• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

George Washington University Class of 2008

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Pennsylvania
  1. Attending Physician
  2. DPT / OTD
  3. Physical Therapist
    amir2008 said:
    Hello everyone, and congratulations to us all! I actually found this forum through Google while looking for the date of the White Coat Ceremony. Anyways, I look forward to meeting all of you at Orientation, and am definitely excited about starting school in the fall.

A little bit about myself:

-I attended GW for undergrad and grad school, so I definitely know my way around, and even after 6 years, I can honestly say I still love it here.

-I really enjoy meeting new people, so again, look forward to meeting you all! For anyone who is already in the area or arriving soon, definitely let me know. We should get together and party while there's still time! :idea:

Bye for now.

Ok, I'm totally feelin a pre-orientation party comin' on. So what did you do in grad school there?

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 10, 2003
    LA2DC and back again...
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      My future roommate just got off a waitlist somewhere else and so will no longer be my future roommate and GWU classmate - which means some lucky bastard will be getting her spot - I should probably post this on the waitlist thread - anyway - I'm getting so excited I can't hardly wait!!!

About the Ads

CdnMark5

10+ Year Member
      Jul 2, 2004
        Ok, the title should really read "Here Comes the Canuck"...b/c as far as I know I am the only Canadian in the first year class at GW this year. Keep in mind I really don't know much and there could be 50 Canadians in the class and I most likely would not have a clue. Anyway, I was referred to this website by someone I had contacted about rooming with this year...Dave...his screename is something along the lines of AsherAysh...something like that anyway. The main reason I am posting is b/c my search for a roommate (or roommates...although it is neccessary to find 1 roommate before u can start looking for roommate"s") has been rather futile. If any of u r interested in rooming with me...and really u ALL should be...i am totally flexible and u can email me at [email protected] Let's see if there's anything I can tell u about myself...I am most definitely NOT a "gunner" (I hope to at least be a "studier" but sometimes I have problems with that), my screen name on SDN was going to be Mark+Beer=happiness but it was too many characters, I LOVE sports (particularly baseball and football...u can probably see me doing windsprints on the Mall in preparation for intramural football season), and I also cook...I like to consider myself a master of the culinary arts, although I seem to be alone in this regrard. Hope to hear from some of u soon...peace!

IDPHARM

10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Feb 9, 2004
        1. Fellow [Any Field]
          RachMD2B said:
          IDPHARM...you're in Ann Arbor? Did you go to Michigan? I graduated from U of M a few years ago and will also be a first year med student at GW! Go Blue!! :D

RachMD2B, I am in Ann Arbor. I graduated from UM in 1994 and I have lived here since. I'm working at UM Hospital now until the end of July....then I'll be in D.C. Go Blue!!! See you in at orientation.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Oct 10, 2003
          LA2DC and back again...
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            CdnMark5 said:
            Ok, the title should really read "Here Comes the Canuck"...b/c as far as I know I am the only Canadian in the first year class at GW this year. Keep in mind I really don't know much and there could be 50 Canadians in the class and I most likely would not have a clue. Anyway, I was referred to this website by someone I had contacted about rooming with this year...Dave...his screename is something along the lines of AsherAysh...something like that anyway. The main reason I am posting is b/c my search for a roommate (or roommates...although it is neccessary to find 1 roommate before u can start looking for roommate"s") has been rather futile. If any of u r interested in rooming with me...and really u ALL should be...i am totally flexible and u can email me at [email protected] Let's see if there's anything I can tell u about myself...I am most definitely NOT a "gunner" (I hope to at least be a "studier" but sometimes I have problems with that), my screen name on SDN was going to be Mark+Beer=happiness but it was too many characters, I LOVE sports (particularly baseball and football...u can probably see me doing windsprints on the Mall in preparation for intramural football season), and I also cook...I like to consider myself a master of the culinary arts, although I seem to be alone in this regrard. Hope to hear from some of u soon...peace!

Do you like romantic walks on the beach too?

I think I know of one other Canadian at least- I'm sure you'll be in good company, it's not like you're from Namibia or something. See ya in August and good luck on the roommate search!!

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
            Aug 8, 2003
            1. Attending Physician
              I was hoping to get a small ensemble together to read music every once in a while (when we have the time and just want to relax). I play the violin and would be interested in duos trios quartettes etc...Does anyone play violin, viola, cello, or piano?

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
              Apr 1, 2004
              Pennsylvania
              1. Attending Physician
              2. DPT / OTD
              3. Physical Therapist
                gschl1234 said:
                I was hoping to get a small ensemble together to read music every once in a while (when we have the time and just want to relax). I play the violin and would be interested in duos trios quartettes etc...Does anyone play violin, viola, cello, or piano?

I don't play but I love to listen!

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Oct 10, 2003
                LA2DC and back again...
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  gschl1234 said:

What a great idea! Unfortunately I play the horn so I think I'm gonna find a local community wind ensemble, but good luck with the string quintet!

About the Ads

amir2008

The Love Doctor
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jun 20, 2004
                  DC
                    I play guitar (and played drums for a brief stint) and would love to get a group together to play for fun occasionally. Only thing is, I play Persian pop music but have played other kinds of music as well, so I guess we'll see what happens! :confused:

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
                    Aug 8, 2003
                    1. Attending Physician
                      Hey guys,

hmm. What a talented bunch we have! Maybe with the Horn and guitar and others, we can put on an end or year talent show?!? :clap:

PS Amir, have y ever played classical guitar?

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
                      Apr 1, 2004
                      Pennsylvania
                      1. Attending Physician
                      2. DPT / OTD
                      3. Physical Therapist
                        randomquest said:
                        Hey Guys,
                        I'm a new applicant whose looking to apply to GWU. What qualities about GWU attracted you?
                        The women... definitely the women. Med school is good too I hear.

But really, I liked DC, large university resources, small city feel, brand new hospital, good reputation, good technology, international electives, and I had a great feeling from the student body when I went there... everyone was a happy camper... despite the fact that they work their @$$e$ off.

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
                        Aug 8, 2003
                        1. Attending Physician
                          Hey Guys,

Another food one. My husband and I are taking a trip out to DC to find a place to live July 14-18 so anyone know of any good Chinese restaurants (authentic)? I've been craving authentic Chinese food which you just can't get in Boise. We'll have a rented car so going to the suburbs won't be a problem. Thanks :)

gschl1234

15+ Year Member
                          Aug 8, 2003
                          1. Attending Physician
                            randomquest said:
                            Hey Guys,
                            I'm a new applicant whose looking to apply to GWU. What qualities about GWU attracted you?
                            I honestly enjoyed every school where I was accepted equally. GW turned out to be the only viable choice due to my husban'd career (his company has a branch out in the suburbs). That's not a knock on the school though. Although I probably would be just as happy anywhere else, the location is what sealed the deal. I suppose one thing that made a good impression was the fact that the school and hospital seem to be located in a very nice part of town. I don't know what that area is like late at night but definitely during regular working hours, I don't think I'd be scared to walk around by myself.

GWMD2B

GWMD2B
                            10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Apr 22, 2004
                            Foggy Bottom
                              Originally Posted by randomquest
                              Hey Guys,

1. location, location, location-perhaps the nicest part of D.C. (Georgetown, incidentally, is starting to become something of a hood; trust me, have lived in this area pretty much whole life)
                              2. the cache associated with GWU: several politicians, past presidents, ambassadors receive care at GWU: i.e. Cheney (though he no longer has an internist from GWU, haha), Reagan, Ashcroft: in other words, you could actually be practicing medicine on people like this.
                              3. nice new hospital, several hospitals in area to use what you learn (i.e. Veterans Administration (VA hospital), Sibley Memorial)
                              4. GWU is known throughout the entire U.S./world, unlike other schools where people may ask "where exactly is Grenada again?"

About the Ads

amir2008

The Love Doctor
                              10+ Year Member
                              5+ Year Member
                              Jun 20, 2004
                              DC
                                gschl1234 said:
                                Hey guys,

hmm. What a talented bunch we have! Maybe with the Horn and guitar and others, we can put on an end or year talent show?!? :clap:

PS Amir, have y ever played classical guitar?

Actually no, but I enjoy listening to it from time to time. I wouldn't mind learning a song or two at some point.

GWMD2B

GWMD2B
                                10+ Year Member
                                5+ Year Member
                                Apr 22, 2004
                                Foggy Bottom
                                  Hey, Amir:

Yeah, that would be my car. Heh heh. I probably won't need it in the beginning but its nice to have just in case.

You also live in that area? Cool. I had originally looked into one of those townhouses on 25th (good for barbeques, parties) to room with a couple other people but settled on Claridge House.

You seen how they are tearing up the medical school right now?

RachMD2B

10+ Year Member
                                  5+ Year Member
                                  Jun 7, 2004
                                  Washington, DC
                                    GWMD2B said:
                                    Hey, Amir:

Yeah, that would be my car. Heh heh. I probably won't need it in the beginning but its nice to have just in case.

You also live in that area? Cool. I had originally looked into one of those townhouses on 25th (good for barbeques, parties) to room with a couple other people but settled on Claridge House.

I am living in the Claridge House too!! :D

amir2008

The Love Doctor
                                    10+ Year Member
                                    5+ Year Member
                                    Jun 20, 2004
                                    DC
                                      Ditto here! I am happy with Claridge overall. I have been living in the South Building for three years now, but I have heard that the North side is nicer and better renovated. Plus, I think the South building was "annexed" at some point by what was then only the North building.

amir2008

The Love Doctor
                                      10+ Year Member
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      Jun 20, 2004
                                      DC
                                        GWMD2B said:
                                        Hey, Amir:

I noticed all the construction. Is it just me, or do they redo that part of campus once every two or so years? What's the deal with that? Budget surplus, I guess, even though they would never let on about that. But I say there is no need for more construction. Just let it be; it looked just fine before!

Those townhouses on 25th definitely look nice, not to mention the one or two apartment buildings on 26th (I think one of them is called the Griffin?).

amir2008

The Love Doctor
                                        10+ Year Member
                                        5+ Year Member
                                        Jun 20, 2004
                                        DC
                                          gschl1234 said:
                                          Hey Guys,

Another food one. My husband and I are taking a trip out to DC to find a place to live July 14-18 so anyone know of any good Chinese restaurants (authentic)? I've been craving authentic Chinese food which you just can't get in Boise. We'll have a rented car so going to the suburbs won't be a problem. Thanks :)

Since you said you have a car, may I suggest P.F. Chang's in Tyson's Corner (McLean, VA, from DC, it is just off Route 66 going West)?

Medbound2004

7+ Year Member
                                          15+ Year Member
                                          Jul 2, 2003
                                            More Chinese Food suggestions: Meiwahs on M street & New Hampshire Ave. Its located
                                            smack dab in between of Foggy bottom and Dupont Circle. Its a pretty tasty place.

I am really excited to start med school at GW....but I am also going to take this month and half pretty easy and slowly furnish my new place on 25th & K Street in the Excelsior building. I look forward to meeting you all soon!

-K dawg

About the Ads

GWMD2B

GWMD2B
                                            10+ Year Member
                                            5+ Year Member
                                            Apr 22, 2004
                                            Foggy Bottom
                                              I am really pleased with Claridge House, too. I tell you, some of the people working the front desk are a trip :)
                                              Though I wish they would open the roof on Mondays. Why they keep it closed on that day, who knows?!
                                              I am in the North building, top floor. Unfortunately I don't have one of those panoramic views of Rosslyn, but rather the nice, picturesque, breathtaking view of the other side of the North building!.....With a bunch of people in the area already, I'm looking forward to a pre-orientation get-together hopefully.
                                              Apparently I'm told that they are cleaning up all the black soot on Ross Hall, and I think they are planting new trees or something. Funny, looked just fine to me to begin with.
                                              Excelsior complex is real nice. I have fond memories of getting my first parking ticket near there!

Eugene

RachMD2B

10+ Year Member
                                              5+ Year Member
                                              Jun 7, 2004
                                              Washington, DC
                                                I heard a rumor that they are re-doing parts of Ross Hall (inside) to make it much nicer and more technologically advanced. One of my friends who is a 3rd year mentioned that the labs are all being upgraded with state-of-the-art technology. He was a bit bitter that he missed out :laugh:

I am getting really excited too (but of course a bit nervous!). Its funny that a bunch of us are living in the claridge house (although I guess it makes sense since it is so close to school!). I am living on the northside as well! :D

GWMD2B

GWMD2B
                                                10+ Year Member
                                                5+ Year Member
                                                Apr 22, 2004
                                                Foggy Bottom
                                                  I don't think that Claridge House is affiliated with the medical school. I understand a lot of undergrad. students live here but I am pretty positive that it isn't a "dorm" or anything like that. I personally have a one room efficiency but honestly don't know if a lot of people move in together here as roommates. It seems to be a regular apartment complex.

~1 month and counting.....

Eugene

phinicky

7+ Year Member
                                                  15+ Year Member
                                                  May 8, 2002
                                                  dc
                                                    Housing options in Foggy Bottom...
                                                    Claridge House
                                                    Jefferson House (my building)
                                                    Bon Witt
                                                    The President
                                                    Potomac Plaza
                                                    Patomoac Terrace

There are many!!! Those are the ones that are 1 block from Ross Hall.
                                                    Note- DON'T even try Columbia Plaza. They don't rent to students, and they don't take co-signers.

RachMD2B

10+ Year Member
                                                    5+ Year Member
                                                    Jun 7, 2004
                                                    Washington, DC
                                                      phinicky said:
                                                      Housing options in Foggy Bottom...
                                                      Claridge House
                                                      Jefferson House (my building)
                                                      Bon Witt
                                                      The President
                                                      Potomac Plaza
                                                      Patomoac Terrace

There are many!!! Those are the ones that are 1 block from Ross Hall.
                                                      Note- DON'T even try Columbia Plaza. They don't rent to students, and they don't take co-signers.

This isnt entirely true...first, Potomac Plaza is about a 10 min. walk from the medical school. It is on the other side of campus (21st and E). After doing searching for apts. in foggy bottom, I found that the majority were either 1 BR or efficencies. It was REALLY hard to find a 2 BR in foggy bottom, but we found one in the claridge house :D

Columbia Plaza is a GREAT apt. building. Its true that they dont take co-signers, BUT they do have a program set up wtih GW where they rent to students without a co-signer. You can sign up for this online or through the GW housing office. They will offer you either 1 BR, 2 BR or efficencies as they become available. A lot of students live here so there is usually a waiting list. THey give preference to medical students and law students though. WHen I filled out the interest form, I got offered 2 apts throughout the summer. Both of which ended up being too expensive (they are luxury apts), but they do have some that are cheaper (that was the reason I stayed on the waitng list). It is a great location (a few blocks from school) and really nice apts. If you are interested, you should call the GW housing office.

phinicky

7+ Year Member
                                                      15+ Year Member
                                                      May 8, 2002
                                                      dc
                                                        I'm a 3rd year at GW... I know Foggy Bottom pretty well. Yes, it is sometimes difficult to find a 2BR. And, Patomac Plaza is across from Ross Hall. don't bother with Columbia Plaza. Yes, there is a deal that they have with GW housing, but priority goes to undergrads, then the GW law- so its not that easy.

RachMD2B

10+ Year Member
                                                        5+ Year Member
                                                        Jun 7, 2004
                                                        Washington, DC
                                                          phinicky said:
                                                          I'm a 3rd year at GW... I know Foggy Bottom pretty well. Yes, it is sometimes difficult to find a 2BR. And, Patomac Plaza is across from Ross Hall. don't bother with Columbia Plaza. Yes, there is a deal that they have with GW housing, but priority goes to undergrads, then the GW law- so its not that easy.

Sorry! I didnt mean to argue with you :D I've lived in DC for 3 years too. Its all good! :D I'm sure you're right about those things, I thought I went to Potomac plaza in my crazy apt. search, but i could be wrong, it is all a blur! However, I did get offered 2 great apt's in Columbia Plaza. I went on the waiting list for a 2BR about a month ago and got offered the first one a few days later. It was SO nice!! But I had to turn it down ($2400/month!!!!). I went back on the list and got offered one at $2200, which was a little better, but we decided on the Claridge house to save money. It would've been nice to have a luxury apt. but considering the cost of med. school, it just wasnt realistic. If you can afford it though, I would still say go for it! Dont hate me Phinicky!! :D

Bucky Katt

7+ Year Member
                                                          15+ Year Member
                                                          Dec 10, 2003
                                                            gschl1234 said:

piano player here (although currently i do not own a piano). i am also matriculating at GW this fall. not a gunner. met FreddyDPT and had drinks with Brickhouse out here in Cali. looking forward to meeting the rest of you. i will be in DC by august 1st. who wants to explore the city and the local pubs?
                                                            go GW class of 2008!!!
                                                            BK

About the Ads
                                                            This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                            7. This thread is locked.