George Washington University Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brickhouse

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone???

anyone????

Bueller......Bueller....

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin
Wait so you decided on GW? Are you sure??

yeah - I spent a lot of time looking over the great advice in my "GW vs. GW" thread - and I think I can safely say....I'm headed to GW!

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to be kidding me - I'm the only obsessive posting SDNER going to GWU?:(

Um... I wish I was going to school with you.
Does that count?
:confused:

so...is this thread like unofficial or something?

rock on :thumbup:

Yeah - it's officially unofficial....

if you were the only one going to gw...

that means you would be ranked 1st in the class...

damn get ready for any residency you want brick....:horns:

Congrats! My SO is at GW! It's a great place to be. :)

I am strongly leaning towards attending GW in the fall. Its an excellent school :love: .

I'm still torn between GW and Jefferson. Jefferson = cheaper, cheaper living, more convenient cheap living (I see a theme here) and, purportedly, a "better" reputation, whatever that means. And Philly's cool, in a grittier sort of way. I get a good feeling from it and would probably be happy there.

But GW...I've ALWAYS wanted to live in DC. During interviews I came straight from philly to DC and when I got off the train and out of the station the city just felt *right* to me. Dynamic, multicultural place with an opportunity to learn in a kick-ass high tech environment but still lots of opportunity to work with the underserved populations in DC. And get an MPH during the four years of med school. I think I'd be happy at GW too....ARGH!!!

Hey brickhouse- I'll be at GW if they let me in off the waitlist! But I am in DC so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, Brickhouse

i just saw this thread. a great way to meet future classmates before the year starts. count me in--i too am going to GW. anyone else out there??
BK

Originally posted by burlypie
I'm still torn between GW and Jefferson. Jefferson = cheaper, cheaper living, more convenient cheap living (I see a theme here) and, purportedly, a "better" reputation, whatever that means. And Philly's cool, in a grittier sort of way. I get a good feeling from it and would probably be happy there.

But GW...I've ALWAYS wanted to live in DC. During interviews I came straight from philly to DC and when I got off the train and out of the station the city just felt *right* to me. Dynamic, multicultural place with an opportunity to learn in a kick-ass high tech environment but still lots of opportunity to work with the underserved populations in DC. And get an MPH during the four years of med school. I think I'd be happy at GW too....ARGH!!!

Well let us know. We'll keep the light on for ya. ;)

Originally posted by Bucky Katt
hey, Brickhouse

i just saw this thread. a great way to meet future classmates before the year starts. count me in--i too am going to GW. anyone else out there??
BK

Hi Bucky!! Yay! so happy to meet you!! Can't wait to party with you in D.C.!!!!! :clap:

Originally posted by mimi1
Hey brickhouse- I'll be at GW if they let me in off the waitlist! But I am in DC so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Girl, my fingers are firmly crossed for you!!

Know anyone looking for roommates in August?

i'm in the same boat is mimi, hang in there! hopefully we'll be hearing some good news, and hopefully, (i'm praying) if i do, i guess then i can "officially" post in this thread.

gosh, i'm so tempted to go to gw, but it seems like i will be in ny again. though, dc is a great place to be for med school. i loved it there and the new hospital?! have fun!!!! the students who stopped by during interview were the most laidback and "normal" compared to other schools.

Originally posted by darkcity998
gosh, i'm so tempted to go to gw, but it seems like i will be in ny again. though, dc is a great place to be for med school. i loved it there and the new hospital?! have fun!!!! the students who stopped by during interview were the most laidback and "normal" compared to other schools.

I hear this a lot - it's nice to actually hear some pleasant and encouraging things when it seems the rest of this process is so discouraging.

Can we start the official Georgetown is better than GW thread? :laugh: j/k Brick, don't worry. I actually drove past GW earlier today, thought it looked nice.

And no, I'm not technically accepted yet, but hey....its me. :cool:

Well we'd be neighbors at any rate - you have housing at GTown?

Originally posted by Brickhouse
Well we'd be neighbors at any rate - you have housing at GTown?

Ha, no, not yet. I have absolutely no clue where I'll stay; supposedly, the admissions office has a list of students looking for new roommates, so I'm going to check that out first.

Like I said, I technically haven't been accepted yet. I'm still also pounding out my fin. aid file. For various, sundry, and redundant reasons, my application is an absolutle mess.

I'm guessing that you haven't found anything yet either?

Originally posted by chameleonknight
Ha, no, not yet. I have absolutely no clue where I'll stay; supposedly, the admissions office has a list of students looking for new roommates, so I'm going to check that out first.

Like I said, I technically haven't been accepted yet. I'm still also pounding out my fin. aid file. For various, sundry, and redundant reasons, my application is an absolutle mess.

I'm guessing that you haven't found anything yet either?

Oh yeah - financial aid...hmmm gotta do that...

well if you don't find anything let me know, we could live together and paint eachothers nails and stuff.

I have odd nails, I don't think you'd want to paint.

How funny if we did end up roommates. I think Fate has an odd sense of humor sometimes. (Just don't tell Tranquility). ;)

welcome, freddy! see ya in august.
BK

Hey! I'm noticing a few more SDNers are setting their sights on GWU for August - So who are you and how YOU doin'?

GW wasn't my top choice (under my cheaper state school) but now all this talk gets me more psyched about D.C. Does anyone remember how big the class is? 150 sticks out in my mind but I can't remember.

Hey, everyone! So, it seems that many of us are going to GW this August. Cool. This was by far my first choice. I'm a VA resident and didn't feel like doing the whole U-Haul deal, ya know? Any fellow UVA grads on this site?
For those looking for housing, I found a great efficiency on 25th St, basically one block behind the medical school and love it! I've been here a month, its very quiet (which will be good until the mandatory after-exam parties), and plus they have a rooftop pool and ample room for sunbathing. The rent is decent, especially for this area, and I have noticed that MANY GW medical students live here.

GWMD2B said:
Hey, everyone! So, it seems that many of us are going to GW this August. Cool. This was by far my first choice. I'm a VA resident and didn't feel like doing the whole U-Haul deal, ya know? Any fellow UVA grads on this site?
For those looking for housing, I found a great efficiency on 25th St, basically one block behind the medical school and love it! I've been here a month, its very quiet (which will be good until the mandatory after-exam parties), and plus they have a rooftop pool and ample room for sunbathing. The rent is decent, especially for this area, and I have noticed that MANY GW medical students live here.

What constituted decent rent for hte area?

If you live in Foggy Bottom, rent for an efficiency generally runs $1200-1300/month. I am paying $975/month, utilities included. I was told when I first came that some places will maintain this lower amount until about the beginning of June.

About living around GW.

-Living on the west side of the school, ie 25 th st, is pretty quiet. Some people may find that area boring but many med students live there. The bonus is that it's a short walk to Georgetown.

-If you want adventure, are into people watching and crowds, try living on the east side on 22nd or 21st, example - The President Condos - very popular location. Big undergrad hangout too.

-If you want to be next to the gym and buff up during med school, live on the south side - ie 23rd and G Street.

-If you want to live close to the monuments and take strolls/jogs along nice paths to the Capital [ie, the 'mall'], live on the south-west side of GW - ie somewhere around C St and 21st.

-If you are gay, live north of GW at Dupont Circle.

-If you like to go Clubbing, live around M street - very expensive and classy though. For the single guys out there, DC is overpopulated with females, most very successful and beatiful.

You will love living in DC

GWMD2B I sent you a private message.

hey guys,

I just got my acceptance last week! It looks like GW is where I'll be next year too. It's the best option for my husband's job prospects.

I didn't actually get to speak to any of the students except for the student interviewer. What were your impressions? Also, they had said something about a list-serve that everyone is supposed to be on before the school year starts. That way we can email everyone in case we're looking for a roommate or anything. Are any of you guys already on that? I just sent in my acceptance to their acceptance Saturday so I'm not sure what happens now. Did you guys already get your financial aid letter? What about the first year handbook written by the students?

YEAH!!! I just got an email from Diane McQuail offering me a place at GW next year. So for those on the waitlist, it is moving, so keep pushing them and expressing your interest in GWU. I am so excited about attending and can't wait to meet all my new classmates this fall.

Good luck!!

yalie_grad said:
YEAH!!! I just got an email from Diane McQuail offering me a place at GW next year. So for those on the waitlist, it is moving, so keep pushing them and expressing your interest in GWU. I am so excited about attending and can't wait to meet all my new classmates this fall.

Good luck!!

Congrats Yalie_grad!! When did you interview and when were you notified that you were ON the waitlist? I'm crossing my fingers I'll get that email one day soon!

I interviewed on Jan.15th. I was notified I was on the waitlist March 8th or so. I received an email this morning at 9:30 am from Diane McQuail saying that I was accepted. I have written GW two letters of intent, and my clinical mentor (the physician I shadow weekly) is a GW grad and he has written letters on my behalf too. The admissions people were nice enough to fax the physician I shadow and let him know I was going to be accepted today.

I know they have some spaces open, although I was very surprise to receive an email considerind the letter I received last week from them (I think it was sent to all the alternates) indicated they wanted all the material in by May 10th. I presume their waitlist will move a lot, but that most people should hear post May 15th.

I've shadowed a GW grad as well (she graduated in the 80s) and told me the list moves a lot every year since it's such an expensive school. A lot of people who get into their state schools opt going there.

Yay I'm so excited to see more people here who are coming to GW! We are going to have so much fun!!!! I'm on craigslist looking for roommates - I have a few prospects. I'm coming all the way from Cali though - you east coasters are gonna have to help this girl adjust! Feel free to pm me - any of you, if you want to chat about our med school! We're going to med school!! Woo hoo! :thumbup:

Brickhouse said:
Yay I'm so excited to see more people here who are coming to GW! We are going to have so much fun!!!! I'm on craigslist looking for roommates - I have a few prospects. I'm coming all the way from Cali though - you east coasters are gonna have to help this girl adjust! Feel free to pm me - any of you, if you want to chat about our med school! We're going to med school!! Woo hoo! :thumbup:

How did you get on craigslist? Dean Mcquail told me something about a listserve that we can all get on but at the time I didn't think to ask her how. Is craigslist the listserve she was talking about?

gschl1234 said:
How did you get on craigslist? Dean Mcquail told me something about a listserve that we can all get on but at the time I didn't think to ask her how. Is craigslist the listserve she was talking about?

No - craigslist is the most amazing classified online community. Go to craigslist and choose DC from the menu of cities on the right. Then pick the "rooms/shared" or "apt" links and voila! Browse through hundreds of people looking for places. It's cool.

As far as transportation is concerned...are any of you guys thinking of bringing a car up to D.C. I know the subway is right there and can get you almost anywhere...is it even feasible to bring a car?

We're probably going to live in the suburbs and I'll probably drive to a subway station daily to get to school, so yes. If you're planning on living in foggy bottom, I don't think you'd need one.

A car is a huge pain if you live in the District. On street parking is difficult to find and then you have to decipher the 5 parking/no parking signs on every block ("no parking odd Tuesdays 5am-6pm," "2 Hour Tuesday 4-7pm," "No parking on a full moon when it rains -- except Tuesday"). And some of these things come with $100 fines and a tow. (Yes, I'm bitter.) Renting a parking space will cost you $100/month if you're very luck to 1) find a spot available and 2) find one that cheap. You can also buy space (like you would buy a condo) for ~$30K in some part of the city.

You probably won't need a car if you live in DC or near a metro in Va or MD. If you do, it's easier to rent one or get zipCar.

coming from L.A. my car is like oxygen and I'll die without it. literally. even if I have to bail it out of the compound every other week. i know it's crazy but it's a security blanket thing. maybe with time i'll send her back home. bye bye debbie. *sob*

I lived in DC last year, a car is not necessary, but it is nice to have. I usually only used it on the weekends. It is nice to have when you go grocery shopping, out to the suburbs (northern VA and MD), but all DC metro is great!! Very convenient and clean. however, with that said I am planning to take my car and live in DC. Remember DC is not like NYC, where having a car is unheard of.

Can't wait to meet all my new classmates. Enjoy the summer and graduation!! :cool:

So about our $2,900 deposits due late june.....I guess that comes from mommy & daddy?