Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the rocket badge is for physics degrees and engineers also I believe.

My mom: so and so's son is going to ophthalmology school
Me: you mean optometry school? Ophth is medical school
Mom: Well hes going to be an eye surgeon
Me: oh ok so did he match into a residency then?
Mom: No he's starting this year
Me: Oh so he WANTS to be an ophth..
Mom: No he did research with eyes so he's guaranteed to be an ophth...why dont you just do PA. That's what so and so says.
Me: Love you mom I have to go

lol I go through this with my mom too. "B's son is doing a master's degree and she said the admissions process was not that bad, why don't you just do a master's in medicine?"

Members don't see this ad.

lol I go through this with my mom too. "B's son is doing a master's degree and she said the admissions process was not that bad, why don't you just do a master's in medicine?"

I've given up trying to convince my family that I don't need a masters to get into medical school. Even my acceptance won't convince some of them

I've given up trying to convince my family that I don't need a masters to get into medical school. Even my acceptance won't convince some of them

Members don't see this ad :)

Isn't a "master's in medicine" called PA?

Getting into PA school is about the same level of difficulty as MD/DO school. The PA school near me requires a huge number of clinical hours, 2000 hours. That is more clinical experience than most of my MD classmates have. The PA program also requires about the same prerequisite classes as the MD program (O-chem is recomended, but not required).

The biggest difference is they have to take a GRE instead of the MCAT.

Isn't a "master's in medicine" called PA?

Getting into PA school is about the same level of difficulty as MD/DO school. The PA school near me requires a huge number of clinical hours, 2000 hours. That is more clinical experience than most of my MD classmates have. The PA program also requires about the same prerequisite classes as the MD program (O-chem is recomended, but not required).

The biggest difference is they have to take a GRE instead of the MCAT.
PA school is actually pretty variable. I've seen programs, such as Touro-CA, that have a 3.2 average, but I've seen others that have a 3.6. Not all programs have the same requirements, with a minority asking for O.Chem and most asking for Anatomy and Physiology. Talented people go to Medical School and PA school. Usually they go for different reasons to each, so I'd be wary of comparing.

PA school is actually pretty variable. I've seen programs, such as Touro-CA, that have a 3.2 average, but I've seen others that have a 3.6. Not all programs have the same requirements, with a minority asking for O.Chem and most asking for Anatomy and Physiology. Talented people go to Medical School and PA school. Usually they go for different reasons to each, so I'd be wary of comparing.

Amen, reverend! :thumbup::)

I believe at Iowa PAs actually take at one year if not two of classes right with medical students.

Somehow this thread went from funny quotes to PA vs. MD

Strong work

Student: "I am working on my associates in radiology, like to be a tech. I am thinking about going ahead and finishing the bachelors so I can be a radiologist, I think they make more money."

Student applying to med school: " I have a 3.5 GPA, and 26 MCAT, thats like the average, so I don't see why I wouldn't get in to IU".
Same student (reapplying the following year) "I retook the MCAT and went from a 26 to a 25, med schools just take the highest score right?"
Same student "I got denied at IU, so I think I'm going to apply to Case Western because they have like 80% OOS acceptance."

Student: "I am working on my associates in radiology, like to be a tech. I am thinking about going ahead and finishing the bachelors so I can be a radiologist, I think they make more money."

Student applying to med school: " I have a 3.5 GPA, and 26 MCAT, thats like the average, so I don't see why I wouldn't get in to IU".
Same student (reapplying the following year) "I retook the MCAT and went from a 26 to a 25, med schools just take the highest score right?"
Same student "I got denied at IU, so I think I'm going to apply to Case Western because they have like 80% OOS acceptance."

To be fair, the first guy DOES need a bachelor's to be a radiologist, then 9 or 10 more years

Back to the mom or Mother-in-law thing.

Wife "did you hear Ken got into medical school"
Mother-in-law "yes you guys told us he was going to do that"
Wife" Yeah but he actually got accepted"
Mother-in-law "well Im glad he got his application in on time."

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Back to the mom or Mother-in-law thing.

Wife "did you here Ken got into medical school"
Mother-in-law "yes you guys told us we was going to do that"
Wife" Yeah but he actually got accepted"
Mother-in-law "well Im glad he got his application in on time."

Boomer mentality. You can do whatever you want as long as you willing to try.

Boomer mentality. You can do whatever you want as long as you willing to try.

You really think it's a generational thing? I figure it's more that some people just have no idea how it works/how competitive it is/think it's the same thing radiology techs go through

Reactions: 1 user
When I was in a rad tech associates program, we all had to stand up and say why we chose that program. One girl stood up and proclaimed she had always wanted to be a radiolgist. After explaining that's a completely different job and schooling, she said she get the associates and move on to a bachelor's after that. She failed introductory radiographic anatomy that semester and was removed from the program.

When I was in a rad tech associates program, we all had to stand up and say why we chose that program. One girl stood up and proclaimed she had always wanted to be a radiolgist. After explaining that's a completely different job and schooling, she said she get the associates and move on to a bachelor's after that. She failed introductory radiographic anatomy that semester and was removed from the program.

Wow. Any idea what she's doing now?

The worst:

When I'm doing like 15 hour days in the library, and maybe my mom won't hear from me for a few days so she'll text me:

Mom; "YankeeBean, how's the studying going?"
Me: Miserably (or some other loathesome comment)
Mom: "Are you sure your not taking on too much, trying to get into medical school?"

This has to be one of the greatest threads on SDN.

I'm here asking myself if I was ever this dumb (or still am, who knows). It took me about 3 seconds to remember how in high school I'd tell everyone I wanted to apply to UCSF (for undergrad) to major in Cardiology. I didn't realize it was a med school until my cousin (who matriculated at UCSF) gave me the 411. Yep.

You really think it's a generational thing? I figure it's more that some people just have no idea how it works/how competitive it is/think it's the same thing radiology techs go through
Boomers are the most entitled and least hard working people I have ever met. Back in their day all they needed to do to go to college was apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Boomers are the most entitled and least hard working people I have ever met. Back in their day all they needed to do to go to college was apply.

I'd say the current generation fits that description far better. Med school fiends are a tiny subset of our generation and generally don't fit the mold.

The worst:

When I'm doing like 15 hour days in the library, and maybe my mom won't hear from me for a few days so she'll text me:

Mom: "Are you sure your not taking on too much, trying to get into medical school?"

o_O Just wait til med school.

The worst:

:confused:

This

Apparently every medical student gets a complimentary high horse after being in medical school for 2 months.

Allow me take foot to ground and expand the elusive meaning of that statement. It is great to be a disciplined student in UG. However, the time requirements of undergrad pale in comparison to time requirements of medical school (even the first two months). Ftr, it's not a case of being on a high horse, but counterintuitively, of being newly humbled. You'll see. :D

Hrmmm....my engineering classmates that have gone onto medical school have said the workload in medical school is comparable or slightly less than an undergraduate chemical engineering curriculum :shrug:

Hrmmm....my engineering classmates that have gone onto medical school have said the workload in medical school is comparable or slightly less than an undergraduate chemical engineering curriculum :shrug:

Yeah thats kinda what im expecting. My hubby is a cheme and during undergrad he spent upwards of 60 hrs a week on classes and studying

There's some subjectivity in there, I'm sure. I was a psych major (and basically a bio major) who worked full time during UG. I'd never have spent even 10 hours in the library. Engineering? Probably a way different story, I.e., less difference between UG and med school time demand.

Touch- how'd your interview go?

Last edited:
Allow me take foot to ground and expand the elusive meaning of that statement. It is great to be a disciplined student in UG. However, the time requirements of undergrad pale in comparison to time requirements of medical school (even the first two months). Ftr, it's not a case of being on a high horse, but counterintuitively, of being newly humbled. You'll see. :D

There's some subjectivity in there, I'm sure. I was a psych major (and basically a bio major) who worked full time during UG. I'd never have spent even 10 hours in the library. Engineering? Probably a way different story, I.e., less difference between UG and med school time demand.

So that's where the problem is. Your major's too typical. :flame:

Physics and engineering are extraordinarily complex and time-consuming. So medicine will likely be comparable in difficulty (or even less since the critical thinking aspect isn't (hopefully) abstract like it is in physics).

+1...billion.

Apparently every medical student gets a complimentary high horse after being in medical school for 2 months.

Is that one of those cute little horsies with the stick and reigns so you can play ride it around the house, neighing? :p

Very well (and respectfully) said.

Absolutely true. Med school definitely isn't harder for everyone.

And the resulting envy will you make you rather salty...unless of course you ARE that lucky duck.

I thought it went well (at the end one of the interviewers straight up said I did an excellent job) and I totally fell in love with DMU.

They did bring up my low MCAT tho and i really hope that doesn't hold me back :scared:

Absolutely true. Med school definitely isn't harder for everyone.

Mine and most of my friends experience on comparing undergrad to med school:

Med school is absolutely, unequivocally more work, but less hard overall because you've accepted the fact that you have to devote your life to studying and don't have the social pressure from family, friends, and classmates to go out and goof around or do extracurriculars. It's the difference between having 40 hrs/week of studying then fitting it into 5 days because you have volunteering, shadowing, and research on the weekend vs. doing 60 hours of studying in 7 days because your life is a b*tch to medicine.

Medical school is definitely a different experience for each person. Many of us come from different backgrounds, so some struggle more than others. I completely agree with Guero though that it can make you envious at times watching other people seemingly skate through the curriculum. After awhile, I just had to stop worrying about other people and what they are or aren't doing and just focus on myself. This can be tough at times because the whole process of getting into medical school is a game of comparisons, so it is tough to alter that mindset. However, I think it has helped change my attitude about school a little avoiding these comparisons.

Last edited:
My ex got into DMU with an 18 on the MCAT.

Whoa, your ex is an African American Indian with a LOR from the surgeon general and previous astronaut experience? Cool!

It shouldn't. My ex got into DMU with an 18 on the MCAT.

Not exactly typical, add about ten points then it's about average for DMU. All that aside though, I hope you get that call touchpause!

Something resembling a sentence?

demotivational-posters-jazz-hands.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.