Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You realize YOU are WRONG, right? While it is quite uncommon anymore, it is not impossible to get in with less than a bachelor's as many schools still have a "90 unit" requirement and confer a BA/BS upon graduation with the MD for those students who enter as college seniors. This was much more common 30 yrs ago but still happens and is something some schools are actually considering doing more often now to help ease the physician shortage in the long run. (Yes, getting physicians out into practice sooner will help to meet demand over time....) More commonly, schools will take the "or equivalent" part of their requirement to allow a student w/ 120 units but no formal degree to matriculate (usually in exceptional cases where the person's UG failed to offer the required class in the spring of sr yr as anticipated).

Practically-speaking, you were probably correct in his case since it is unlikely he'd get in with the minimum, but it is possible....

Quoting angldrps's post here as an example of something funny an uninformed premed said/wrote.

The other poster has already pointed out that you are wrong.

As far as ignorant pre-med statements go..... his really wasnt that bad. After a quick googling of "college of medicine requirements"...

U Florida: http://admissions.med.ufl.edu/admission-requirements/regular-admission-requirements/

Applicant must receive a Bachelor’s degree, from a Council on Higher Education accredited institution prior to matriculation in the University of Florida College of Medicine.

U Illinois: http://www.medicine.uic.edu/UserFil...dmissionsFiles/Admission Requirements 1.1.pdf

Minimum Degree (Required): A baccalaureate degree must be earned prior to the anticipated enrollment.

Looks like Baylor only requires 90 hrs...

To be honest, I did not know that you could be considered without completing your degree. In terms of ignorant comedic value, this is not nearly as golden as the kids who talk about going to med school because they want to be a hygienist or something silly like that.
 
To be honest, I did not know that you could be considered without completing your degree. In terms of ignorant comedic value, this is not nearly as golden as the kids who talk about going to med school because they want to be a hygienist or something silly like that.

True, I simply pointed that out because the kid wasn't actually wrong despite that poster claiming so strongly that he was. I didn't find it all that funny on either end.

So at a school's rejected applicant review session with the Director of Admissions, we had a few gems:


Director of Admissions: [Yada yada yada about the importance of updating your application for the following cycle and making significant changes to your ECs to give them reason to reconsider you]
Rejected Pre-Med #1: "Since I didn't get in this year, do you think I should rewrite my Personal Statement and Secondaries before reapplying here?"

Director of Admissions: "We don't really care why you want to come to [our school]. We care about your reasons for becoming a doctor. Whether you come here or to any other US medical school, you will be a physician treating patients.... I want to see that you will do anything to become a physician."
Rejected Pre-Med #2: "If I were to only apply to [your school] and told you so, would that increase my chances of getting in?"
Director of Admissions: [w/ an expression of slight shock after what she just said] "Umm... No, it would get you immediately rejected. It would communicate to me and the Committee that you only want to stay in [our state] and are not ready to be a physician." :laugh:


Also... these things don't stop when you go to medical school...

In the middle of discussing a disease process completely unrelated to reproduction...
Female Med Student: "What about testicles?"
(FYI, she's an awesome person but may want to get her hearing checked :laugh:)
 
Uniformed post bac kid talking to a bunch of freshman premeds: "Don't go on SDN. The only people on there are super neurotic kids who whine about getting 44s instead of 45s on their MCATs."

Me: "Whatevs, man, SDN can be pretty helpful. Just don't ever say 'MCATs' on SDN, they get mad about that."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Uniformed post bac kid talking to a bunch of freshman premeds: "Don't go on SDN. The only people on there are super neurotic kids who whine about getting 44s instead of 45s on their MCATs."

Me: "Whatevs, man, SDN can be pretty helpful. Just don't ever say 'MCATs' on SDN, they get mad about that."

MCATs is only a problem when someone's talking about "taking my MCATs next week" or "studying for the MCATs" or some other phrase where the plural is inappropriate. Since they were discussing multiple students taking multiple tests...MCATs isn't really used incorrectly.

And yah, SDN is pretty neurotic 🙄
 
MCATs is only a problem when someone's talking about "taking my MCATs next week" or "studying for the MCATs" or some other phrase where the plural is inappropriate. Since they were discussing multiple students taking multiple tests...MCATs isn't really used incorrectly.

And yah, SDN is pretty neurotic 🙄

Lol you just illustrated his point

unless you did it on purpose, then props. canttelloverinternet.jpg
 
MCATs is only a problem when someone's talking about "taking my MCATs next week" or "studying for the MCATs" or some other phrase where the plural is inappropriate. Since they were discussing multiple students taking multiple tests...MCATs isn't really used incorrectly.

And yah, SDN is pretty neurotic 🙄

And with many of the neurotics on SDN, MCATs for a single test taker isn't inaccurate either since they'll be taking it multiple times. :meanie:
 
Premeds are way more neurotic than med students and residents. I heard someone saying that the application process destroyed neuroticism.
 
Premeds are way more neurotic than med students and residents. I heard someone saying that the application process destroyed neuroticism.

Nah, I think it's still there. It's largely that once you're in, there's an attitude that the majority of us are "in" and will get what we want, since the majority of us have ZERO interest in Derm, etc. For those like myself who are interested in more moderately-competitive specialties (e.g., EM) or primary care, there's no need to work so hard to be at the top. There is also the simple fact that medical school involves a bunch of super-smart people who are all being challenged to their max. It's no longer like you can just "try harder" and end up at the top of the class (or slack and just up with a B-average). However, people who are "gunning" for Derm oftentimes are more intense about things and you can often it in them.
 
This isn't something a pre-med said but its related... I figured I would finally go to the biology department and see if I'm allowed to speak with a pre-med advisor since I'm applying next year (I'm a non science major so I don't have free access like everyone else). I didnt see anyone in the secretary area so I ask a nearby professor..

Me: Is the secretary in today? I have a question about pre-med advising.
Professor: She's not here, what's you're question. *sounds extremely grumpy*
Me: Can you direct me to the pre-med advisor?
Professor: Well I can but you're gonna be digging a deep hole. *chuckles*
Me: 😕 I don't follow.
Professor: She's dead. For about 5 years now.
Me: 😱 I'm so sorry to hear that
Professor: What did you wanna ask her?
Me: Well I wanted to know if I'm eligible for the health careers program for minorities
Professor: You're not eligible.
Me: May I ask why not?
Professor: Because you're not black.
Me: 😕 Uhh.. yes I am.
Professor: ..... Well how am I suppose to know that with all that pale make up you have on.
Me: 😕 I'm not wearing make up.
Professor: Well that's not my problem, I have to go to class.
Me: 🙄

This is my school lol
 
This isn't something a pre-med said but its related... I figured I would finally go to the biology department and see if I'm allowed to speak with a pre-med advisor since I'm applying next year (I'm a non science major so I don't have free access like everyone else). I didnt see anyone in the secretary area so I ask a nearby professor..

Me: Is the secretary in today? I have a question about pre-med advising.
Professor: She's not here, what's you're question. *sounds extremely grumpy*
Me: Can you direct me to the pre-med advisor?
Professor: Well I can but you're gonna be digging a deep hole. *chuckles*
Me: 😕 I don't follow.
Professor: She's dead. For about 5 years now.
Me: 😱 I'm so sorry to hear that
Professor: What did you wanna ask her?
Me: Well I wanted to know if I'm eligible for the health careers program for minorities
Professor: You're not eligible.
Me: May I ask why not?
Professor: Because you're not black.
Me: 😕 Uhh.. yes I am.
Professor: ..... Well how am I suppose to know that with all that pale make up you have on.
Me: 😕 I'm not wearing make up.
Professor: Well that's not my problem, I have to go to class.
Me: 🙄

This is my school lol

What is this? I don't even... 😕 I would have walked out so confused lol
 
This isn't something a pre-med said but its related... I figured I would finally go to the biology department and see if I'm allowed to speak with a pre-med advisor since I'm applying next year (I'm a non science major so I don't have free access like everyone else). I didnt see anyone in the secretary area so I ask a nearby professor..

Me: Is the secretary in today? I have a question about pre-med advising.
Professor: She's not here, what's you're question. *sounds extremely grumpy*
Me: Can you direct me to the pre-med advisor?
Professor: Well I can but you're gonna be digging a deep hole. *chuckles*
Me: 😕 I don't follow.
Professor: She's dead. For about 5 years now.
Me: 😱 I'm so sorry to hear that
Professor: What did you wanna ask her?
Me: Well I wanted to know if I'm eligible for the health careers program for minorities
Professor: You're not eligible.
Me: May I ask why not?
Professor: Because you're not black.
Me: 😕 Uhh.. yes I am.
Professor: ..... Well how am I suppose to know that with all that pale make up you have on.
Me: 😕 I'm not wearing make up.
Professor: Well that's not my problem, I have to go to class.
Me: 🙄

This is my school lol

W. T. F.!? Okay, okay, I must share something similar, but unrelated to med/pre-med.

As some of you know from reading my profile and/or MDApps, I grew up in a really rough area in Los Angeles and transplanted to the Southeast to escape ganglife for high school. Wheylp, I ended up moving farther and farther away from civilization, ending up in a very small town at a lone county "Senior" high school. We still had your gamut of social clubs (think 90s, though): Punks, goths, band geeks, but the majority were jocks/cheerleaders.

Anywhoo, one of my punk friends came to school one day with dreads. We, his friends, were all very excited, but soon to go berserk in protest: The principal comes by and in a very, very Southern accent and says, "We ain't haven no wHite boys with hair like that in this 'schoo'!!!!!" :uhno: They actually made the kid shave his head. I was flabbergasted. I was like, "Why the hell didn't you call the ACLU!?" No response. To this day I still can't get over this and many other stories.
 
Last edited:
W. T. F.!? Okay, okay, I must share something similar, but unrelated to med/pre-med.

As some of you know from reading my profile and/or MDApps, I grew up in a really rough area in Los Angeles and transplanted to the Southeast to escape ganglife for high school. Wheylp, I ended up moving farther and farther away from civilization, ending up in a very small town at a lone county "Senior" high school. We still had your gamut of social clubs (think 90s, though): Punks, goths, band geeks, but the majority were jocks/cheerleaders.

Anywhoo, one of my punk friends came to school one day with dreads. We, his friends, were all very excited, but soon to go berserk in protest: The principal comes by and in a very, very Southern accent and says, "We ain't haven no wHite boys with hair like that in this 'schoo'!!!!!" :uhno: They actually made the kid shave his head. I was flabbergasted. I was like, "Why the hell didn't you call the ACLU!?" No response. To this day I still can't get over this and many other stories.

These two stories are horrible, but they make me laugh because people called us "uncultured" living outside a town of 350 people. Lol
 
W. T. F.!? Okay, okay, I must share something similar, but unrelated to med/pre-med.

As some of you know from reading my profile and/or MDApps, I grew up in a really rough area in Los Angeles and transplanted to the Southeast to escape ganglife for high school. Wheylp, I ended up moving farther and farther away from civilization, ending up in a very small town at a lone county "Senior" high school. We still had your gamut of social clubs (think 90s, though): Punks, goths, band geeks, but the majority were jocks/cheerleaders.

Anywhoo, one of my punk friends came to school one day with dreads. We, his friends, were all very excited, but soon to go berserk in protest: The principal comes by and in a very, very Southern accent and says, "We ain't haven no wHite boys with hair like that in this 'schoo'!!!!!" :uhno: They actually made the kid shave his head. I was flabbergasted. I was like, "Why the hell didn't you call the ACLU!?" No response. To this day I still can't get over this and many other stories.

highschool administration is largely a bunch hacks who are on power trips, compensating from being bullied in the 70s, or not currently teaching gym 👍

If I have kids, I will take particular pleasure in telling a HS admin to stuff it for bogus practices like this.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sittin in the commons room while a debate about marijuana goes on

Pre-med: Bro THC has been proven to induce neurogenesis
Engineer: Maybe but it's a stretch to say it "makes you smart"
Pre-med: Dude, listen, trust me, im a pre-med....etc..etc..
 
Sittin in the commons room while a debate about marijuana goes on

Pre-med: Bro THC has been proven to induce neurogenesis
Engineer: Maybe but it's a stretch to say it "makes you smart"
Pre-med: Dude, listen, trust me, im a pre-med....etc..etc..

Jajaja, I'm gonna start using that line with the ladies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can teach you some time if you'd like 🙂


Oh snap

😆 Have you ever looked at a K-space image?

img_full_29498.gif


And even K-space is calculated - raw machine data is even more abstract.
 
No. I had to Google it and wiki sounded like it was a fancy word for the final image. 👍😀

What does the raw stuff look like?

I've never visualized it. (Picture of K-space above.)

You are getting raw signal from various coils and depending on the sequence and the coils it calculates K-space - many sequences intentionally under sample and fill in gaps, along with more complicated stuff.

K-space is then a simple transform into the spatial domain.

Even CT scans use some variations of Fourier transforms to get from raw data to final image, IIRC.
 
I've never visualized it. (Picture of K-space above.)

You are getting raw signal from various coils and depending on the sequence and the coils it calculates K-space - many sequences intentionally under sample and fill in gaps, along with more complicated stuff.

K-space is then a simple transform into the spatial domain.

Even CT scans use some variations of Fourier transforms to get from raw data to final image, IIRC.

I would assume so. If I understand, them correctly the FT is just a way of teasing out individual wave functions from a summation of waves. Basically anything except transmission and reflection type imaging will need it.
 
these are too funny! lol i could read them all day

I was taking the MCAT and we were waiting outside to go into the building:

person 1: hey we took i together last time
person 2: yea. thats cool. Howd you do last time?
person 1: pretty good. Got a 17.
person 2: (turns red) 17?
person 1: yea. My goal is 20.

person 2 just walked away and said to me "wtf just happened? lol"

I hope that was a joke lol
 
these are too funny! lol i could read them all day

I was taking the MCAT and we were waiting outside to go into the building:

person 1: hey we took i together last time
person 2: yea. thats cool. Howd you do last time?
person 1: pretty good. Got a 17.
person 2: (turns red) 17?
person 1: yea. My goal is 20.

person 2 just walked away and said to me "wtf just happened? lol"

I hope that was a joke lol

future podiatrist?
 
these are too funny! lol i could read them all day

I was taking the MCAT and we were waiting outside to go into the building:

person 1: hey we took i together last time
person 2: yea. thats cool. Howd you do last time?
person 1: pretty good. Got a 17.
person 2: (turns red) 17?
person 1: yea. My goal is 20.

person 2 just walked away and said to me "wtf just happened? lol"

I hope that was a joke lol

maybe they were going for podiatry school?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I always feel bad for posting in this thread, but sometimes I can't help it. So I was in microbio lab the other day and we have to identify some isolates we obtained from a soil sample. My pod-mate walks in and we have this conversation:

Her: Ahhhh this is so hard! I think I know what my isolate is but a paper I read made me question it. I think I have Staphylococcus aureus.

Me: Oh Staph aureus! That would make sense. It's pretty ubiquitous in nature so I suppose you could have isolated it.

Her: Yeah. Idk though. It causes gangrene so it's probably not it.

Me: Um...I think you mean that it CAN cause gangrene in very rare cases of infection. It's actually a very common commensal in humans. Statistically, one of us has Staph aureus in our nose right now (motion to other lab partner).

Her: Yeah, that's the nose though. If it gets on your skin it causes gangrene.

Me: Uh...sure. :banghead:
 
Last edited:
I always feel bad for posting in this thread, but sometimes I can't help it. So I was in microbio lab the other day and we have to identify some isolates we obtained from a soil sample. My pod-mate walks in and we have this conversation:

Her: Ahhhh this is so hard! I think I know what my isolate is but a paper I read made me question it. I think I have Staphylococcus aureus.

Me: Oh Staph aureus! That would make sense. It's pretty ubiquitous in nature so I suppose you could have isolated it.

Her: Yeah. Idk though. It causes gangrene so it's probably not it.

Me: Um...I think you mean that it CAN cause gangrene in very rare cases of infection. It's actually a very common commensal in humans. Statistically, one of us has Staph aureus in our nose right now (motion to other lab partner).

Her: Yeah, that's the nose though. If it gets on your skin it causes gangrene.

Me: Uh...sure. :banghead:

Lucky labmate...I ended up with some unclassified species that seemed to be from a poorly studied genus mostly populated with extremophiles. Guess that's what I got for picking one that grew under anaerobic and (reasonably) high saline conditions! But hey, it was bright orange and distinctive; how could I resist?!? :laugh:
 
Lucky labmate...I ended up with some unclassified species that seemed to be from a poorly studied genus mostly populated with extremophiles. Guess that's what I got for picking one that grew under anaerobic and (reasonably) high saline conditions! But hey, it was bright orange and distinctive; how could I resist?!? :laugh:
images
 
Status
Not open for further replies.