Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
+6.02 x 10^23

AvocadoPhoto.jpg

yum :p

P.S. An equal sign signifies an equivalence relation. Since lim as x-->8 of 1/(x-8) is equivalent to infinity, the limit does exist, and it is sideways 8.

There are different types of infinity sure but that doesn't really get relevant until you're taking proof-based classes involving sets and subspaces and such

as X approaches 8, x-8 is always a negative number. The limit would exist if the equation said (8-x) - a positive number - but it doesnt. The limit is undefined as written.

:lol: I was wondering if you were actually going to follow the laws of our gods. :highfive: The SDN gods shall be kind to you this academic year.

It was the major reason I posted in the first place :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a non-trad applicant (29 yrs old). Quick summary. I am from Mexico. Reynosa, yes, the cartel infiltrated Reynosa, Tamaulipas in Mexico. I came to the US. Dropped out of high school, got involved in gangs, drugs and resulted in my home being invaded by men with riffles and robbed. All my friends went to prison, and I luckily survived unscathed. I met my spouse of 10 years. We had a boy, i got my GED and 3 years ago I went hard at University classes. I am now graduating and I applied at only 3 schools (DO). 1 waitlist, i acceptance and 1 interview this Friday. I have no criminal record obviously. I am now a peaceful family man and happy. I have a 3.9 gpa and 24P mcat (9BS, 6VR, 9PS). Research pub at Mayo Clinic and UTHSCSA. I might retake mcat I might not. I might apply MD, I might not. I originally intended to apply to the 2014 cycle, but since i realized I kicked ass in undergraduate at an extreme pace, I became eligible for early graduation this summer. Also I did not realize AACOMAS deadlines are later than AMCAS, so I gave the application a shot in late Feb. I am from Texas so it is in my best interest to apply TMDSAS.

I have always been a bit prudent about my past. But this post has made me realize how many people can be encouraged and or possibly benefit.

You know I was once in the Bloods. But then I found out the Crips had a better dental plan. :rolleyes:

That's my favorite less informed, d-bag quote of all time, hands-down. Way to insult someone that overcame insane odds.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20098538,00.html

And what gave you the idea that what I posted was an insult In anyway?
Because it insulted me. I have a very similar story. It's the first post in all of my time on SDN that something hit my nerve enough to counter. That says a great deal.

That's my favorite less informed, d-bag quote of all time, hands-down. Way to insult someone that overcame insane odds.
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20098538,00.html

Agreed. And, wow, that guy is awesome. A total inspiration for ppl like me.

And what gave you the idea that what I posted was an insult In anyway?

it was totally a d-bag post...

Because its the word equivalent of this photo:
gang_sign1.jpg

Awesome!

Because it insulted me. I have a very similar story. It's the first post in all of my time on SDN that something hit my nerve enough to counter. That says a great deal.

I didn't mean to insult anyone in anyway with that post.

And If I did insult you I'm sorry, That wasn't the purpose of the post. It was just a joke.

I feel that people on SDN take things way to seriously, no matter the topic. That's the reason I try to limit myself from posting because the things I say will probably not be amusing to others.

Again sorry If I insulted you.

And If I did insult you I'm sorry, That wasn't the purpose of the post. It was just a joke.

I feel that people on SDN take things way to seriously, no matter the topic. That's the reason I try to limit myself from posting because the things I say will probably not be amusing to others.

It wasn't a very good joke

Very insensitive. :(

At the very least, you should be supportive of your fellow member.

Last edited:

Apology accepted, thank you.

It'll get back on track. Just give it time.

I'll help.

Found out today that a girl I used to know got into med school and will start this year. On her Facebook page, it says "Studying Trauma Surgery at _____ School."

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I'll help.

Found out today that a girl I used to know got into med school and will start this year. On her Facebook page, it says "Studying Trauma Surgery at _____ School."

:what:

Honestly, words literally failed me. I feel like enough of a douche just adding my to be school to my fb page.

To what degree, if any, have graduating medical students (late in the 4 year) studied trauma surgery?

I'll help.

Haha well at least she got in... but ya here's another case of someone who's well off...

I guy I know was telling me that since he's in a conditional acceptance program, it's going to be a huge + when applying to other medical schools :laugh:

Another girls asked me if majoring in human physiology will make her stand out (most of the pre med students major in human biology).

I feel like enough of a douche just adding my to be school to my fb page.

Yeah, I was actually wondering about this. When is it appropriate to add my school to my fb page? A couple weeks before classes start, or should I wait until first day of class?

Yeah, I was actually wondering about this. When is it appropriate to add my school to my fb page? A couple weeks before classes start, or should I wait until first day of class?

+1

Funny but I was thinking the same....Prolly wont till I actually start.

:what:

Honestly, words literally failed me. I feel like enough of a douche just adding my to be school to my fb page.

To what degree, if any, have graduating medical students (late in the 4 year) studied trauma surgery?

Is that quote from the dragon giving advice to Grendel? I loved that book! Can't believe i remember that quote. Had to do my IB Oral Presentation on that.

Is that quote from the dragon giving advice to Grendel? I loved that book! Can't believe i remember that quote. Had to do my IB Oral Presentation on that.

You're right--it is a quote from that elusive Gardener novel! One of my favs as well :)

From an old thread, but more related to medical students:

First-year students at Med School were receiving their first anatomy class with a real dead human body. They all gathered around the surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet.The professor started the class by telling them, "In medicine, it is necessary to have 2 important qualities as a doctor. The first is that you not be disgusted by anything involving the human body." For an example, the Professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the butt of the corpse, withdrew it and stuck his finger in his mouth. "Go ahead and do the same thing,"! he told his students. The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes, but eventually took turns sticking a finger in the butt of the dead body and sucking on it. When everyone had finished, the Professor looked at them and told them, "The second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle finger and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention."

This wasn't premed, but definitely less informed. I saw a patient (with a normal O2 sat) who kept asking the doc if he could get oxygen. The doc started to explain that he didn't think that was necessary when the nurse piped in, "actually, we have 21% oxygen piped right into the hospital." The patient was amazed. "21% oxygen?! Even right here?!" The nurse nodded. Even as we walked out of the room the patient was talking about how he thought that was so cool. I don't think any of us had the heart to tell him what the nurse meant...

I was in a group interview for a volunteering gig, and we were going around answering questions like "why do you want to volunteer here, which department would you want to work in/why, etc..." one girl replies "I would love to do the [essentially social work with the families of cardiac patients] job because it will help me decide whether I'm going to do adult or pediatric cardiac surgery."

Whoa, calm yourself...you're a freshman in college! You are not yet deciding between those 2 specialties, you're just not. Also, telling the families how to find sleeping quarters and transportation will not help you decide this.

"Yeah, i'm going to apply this year. Since I didn't study that much for the MCAT I am only going to apply to MD schools in Massachusetts that don't get a lot of applicants so that I will be guaranteed to get in."

She was dead serious :laugh:

• Haha
"Yeah, i'm going to apply this year. Since I didn't study that much for the MCAT I am only going to apply to MD schools in Massachusetts that don't get a lot of applicants so that I will be guaranteed to get in."

She was dead serious :laugh:

She's right. HMS has a very large IS bias.

From an old thread, but more related to medical students:

First-year students at Med School were receiving their first anatomy class with a real dead human body. They all gathered around the surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet.The professor started the class by telling them, "In medicine, it is necessary to have 2 important qualities as a doctor. The first is that you not be disgusted by anything involving the human body." For an example, the Professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the butt of the corpse, withdrew it and stuck his finger in his mouth. "Go ahead and do the same thing,"! he told his students. The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes, but eventually took turns sticking a finger in the butt of the dead body and sucking on it. When everyone had finished, the Professor looked at them and told them, "The second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle finger and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention."
Fictional, but a great and hilarious story nonetheless. :thumbup:

This wasn't premed, but definitely less informed. I saw a patient (with a normal O2 sat) who kept asking the doc if he could get oxygen. The doc started to explain that he didn't think that was necessary when the nurse piped in, "actually, we have 21% oxygen piped right into the hospital." The patient was amazed. "21% oxygen?! Even right here?!" The nurse nodded. Even as we walked out of the room the patient was talking about how he thought that was so cool. I don't think any of us had the heart to tell him what the nurse meant...
I had a patient who insisted she couldn't breathe without her oxygen turned up from 2 lpm to 3 lpm every time she got up to go to the bathroom, so every time she called I'd bend down and pretend to fiddle around with it and she'd go. Then when she came back I'd pretend to fiddle around with it again while she sat there looking vindicated.

however, from the department of stupid pre-med quotes...I can't remember the exact conversation but there was a girl in my EMT class who told everyone she was going back to school to become a cardiothoracic surgeon. She was still taking all her prereqs so I thought it was putting the cart before the horse a wee bit.

I mean, I honestly don't know it's fictional with certainty; but I can't imagine a professor being that disrespectful to a cadaver to make a flagrant point, you know? How do you know it's true?

It strikes me very much like an urban/medical legend. No prof would be that disrespectful to a donor (as you said) and there are a slew of issues with exposing students to cadaver fecal material like that. It would also be kinda hard to not see the slimy poopy finger next to the one he is licking, even if curled back, as I am sure everyone is paying very close attention at that point. The story might as well have started "Three med students walk into a bar..."

Reactions: 1 users
It strikes me very much like an urban/medical legend. No prof would be that disrespectful to a donor (as you said) and there are a slew of issues with exposing students to cadaver fecal material like that. It would also be kinda hard to not see the slimy poopy finger next to the one he is licking, even if curled back, as I am sure everyone is paying very close attention at that point. The story might as well have started "Three med students walk into a bar..."
Yep, urban/medical legend was my initial presumption. :shudder: ". . . slimy poopy finger next to the one he is licking . . . " LoL

I'm in a similar situation. I'm the first in my family to pursue anything beyond undergrad, and I am often referred to as a doctor and asked to diagnose rashes or a cough or various pains. It's amazing to me no matter how many times I tell them that I am not even close to being a doctor yet and the only medical advise (other than first aid) they will get from me is "GO SEE A REAL DOCTOR!"

Ah yes, and I am slated to cure Rheumatoid Arthritis. Good luck to you in your respective fields, sir or madame. :laugh:

I get a facebook message every few weeks--folks heralding from my past--asking about a wheeze, ache, limp, or bodily discordance. Never mind that my profile clearly states that my last bit of education was "Pre-medical Sciences" during my post-bacc stint.

...I always ask them to seek actual medical advice.

Fictional, but a great and hilarious story nonetheless. :thumbup:

I agree

That ain't fictional.

yes it is.

When they hit their heads on the bar, did it leave a bruise? Maybe they should have paid more attention to what was in the way of where they were walking. Now I can understand one student doing that, but the other two should have seen the first one and rushed to his aid to administer first aid. :laugh:

Yep, urban/medical legend was my initial presumption. :shudder: ". . . slimy poopy finger next to the one he is licking . . . " LoL

yuck

Let's put this to rest. The first time I heard that story was over 20 years ago when I was in undergrad. It was an old story back then, that always started with a friend of mine had a cousin, that knew someone that was there...

Unless you were there when a professor did it, and saw it with your own eyes, it is an urban legend.

dsoz

Status
Not open for further replies.