Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A) she is right, having additional degrees does make you a better applicant. Duh.

B)I suppose it is funny that people who don't know about residency. Though there are way worse examples of being naive.

I don't think that "more degrees" includes an AA. lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
*nice guy at Starbucks sees me reading Robbins*
"Whoa, that book is crazy...what are you reading?"
"Oh it's Pathology, I'm in med school."
"Wow, what are you majoring in?"
"Oh I'm in med school, so I'll be getting a doctorate of medicine."
"Ok, so do you think you'll be going into pharmacy, or what?"
"Haha no, I'll be a doctor when I graduate. I'm thinking about going into... *blabla*"

The guy was super nice, but I get this stuff all the time.

*nice guy at Starbucks sees me reading Robbins*
"Whoa, that book is crazy...what are you reading?"
"Oh it's Pathology, I'm in med school."
"Wow, what are you majoring in?"
"Oh I'm in med school, so I'll be getting a doctorate of medicine."
"Ok, so do you think you'll be going into pharmacy, or what?"
"Haha no, I'll be a doctor when I graduate. I'm thinking about going into... *blabla*"

The guy was super nice, but I get this stuff all the time.

As a general rule (not sure it would have made much difference with the trajectory of this particular conversation), I would just stop telling people you're in med school. Otherwise, the next question could easily be "what do you think about this rash" or "let me tell you about my personal and family medical history because you're obviously not busy with other things."

As a general rule (not sure it would have made much difference with the trajectory of this particular conversation), I would just stop telling people you're in med school. Otherwise, the next question could easily be "what do you think about this rash" or "let me tell you about my personal and family medical history because you're obviously not busy with other things."

It is for this very reason that I try to avoid admitting "I'm a Dermatologist" to people I meet.

Solution: No matter the ailment, always advise a rectal exam. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup...I would go with "always advise an ectomy"
I know that's not how you'd phrase it, but that's how my mom said it growing up...any time I tried to whine about something hurting, she'd just go "well, guess you need an ectomy!" and I would run away and stop complaining.

Originally Posted by thesauce

It is for this very reason that I try to avoid admitting "I'm a Dermatologist" to people I meet.

Yeah, never say that you're a proctologist. You'd never know what they may lean over and show you. :D

This one courtesy of yours truly.

Here's me discussing "Hot Lights, Cold Steel" with a friend:

Me: "I just finished 'Hot Lights, Cold Steel' by Michael Collins. He's a former chief resident in Osteopathic Surgery at Mayo..."

*Immediate Facepalm*

In my defense, Osteopathic and Orthopedic are long words that both start with O...

Me: "I just finished 'Hot Lights, Cold Steel' by Michael Collins. He's a former chief resident in Osteopathic Surgery at Mayo..."

*Immediate Facepalm*

In my defense, Osteopathic and Orthopedic are long words that both start with O...

I wouldn't feel too bad, I hear many of my pre-med peers make the same mistake :)

Interesting thread.

Lots of clueless premeds. Many of them have even posted in this thread. :shifty:

Some points:
-I am one of those who has said "neurology" when meaning "neuroscience" or "neurophysiology". What can I say? "Neurology" is just a simple, short word that everyone understands.
-It is possible to place in the 100th percentile on the ACS exams. AFAIK, they only give whole-number percentiles, so anything better than a 99.5 is rounded up to 100.

I have a couple stories I might add here at a later date.

My friend once said he'd rather become a physician-scientist than become something ridiculously easy, like a cardiologist.

Any time anyone asked me what I was studying in grad school and I said neuroscience the response almost always was "oh, so you're going to be a neurosurgeon?!"

:rolleyes:

I was in a clinical research internship at Mayo a few years ago, and one of the other interns asked the group, "So, do you guys think being a doctor is more like House or Grey's Anatomy?"

I replied, "Neither, I hope."

About half of the group then began a serious discussion about whether med school was actually more like House or Grey's.

I was in a clinical research internship at Mayo a few years ago, and one of the other interns asked the group, "So, do you guys think being a doctor is more like House or Grey's Anatomy?"

I replied, "Neither, I hope."

About half of the group then began a serious discussion about whether med school was actually more like House or Grey's.

Yeah but which is it

And thank (insert relevant deity or non-deity) for that! Although, that backwards chest xray killed me for 8 seasons. LoL

The show was about a bunch of bumbling interns and then bumbling residents... Isn't having a backwards xray a part of that shtick? I mean, at least for the pilot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

The show was about a bunch of bumbling interns and then bumbling residents... Isn't having a backwards xray a part of that shtick? I mean, at least for the pilot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

No, it was a genuine mistake by production staff and was eventually noticed and left alone as an inside joke to those that realized the cardiac silhouette was backwards. They made a big deal about correcting it in that horrid "season" 9.

But it did fit the shtick and still bugged the hell out of me. LoL

Interesting thread.

Lots of clueless premeds. Many of them have even posted in this thread. :shifty:

Some points:
-I am one of those who has said "neurology" when meaning "neuroscience" or "neurophysiology". What can I say? "Neurology" is just a simple, short word that everyone understands.
-It is possible to place in the 100th percentile on the ACS exams. AFAIK, they only give whole-number percentiles, so anything better than a 99.5 is rounded up to 100.

I have a couple stories I might add here at a later date.

wow dude, they are like, so ****ing clueless man. how dare they not know this??

wow dude, they are like, so ****ing clueless man. how dare they not know this??

SERIOUSLY

I mean what are we? The production crew of Scrubs? Or a bunch of premeds posting random things on the internet?

*Immediate Facepalm*

How is that book? I've been wanting to pick it up.

Why does everyone in this thread have such giant avatars?

I should donate some money...

They said I could not have the "red spaceship" and to "deal with it."

So I became a Gundam 🐨.

I'm pretty sure AgentB only counts as a "they" if you include all of the voices in his head. Then again, sometimes they post extended convos with themselves, so maybe that's a valid metric in this case :laugh:

I'm pretty sure AgentB only counts as a "they" if you include all of the voices in his head. Then again, sometimes they post extended convos with themselves, so maybe that's a valid metric in this case :laugh:
:laugh:

Hmmm..... Maybe Perhaps DID "they"..... :smuggrin:

Zing!!! Bada bing!!!

Now you just need the coveted "rocket scientist" badge.

But Srsly? Gimmie that physician and faculty badge. Screw the physics. LoL

Zing!!! Bada bing!!!

But Srsly? Gimmie that physician and faculty badge. Screw the physics. LoL

Is that only for PhDs? Because if so I really regret not majoring in MAE just for the badge :(

Status
Not open for further replies.