Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the girls at my school has no idea what she is doing. I asked her when she was going to take physics, to which she replied "Dr.____ (some uninformed professor) said that I don't have to take physics" with a smirk on her face. When I told her that most all Med schools to my knowledge required them, she said "well, Dr. ____ said I didn't need to."

This same girl also told me that she was a pre-med major, yeah, my school doesn't offer that major. Then she looked at me weird when I told her that she was probably a bio major (come to find out she was.)

I think I remember her saying she wanted to go to Vanderbilt... she has made Cs in most major classes I have had with her.... yeah, I don't know about that one lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is this really tiny girl at my school...like 4 feet tall, <100 pounds tiny, but she is pure concentrated gunner. She asks SO many questions. Like even something that's ridiculously obvious or stuff that doesn't even matter, like the margin size for a typed lab report or something. When have you ever needed to change the default margin size???

Apparently she applied to like 10 schools, all ivies, before even finding out what her MCAT score was. When she did get her scores, they were extremely bad.
 
There is this really tiny girl at my school...like 4 feet tall, <100 pounds tiny, but she is pure concentrated gunner. She asks SO many questions. Like even something that's ridiculously obvious or stuff that doesn't even matter, like the margin size for a typed lab report or something. When have you ever needed to change the default margin size???

Apparently she applied to like 10 schools, all ivies, before even finding out what her MCAT score was. When she did get her scores, they were extremely bad.

I have needed to change the default margin size ever since Microsoft decided to make the side margins 1.25" each for a few versions of Word before changing it back to 1" more recently...
 
There is this really tiny girl at my school...like 4 feet tall, <100 pounds tiny, but she is pure concentrated gunner. She asks SO many questions. Like even something that's ridiculously obvious or stuff that doesn't even matter, like the margin size for a typed lab report or something. When have you ever needed to change the default margin size???

Apparently she applied to like 10 schools, all ivies, before even finding out what her MCAT score was. When she did get her scores, they were extremely bad.

There's always someone like this in almost every one of my classes (especially science classes).

I have needed to change the default margin size ever since Microsoft decided to make the side margins 1.25" each for a few versions of Word before changing it back to 1" more recently...

Seriously?
 
There's always someone like this in almost every one of my classes (especially science classes).



Seriously?
Well, not for every class, but there have been some where instructors specifically said "1 inch margins". Would it have been okay to ignore that and use the default? Maybe.
 
Well, not for every class, but there have been some where instructors specifically said "1 inch margins". Would it have been okay to ignore that and use the default? Maybe.

Wow, that kind of surprises me lol :laugh:

After high school, 2 years of undergrad, and an english lit minor, I don't think I even know how to change the margins in microsoft word :laugh:
 
Well, not for every class, but there have been some where instructors specifically said "1 inch margins". Would it have been okay to ignore that and use the default? Maybe.

I had to do this as well. If they specifically say 1 inch margins, then they usually notice and sometimes make a big deal about it. I forgot to change them once and my A paper was marked down to an A- . 🙁
 
Probably. But I'm positive I wasn't the only one who didn't lol at you're location.

You win

spirder-man-that-post-gave-me-cancer.jpg
 
Last edited:
There is this really tiny girl at my school...like 4 feet tall, <100 pounds tiny, but she is pure concentrated gunner. She asks SO many questions. Like even something that's ridiculously obvious or stuff that doesn't even matter, like the margin size for a typed lab report or something. When have you ever needed to change the default margin size???

Apparently she applied to like 10 schools, all ivies, before even finding out what her MCAT score was. When she did get her scores, they were extremely bad.

10 ivies huh, that is gunning it since she must have built them from scratch 😀
 
There's always someone like this in almost every one of my classes (especially science classes).



Seriously?

I had a girl like it in my biochem class. She would stop the professor every 5-10 minutes and ask him a meaningless question or for him to repeat what he just said. The thing is, she would stop him and ask him nicely, it would be all of the sudden and out of nowhere. All you would hear is "Stop. Say that again." One day the professor, after she said this, was like "M***, if you have a question, from now one, ask at the end of class, I'm not your God damned tutor." It was priceless.

If anyone knows what those clickers are, the ones you use to lock in an answer on a power point, for a class consensus to a question. A bunch of us would point them at her every time she stopped class and click like mad, trying to give her cancer. Geeky, but I'm hoping in ten years it pays off.
 
If anyone knows what those clickers are, the ones you use to lock in an answer on a power point, for a class consensus to a question. A bunch of us would point them at her every time she stopped class and click like mad, trying to give her cancer. Geeky, but I'm hoping in ten years it pays off.

How nice.
 
I had a girl like it in my biochem class. She would stop the professor every 5-10 minutes and ask him a meaningless question or for him to repeat what he just said. The thing is, she would stop him and ask him nicely, it would be all of the sudden and out of nowhere. All you would hear is "Stop. Say that again." One day the professor, after she said this, was like "M***, if you have a question, from now one, ask at the end of class, I'm not your God damned tutor." It was priceless.

If anyone knows what those clickers are, the ones you use to lock in an answer on a power point, for a class consensus to a question. A bunch of us would point them at her every time she stopped class and click like mad, trying to give her cancer. Geeky, but I'm hoping in ten years it pays off.

THIS.IS.CLASSIC!!!! I had one of these, too. Unfortunately, the professor was too nice and just enabled him. I finally just quit going to class b/c 90% of the lecture was wasted on answering questions that had obvious answers or were asked just to show he had been reading the book. Ridiculous....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a girl like it in my biochem class. She would stop the professor every 5-10 minutes and ask him a meaningless question or for him to repeat what he just said. The thing is, she would stop him and ask him nicely, it would be all of the sudden and out of nowhere. All you would hear is "Stop. Say that again." One day the professor, after she said this, was like "M***, if you have a question, from now one, ask at the end of class, I'm not your God damned tutor." It was priceless.

If anyone knows what those clickers are, the ones you use to lock in an answer on a power point, for a class consensus to a question. A bunch of us would point them at her every time she stopped class and click like mad, trying to give her cancer. Geeky, but I'm hoping in ten years it pays off.

:laugh::laugh:

If I were the professor, I would've probably said the same thing :laugh:
 
I had a girl like it in my biochem class. She would stop the professor every 5-10 minutes and ask him a meaningless question or for him to repeat what he just said. The thing is, she would stop him and ask him nicely, it would be all of the sudden and out of nowhere. All you would hear is "Stop. Say that again." One day the professor, after she said this, was like "M***, if you have a question, from now one, ask at the end of class, I'm not your God damned tutor." It was priceless.

If anyone knows what those clickers are, the ones you use to lock in an answer on a power point, for a class consensus to a question. A bunch of us would point them at her every time she stopped class and click like mad, trying to give her cancer. Geeky, but I'm hoping in ten years it pays off.

Should have just chucked the clickers at her.
 
Unbelievable.

I remember a girl in my high school sophomore English class saying she was, "Going into pediatrics." I few months later she had figured out that she didn't like blood, and decided she was, "Going into journalism."

I hope this is alright to post here... I have a very dear friend who is doing the prerequisites for nursing school. Scholastically, she's pin-point accurate and always makes A's; but she has a phobia of both needles and blood. I'm wondering what she will do to get over this "hump".

But, as to not threadjack, I once heard a pre-med student say (this is when I was in highschool and went to a local university to shadow students from engineering and pre-medas those were the two magnet programs we had). I overheard some guys talking. One of them said that he wasn't going to drink or party until he was accepted to a medical school because "all you need is the basics. If you have that then med school is easy street." I don't know if that is true in most cases, true in some cases, or true for only him (I use "only" very sparingly). But if asked, I would say anything that has a pre- associated with it (law, med, etc) is pretty difficult. While they may be more lenient with one's gpa post admittance, I'm sure the course material is more difficult.

Sorry I'm so prolix.
 
Im sorry if this has been posted before, but it so perfectly describes the transition from idealist premed to cynical applicant:
[YOUTUBE]dYlALIXS2UI[/YOUTUBE]

"I then go to a lab, where I measure how fast an enzyme makes a blue liquid turn pink. I then spend the next three hours redoing the ****ing experiment because nothing happened. When I go home, my roommate hasn't even woken up yet. I spend the rest of the day writing in a composition book about how the ****ing blue thing wouldn't turn pink. My roommate spends the rest of the day eating Oreo cookies and playing halo."

That's so spot on to my sophomore year it's scary :laugh:
 
This one may not be so funny, but anyway

A couple of pre-med students spark up conversation about medical school admissions

Me: "So, how are your EC going so far?"
S1: "Apparently, this semester I have no time for clubs."
Me: "I mean volunteering, summer research, etc. You do need some sort of involvement if you want to get into med school."
S1: "Psshh..you only need those to make up for a bad gpa. I'm all good."
Me: 😕😕😕

I only wish I could say she was gunning.
 
"IN 4 YRS YOU ARE ALL GOING TO HAVE TO CALL ME DOCTOR!!!!" - The Facebook status of my girlfriend's idiotic old roommate with a stellar 2.4 GPA after she got accepted to chiropractic school.
 
hahaha
This is officially my first post but since I don't go to a school with many serious premeds I have to share this story with people who will understand! During sophomore year another pre med student and I were with our bio professor (during office hours) and got on the topic of the MCAT. He said he was taking it sophomore year because the younger you take it the more points you get ADDED to your total score. He claimed that at his age he would get an extra 5 points because its harder and that he just needed to break a 35 which would be easy. I attempted to argue with him (even doing an internet search because I had my computer handy) but he wasn't having it. Needless to say my professor just shook his head. Hahaha
 
Not a premed specifically, but I walked past a tour group on campus and heard the guide saying to someone's mom "No, we don't have a pre-med major." I felt bad for the mom because there's a real good chance her kid won't even be a pre-med by his/her second semester....
 
Word to the wise. A lot of the above posts make me see why a lot of people see doctors as elitist douchebags. Starting early, apparently. 😛

That said...and let me say I'm a nontrad at 25.

Girl (premed): What are you majoring in when you go back?
Me: Bichemistry.
Girl: That's for losers! You should get a BS AND a BA.
Me: [Insert name here], have you even taken the MCAT yet? You're a senior now, aren't you?
Girl: Yeah, but I partied too hard and missed my test. It's ok. I'll just retake it next year. I can apply right after anyway.

*facepalm*
 
There is this really tiny girl at my school...like 4 feet tall, <100 pounds tiny, but she is pure concentrated gunner. She asks SO many questions. Like even something that's ridiculously obvious or stuff that doesn't even matter, like the margin size for a typed lab report or something. When have you ever needed to change the default margin size???

Apparently she applied to like 10 schools, all ivies, before even finding out what her MCAT score was. When she did get her scores, they were extremely bad.

ugh I know a pre-med who asks questions even when they're obvious. I really don't get the point.

Not a premed specifically, but I walked past a tour group on campus and heard the guide saying to someone's mom "No, we don't have a pre-med major." I felt bad for the mom because there's a real good chance her kid won't even be a pre-med by his/her second semester....

I actually shadowed a third-year resident yesterday, and he asked if my school had a pre-med major. I was like, you've gotten this far and still don't know that premed majors pretty much don't exist?
 
ugh I know a pre-med who asks questions even when they're obvious. I really don't get the point.



I actually shadowed a third-year resident yesterday, and he asked if my school had a pre-med major. I was like, you've gotten this far and still don't know that premed majors pretty much don't exist?

I think its safe to assume that when people say "premed major" they mean biology, biochem, chem. etc
 
I actually shadowed a third-year resident yesterday, and he asked if my school had a pre-med major. I was like, you've gotten this far and still don't know that premed majors pretty much don't exist?

I hate to burst your bubble but quite a few do including some well known ones so I think he/she got to 3rd year residency for a reason just worry about yourself.
 
I actually shadowed a third-year resident yesterday, and he asked if my school had a pre-med major. I was like, you've gotten this far and still don't know that premed majors pretty much don't exist?

The school I transferred from had a premedicine major. Looking back at it now, it was pretty legit. You had to satisfy certain criteria to be able to major in it. The pre-req's were taught entirely in the scope of the mcat, and they scheduled an MCAT class during the summer after sophomore year.

With that said, I have two old friends that graduated and work in labs now with no intent of going into medicine. They gave up on their dream somewhere along the way. Both have their bachelor of science in "Premedical Studies". :laugh:
 
I think its safe to assume that when people say "premed major" they mean biology, biochem, chem. etc

Nah, he asked the question in a way that definitely didn't imply that.

I hate to burst your bubble but quite a few do including some well known ones so I think he/she got to 3rd year residency for a reason just worry about yourself.

Well the question was directed to me, so pretty sure I was worrying about myself. And I certainly wasn't doubting his abilities. Sure, I know that there are select schools that offer them, but the vast, vast majority do not, so my "pretty much don't exist" comment wasn't really incorrect. To be fair to the guy, he phrased the question in the negative form, so he knew the answer was a "no" before he even asked.
 
Last edited:
ugh I know a pre-med who asks questions even when they're obvious. I really don't get the point.



I actually shadowed a third-year resident yesterday, and he asked if my school had a pre-med major. I was like, you've gotten this far and still don't know that premed majors pretty much don't exist?

My school had a "pre-professional" major.

But, yeah, that guy's probably an idiot. Probably a danger to patients. Hope you let him know.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last friday a freshman friend of mine had a gen bio test and I asked her how she felt about it on Monday:

Me: So how did that bio test go??? Did you study the cardiovascular and basic cell respiration topics well?

Her: It went ok......I wish I studied more

Me: ahh well that sucks :/ how much did you study?

Her: I went out and partied thursday night. OMG why do they test us on this stupid **** we're never going to need to know it again!!

Me: Uh because you do need to know it....physiology and basic metabolic processes are important for any pre-health/premed student

Her: Well only losers like you who actually study in the library for these tests would do well. I at least have a bf. This is gen bio and unimportant class for med school.

Me: 😕 That is completely unrelated. And this class is very important. And yes I did study for that test 2 years ago when I took this class..... I kind of wanted an A you know

Her: Well you're just smart. How's your physio class?

Me: It's basically gen bio but 100000x harder. You won't learn that "insulin is secreted from beta cells b/c of high blood glucose" but how mechanistically insulin is secreted from beta cells. That's the easy stuff. We also get posed clinical cases on tests and have to make "diagnoses" based on our knowledge of physiology and explain the mechanism of the disease.

Her: Oh I like that stuff better, it's so much easier.

Me: Um.....okk.......... Btw did you study for the Cyanide poisoning essay question I told you was on my test?

Her: I HATE YOU GO AWAY!!!!!!

me: *facepalm* K........
 
I actually shadowed a third-year resident yesterday, and he asked if my school had a pre-med major. I was like, you've gotten this far and still don't know that premed majors pretty much don't exist?

Here's my quote contribution to this thread, goodnight all
 
My school had a "pre-professional" major.

But, yeah, that guy's probably an idiot. Probably a danger to patients. Hope you let him know.

1. Once again, I never said nor believed that he was an idiot. He clearly got a residency at a top-notch hospital for a reason. He was just the last person I expected to ask that. Y'all need to chill out. Go smoke a bowl or something.
2. He did flub a central line on a patient four times in a row. He's totally a danger and is gonna kill the next guy. I mean seriously, how did he even get into medical school, right?

Here's my quote contribution to this thread, goodnight all

Believe me, I'm truly honored.
 
Last edited:
The school I transferred from had a premedicine major. Looking back at it now, it was pretty legit. You had to satisfy certain criteria to be able to major in it. The pre-req's were taught entirely in the scope of the mcat, and they scheduled an MCAT class during the summer after sophomore year.

With that said, I have two old friends that graduated and work in labs now with no intent of going into medicine. They gave up on their dream somewhere along the way. Both have their bachelor of science in "Premedical Studies". :laugh:

That'd be pretty cool assuming you actually did go to med school with it... though i feel that my school would lose 99% of our biology majors if we added a "premedical studies" major....
 
he had a 3.25 cGPA 30 mcat and said that if he went to DO school he would be a laughing stock because he wanted to be a surgeon! He has applied two cycles and has yet to get in... Apparently had an offer from Boston University med and turned it down so he could go to an ivy league school.

😱 I absolutely can't believe this.

I'm in premed AMSA and I got an email recently about them starting to sell stethoscopes. I couldn't help but imagine a bunch of premeds walking around wearing them. That, on top of the obligatory ones that wear their lab coats to lab. :scared: Thankfully I haven't seen that yet.
I know some schools require a lab coat for chem lab, but ours doesn't.
 
😱 I absolutely can't believe this.

I'm in premed AMSA and I got an email recently about them starting to sell stethoscopes. I couldn't help but imagine a bunch of premeds walking around wearing them. That, on top of the obligatory ones that wear their lab coats to lab. :scared: Thankfully I haven't seen that yet.
I know some schools require a lab coat for chem lab, but ours doesn't.

Hmm.. Isn't AMSA also an organization for current medical students?
 
Not sure if this counts, in my genetics class, the prof. was talking about some chromosome disorder, as he was going to the next slide this girl raises her hand and remarks that she saw that same thing on House, and blah blah blah about some crazy experimental treatment, I couldn't hear because everyone was laughing.
 
LOL it's really sad to see that some of you don't know that the major pre-medical studies actually exists. Even funnier that it's in this thread 😀. I will add that I dislike people who ask OBVIOUS questions in class. It just gets so old listening to that person literally rephrase what the professor just said, in question form. Really?
 
Not sure if this counts, in my genetics class, the prof. was talking about some chromosome disorder, as he was going to the next slide this girl raises her hand and remarks that she saw that same thing on House, and blah blah blah about some crazy experimental treatment, I couldn't hear because everyone was laughing.

Funny story: One of my professors from last semester is a retired surgeon, and before the first episode of House premiered he was asked by TV Guide to do a review of the show. He pretty much said that it was nonsense and that it would go nowhere. Eight years and a couple of Emmys later, it's still proving my professor wrong and misinforming premeds all over the country. Can't say he was wrong about the nonsense part though.
 
LOL it's really sad to see that some of you don't know that the major pre-medical studies actually exists. Even funnier that it's in this thread 😀. I will add that I dislike people who ask OBVIOUS questions in class. It just gets so old listening to that person literally rephrase what the professor just said, in question form. Really?

There's this annoying girl who happens to reappear in ALL of my classes this semester and she asks the most pointless questions ever. She's not stupid, she just wants to "clarify" everything because she thinks it will make the professor just love her.

In my opinion, any professor in their right mind should loathe her.
 
yeah same with this girl. She's def not stupid she just wants to "clarify" everything and it's obviously an act to get the professor to like her. I mean seriously. For example, Professor: Ksp is defined as the solubility constant and when doing problems you should think of it like you would any other equilibrium problem. Annoying girl: so when we're doing these problems we should think of it like the other equilibrium problems? YES BITCH HE JUST SAID THAT. It's a lot more annoying in person when it's every single lecture (and I'm talking every single lecture asking AT LEAST 4 of these type of questions). I've also had the opportunity to talk to her one on one in a few review sessions and she's the typical gunner.
 
yeah same with this girl. She's def not stupid she just wants to "clarify" everything and it's obviously an act to get the professor to like her. I mean seriously. For example, Professor: Ksp is defined as the solubility constant and when doing problems you should think of it like you would any other equilibrium problem. Annoying girl: so when we're doing these problems we should think of it like the other equilibrium problems? YES BITCH HE JUST SAID THAT. It's a lot more annoying in person when it's every single lecture (and I'm talking every single lecture asking AT LEAST 4 of these type of questions). I've also had the opportunity to talk to her one on one in a few review sessions and she's the typical gunner.

This made me laugh really hard.
 
Funny story: One of my professors from last semester is a retired surgeon, and before the first episode of House premiered he was asked by TV Guide to do a review of the show. He pretty much said that it was nonsense and that it would go nowhere. Eight years and a couple of Emmys later, it's still proving my professor wrong and misinforming premeds all over the country. Can't say he was wrong about the nonsense part though.

I guess he learned his lesson: If it is nonsense, it will sell!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Funny story: One of my professors from last semester is a retired surgeon, and before the first episode of House premiered he was asked by TV Guide to do a review of the show. He pretty much said that it was nonsense and that it would go nowhere. Eight years and a couple of Emmys later, it's still proving my professor wrong and misinforming premeds all over the country. Can't say he was wrong about the nonsense part though.

It's pretty cool that House and his team are certified in EVERY SINGLE SPECIALTY, though, and that obviously no radiology techs or lab techs work at the hospital so they have to do those jobs too. At Princeton-Plainsboro, you have to be an MD to look at CBCs! And that silly idea of having separate doctors to perform surgery, read scans, treat kids, treat adults, and take care of sick babies? Nonsense! Princeton-Plainsboro has got a system worked out -- there's Wilson to do oncology consultations, and there's House's team to do literally everything else. Yay!

That's my biggest pet peeve about the show, haha. My boyfriend seriously thought that doctors were able to do all those things. Misinformation on the loose!
 
LOL it's really sad to see that some of you don't know that the major pre-medical studies actually exists. Even funnier that it's in this thread 😀. I will add that I dislike people who ask OBVIOUS questions in class. It just gets so old listening to that person literally rephrase what the professor just said, in question form. Really?
What's obvious to some people might not be so obvious to others, we can't all be geniuses 🙄
I know I'm always asking "obvious" questions, usually for clarification or because I didn't hear the teacher before.
 
It's pretty cool that House and his team are certified in EVERY SINGLE SPECIALTY, though, and that obviously no radiology techs or lab techs work at the hospital so they have to do those jobs too. At Princeton-Plainsboro, you have to be an MD to look at CBCs! And that silly idea of having separate doctors to perform surgery, read scans, treat kids, treat adults, and take care of sick babies? Nonsense! Princeton-Plainsboro has got a system worked out -- there's Wilson to do oncology consultations, and there's House's team to do literally everything else. Yay!

That's my biggest pet peeve about the show, haha. My boyfriend seriously thought that doctors were able to do all those things. Misinformation on the loose!

Yeah, good point. In the ED I work at (and this applies for every ED), they basically have a radiologist come in for every reading.
 
What's obvious to some people might not be so obvious to others, we can't all be geniuses 🙄
I know I'm always asking "obvious" questions, usually for clarification or because I didn't hear the teacher before.

It's not so much the questions that's annoying... it's the pretend curiosity. I have at least two people in one of my classes who'll start laughing really loud at any thing that slightly resembles a joke by the prof.

Prof: "And so the H+ hops on over to the other side"

Student: HahahaahAHHAHA hooo hahaha!

...
 
It's not so much the questions that's annoying... it's the pretend curiosity. I have at least two people in one of my classes who'll start laughing really loud at any thing that slightly resembles a joke by the prof.

Prof: "And so the H+ hops on over to the other side"

Student: HahahaahAHHAHA hooo hahaha!

...

And then when you don't laugh, you look like the stuck-up jerk... Yeah. Sucks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.