Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So we did a pelvic and her mucosa had grown thru the holes in the ball and we had to take her to the OR...
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So we did a pelvic and her mucosa had grown thru the holes in the ball and we had to take her to the OR...
cc: I'm tired and very lonely. Also my neighbor is dying of cancer and he looks really sick and puffy. That scared me so I came to the ER.
Pt with long standing cancer came is to the Er because she was lonely... Kinda sad actually. All labs normal, SW had a chat with her and she went home.
'Chief' of course, being somewhere between a resident and an attending, in my head... um, don't ask! Still trying to get my head around the American system! 🙄) - but something hilarious on the wards all the same:Bonus points: This was the same day as the G14P0,2,11,2 with a request for a 12th TOP, and just before the 48 BMI woman who we couldn't give mirena because she was too large to have her cervix visualized and then she threw a fit because she heard Depo "might make her fat"
How the **** does this whale managed to get porked?? Seriously, are some of us men really this desperate????
wthhhhhhhhhhhhhfrom last year...
Cc: 15 yo f with abd pain
you guys know the drill, we did thorough h&p, kicked mom out of the room, did a sexual history, everything was negative. Finally the resident was like um idk, then asked me if i had any qs, so i asked "do you have any idea why you might be having this pain?"
she was like "not really... Well..."
"go on..."
"um idk if this is related, but a couple months ago i stuck a wiffle ball in my vag."
(thinking, wtf???)
"a couple months ago? Well that prolly isnt it..."
"no you don't understand, it's still up there." 😱
So we did a pelvic and her mucosa had grown thru the holes in the ball and we had to take her to the or...
two different people... but the 48 BMI was G?P2 herself. I guess some people like their woman insanely big. Apparently last month (before I rotated here) one of the students looked at a similarly huge woman and said "her husband must be really thin to fit in there"

How the **** does this whale managed to get porked?? Seriously, are some of us men really this desperate????
Yep, I've seen people on full disability for an anxiety disorder..
As if there was any doubt in your head, the insides of their homes are exactly as you'd expect. 50" flat screen TV, xbox/ps3, computer with wireless internet, surround sound, a car that probably has $20k-$30k invested in it. I work fire/ems in one of these neighborhoods, it's absolutely maddening, and we see the same patients you see; asthma patient who can't afford her albuterol (but has a carton of cigs and a case of beer nearby), morbidly obese patients smoking while on oxygen c/o COPD exacerbation, diabetics who seemingly refuse to keep their blood sugar in order.... but I digress..
I too ask myself how long this system is sustainable. Every one of these patients that we stack into the ER (which will invariably go on diversion) is costing ME money <sigh>
In all fairness, there are lot of people on disability who actually do have a disability. And I promise you someone isn't going to get on disability on one doctor's note. You usually have to submit full copies of medical records including test results.In all fairness, there are LOTS of people who abuse disability and doctors often just sign off on it instead of dealing with the BS.
No, our job is to correctly diagnose and treat them. I frequently doubt them when they say what is troubling them, because if I took all of my patients at their word, I would end up doing a lot of unnecessary operations. This causes unnecessary complications, which results in lawsuits.It's your job to have understanding for these patients, not doubt them when they say something is troubling them. If you can't understand that then you shouldn't go into medicine.
No, our job is to correctly diagnose and treat them. I frequently doubt them when they say what is troubling them, because if I took all of my patients at their word, I would end up doing a lot of unnecessary operations. This causes unnecessary complications, which results in lawsuits.
I'll just let you grind your ax, since that seems to be the reason you joined this forum. Regardless, I will only be operating on patients that I think need an operation.
I'll just let you grind your ax, since that seems to be the reason you joined this forum. Regardless, I will only be operating on patients that I think need an operation.
Agreed, please can we get this thread back to a place for more lighthearted discussion/release it was created to be?
We had one the other day that was in the waiting room at the ER and the CC said, "Stroke".
We were like...that's not good...why are they still in the waiting room...sigh.
😱 Please do NOT take as disrespect, throwing the BS flag on that one.....That seriously is a lawsuit waiting to happen....
I am happy for you that you have only rotated at good hospitals, but this is entirely believable to me.
"I fell from a truck and broke my arm"
Now try to get a differential diagnosis for that.
CC: "Constipation, N/V x4 days. Rectal bleeding." (Nursing Home patient. its relevant)
Admitting to the floor Diagnosis: Fecal Impaction with profuse rectorrhagia (of unknown origin)
Actual Diagnosis once the guy was immediately brought up to surgery and given an abd x-ray: approximately 8 pencils, 6 butterfly needles, a few safety pins, an IV catheter with a few inches of IV tubing, and a bar of soap had lodged into his distal sigmoid (yes. distal sigmoid if I recall correctly. I remember being shocked how high up he jammed it) and it made a beaver dam.
He had apparently become obsessed with the idea of sharp things going into his ass and was *saving* them up for the perfect moment to put them all up there. The soap, I assume, was to help lubricate and then he just jammed it in too at the end. I still am so curious as to what the hell the nurses at the home thought happened when his IV and part of the tubing went missing.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.