Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yes to the other post above, I remember being in grad school in BU and feeling so out of place when I realized how wealthy half of my classmates truly were. And sadly I wasn't poor by any means but these people were richer way richer.

Totally agree (to all posts about it).

Of course, don't get me wrong, my dad didn't start making a decent paycheck until I was well past 18. He used his military retirement to help fund his way through CRNA school.

Early years, living off of an enlisted salary before he commissioned... But I can't complain, I never wanted for anything. I wasn't necessarily the kid who had a brand new Mercedes when I turned 16, but I wasn't swabbing chimneys either. The wealth my parents imparted on me was more knowledge and instruction instead of money.

Anyway! Enough 😴 from me! Let's read more funny quotes! My bad for the derail!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Scenario One:

*During Anatomy lab*
Random Guy: I'm thinking I'll become a neurosurgeon. I seem to just understand the brain.
Me: Interesting.. *picks up brain model and points to the corpus callosum* what's this structure?
Random Guy: Totally the neural bridge.
Me: Uh huh... Yeah, I'm sure that's right.
I'll note that we were studying brain structure; I wasn't just out to humiliate the guy, but seriously, neural bridge? What is that?

Scenario Two:

*Bio Ethics Class*
Random Girl: Psychiatrist's aren't real doctors! They do nothing but prescribe drugs.
Me: ... You're hurting the psychiatrist's of the world feelings.
Random Girl: I don't give a f---!
Me: You know, there's a pill for that 😉
Don't hate, appreciate

Scenario Three:

Professor: After physiology I encourage you all to take neuroscience.
Random Girl: What if I don't understand neuroscience?
Professor: Then you will fail.
Random Girl: What? But I...
Professor: Any other questions?
Not really pre-medicine, but hillarious
 
Scenario One:

*During Anatomy lab*
Random Guy: I'm thinking I'll become a neurosurgeon. I seem to just understand the brain.
Me: Interesting.. *picks up brain model and points to the corpus callosum* what's this structure?
Random Guy: Totally the neural bridge.
Me: Uh huh... Yeah, I'm sure that's right.
I'll note that we were studying brain structure; I wasn't just out to humiliate the guy, but seriously, neural bridge? What is that?

Scenario Two:

*Bio Ethics Class*
Random Girl: Psychiatrist's aren't real doctors! They do nothing but prescribe drugs.
Me: ... You're hurting the psychiatrist's of the world feelings.
Random Girl: I don't give a f---!
Me: You know, there's a pill for that 😉
Don't hate, appreciate

Scenario Three:

Professor: After physiology I encourage you all to take neuroscience.
Random Girl: What if I don't understand neuroscience?
Professor: Then you will fail.
Random Girl: What? But I...
Professor: Any other questions?
Not really pre-medicine, but hillarious

bahahahahahaha
 
I'm an engineering major, so I don't encounter a lot of pre-meds.
We do have plenty of social gems like the guy that wears a japanese schoolgirl outfit to class and another that wears a squirrel tail.

This is the best post in the entire thread, hands-down. Schoolgirl dude has some cajones, too. Did anyone pick on the poor kid?

I started thinking about going into medicine when I was 16. I remember watching a documentary about residents on discovery health channel. For a while, I thought that the doctors actually lived in the hospital 24/7 for all 3-7 years of residency .
But yeah, lots of people don't know about residency. I've had to explain the whole medical process a 1000 times to my family members because they still don't understand it. My grandparents are always asking, "are you a doctor now?"

That's why they're called "house staff" and "residents": Historically, they did indeed live at the hospital. (Dang, I sometimes hate reading these so far down the line. Two posts down ejay286 acknowledged this fact.)

Yeah most people would think that becoming a cardiologist wouldn't be such an asinine and inefficient processes where you have to train another 3 years in an unrelated area to your specialty and then finally train for 3 more years in your specialty.

You may want to ask a cardiologist how s/he feels about your statement, specifically the relevance of internal medicine to treating cardiovascular conditions. Heck, just use your mad Google skills. Either way, I think you'll be rather surprised.

Well... there IS some truth to what he's saying. Consider Germany (Ranked #25 in healthcare by the W.H.O. vs the U.S. at #37) -- students there graduate Gymnasium (high school) and go to med school directly to earn an MD (6 yrs) and then go through a similar process to ours for residency. That said, Germany's Gymnasiums are so far beyond the best American high schools in terms of rigor it's ridiculous. We've become too focused on "No Child Left Behind" and forgotten to actually challenge people. As a result, college students are graduating with almost no improvement in critical thinking or other valuable skills.

Unfortunately, Germany is also experiencing an immense brain-drain, as physicians there are reimbursed well below the median and thus seek employment in Britain, New Zealand, et cetera en masse. Anyway, many European countries have superior healthcare and run an undergraduate medical school system with graduate residency, skipping the concept of post-graduate residency. It seems more efficient. I'd be interested in seeing a cross-cultural comparative study outlining the pros and cons to these systems.

Grad students making fun of people?
[YOUTUBE]XViCOAu6UC0[/YOUTUBE]

That made me laugh absolutely maniacally, thank you!

-----------------
Pages 1 through 15 read in one day = A day's procrastination fulfilled. 🙂
 


This is the best post in the entire thread, hands-down. Schoolgirl dude has some cajones, too. Did anyone pick on the poor kid?



That's why they're called "house staff" and "residents": Historically, they did indeed live at the hospital. (Dang, I sometimes hate reading these so far down the line. Two posts down ejay286 acknowledged this fact.)



You may want to ask a cardiologist how s/he feels about your statement, specifically the relevance of internal medicine to treating cardiovascular conditions. Heck, just use your mad Google skills. Either way, I think you'll be rather surprised.



Unfortunately, Germany is also experiencing an immense brain-drain, as physicians there are reimbursed well below the median and thus seek employment in Britain, New Zealand, et cetera en masse. Anyway, many European countries have superior healthcare and run an undergraduate medical school system with graduate residency, skipping the concept of post-graduate residency. It seems more efficient. I'd be interested in seeing a cross-cultural comparative study outlining the pros and cons to these systems.



That made me laugh absolutely maniacally, thank you!

-----------------
Pages 1 through 15 read in one day = A day's procrastination fulfilled. 🙂


Matt Groening is the man
 
which version? The student edition?? Or the original?? or the 20 dollar leather bound version that they sell at barnes and noble???

I got that leather bound collectors edition but have never really looked anything up in it. The textbook version 2nd edition was much better for learning purposes.

Leather bound, mostly just for show, but I tried to read it.
 
You may want to ask a cardiologist how s/he feels about your statement, specifically the relevance of internal medicine to treating cardiovascular conditions. Heck, just use your mad Google skills. Either way, I think you'll be rather surprised.

:laugh: Thanks...always good to have a cardiologist's opinion from a pre-med.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/515966 Gives a cardiologist's opinion and an internist's opinion. The cardiologist seems to agree that 6 years is completely unecessary, yet the internist says the full 3 is vital. Who would know more about cardiology and the training?

Also did you see one point made in the intro?:

Such a program, however, could cause difficulties for the field of internal medicine, which could lose some third-year residents who provide extensive patient care.

The training length isn't entirely about getting the most quality doctors, it's about getting extremely cheap labor for the hospitals as well.
 
Thanks...always good to have a cardiologist's opinion from a pre-med. . . .

That doesn't quite burn me as much as you might think. I'm a published non-traditional pre-med with six years of experience in the hospital working alongside and in concert with physicians, 5 years in cardiology, allowing me to see many treatment algorithms predicated upon complex general medical conditions. So many cardiovascular conditions evolve from and continue to intertwine with general medical conditions (e.g., diabetes mellitus, chronic kidney disease; Circulation 2007, 116:85-97) and ultimately affect treatments and prognoses.

I wasn't trying to burn you. But your comment was rather strong and offensive (e.g., "asinine"). A physician could burn you well with your own words, transposing "from a pre-med" with "from a med student." But hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion and I am a pre-med and hope to be an MS1 come July. So watever's clever, Denver: Let's move on and let the comedy continue.


duty_calls3.png


Cheers.
 
lol. whats your ELO? I want a chess match

I'd love to! *adjusts imaginary glasses* PM me if you're serious. We can schedule a time to play via Yahoo! chess.

Nice avatar and MDApp stats, too. Congrats.

---------EDIT

Just finished the thread front to back today, fulfilling yet another day's worth of procrastination.

. . .

Scenario Three:

Professor: After physiology I encourage you all to take neuroscience.
Random Girl: What if I don't understand neuroscience?
Professor: Then you will fail.
Random Girl: What? But I...
Professor: Any other questions?
Not really pre-medicine, but hillarious

LoL, I've had so many professors like this. In fact, my Social Psychology/Research Methods professor took it a notch further. One day he poses this deal to the entire class mid-semester, in all seriousness: "I'll grant two As outright, right here, right now, if one of you lets one of your classmates in here punch you in the face. That's right, two As, no questions asked. Any volunteers?" As uncouth as it was, I found it hilarious and ironic. Although a few entertained the idea, no one actually accepted the challenge. My wife and I remain good friends with this guy after he left (without getting fired, amazingly). He's just one of those sardonically blunt and hilarious guys. I have to wonder if he would've stopped the students had one reared a first back...

Hah, and on another day, he was alluding to the Flintstones during a lecture to describe the social implications underlying the show or something, when a student raised his hand to ask who Barney, Fred, and Wilma were. So he types something into google and turns around to address the class while the lecture hall projector screen was up and running. Suddenly the entire screen is peppered with Flintstone porn. We all just died laughing, frantic professor included as he dove to minimize the screen. Classic.

Man, I'm still laughing at that one. Okay, moving on to the more pre-med relevant stories...
 
Last edited:
This one guy told me once that having a 3.9 or 4.0 would be seen as bad by ADCOMS because it means that you are selfish, so all you need to do to get to med school is have a lot of EC activities, and that he knows someone who got into Stanford with a 2.6 but a bunch of volunteering.
 
This one guy told me once that having a 3.9 or 4.0 would be seen as bad by ADCOMS because it means that you are selfish, so all you need to do to get to med school is have a lot of EC activities, and that he knows someone who got into Stanford with a 2.6 but a bunch of volunteering.

That reminds me- a premed once told me that adcoms look down on 4.0s because they're seen as "too perfect." 😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That reminds me- a premed once told me that adcoms look down on 4.0s because they're seen as "too perfect." 😕
I think the hope is that 4.0 students will be thought of as too intellectual for clinical medicine and not as social/normal. I've heard the same comment made about step 1 scores that are "too high" (270+). It's a load of hooey.
 
In my general biology class, there is this pre-med girl who asks a lot of silly questions...I'll give you a taste.
*Discussing atmosphere and reflection of sunlight*

Girl: But professor, why is space so cold if the atmosphere reflects the sun's heat?

I may have laughed at her.
 
I think the hope is that 4.0 students will be thought of as too intellectual for clinical medicine and not as social/normal. I've heard the same comment made about step 1 scores that are "too high" (270+). It's a load of hooey.

Was actually told by an EM program director that they look closely at applicants with 250+ to make sure they aren't freaks.
 
"When you're in med school don't you practice anatomy on other students?"

I died laughing when I overheard this in class.
 
Not a pre-med technically, but here you go:

In physics lab my junior year, working in a group including two freshmen physics majors. One says, "so this is probably in the ultra violent spectrum."
Me: "You mean ultra violet?"
Other guy: "No, ultra violent, like it's really intense."
 
So I heard this on the radio yesterday:

Caller: Happy Easter from X community college!
Radio DJ: Thank you. What are you studying to be there?
Caller: A radiologist!
Radio DJ: Awesome! The sexiest jobs for women are radiologists, EMTs, and nurses.

If he actually knew what a radiologist was I think he would change his mind.... Then again I have a thing for pediatric emergency neurosurgeons that specialize on the left lobe of the brain on children ages 3-7.
 
Not a pre-med technically, but here you go:

In physics lab my junior year, working in a group including two freshmen physics majors. One says, "so this is probably in the ultra violent spectrum."
Me: "You mean ultra violet?"
Other guy: "No, ultra violent, like it's really intense."

Believe it or not, I've heard nearly the same thing at a university known for its brilliant scientists. Only in this case "ultra-violent" was said directly to a famous professor during a lecture. Awkward!
 
Not a pre-med technically, but here you go:

In physics lab my junior year, working in a group including two freshmen physics majors. One says, "so this is probably in the ultra violent spectrum."
Me: "You mean ultra violet?"
Other guy: "No, ultra violent, like it's really intense."

I'm afraid I probably also thought it was ultra-violent at some point in my past.

"When you're in med school don't you practice anatomy on other students?"

I died laughing when I overheard this in class.

Well, the answer is often yes, but when it goes sour you then spend the rest of your four years avoiding that person.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was actually told by an EM program director that they look closely at applicants with 250+ to make sure they aren't freaks.

A member of my pre-health committee told me, right as we finished the interview, that she was soooo happy that I was normal and had a personality after seeing my numbers (it was the first time she met me).
 
(Discussion with a Junior Pre-med during an Ecology lab).
Me: Dave, how's studying going for that MCAT? All set to take it at the end of April?
Dave: I moved it back to July. Figured it wouldn't make a difference, and then I won't have to start studying until June at least.
Me: Oh... well good luck with that. I would probably start studying a little earlier. Where do you think you're wanting to apply.
Dave: I'm only aiming for the best... Harvard.
Me: .... Just.... Harvard?
Dave: Yah. I only want to go to the best.
Me: That's very.... ambitious of you. I hope it works out for you! How's your gpa...?
Dave: Solid 3.6. It's definitely good enough I think.
Me: And how many physicians have you shadowed/clinical experience?
Dave: I shadowed one.... But what's clinical experience?
Me: (explained clinical experience) How about volunteering or leadership or research? You're set in those areas right?
Dave: I volunteered a lot in High School. I'm in an honor society (One of those GPA only honor societies), AND I'm started helping a projessor with a project a few weeks ago.

This is the description of 95% of the pre-meds at my school. Haha
 
(Discussion with a Junior Pre-med during an Ecology lab).
Me: Dave, how's studying going for that MCAT? All set to take it at the end of April?
Dave: I moved it back to July. Figured it wouldn't make a difference, and then I won't have to start studying until June at least.
Me: Oh... well good luck with that. I would probably start studying a little earlier. Where do you think you're wanting to apply.
Dave: I'm only aiming for the best... Harvard.
Me: .... Just.... Harvard?
Dave: Yah. I only want to go to the best.
Me: That's very.... ambitious of you. I hope it works out for you! How's your gpa...?
Dave: Solid 3.6. It's definitely good enough I think.
Me: And how many physicians have you shadowed/clinical experience?
Dave: I shadowed one.... But what's clinical experience?
Me: (explained clinical experience) How about volunteering or leadership or research? You're set in those areas right?
Dave: I volunteered a lot in High School. I'm in an honor society (One of those GPA only honor societies), AND I'm started helping a projessor with a project a few weeks ago.

This is the description of 95% of the pre-meds at my school. Haha

Not to pick on you specifically, but the thread is entitled "Funny quotes from 'less informed' premeds," and many posts are neither funny nor quotes, but instead holier-than-thou, snarky horsesh*t.

At least so it seems to me.
 
Not to pick on you specifically, but the thread is entitled "Funny quotes from 'less informed' premeds," and many posts are neither funny nor quotes, but instead holier-than-thou, snarky horsesh*t.

At least so it seems to me.

I don't think it's holier-than-thou. This kind of post fulfills the point of the thread: it shares with the forum quotes from people who are "less informed" (i.e. clueless). This guy thought a 3.6 and not much else could get him into Harvard? He's either completely ignorant or absolutely self-entitled. Either way, it makes for a good chuckle.
 
Not to pick on you specifically, but the thread is entitled "Funny quotes from 'less informed' premeds," and many posts are neither funny nor quotes, but instead holier-than-thou, snarky horsesh*t.

At least so it seems to me.

I never meant to be snarky. I simply found humor in the whole "I have a 3.6 and no EC's, and am only applying to Harvard" philosophy. I figured others would at least be somewhat entertained as they read it. You didn't find the entertaining quality in this, so I apologize. I will work on my humor.
 
I never meant to be snarky. I simply found humor in the whole "I have a 3.6 and no EC's, and am only applying to Harvard" philosophy. I figured others would at least be somewhat entertained as they read it. You didn't find the entertaining quality in this, so I apologize. I will work on my humor.

Lol, I laughed. It made me feel better. Your humor is 👍
 
I would be willing the bet, the ones who take such pride in talking about pre-meds were the pre-meds who did this type of stuff. Seems alot of yall had a problem in the development of the genes responsible for social skills.
 
I would be willing the bet, the ones who take such pride in talking about pre-meds were the pre-meds who did this type of stuff. Seems alot of yall had a problem in the development of the genes responsible for social skills.

(Posts this after reading multiple quotes of his on this thread)
 
I would be willing the bet, the ones who take such pride in talking about pre-meds were the pre-meds who did this type of stuff.

And sure, why not? Some of the best jokes to laugh at are the ones in which you've done said silly action yourself. Like the "You Might Be a Redneck" jokes.

My sole contribution to this thread in regards to a funny-dummy situation is one where I am the dork.

And for the record, I too used to say "ultra-violent".

...

Until I was like 10. 😉
 
I am the only one who's reminded of "A Clockwork Orange" when they see the term "ultra-violent"?

Edit: Wrong use of whose vs. who's
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am the only one whose reminded of "A Clockwork Orange" when they see the term "ultra-violent"?

Nope, I'm right there with ya, buddy--I can hear Singing in the Rain as I type this up. 👍

I just figured no one else in the forum would get my allusion and regrettably abstained. It's one of my favorite movies. Props for what I hope is great taste in cult classics. (I say that because, while Stanley Kubrick is well known in film, it's this film's notoriety that seems more prevalent among physicians than its merit as a film based on the book's underlying philosophical implications of classically conditioning criminals against their will.)
 
Nope, I'm right there with ya, buddy--I can hear Singing in the Rain as I type this up. 👍

I just figured no one else in the forum would get my allusion and regrettably abstained. It's one of my favorite movies. Props for what I hope is great taste in cult classics. (I say that because, while Stanley Kubrick is well known in film, it's this film's notoriety that seems more prevalent among physicians than its merit as a film based on the book's underlying philosophical implications of classically conditioning criminals against their will.)

Just watched a clockwork orange like 2-3 months ago!
 
Time for a bump. This isn't a premed story but it's related. My cousin sent me a text saying she got into medical school. I had no idea she had applied interviewed or anything so I was a little taken aback. She said she was going to an academy of allied health to be a medical administrative assistant and clinical medical assistant. I just don't have the heart to tell her it's not medical school
 
Our school put on an interview workshop for the undergrads. I was doing a mock interview with a sophomore (she's a ways from applying, but she came to the event anyway):

Me: So have you thought about what specialty you might want to do?
Premed: [without hesitation] Oh I want to be a pediatric cardiothoracic surgeon.
Me: 😕 Why?
Premed: Because I like kids and I like hearts! :shrug: 😛
 
Status
Not open for further replies.