This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueFirez

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting..I usually lurk but I need some help. Please no trolls or insensitive people.

I went to a DO school and due to difficulties with boards and other personal issues, my education was extended for extra 2 years. So I finally finished it and was able to get my degree, thank God. But now that I have it - what next? I looked for open TRI spots and couldn't find anything available. I was hoping to get into psychiatry residency next year - and I know it will be tough due to have a lot red marks all over my application. So what can I do this year while applying to residency? I already sent my ERAS to some psych programs ( the other 12 seemed to be waiting for a single ACGME accreditation). I was hoping to find something that when interviews come ( I hope ) , that I have something to talk about with what I'm doing with my time. Unfortunately during the two years, it was just a vicious cycle of studying, failing and studying again...I'm so happy to be done, but at the same time I know I have a very weak application. This will now be my 3rd year away from clinical rotation ( unless there is some awesome externship in the NY/NJ area)

1) Should I take Level 3
2) What type of jobs am I qualified for that does not require extra months of training ( I don't have any research experience other than two published case studies, but I don't think that is enough for the necessary " prior research experience" for research assistant job
3) What mental health type volunteer opportunities can I find
4) Am I just screwed? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly can't comment on how to move forward with residency for you, but I do remember once upon a time reading a thread on SDN of someone who found some PA programs that accepted his/her med school coursework and allowed him/her to join a PA program, only completing the clinical portion of it (no classroom portion). Maybe look into that? You could practice as a PA, not a physician.