Funny quotes from "less informed" premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My elementary school was so tough we played dodge ball with pool balls the gym teacher stole from the bar across the street.

...I think I have a crush.

Members don't see this ad.

Come to think of it, I did learn my bones in the 4th and 5th grade as well. In PE class.

Bones and muscles. :eek:

First of all, that link must be from a really ****ty elementary school, because in mine we had to know all of the bones except the names of the specific carpals/tarsals and a few of the skull bones (e.g. vomer, ethmoid, lacrimal...the small ones and the ones you can't see from the outside.)

Second, I think anything that gives you an introduction to the vocab style and the basic building blocks (because really, all of the structures outside of the abdominal cavity are generally described in relation to the bones) of a subject is a good beginning, even if it's nowhere near sufficient on its own. It certainly doesn't hurt, even if it doesn't help much

Third, 'lawyering you up' would be appropriate here, since my original comment was pretty much just a snarky 'well he's technically correct' type thing until everyone got so bent over it. :rolleyes:
lol do you honestly believe you're going to convince anyone here that you remember 5th grade curriculum in this detail? I googled the standard 5th grade bones curriculum and that's what came across at many schools, but it's okay, I understand you went to Harvard Elementary School.

At least your avatar is right. Your brain did kill me because..
be7.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll play.

I was telling a freshman about how historically difficult the anatomy class is at our UG college..

Him: "I'm really not too worried, I learned the names of bones when I was in 5th grade, so I should be pretty well set."

Me: .....

I've created a monster. Sorry, folks..

I've created a monster. Sorry, folks..

This isn't your fault. I got the joke and enjoyed it. However, some premeds have no other work to do but to instigate some off-topic debate that turned out to be a flame war.

Anyhow, here's a funny one I got from an old thread:

How many *gunner* pre-meds does it take to screw in a light bulb?
- Just the one who steals it and makes sure nobody else can get their hands on it.

This isn't your fault. I got the joke and enjoyed it. However, some premeds have no other work to do but to instigate some off-topic debate that turned out to be a flame war.

Anyhow, here's a funny one I got from an old thread:

How many *gunner* pre-meds does it take to screw in a light bulb?
- Just the one who steals it and makes sure nobody else can get their hands on it.
Nice!

Here's an oldie but goodie:

"I'm just going to get an MD/PhD. They pay for ALL of your schooling. So of course I'm getting an MD/PhD, there is no reason not to!"

First of all, that link must be from a really ****ty elementary school, because in mine we had to know all of the bones except the names of the specific carpals/tarsals and a few of the skull bones (e.g. vomer, ethmoid, lacrimal...the small ones and the ones you can't see from the outside.)

Second, I think anything that gives you an introduction to the vocab style and the basic building blocks (because really, all of the structures outside of the abdominal cavity are generally described in relation to the bones) of a subject is a good beginning, even if it's nowhere near sufficient on its own. It certainly doesn't hurt, even if it doesn't help much

Third, 'lawyering you up' would be appropriate here, since my original comment was pretty much just a snarky 'well he's technically correct' type thing until everyone got so bent over it. :rolleyes:

Mine was awesome not some ****ty school where you gotta learn the bones at 5th grade. That is messed up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure 95% of my classmates had the attention span of a goldfish in fifth grade. Then again, not all of us lowly peasants could afford to attend the prestigious gunner elementary school for future pre-meds :D.

In 5th grade I was mastering my skills with Beyblades. According to this guy, I was dumb.

I was pwning newbs with my dragon deck in WalMart Yugioh competitions. If I'm understanding the line of thinking, I guess I should be a CIA threat analyst.

"Will being a DO limit my ability to specialize? I'm only interested in plastic surgery." - Some guy interviewing at a DO school.

That's an idiotic thing to say at a DO interview but I'm sure he got his answer.

Here's your high horse comment:

You do a crazy week of studying like what? Once a semester? Take that week, and stretch it over about 10 months. That's just MS1. Welcome to med school. And yes, I god damn love it.

take it easy superhero.

according to med students, med school is the most difficult and stressful thing in the world and no one who hasnt been there before could possibly understand the trials we go through

its not that bad, i came here a bit in undergrad, got worried about the amount of work i need to put in, got in and realised its maybe 1.5 - 2x the work of undergrad ( which really wasnt too much anyway ). you might actually do a 15 hour sesh once a month if that, the ones who do it more often are either gunners, are struggling with content or are just those people who do heaps of work so they can brag about how much work theyve done.

take it easy superhero.

according to med students, med school is the most difficult and stressful thing in the world and no one who hasnt been there before could possibly understand the trials we go through

its not that bad, i came here a bit in undergrad, got worried about the amount of work i need to put in, got in and realised its maybe 1.5 - 2x the work of undergrad ( which really wasnt too much anyway ). you might actually do a 15 hour sesh once a month if that, the ones who do it more often are either gunners, are struggling with content or are just those people who do heaps of work so they can brag about how much work theyve done.

9/10 superheros confirm.

This is an uninformed general public deal. My hubby trying to explain why he wants a job transfer

Husband: my wife just got into medical school in iowa so we are looking to move.

Work guy: Oh so like a 1 year program?

H: no... it's 4 years

WG: so an MD program?

H: well, no its a DO program but she would be doing the same stuff as an MD

WG: what's a DO?

H: :smack:

Texting my misinformed fried.

Him - Do you know anyone who works on DNA recombination, etc.
Me - No. Why don't you try the McNair Scholars Program?
Him - That's aimed more for grad school, "cushioning for a thesis." I want something geared toward med school.
Me - :uhno:

Edit - I'm not really sure what he meant, so someone clue me in plz.

Texting my misinformed fried.

Him - Do you know anyone who works on DNA recombination, etc.
Me - No. Why don't you try the McNair Scholars Program?
Him - That's aimed more for grad school, "cushioning for a thesis." I want something geared toward med school.
Me - :uhno:

Edit - I'm not really sure what he meant, so someone clue me in plz.

The program wants ppl who are interested in pursuing a PhD after undergrad. My school won't even let you apply if you're premed, unless you're an intended mstp slash md/phd. Maybe he meant one that was specific to clinical/medical research?

I was talking about wanting to go to med school with one of my lab TAs

Me: have you taken your MCAT yet?
TA: yeah. I got a 25. It's good enough to get in without any problems.
Me: yep. Thinking *so glad I don't blindly listen to my advisor*

This is an uninformed general public deal. My hubby trying to explain why he wants a job transfer

Husband: my wife just got into medical school in iowa so we are looking to move.

Well, this is the life you have chosen. Maybe they'll get it if they see you drive up in your new 30 grand sports car. :cool:

Depending where you live, MANY people have no clue what a DO is. But the med school being 1 year assumption is funny!

I was talking about wanting to go to med school with one of my lab TAs

Me: have you taken your MCAT yet?
TA: yeah. I got a 25. It's good enough to get in without any problems.
Me: yep. Thinking *so glad I don't blindly listen to my advisor*

Lolwut. Sry but that sucks he's your TA! Tsk tsk

Depending where you live, MANY people have no clue what a DO is. But the med school being 1 year assumption is funny!

It never stops amazing me how many people don't understand what medical school means. No its not a tech program or a nursing program. Maybe it's because im a girl?

It never stops amazing me how many people don't understand what medical school means. No its not a tech program or a nursing program. Maybe it's because im a girl?

Hate to say it, but that's partially the reason imo

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

I think it is as well. :shrug:

Whatever.
Just persuade your passion and naturally people around you will respect you. If they don't, they don't deserve you! (imo)

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Agreed. When I say I want to go to med school people always ask me what that means. I tell them it is "doctor school" and then they get it.

Reactions: 1 user
im stupid im going back to dental forums

Last edited:
Me : I was thinking lately, I might not go into dentistry, rather cardiology.
Friend: what time do you have class?
Me: In like 7 hours, but you know cardiology, the study of walking and running
right?
You're not stupid are you?
Friend: Yeah the cardio vascular system and ****
Me: yeah the study of walking
Friend: Yeah
Me: I mean I find the field indering, don't you?
Friend; Ehh, not so much but anytihng about the human anatomy seems to interest people
Me:yeah I love cardio
Friend: I like the brain more, neurlogy or w/e

??? Is this another "meta" example?

right?
Friend; Ehh, not so much but anytihng about the human anatomy seems to interest people

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

right?

What are this?

Agreed. When I say I want to go to med school people always ask me what that means. I tell them it is "doctor school" and then they get it.

I blame this on the proliferation of allied health personnel usurping the phrase medical school to describe their 1 year tech program at podunk community college.

Also, the number of folks actually going to a medical school is much smaller than this population so most people don't meet too many medical students. They meet/hear about far more student nurses, rad techs, lab techs, CNA's, physician assistants, etc.

I think it's the girl thing as well. Despite the fact that we make up pretty much half of the medical school population (at least at my school we do), the stereotypes still linger (even on this board, lol, as the default gender assumed is male). I went to the dentist the other day and I was studying my Netter's cards in the exam room while waiting (had a test the next day). He asked me if I was in Nursing school.

The program wants ppl who are interested in pursuing a PhD after undergrad. My school won't even let you apply if you're premed, unless you're an intended mstp slash md/phd. Maybe he meant one that was specific to clinical/medical research?

Incidentally, I'm applying to Carver and MPUS this summer...

I blame this on the proliferation of allied health personnel usurping the phrase medical school to describe their 1 year tech program at podunk community college.

Also, the number of folks actually going to a medical school is much smaller than this population so most people don't meet too many medical students. They meet/hear about far more student nurses, rad techs, lab techs, CNA's, physician assistants, etc.

I think it's the girl thing as well. Despite the fact that we make up pretty much half of the medical school population (at least at my school we do), the stereotypes still linger (even on this board, lol, as the default gender assumed is male). I went to the dentist the other day and I was studying my Netter's cards in the exam room while waiting (had a test the next day). He asked me if I was in Nursing school.
:laugh: A high percentage of what you said is true.

I would like to rant on about something that happened to me the other day. A therapist gave me attitude when I questioned my friend's progress, her response was: "Sir, you wouldn't understand anything about medicine, I went to medical school for this" and then she left swiftly.

/end of rant
storm-troopers+move+along.jpg

Why isn't dentistry a medical specialty? Seems like it's "more medical" than dermatology or pathology or even anesthesiology

Come at me bro

right?

Wtf?

right?

All your base are belong to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.