George Washington University Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medbound2004 said:
So about our $2,900 deposits due late june.....I guess that comes from mommy & daddy?

I WISH!!! There should have been a way for us to defer this deposit since we don't even have our financial aid yet. Any ideas anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

freddydpt said:
I WISH!!! There should have been a way for us to defer this deposit since we don't even have our financial aid yet. Any ideas anyone?

Maybe talk to the school? By the way, is the online financial aid form necessary for matriculation?

gschl1234 said:
Maybe talk to the school? By the way, is the online financial aid form necessary for matriculation?
my understanding of the form is that it is required if you are applying for institutional aid... I'd call the office there... both of the financial aid officers are REALLY nice and have helped me a ton already

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey GWUers,

I?ve just started to look for roommates/housing for next year. I called the admissions office today, and they didn?t seem to have a list of people looking for roommates yet, and for housing, all they had was the list of suggested websites. Has anyone heard any info on that? How is everyone?s searching going so far?

I?m so looking forward to August :D

AsherAysh said:
Hey GWUers,

I?ve just started to look for roommates/housing for next year. I called the admissions office today, and they didn?t seem to have a list of people looking for roommates yet, and for housing, all they had was the list of suggested websites. Has anyone heard any info on that? How is everyone?s searching going so far?

I?m so looking forward to August :D

www.craigslist.org - that's how I found my home - and my roommates are coincidentally going to be 1st years with us in August! I'll be in Clarendon which is only two stops from Foggy Bottom. There are lots of people listed on that site, good luck, can't wait to meet you!!!

i'm on the bittersweet waitlist.. keep ur fingers crossed for me! Congrats also :)

Crysma said:
i'm on the bittersweet waitlist.. keep ur fingers crossed for me! Congrats also :)

Hopin' to meet you in August - fingers and toes crossed for you! :D

Does anybody have any idea what GW's orientation weekend is like??? :D

Medbound2004 said:
Does anybody have any idea what GW's orientation weekend is like??? :D

I was wondering that too - we show up on the 18th but like, when's the white coat ceremony and when do classes actually start? I want to be able to tell my family where to be, since they're flying out for it (wcc).

Brickhouse said:
I was wondering that too - we show up on the 18th but like, when's the white coat ceremony and when do classes actually start? I want to be able to tell my family where to be, since they're flying out for it (wcc).
This is a pretty dumb question but what is a "white coat ceremony"? My understanding was that we have to buy our white coats ourselves so do when then turn them in to be handed back to us at a ceremony? :oops:

When I called the admissions office they said the white coat ceremony is on Friday August 20th in the evening. We should be receiving an orientation packet soon though.

Members don't see this ad :)
yalie_grad said:
When I called the admissions office they said the white coat ceremony is on Friday August 20th in the evening. We should be receiving an orientation packet soon though.

Thanks girl - can't wait! I don't really know what the white coat ceremony is but it sounds like fun!

Brickhouse said:
Thanks girl - can't wait! I don't really know what the white coat ceremony is but it sounds like fun!

Edited...upon re-reading my post, it was waaayyy too bitter even for my liking.

The white coat ceremony is really cool, get your relatives to come and take pictures of you in your new white coat. Buy a cute dress or something, enjoy it.

Buck Strong said:
Ahh, the white coat ceremony. That's when they take your money, your soul, your compassion and pretty much 3 years of your life (I hear 4th year is awesome) in exchange for an ill fitting little white coat which looks really cool at the time, until you realize it's a 1/4 shorter than everyone elses. It's usually followed by some refreshments, crackers and cheese, etc. Maybe a couple speeches from deans telling you how you're going to mold the future, and make a difference, when in reality, the smartest and brightest of your class will end up looking at skin or doing nose and boob jobs for millions, while the slackers of the class, who only study 7 hours a day and don't kiss enough ass, end up treating the sickest 95% of the population, just so they can pay off their loans, which have doubled due to interest.

Hehe, that's my rant of the day, actually the white coat ceremony is really cool, get your relatives to come and take pictures. Buy a cute dress or something, enjoy it. I'm just being bitter because I've been studying a little too long and I think my mind is slowly turning to jello pudding.

If I didn't know how you really felt Buck I would bust a cap in yo' a$$ - whatever you know you love med school, don't deny it. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know whether GW has some kind of "Careers in Medicine" or "Pathway Evaluation Program for Medical Professionals" program to help us determine what kind of residency we want to do?

Yup... there's a careers in medicine passcode that you need to get from the contact person at GW. You can get his email on the AAMC Careers in Medicine site. I would contact him myself but I don't want to bother anyone over the summer... but I'm eager as all hell to start pokin around on that site.

Thanks Freddy and Brick for those helpful posts.

The housing search is moving along. If any one is still looking for a roommate, give me a PM or an IM :)

I just got my GWMail account?now I?m getting all excited :D

How did you get your GW mail account. I also want to go ahead and get that set up. Did you get something in the mail or via email?

thanks and look forward to meeting everyone in the fall. I just got back from DC and finalized things with my apt. I love that city, and can't wait to live there.

For the GWMail account?

1) go to the med school web site
2) go to ?Current Students?
3) under ?E-mail? go to ?Create A New GWMail Account?
4) The system will ask you your b-day, SS#, and your preferred e-mail name (you get to make it up), and as long as you are accepted and registered in their system as an incoming student, it gives you the account.

I?ll be looking forward to e-mailing you all last minute biochemistry questions at 2am in the morning before our tests. It should be fun :D

Hey did you guys see that there are GW notes available on the web... not that I'll be studying them :rolleyes: , but I just thought it was neat. They're on the previous class year's web pages... so sink your teeth in for those who want to get ahead :laugh:

Hi everyone!!

I am so glad I found this message board! As of now, I will be going to GW in the fall! I am excited, but a bit nervous at the same time! I am also still unsure about which school to go to, did I make the right decision? It came down to GW vs. Albany...what do you guys think? I am also on several waiting lists and I liked all the schools!! (I am waiting on Loyola, NYMC, Medical College of WI). Any advice? What do you guys like about GW? I mean I know it is a great place, but for some reason I am second guessing myself...I need some reassurrance! Thanks for any advice you can give!!
:)

RachMD2B said:
Hi everyone!!

I am so glad I found this message board! As of now, I will be going to GW in the fall! I am excited, but a bit nervous at the same time! I am also still unsure about which school to go to, did I make the right decision? It came down to GW vs. Albany...what do you guys think? I am also on several waiting lists and I liked all the schools!! (I am waiting on Loyola, NYMC, Medical College of WI). Any advice? What do you guys like about GW? I mean I know it is a great place, but for some reason I am second guessing myself...I need some reassurrance! Thanks for any advice you can give!!
:)

I liked the people, the location, the technology and the large university resources. Almost everyone I met that went there loved it... they were happy and relaxed... two characteristics I hope to acquire during med school :)

So what did YOU like about GW when you visited?
What didn't you like?

I agree with Freddy. I'd also like to add something that the student interviewer brought to my attention. He said that being in DC gives you opportunites unavailable at other locations. He's doing research this summer (he's just finished first year) for a PI at the NIH and he got the job by (his his words) "just walking down the street and knocking on his [PI's] door."

Oh! Those are great things about the school! Thank you guys! :D My GW interview was my second and I walked away from it glowing! I called my parents and said "I AM GOING HERE!" because I absolutely loved it! The problem: I interviewed at 8 other schools afterwords and found that I liked them too!!! The others were more recent and thus, in the forefront of my mind. Hmmm...The main thing people tell me at this point is to go to a school in a location that I will enjoy and where I can see myself fitting in with the students. I have lived in the DC area for 2 years and I love it here! Did anyone find competitiveness at GW? Or arrogance? I want to be with fun, laid-back (if that is possible in med school! :laugh: ), and genuinely nice people....what do you guys think? What about residency placements? What have you heard? Thank you so much for the info!!

RachMD2B said:
I have lived in the DC area for 2 years and I love it here! Did anyone find competitiveness at GW? Or arrogance? I want to be with fun, laid-back (if that is possible in med school! :laugh: ), and genuinely nice people....what do you guys think? What about residency placements? What have you heard? Thank you so much for the info!!

I went to a few parties with first year meds while I was there. None of them were arrogant and ALL were laid back. Mucho fun! As far as genuinely nice people... I would talk to some of the SDN people who'll be going there... like me, or AsherAysh, or Medbound2004, or Brickhouse or other people on the forum. I've talked to a ton of people in our first year class and they are all nice so far.

Residency placement can be found at:
http://www.gwumc.edu/edu/admis/html/academics/residencies.html

Feel free to PM me or IM at freddydpt and we'll chat.
g'luck!

I loved the students when I visited GW. I was just sitting in the library (I was in my regular clothes), and three or four GW students came up to me, I said I was an interviewee, and they gave me their e-mail addresses and offered to answer any of my questions. It really gave me a good feeling about the student body?it really seems like the students there are nice and non-competitive. They also seemed very laid-back and very serious about partying, as far as med students go. My student interviewer thought it was a priority that a med student knows how to have a good time, so I definitely plan on focusing on that aspect next year :D

I also chose GW for its location. There are tons of research, medical, and political things going on in DC and it sounds like a fun place for people in their twenties. Also, I?ve heard that the population diversity of the area really makes for strong clinical training in the 3rd year given the high number of international diseases and violent crimes being treated in DC.

Also, Rach, my final decision was between Loyola and GW, so if you get off the WL at Loyola, give me an IM if you have any Qs. I have tons of stuff on how those two schools compare. Loyola seems like a great place, but I?m really happy with my choice.

I have spent two summers in DC and there are great places to hang out. Probably my favorite is Lauriol Plaza (17th and P streets, I think). Also close to school is the Brickskellar, a very fun bar (the world's largest collection of beer). Anywhere in Adams-Morgan is fun. In Dupont, 18th Street Lounge, Lucky Bar, Front Page (where all the interns hang out). DC has so many great places, we will never be bored as med students. see everyone in August!!!

Lets get our message board going again :) I have lived in DC (well the suburbs, if that counts!) for almost a year now, and I love it! There are a ton of fun places, things to do, people to see, etc. etc. So many opportunities for whatever you are in the mood to do! I am still looking for a place in the city, does anyone have any suggestions? Are people living in Virginia? I have a friend who just finished her first year at GW and she lives in VA and loves it! Apparently about half of the 2007 class lives there and the other half lives in the city. Are you guys nervous at all? I am definitely a little bit, but I'm also really excited!! :D

I'll be living in Arlington off of the Clarendon metro stop. I wanted to keep my car - we southern californians can't do anything without the security of our cars!! I found the closest Bed Bath and Beyond too. I'm so excited.

haha....

Brickhouse said:
I'll be living in Arlington off of the Clarendon metro stop. I wanted to keep my car - we southern californians can't do anything without the security of our cars!! I found the closest Bed Bath and Beyond too. I'm so excited.

haha....

That is a really good point, I am going to have a car too (I cant do anything without it either! :laugh: ). Where is the bed bath and beyond? I have to make sure to get an apt. near there as well!! :D

My husband and I will be living in VA. We're going to be looking at Falls Church or Ballston since he'll be working in Manassas (sp?), VA. I look forward to meeting all of you! :)

I will be living in Alexandria with my wife and daughter. It's only weeks away. See you all at orientation.

I'll be two blocks away from the med school in Foggy Bottom with a classmate of ours and a second year.

I can't wait. I'm so excited. Let's get it on! :)

BTW: Random comment, I saw Dodgeball tonight and its hilarious... go see it! ooo... med school dodgeball tourney... now there's a thought ;)

Hey, guys!
Ben Stiller's movies are hilarious, though I have yet to see Dodgeball. Any good words about "Envy," Fred? Another one on my list. Sounds like you are living over in my direction. 25th street, thereabouts?
gschl1234, Falls Church is a nice quiet city, I came from there to go to GW. Though Ballston is closer by one Metro stop.
I think one of the best things about orientation is having the white coat ceremony so early on, 3 days into being here! I think a lot of schools wait like a month or even more before they do that. Makes you feel like a doctor early on, to make up for that thing called constant studying.
For the record, I am not a gunner. Let all gunners come out in the open now. I do not have problems offering or asking for help from others. Am I alone?
McFadden's is also a cool spot, about 2 blocks from school.
Eugene

For those who are gonna be in D.C. early this summer, we should all plan to grab a drink or something.

After all, a doctor friend of mine tells me that if you are without any sins upon completing medical school, then you didn't study hard enough! :laugh:

Eugene

GWMD2B said:
I do not have problems offering or asking for help from others. Am I alone?
You're not alone; I don't have a problem with asking/offering help either :) I think rote memorization works best when studying with friends so you can quiz each other.

Look forward to seeing you there!

GWMD2B said:
Hey, guys!
Ben Stiller's movies are hilarious, though I have yet to see Dodgeball. Any good words about "Envy," Fred? ...

For the record, I am not a gunner. Let all gunners come out in the open now. I do not have problems offering or asking for help from others. Am I alone?
McFadden's is also a cool spot, about 2 blocks from school.
Eugene

Ok so Envy, IMHO, sucked... I was checking my watch throughout the movie to see when it would be over. However, Starsky and Hutch was *bleep*in' hysterical.

As far as the gunner thing... I got no probs helpin' or askin', althought I see myself pushing to do well and get honors.

Do you guys know if GW has a notes/transcript service at all?? Oh yeah, do you guys know if we can start using the gym/library the summer before classes start?

GWMD2B said:
For those who are gonna be in D.C. early this summer, we should all plan to grab a drink or something.

After all, a doctor friend of mine tells me that if you are without any sins upon completing medical school, then you didn't study hard enough! :laugh:

Eugene

I'm moving down July 2nd or 3rd. Who wants to do a pre-orientation get together?

Definitely up for a pre-orientation gathering.

Yeah, Starsky and Hutch was pretty funny, with Along Came Polly a slight second.

Eugene

"Hello, Peter. What's happening? UUUhhhh, are you gonna have those TPS reports for us today?"-Lumbergh, "Office Space"

freddydpt said:
Do you guys know if GW has a notes/transcript service at all??
At my interview the tour guide (Matt from the admissions office) said that they do but didn't elaborate as to how much it costs or how it operates.

I was just browsing through some of your posts and I can definitely answer a few questions since I'm almost a 3rd year.

1. Housing- Once you guys get your orientation packets (should be within the next few weeks) you will be given the name of a person to contact if you are looking for a roomate. As for housing, I found my apt. through GW's off-campus housing website. I live across the street from the hospital (the Jefferson House)- which I love. Other places to try in the neighborhood include the Bon Witt, Claridge House, Patomac Plaza, etc. (there are so many). I can't tell you how nice it is to literally have 2 min. commute- time becomes so precious when you're in med school.

2. Transportation- Metro is key. You definitely do not need a car, unless you are living way out in the suburbs. Parking spaces are ridiculously expensive in this neighborhood- between $150-190/month and street parking is a pain. I never thought that I could live without a car (I went to school in Los Angeles) but was so glad that I didn't have my first 2 years (it would have been a hassle). You are required, however, to have a car for your 3rd and 4th years.

3. Note service- Yes, we have a student-run note service. It's wonderful!!!

4. Gym- that's the reason why I came to GW. The facilities are great. However, it can be sort of a pain, as it gets VERY crowded once the undergrads return from their summer break. I recently joined Gold's Gym with is pretty close to campus- and its pretty cheap too. And no, you can't go during the summer

5. Enjoy the rest of your summer!! First year is not so bad

one more thing...

The White Coat Ceremony- I like to think of it as the reverse of graduation. Its the culmination of orientation week, where they give you a White Coat (which is donated by the alumni association). The Orientation Committee does an amazing job with it every year (i.e. we had the Surgeon General as our key note speaker), and its definitely worth having a family member or 2 present (if possible)

Hello everyone, and congratulations to us all! I actually found this forum through Google while looking for the date of the White Coat Ceremony. Anyways, I look forward to meeting all of you at Orientation, and am definitely excited about starting school in the fall.

A little bit about myself:

-I attended GW for undergrad and grad school, so I definitely know my way around, and even after 6 years, I can honestly say I still love it here.

-I also lived in California when I was younger and definitely miss the West Coast from time to time!

-I live very close to the school (25th St., which I think a few others have mentioned)

-I really enjoy meeting new people, so again, look forward to meeting you all! For anyone who is already in the area or arriving soon, definitely let me know. We should get together and party while there's still time! :idea:

-I really gotta start making some travel plans soon, so if anyone's got any ideas, that would be great.

Bye for now.