Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A conversation I had with Indian pre-med

PreMed: Man that orgo test was hard.
me: I thought you took this class over the summer.
PreMed: I failed so I have to retake
me: You realize you need a good grade for med school?
PreMed: It's cool, I'll just go to the Caribbean :D Besides my brother is paying for it anyways.
me: O_O

You know with DO schools you have grade replacement right. Having to retake a classes isnt a death sentence

Members don't see this ad.

Is that only for PhDs? Because if so I really regret not majoring in MAE just for the badge :(
tumblr_mkn1cd039h1s0hia6o1_500.gif

Zing!!! Bada bing!!!
You mean badazingas.....?

While standing in the OR, shadowing a Neurosurgeon a youngish looking girl walks in.

Me: You shadowing too?
PM: Ya! I'm going to be a Neurosurgeon!
Me: Oh really? How old are you?
PM: I'll be a Senior in High School next year, I have a 4.6 GPA.
Me: *rolls eyes* thinking: Here we go
Me: So the cutting and blood doesn't bother you?
PM: Not really. Once they are on the operating table they aren't really people anymore
Me: O_O thinking: I need to get away from her, this bitch is a psychopath

In her defense, a decent amount of success in surgery depends on being able to disconnect emotionally with the patient and look at them more objectively.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In her defense, a decent amount of success in surgery depends on being able to disconnect emotionally with the patient and look at them more objectively.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again -

Eh...I'd say there's a difference between torturing a "thing" while it's conscious and trying to fix a "thing" while it's knocked out...

Me and a friend blissfully gazing at the pretty garden while enjoying our lunches by the patio on a bright sunny day. Then all of a sudden.....

Pre-M: *walks up* So you're one of 'em orgo tutors, correct?

Me: Uhmm... uh...yes!?! How may I help you?

Pre-M: Well you see the textbook say this.... and professor says that... but I've heard to always go w/ur gut when it comes to ochem. My exam is tomorrow morn'. (...shows the problem)

Me: BTW, that carbon of yours has 6 covalent bonds... just pointing that out there. (...then proceeds to explaining why)

Pre-M: OK that’s not what I am here for.

Me: *speechless* (o_0 in my mind)

Pre-M: Anywhoo... what I am trying to ask here is did the publisher make a mistake? (...points at problem)

Me: You do realize that's a transition state, right?

Pre-M: Huh? No. I think you may be wrong. Look, this compound over here has 2 SOLID lines + dash & wedge. But the molecule I am trying to make sense of has 3 DOTTED lines + dash & wedge.

Me: The dotted lines are not actual bonds....

Pre-M: OK. But Dr. so-n-so says that besides dashes/wedges the other lines, any other lines in fact, are assumed to be on the same plane as the page.

Me: *speechless* (...in my mind)

To be continued...

Last edited:
A conversation I had with Indian pre-med

PreMed: Man that orgo test was hard.
me: I thought you took this class over the summer.
PreMed: I failed so I have to retake
me: You realize you need a good grade for med school?
PreMed: It's cool, I'll just go to the Caribbean :D Besides my brother is paying for it anyways.
me: O_O

These are usually the "statistics" who fail out of for profit schools :smuggrin:

Not premed but still funny:

Friend: so med school is 7 years with that residency thing?

Me: if I do what I'm planning, yes...some specialties are more

F: bump that bro, just be a radiologist

M: ????

F: then it's only 2 years

M: no, it's not

F: my friend is a radiologist...she went to (names community college) in 2 years and makes as much as a doctor makes

M: she's not a radiologist then, and no she doesn't make doctor money

F: dude, she's a radiologist

M: not with an AA she's not, a radiologist is a doctor

F: you don't know what you're talking about, I'll bet you lunch...

M: done (and my lunch will taste good)

F: my friend is a radiologist...she went to (names community college) in 2 years and makes as much as a doctor makes

Did you enjoy that lunch?

Prolly a rad technician or technologist

-It is possible to place in the 100th percentile on the ACS exams. AFAIK, they only give whole-number percentiles, so anything better than a 99.5 is rounded up to 100.

I wouldn't know personally, since I scored a lowly 86th percentile on the ACS, but wouldn't rounding to 100 basically break the definition of a percentile?

That would essentially be saying: You scored higher than 100% of people that sat for that exam, apparently including yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a thing naive premeds say, but something I've heard a lot (and it pisses me off)

Business-school guy that I just met: Hey man, nice to meet you. What are you majoring in?

Me: Majoring in Neuroscience, gonna apply to medical school eventually.

B-school guy: oh cool, cool. Doesn't that take forever?

Me: Yeah, I mean, it can ----

B-school guy interrupts me: Yeah man it definitely does. God I work long hours now, it's sooooo annoying but I'm making bank so it's sweet.

I. Hate. Finance. Douchebags.

/end vent

:thumbup:

most of my friends are Business majors (not finance) and always ask why I study so much......They all study the night before tests and have a 3.5+ GPA. Definitely not the smartest cookies either

Re: rad techs, this happened Fri night while I was on trauma...

While finishing shock trauma reception of motorcycle MVA pt and conducting Social Hx before shipping to CT:

Res: Whatdya do for work?

Pt: I'm the director of radiology at [private hosp].

::entire team of residents, students, nurses, techs, and attending with dumbfounded look::

Attending Trauma Surg: Ask him if he's an MD.

Res: Are you and MD?

Pt: No.

Attending: RT ::shrugs & leaves unamused::

::rest of team with an "Oh, nvm" look::

Kinda funny and sad at the same time.

LMFAO!!!!!!! Yes!
I think there is a big difference between being able to objectively work on a person versus dehumanizing them completely. There has to be that little voice in the back of your head saying, don't **** up, this is a living human being, if you **** up they die.

+1
tumblr_mkn1cd039h1s0hia6o1_500.gif

You mean badazingas.....?

Lmao.
While standing in the OR, shadowing a Neurosurgeon a youngish looking girl walks in.

Me: You shadowing too?
PM: Ya! I'm going to be a Neurosurgeon!
Me: Oh really? How old are you?
PM: I'll be a Senior in High School next year, I have a 4.6 GPA.
Me: *rolls eyes* thinking: Here we go
Me: So the cutting and blood doesn't bother you?
PM: Not really. Once they are on the operating table they aren't really people anymore
Me: O_O thinking: I need to get away from her, this bitch is a psychopath
Oh hellz no! :uhno:
Is that only for PhDs? Because if so I really regret not majoring in MAE just for the badge :(

The Rocket Scientist badge? I'm not sure, but *think* it's only for PhDs...

. . .

/end vent
+1

I wouldn't know personally, since I scored a lowly 86th percentile on the ACS, but wouldn't rounding to 100 basically break the definition of a percentile?

That would essentially be saying: You scored higher than 100% of people that sat for that exam, apparently including yourself.

If they don't report decimals what else can they do? I've definitely seen 100 %ile reported before (not for this ACS exam but for others) and always understood it to mean 95.5+.

If they don't report decimals what else can they do? I've definitely seen 100 %ile reported before (not for this ACS exam but for others) and always understood it to mean 95.5+.

I stand corrected then.

Either way, in my OP, the guy claiming to have 100th percentile was an idiot and just wanted to feel superior to everyone.

I stand corrected then.

Either way, in my OP, the guy claiming to have 100th percentile was an idiot and just wanted to feel superior to everyone.

Oh most definitely. Reminds me of this girl at one of my interviews who I overheard as she sat down next to this guy while we were all waiting. She very loudly struck up the following conversation:

Her: So, how many interviews have you had so far?
Him: This is my first one.
Her: Oh that's cool. This is my 14th (!!!!!)

It's like... first of all, no it isn't. Second of all, nobody cares.

This one isn't a pre-med quote, and it isn't even med school related but I thought it was kind of relevant. I started a new job a while back and this guy I work with has a daughter about my age who's in law school. This is how I found that out:

Him: So yeah, my daughter's in law school
Me: Nice, she must be really smart.
Him: Well, she's not in that great of a law school or anything, I mean, it's okay I guess.
Me: Oh? Where does she go?
Him: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Me: ... isn't that top 10?
Him: Actually it's top 5.

I think there is a big difference between being able to objectively work on a person versus dehumanizing them completely. There has to be that little voice in the back of your head saying, don't **** up, this is a living human being, if you **** up they die.

Obviously. I don't think the "less informed" premed really meant that you shouldn't care about patients once they are on the operating table - why else would you do the surgery in the first place? My impression was that she meant that since they are not conscious, it isn't like normally interacting with another person anymore (as it is with many other doctors who rely on medical history, etc.).

Oh most definitely. Reminds me of this girl at one of my interviews who I overheard as she sat down next to this guy while we were all waiting. She very loudly struck up the following conversation:

Her: So, how many interviews have you had so far?
Him: This is my first one.
Her: Oh that's cool. This is my 14th (!!!!!)

It's like... first of all, no it isn't. Second of all, nobody cares.

I had 16 interviews last year... That's not farfetched at all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Wow you had 16 interviews by September? I'm just astounded.

Oh, just by the end of September? Left that part out. By then I had completed 10. Still, not that crazy.

Oh, just by the end of September? Left that part out. By then I had completed 10. Still, not that crazy.

I know it wasn't clear, but that wasn't really the point...

Yeah, by the end of September last year I had attended 7 interviews, turned down 5 others, been accepted at 5 schools and wait listed at 2. Not entirely far fetched to have had 14 interviews. Not very likely at all, but not impossible.

Edit:
I had only applied to DO schools so that kind of helped me be done that early too. Lol

Yeah, by the end of September last year I had attended 7 interviews, turned down 5 others, been accepted at 5 schools and wait listed at 2. Not entirely far fetched to have had 14 interviews. Not very likely at all, but not impossible.

Edit:
I had only applied to DO schools so that kind of helped me be done that early too. Lol

Okay since apparently it wasn't clear, the point was it's rude and pretentious to go up to somebody and loudly brag about how many interviews you've had, whatever the number. I do think saying you've been to over a dozen that early stretches credulity, but I'm so glad you guys have seized the opportunity to convince me otherwise.

I had 16 interviews last year... That's not farfetched at all.

Y no MDApps? :(
Okay since apparently it wasn't clear, the point was it's rude and pretentious to go up to somebody and loudly brag about how many interviews you've had, whatever the number. I do think saying you've been to over a dozen that early stretches credulity, but I'm so glad you guys have seized the opportunity to convince me otherwise.
I was pickin' up what you were puttin' down.

PickachuIFeelYouBro_zps954183ed.gif

Finally, someone gets it. :thumbup:

"Try this out, I picked this up from my guy, it's called mind rape. It's actually pretty mellow."

-Doesn't sound mellow.

"He had 3 other batches, ughh, Gorilla Panic, They're coming They're coming, and something called "this is permanent""

"Try this out, I picked this up from my guy, it's called mind rape. It's actually pretty mellow."

-Doesn't sound mellow.

"He had 3 other batches, ughh, Gorilla Panic, They're coming They're coming, and something called "this is permanent""

so there's this thing called youtube.....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoWgqy45d84[/YOUTUBE]

The Rocket Scientist badge? I'm not sure, but *think* it's only for PhDs...

Not to bring up an old thing, but I could've sworn it was for anyone who majored in Engineering or physics for undergrad. There's no way all these people that have it are PhDs. That's what the PhD badge is for lol

Not to bring up an old thing, but I could've sworn it was for anyone who majored in Engineering or physics for undergrad. There's no way all these people that have it are PhDs. That's what the PhD badge is for lol

Don't know about that. My undergrad degree is in eng'g. lol

Re: rad techs, this happened Fri night while I was on trauma...

While finishing shock trauma reception of motorcycle MVA pt and conducting Social Hx before shipping to CT:

Res: Whatdya do for work?

Pt: I'm the director of radiology at [private hosp].

::entire team of residents, students, nurses, techs, and attending with dumbfounded look::

Attending Trauma Surg: Ask him if he's an MD.

Res: Are you and MD?

Pt: No.

Attending: RT ::shrugs & leaves unamused::

::rest of team with an "Oh, nvm" look::

Kinda funny and sad at the same time.

Man. They don't think much of DOs, do they?

Man. They don't think much of DOs, do they?

Ouch! :/

Hmm, good point re: the PhD badge, never really thought about that since they're fairly few and far between.

Yes the rocket badge is for physics degrees and engineers also I believe.

My mom: so and so's son is going to ophthalmology school
Me: you mean optometry school? Ophth is medical school
Mom: Well hes going to be an eye surgeon
Me: oh ok so did he match into a residency then?
Mom: No he's starting this year
Me: Oh so he WANTS to be an ophth..
Mom: No he did research with eyes so he's guaranteed to be an ophth...why dont you just do PA. That's what so and so says.
Me: Love you mom I have to go

Status
Not open for further replies.