Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a bump. This isn't a premed story but it's related. My cousin sent me a text saying she got into medical school. I had no idea she had applied interviewed or anything so I was a little taken aback. She said she was going to an academy of allied health to be a medical administrative assistant and clinical medical assistant. I just don't have the heart to tell her it's not medical school

lmao, that is terrible!

Our school put on an interview workshop for the undergrads. I was doing a mock interview with a sophomore (she's a ways from applying, but she came to the event anyway):

Me: So have you thought about what specialty you might want to do?
Premed: [without hesitation] Oh I want to be a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon.
Me: 😕 Why?
Premed: Because I like kids and I like hearts! :shrug: 😛

haha, typical response.

Its only funny because it is obvious that the girl has a very simplistic and naive view of the field, but in reality, assuming she knows what kind of Step 1 scores she needs, what sort of hours she needs to put into med school + residency, then fundamentally, there is actually nothing wrong with that statement 🙄
 
LoL, I've had so many professors like this. In fact, my Social Psychology/Research Methods professor took it a notch further. One day he poses this deal to the entire class mid-semester, in all seriousness: "I'll grant two As outright, right here, right now, if one of you lets one of your classmates in here punch you in the face. That's right, two As, no questions asked. Any volunteers?" As uncouth as it was, I found it hilarious and ironic. Although a few entertained the idea, no one actually accepted the challenge. My wife and I remain good friends with this guy after he left (without getting fired, amazingly). He's just one of those sardonically blunt and hilarious guys. I have to wonder if he would've stopped the students had one reared a first back...

Hmmm...how hard was the class and would you have gotten to pick who did the punching or would he? I mean, A in the class for taking a single punch? I've heard of worse options =p
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm...how hard was the class and would you have gotten to pick who did the punching or would he? I mean, A in the class for taking a single punch? I've heard of worse options =p
Even if it is a cakewalk class I'd do it just to avoid going to class anymore and doing any work.
 
I was talking to a pre-pharm student telling her I was applying to DO school... she was like "Oh naturopathic medicine right?" :scared:

Love the avatar.

Hmmm...how hard was the class and would you have gotten to pick who did the punching or would he? I mean, A in the class for taking a single punch? I've heard of worse options =p

It was brutal. I was one of about 4 of 30 that earned an A. He was one to ensure that you knew you were out of mommy's womb and in college. Accordingly, he was well hated by students (and by faculty for his lack of bureaucratic tolerance). But I loved him. He was freakin' hilarious and subversive. He would have lab days where he would bring in the most god awful music with the caveat that each student had "one pass," meaning one opportunity to push the skip button on the CD player. He then challenged us to bring in our own torturous music with the notion that he'd endure anything...until my wife brought in Kelly's "Shoes." He skipped about 30 seconds in and told her "You win." Hahaha! The entire class gave him crap for the rest of the semester.

Anyway, to this day, I have no idea how I pulled it off. After every test I thought to myself, disheartened, "Well that was a solid B-...if I'm lucky." Then I get the tests back and involuntarily chirp because I was so surprised. Now you can imagine the hate I endured from the haterz that were my classmates, looking over my shoulder and yelling, "Dude, how the hell!?"

Even if it is a cakewalk class I'd do it just to avoid going to class anymore and doing any work.

+1

That would all depend on who was doing the hitting, at least if it was a cake class. Orgo II I'd take a hit from anyone who wasn't holding a weapon.

I offered to be the puncher, for obvious reasons, but no one stepped up to take the hit. Maybe it was the fact that I was about 200 pounds at the time and covered in tattoos and piercings? =0 LoL

Man, I love reminiscing.
 
I offered to be the puncher, for obvious reasons, but no one stepped up to take the hit. Maybe it was the fact that I was about 200 pounds at the time and covered in tattoos and piercings? =0 LoL

Man, I love reminiscing.
I'd have probably taken the punch and never walked into the class again. If he required me to at least attend, I would have shown up and be equally subversive back and encouraged my fellow students to participate in things like "No Pants Day" and "Play Facebook Games With the Volume Cranked Day". Just would have asked for a hook instead of a jab so I didn't have to worry about a broken nose =p
 
I'd have probably taken the punch and never walked into the class again. If he required me to at least attend, I would have shown up and be equally subversive back and encouraged my fellow students to participate in things like "No Pants Day" and "Play Facebook Games With the Volume Cranked Day". Just would have asked for a hook instead of a jab so I didn't have to worry about a broken nose =p

LoL! I'd rather take the jab: A broken nose is far better than a broken jaw accompanied by 3 to 6 months of eating every meal through a straw. Have you ever had a puree diet? I served them as a tech in a nursing home during high school. No way, José!
 
Ok. So along the lines of people saying "medical school" when they mean something else:

When I visited SF, I had a couple of conversations that went like this:

New friend: What do you do?
t-cles: I start medical school in the fall.
New friend: Oh, for what?
t-cles: For medicine.
New friend: Oh, you mean, like, to be a doctor? That's cool. One of my friends is in medical school for pharmacy.

Don't . . . understand . . .
 
I had a girl in physics tell me she she was getting in with a 2.0 GPA and a 19L MCAT. I'm serious shes applying to Harvard and Yale. I would feel bad for her if it wasn't for the fact she gets on everyone's nerves.
 
I had a girl in physics tell me she she was getting in with a 2.0 GPA and a 19L MCAT. I'm serious shes applying to Harvard and Yale. I would feel bad for her if it wasn't for the fact she gets on everyone's nerves.


If you believe it, you can be it!!! ......right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a girl in physics tell me she she was getting in with a 2.0 GPA and a 19L MCAT. I'm serious shes applying to Harvard and Yale. I would feel bad for her if it wasn't for the fact she gets on everyone's nerves.

Never know, they might actually interview her...


just for the LULZ!
 
Ok. So along the lines of people saying "medical school" when they mean something else:

When I visited SF, I had a couple of conversations that went like this:

New friend: What do you do?
t-cles: I start medical school in the fall.
New friend: Oh, for what?
t-cles: For medicine.
New friend: Oh, you mean, like, to be a doctor? That's cool. One of my friends is in medical school for pharmacy.

Don't . . . understand . . .

this also happens for pa school and physical therapy
 
There are a plethora of improvised implements in the classroom that can easily convert to deadly weapons: pencil, chair, laboratory scalpel, acrylamide, et cetera. LoL
ive often thought of bashing a premed or two's head in with an orgo book or bottle of concentrated HCL :laugh:
 
Last year I happend to run into a nice elderly lady at Marshalls (she was a customer assistant and helped me to find something):
Her: "So, what are you doing?"
Me: "I am a first year medical student"
Her: "Thats great! My grandson is a 4th year medical student. How do you like it?"
Me: "I like it; I believe that medicine is my calling, but it is a lot of work."
Her: "I know. My grandson always tells me how difficult it is; especially last semester when he had to take trigonometry. He really struggled with it".
Me: "Are you sure that your grandson goes to medical school and not something else?"
Her: "Yes, I am absolutelly sure. He is going to be a doctor very soon".
Me: 😕
 
Last year I happend to run into a nice elderly lady at Marshalls (she was a customer assistant and helped me to find something):
Her: "So, what are you doing?"
Me: "I am a first year medical student"
Her: "Thats great! My grandson is a 4th year medical student. How do you like it?"
Me: "I like it; I believe that medicine is my calling, but it is a lot of work."
Her: "I know. My grandson always tells me how difficult it is; especially last semester when he had to take trigonometry. He really struggled with it".
Me: "Are you sure that your grandson goes to medical school and not something else?"
Her: "Yes, I am absolutelly sure. He is going to be a doctor very soon".
Me: 😕
Trig???!!??!? Just wait until he hits pre-calc.
 
Let me see if I can get this out in three words or less, this happened in a busy orgo lab to a premed:

Blonde
Chloroform
Inhaling

I'll let your imaginations wander.
 
I was once asked after I explained to a group of friends that I am currently pursuing medicine, and thus am I pre-med.

"What is a pre-med".

I face palmed immediately.
 
LoL! I'd rather take the jab: A broken nose is far better than a broken jaw accompanied by 3 to 6 months of eating every meal through a straw. Have you ever had a puree diet? I served them as a tech in a nursing home during high school. No way, José!

If you're expecting the punch and braced for it, it would take a hell of a hit to break your jaw, especially from someone who's presumably just trying to hit you hard enough to convince a semi-insane professor that they meant it. You can clench a jaw, you can't brace a nose 😉
 
Ok. So along the lines of people saying "medical school" when they mean something else:

When I visited SF, I had a couple of conversations that went like this:

New friend: What do you do?
t-cles: I start medical school in the fall.
New friend: Oh, for what?
t-cles: For medicine.
New friend: Oh, you mean, like, to be a doctor? That's cool. One of my friends is in medical school for pharmacy.

Don't . . . understand . . .

lol happens a lot, my wife gets asked if she is going into nursing at medical school
 
(Discussion with a Junior Pre-med during an Ecology lab).
Me: Dave, how's studying going for that MCAT? All set to take it at the end of April?
Dave: I moved it back to July. Figured it wouldn't make a difference, and then I won't have to start studying until June at least.
Me: Oh... well good luck with that. I would probably start studying a little earlier. Where do you think you're wanting to apply.
Dave: I'm only aiming for the best... Harvard.
Me: .... Just.... Harvard?
Dave: Yah. I only want to go to the best.
Me: That's very.... ambitious of you. I hope it works out for you! How's your gpa...?
Dave: Solid 3.6. It's definitely good enough I think.
Me: And how many physicians have you shadowed/clinical experience?
Dave: I shadowed one.... But what's clinical experience?
Me: (explained clinical experience) How about volunteering or leadership or research? You're set in those areas right?
Dave: I volunteered a lot in High School. I'm in an honor society (One of those GPA only honor societies), AND I'm started helping a projessor with a project a few weeks ago.

This is the description of 95% of the pre-meds at my school. Haha

I wonder if they reapply or just give up after the first cycle, or even make it through the whole application
 
lol happens a lot, my wife gets asked if she is going into nursing at medical school


Definitely this. I was riding the train to the airport after second look weekend at the school I will be attending, and ended up in a conversation with a rednecky sort of guy. After he found out that I was heading to the airport, he asked what I had been doing in the city.

Me: visiting _________ Medical School, where I'll be starting in the fall.
Him: You're going to medical school?
Me: Yes, I'm really excited.
Him: That's great. You sure are gonna be a purty nurse.
Me: ... Actually, I'm going to be a doctor.
Him: a doctor? Really? Well that's even better, doctors should be purty too!
Me: *edges further across train*
 
I was once asked after I explained to a group of friends that I am currently pursuing medicine, and thus am I pre-med.

"What is a pre-med".

I face palmed immediately.
i don't believe this. isn't like every freshman who enters college pre-med, pre-law, or business?
 
Definitely this. I was riding the train to the airport after second look weekend at the school I will be attending, and ended up in a conversation with a rednecky sort of guy. After he found out that I was heading to the airport, he asked what I had been doing in the city.

Me: visiting _________ Medical School, where I'll be starting in the fall.
Him: You're going to medical school?
Me: Yes, I'm really excited.
Him: That's great. You sure are gonna be a purty nurse.
Me: ... Actually, I'm going to be a doctor.
Him: a doctor? Really? Well that's even better, doctors should be purty too!
Me: *edges further across train*

so how purty are you?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to comment on people who ask seemingly redundant questions:

I thought that it was common knowledge that when you ask a question, which someone just answered (briefly), it is to get the person who is speaking to go into deeper explanation. I do it sometimes and every time the person just explains it more elaborately.
 
i don't believe this. isn't like every freshman who enters college pre-med, pre-law, or business?

Haha this is definitely true... Freshman year-Gen Chem I. I'm pretty sure 90% of the people in that class claimed they were pre-med. By the time Junior or Senior year rolls around probably a couple from the class end up actually applying and who knows if they get in. They others succumbed to: terrible grades, laziness towards the MCAT, or they actually realize they had no idea what they were talking about and figured out saying they were premed is about million times easier than actually going through the whole app process and getting accepted. I bet some premed advisers have some of the most outrageous premed stories.
 
Haha this is definitely true... Freshman year-Gen Chem I. I'm pretty sure 90% of the people in that class claimed they were pre-med. By the time Junior or Senior year rolls around probably a couple from the class end up actually applying and who knows if they get in. They others succumbed to: terrible grades, laziness towards the MCAT, or they actually realize they had no idea what they were talking about and figured out saying they were premed is about million times easier than actually going through the whole app process and getting accepted. I bet some premed advisers have some of the most outrageous premed stories.

There are never any smart students who could easily make it to medical school but decide that's not where their interest actually lies anymore 🙄. Only a little arrogant...
 
There are never any smart students who could easily make it to medical school but decide that's not where their interest actually lies anymore 🙄. Only a little arrogant...

Have you ever met a freshman premed? His post is pretty accurate, and I am willing to be the number of people who could have gotten into medical school but switched tracks is very low, at least compared to the number of idiots who wanted to be heart surgeons and got a 2.0 gpa first semester.
 
There are never any smart students who could easily make it to medical school but decide that's not where their interest actually lies anymore 🙄. Only a little arrogant...

While I agree that there are some students who do, in fact, choose to leave the pre-med route because of a change of interest unrelated to academics, this seems to be somewhat less common than those who at least appear to have academic failure as a significant factor. The ones whose interests simply changed seem to often go to similarly competitive fields that have key differences (e.g., young woman goes the PA route because she is told it will allow her to spend more time with her family and she wants to have kids). Often, pre-meds tend to think themselves more highly than they ought, but, perhaps, this is the kind of person medical schools initially select for by expecting such high stats. (Hopefully, these individuals are at least somewhat weeded out by the interview process. From what I have seen of the students with whom I will be attending medical school this fall, this appears to be the case.... :xf:)
 
i don't believe this. isn't like every freshman who enters college pre-med, pre-law, or business?

Well I was having a conversation with third years, and do keep in mind that I am in Canada therefore the notion of a "pre-med" is almost non-existant since it is not a designated major/minor as it is in the states under other pretenses like "medical sciences" et cetera.

It is technically true that every freshman that is pursuing at some level a "science" major is categorized in that field, in that same regard we are all "pre-laws" since for majority of the law schools a solid LSAT and undergrad will suffice.

The purpose of my post was that she didn't understand the implication of the word pre-med, she was utterly confused on what that abbreviation meant, it wasn't the notion that she found confusing (well considering she didn't even know what it meant).

I didn't post this little experience to be humiliating towards this particular female, but considering the title of the thread, i found it appropriate to be classified under "silly things you have heard....".
 
I had a job as pre-professional advisement during my sr. year...so I got piles of freshman coming into the office for advisment sessions.

Me: So what do you want to major in?
Freshman: Pre-med.
Me: That is great! You thinking of a biology-like major?
Freshman: No, I am majoring in pre-med.
Me: Ok, well pre-med isn't a major here.
Freshman:*super concerned* What do you mean? Can I get into medical school studying at this university?!?!
Me: You need to pick a major and you can take any medical school pre-reqs as electives.
Freshman: Is a pre-med major a pre-req?
Me: (on the inside 😱) No. The pre-reqs are generally chemistry, o-chem, etc. etc. They are not a major in and of themselves.
Freshman: Can I waive them if I do a pre-med major?

.......this meeting went on for about 15 minutes with the end result being the student being convinced that he needed to transfer since there was no pre-med major at the university.

I died a little on the inside.
 
Last edited:
I had a job as pre-professional advisement during my sr. year...so I got piles of freshman coming into the office for advisment sessions.

Me: So what do you want to major in?
Freshman: Pre-med.
Me: That is great! You thinking of a biology-like major?
Freshman: No, I am majoring in pre-med.
Me: Ok, well pre-med isn't a major here.
Freshman:*super concerned* What do you mean? Can I get into medical school studying at this university?!?!
Me: You need to pick a major and you can take any medical school pre-reqs as electives.
Freshman: Is a pre-med major a pre-req?
Me: (on the inside 😱) No. The pre-reqs are generally chemsitry, o-come, etc. etc. They are not a major in and of themselves.
Freshman: Can I waive them if I do a pre-med major?

.......this meeting went on for about 15 minutes with the end result being the student being convinced that he needed to transfer since there was no pre-med major at the university.

I died a little on the inside.

HAHAHA....

yeah we have a few idiots here who think they are majoring in "pre med" and there's no major here called premed

it doesnt matter most of them major in "i switched from pre med to pre business after the first semester of college" anyway
 
I had a job as pre-professional advisement during my sr. year...so I got piles of freshman coming into the office for advisment sessions.

Me: So what do you want to major in?
Freshman: Pre-med.
Me: That is great! You thinking of a biology-like major?
Freshman: No, I am majoring in pre-med.
Me: Ok, well pre-med isn't a major here.
Freshman:*super concerned* What do you mean? Can I get into medical school studying at this university?!?!
Me: You need to pick a major and you can take any medical school pre-reqs as electives.
Freshman: Is a pre-med major a pre-req?
Me: (on the inside 😱) No. The pre-reqs are generally chemsitry, o-come, etc. etc. They are not a major in and of themselves.
Freshman: Can I waive them if I do a pre-med major?

.......this meeting went on for about 15 minutes with the end result being the student being convinced that he needed to transfer since there was no pre-med major at the university.

I died a little on the inside.

Should have let them transfer. Lol
 
My GenChem lab partner: "My Dad went to X medical school so I automatically get an interview there"
Me: "Thats nice, so how'd you do on the first test"
Her: "oh, I have this thing where I don't study at all for the first exam of all of my classes,... that way I know how much I'll need to study for the next one. I ended up getting a D on the exam"
Me: "..... WHAT?!?
 
Sorry, not a premed quote, but just something that I find funny. I rarely tell people that I'm gonna start med school, but since I'm on vacation with my family, my Mom loves bragging to people we meet, so I'm forced to go along.

On several occasions in the past four days, it's gone like this:
Mom: My son is starting medical school in two months!
Stranger (to me): Oh that's wonderful!! What are you gonna be studying?
Me: 🙄 (inside: umm...medicine?! lol)

It's not really a stupid question since a lot of people don't know the difference between med school, nursing school, pa school, etc. or perhaps they're asking about which specialty I want to go into (not realizing there's residency afterward), but I just find it funny anyway. I have to briefly explain that I'm gonna be a doctor but I'm not sure in which field yet.
 
Sorry, not a premed quote, but just something that I find funny. I rarely tell people that I'm gonna start med school, but since I'm on vacation with my family, my Mom loves bragging to people we meet, so I'm forced to go along.

On several occasions in the past four days, it's gone like this:
Mom: My son is starting medical school in two months!
Stranger (to me): Oh that's wonderful!! What are you gonna be studying?
Me: 🙄 (inside: umm...medicine?! lol)

It's not really a stupid question since a lot of people don't know the difference between med school, nursing school, pa school, etc. or perhaps they're asking about which specialty I want to go into (not realizing there's residency afterward), but I just find it funny anyway. I have to briefly explain that I'm gonna be a doctor but I'm not sure in which field yet.

great sig/MDApps. i'll definitely be looking through that again once i apply. Congrats on getting into pitt too. i have a friend who goes there and he loves it. 👍
 
My GenChem lab partner: "My Dad went to X medical school so I automatically get an interview there"
Me: "Thats nice, so how'd you do on the first test"
Her: "oh, I have this thing where I don't study at all for the first exam of all of my classes,... that way I know how much I'll need to study for the next one. I ended up getting a D on the exam"
Me: "..... WHAT?!?

Haha I was sorta like your partner. Had an uncle that went to X school so I was getting an interview if I was near the averages. But I knew it wasn't just handed to me
 
My GenChem lab partner: "My Dad went to X medical school so I automatically get an interview there"
Me: "Thats nice, so how'd you do on the first test"
Her: "oh, I have this thing where I don't study at all for the first exam of all of my classes,... that way I know how much I'll need to study for the next one. I ended up getting a D on the exam"
Me: "..... WHAT?!?

you should really get out of the habit of asking this. maybe noone has told you this before but it's quite rude.
 
I had a job as pre-professional advisement during my sr. year...so I got piles of freshman coming into the office for advisment sessions.

Me: So what do you want to major in?
Freshman: Pre-med.
Me: That is great! You thinking of a biology-like major?
Freshman: No, I am majoring in pre-med.
Me: Ok, well pre-med isn't a major here.
Freshman:*super concerned* What do you mean? Can I get into medical school studying at this university?!?!
Me: You need to pick a major and you can take any medical school pre-reqs as electives.
Freshman: Is a pre-med major a pre-req?
Me: (on the inside 😱) No. The pre-reqs are generally chemistry, o-chem, etc. etc. They are not a major in and of themselves.
Freshman: Can I waive them if I do a pre-med major?

.......this meeting went on for about 15 minutes with the end result being the student being convinced that he needed to transfer since there was no pre-med major at the university.

I died a little on the inside.

HAHAHA!!!!:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
great sig/MDApps. i'll definitely be looking through that again once i apply. Congrats on getting into pitt too. i have a friend who goes there and he loves it. 👍

Thank you. Yeah, I definitely can't wait to start at Pitt. It's gonna be amazing. I do try to make my mdapps as helpful as I can - it's the only reason I've kept it up. So hopefully it'll have more content (and more organization!) by the time you're getting ready to apply 😀. If there's anything you would want me to add that might be helpful, I'd probably do it. Any feedback is appreciated.😎
 
you should really get out of the habit of asking this. maybe noone has told you this before but it's quite rude.

Random stranger? Sure. Lab partner? I'd disagree. You guys are going to be spending a semester or two working together for a class, it's a pretty natural topic to bring up. I've never had a lab partner who I didn't discuss grades with (and I've always respected the choice if they say something like "I bombed it and don't wanna talk about it" hell, I've said much the same thing to them, as well).
 
fellow CA resident: "My top choice for med school is UMass."

me: "uh, you know they only take Mass residents, right? Haven't you seen the MSAR?"

fellow CA resident: "What's the MSAR? I just gotta do good on my MCAT and I should be OK. I'm shooting for 35+."
 
You will find that the vast majority of the public have no idea how the training process works for US physicians. Even as a resident I occasionally get "I want to see a real doctor". Or I what do you mean your a "resident" is that like an intern?

I frequently see patients, or friends/family of patients who are in "Med school" (AKA med tech school) or "radiologists" (who are radiology techs). Ive even seen people who say they are going to school for anesthesiology, neurology, cardiology ect. who are actually just pre meds.

You would be surprised how many pre-med sons/daughters want to see the patients EKG, Chest X-ray ect. The key is to just be nice and encouraging. There's really no need to argue, correct or make the person feel bad.

My contribution.

Person in jail who tells me he is going to be a doctor. His plan, start as a nurse, do a good job and get promoted to doctor one day.

My response, Well it doesn't really work that way, but best of luck to you
 
You would be surprised how many pre-med sons/daughters want to see the patients EKG, Chest X-ray ect. The key is to just be nice and encouraging. There's really no need to argue, correct or make the person feel bad.

My contribution.

Person in jail who tells me he is going to be a doctor. His plan, start as a nurse, do a good job and get promoted to doctor one day.

My response, Well it doesn't really work that way, but best of luck to you

I don't think wanting to look at a family member's medical information is a bad thing for a pre-med. As long as they're not trying to make a diagnosis, of course 😉 Hell, I was doing a science fair project on the heart in 8th grade when my sister was in the hospital for a few weeks due to an accident and the doctors did fun stuff like let me look at the surgical procedure book for a heart transplant and talked to me about what it's like to hold a living heart in your hand. Anything that can be done to encourage scientific/medical curiosity seems like a good thing, in my mind.

And that guy could (assuming he doesn't have a felony) become a nurse and work up to NP-they're just like doctors, right? :laugh:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.