he simply replied "because I'm a dumba**."

Luckily, the nail missed all important structures in his wrist.

Jesus, enough with the goddamn cats. PM each other and get all excited about cats.

And while we're at it, that purple text is awfully annoying.

CC: cats piss me off.

Calm down, bro!

I love it when women talk about their cats. It's cute how excited they get. :)

Male patient in his mid-40s: CC: "I bleed from my butt every month, like a woman"

(dude was actually inpatient, this came up a few days in...actual, unrelated diagnosis elucidated when he ended up having a cortisol of 0...)

Any guy > 18 who shows up to the ER with their mom is a guaranteed disaster !!! :)
Not necessarily.

I injured my hands once.... well I got boiling lard on my hands. I was staying at my mom's home visiting for the weekend. I was baking a pork dish. I slipped when I was taking the dish out.... the hot pork juice soaked through the mitts.
I couldn't hold the steering wheel so my mom drove me to the hospital.
I was 28y/o at the time and a senior at my med school.

"i have a rash they call asthma"

"my son had esp last year, but he's still having ear pain"

"I got another itch-fection down there and want to cure it before it spread to my breasts and arm pits like last time."

Totally gonna use "itchfection" from now on.

Clinic patient...50 yo male dialysis pt with uni AKA and multiple diabetic complications....

CC: "Hospitalized 3 days ago. Here for follow up"

Me: "So, tell me about your hospital stay..."
Pt: "I don't know..." *cues tupac shakur on his walkman...yes, he had a walkman*
Me: "Can you turn that off? Thanks. What happened that you had to go to the hospital?"
Pt: .........*long awkward silence*......."I don't know man....."......*about to hit resume on his walkman*
Me: "No no, turn down the music. Can you tell me anything about your hospital stay? Were you feeling dizzy, chest pain, short of breath..?"
Pt: "Man, I'm done with this n-word. I don't need this s---. I'm leaving."

Maybe he should have brought Biggie's mix tape instead with him...?

CC: Girlfriend made me come in.

50-something guy, T1DM, apparently had foreign body removal and I&D from right thumb 6 weeks ago. Unwrap his bandaged hand, and the stitches are still there, it's black, and it smells. He spends about 5 minutes arguing with me that it's not black, and smells fine. When asked why he never went to his f/u appointment (at this same hospital), said it was because he didn't have a way to get here. I asked him how he got here today. He asked for a different doctor. =)

Here's a page an intern got once that always makes me chuckle: "Mrs. X is rubbing applesauce on her chest. Please advise."

Dear Mr intern please give her heated apple sauce she'll stop it.......:D

This is obviously the greatest thread ever and needs bumped.

If his thumb is black and smells bad, chances are very high that his condition is beyond the limits of what simply debridement can do.

Or he just shouldn't put it "in there" any more.

CC: "I'm suicidal. I was going to drown myself in the river, but I can't swim."

(IM) Page to my attending: "Mr. ______ in room _____ has swallowed his hearing aids. Please advise."

(Psych) Asking pt in a secure residential treatment facility why he's here: "I'm a nut!"

Also, since this thread is apparently also about cats: my vet med friend was working in a clinic when someone brought in a cat with a purulent vaginal discharge. She changed the CC to 'p____ p_____ p_____'. (Yeah, just think about it for a second) Vet thought it was hilarious and left it in the chart. =P

also, since this thread is apparently also about cats: My vet med friend was working in a clinic when someone brought in a cat with a purulent vaginal discharge. She changed the cc to 'p____ p_____ p_____'. (yeah, just think about it for a second) vet thought it was hilarious and left it in the chart. =p

ftw! :hungover: