George Washington University Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can be reached on aol IM at blusilv. I'm pretty familiar with the school if anyone wants to chat.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, just got back from the beach today. Ocean City was great! Anyways, I haven't posted in a while, so here we go.

-Potomac Plaza is on 24th and Virginia Ave., while Potomac Park Apts. is somewhere on E St. Hope that clears the mix-up.

-Got my orientation packet last week, but have not had a chance to look at it!

-The Claridge House is definitely a great place! (Even though it has its issues at times).

-Here is a question to anyone who lives there now: Does anyone know what happened to the guy who worked night shifts at the front desk? He left the job a couple months ago, but he always seemed to be sleeping whenever I saw him! He was definitely one of the better front desk people, though.

Uh oh, what are the "issues" with the claridge house? Do I want to know? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Bucky Katt said:
piano player here (although currently i do not own a piano). i am also matriculating at GW this fall. not a gunner. met FreddyDPT and had drinks with Brickhouse out here in Cali. looking forward to meeting the rest of you. i will be in DC by august 1st. who wants to explore the city and the local pubs?
go GW class of 2008!!!
BK
Hi BK,

That's great to hear!!! Hopefully there's a cellist out there who'll be interested in starting a piano trio. I'm sure that we could practice and read music in one of the practice rooms with pianos. GW does have a school of music, doesn't it?

My husband and I just got back from DC searching for houseing. Just out of curiosity, is anyone planning on living in northern virginia (Falls Church, Vienna)?

RachMD2B said:
Uh oh, what are the "issues" with the claridge house? Do I want to know? :)

Sometimes the administration can be slow with tenant complaints and some of the desk people can be a little "difficult" at times, hehe. Other than that, it's a pretty good place to live (esp. the North side).

gschl1234, if you are planning to live in Northern Virginia, may I suggest the following: Ballston, Alexandria, Reston, and Vienna. Other places include Rosslyn, Crystal City, Pentagon City, and Arlington, but the first list is cheaper.

congratulations to everybody starting medical school at George Washington University

way to go

"Sometimes the administration can be slow with tenant complaints and some of the desk people can be a little "difficult" at times, hehe. Other than that, it's a pretty good place to live (esp. the North side)."

There is a truth to that I think. I don't know about the rest of you guys who live in Claridge House but there is, for the life of me, one woman who works there that I cannot understand for the life of me when she speaks. I'm not mocking or anything like that at all but I honestly have to strain to understand her. She's fairly nice, though. Funny thing is, I will come in the building 3-4 times throughout her shift and she'll ask me EVERY TIME whether I live there or not! :laugh:

Eugene

gschl1234 said:
My husband and I just got back from DC searching for houseing. Just out of curiosity, is anyone planning on living in northern virginia (Falls Church, Vienna)?

Hello, my wife and I were in Northern VA in June and we were shocked at the real estate. We put an offer on a condo in Falls Church for 250K and there were 14 other contracts...needless to say that the price escalated to 275K. Too rich for us. We ended up signing a lease on an apartment in Alexandria, within minutes of the Van Dorn Metro stop off the Blue line. We have a 2 year old and my wife liked Alexandria. How did your housing search go? See you at orientation.

There is a truth to that I think. I don't know about the rest of you guys who live in Claridge House but there is, for the life of me, one woman who works there that I cannot understand for the life of me when she speaks. I'm not mocking or anything like that at all but I honestly have to strain to understand her. She's fairly nice, though. Funny thing is, I will come in the building 3-4 times throughout her shift and she'll ask me EVERY TIME whether I live there or not! :laugh:

Eugene

I know exactly who you mean. The lady in question usually works on the weekends. She is nice, but definitely hard to understand. She sounds drowsy. Oh well.

IDPHARM said:
Hello, my wife and I were in Northern VA in June and we were shocked at the real estate. We put an offer on a condo in Falls Church for 250K and there were 14 other contracts...needless to say that the price escalated to 275K. Too rich for us. We ended up signing a lease on an apartment in Alexandria, within minutes of the Van Dorn Metro stop off the Blue line. We have a 2 year old and my wife liked Alexandria. How did your housing search go? See you at orientation.
Hi IDpharm, I pm'd you with our story. It was kind of long so when I got done typing, I just sent it to you rather than clogging up this thread but yes, finding a good affordable place isn't easy!

Hey guys, have you all read through some of your orientation packages yet? Does anyone know more about the 5 year program? If you take it, do you have to pay for 5 years of med school? How do you get selected?

People are selected for the 5-year program. And, no, you don't pay for the 5th year. Basically, its designed mostly for students who have a discrepancy between their MCAT scrores and GPA, and older students (to a much lesser extent).

Its not the best of idea, in my opinion. Basically the first year is divided up into 2 years- which makes the real second year very dfficult....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, all!
A couple of us are planning on meeting up tomorrow, Thursday, outside Ross Hall at ~7P.M. Figured it would be a nice chance to all meet, grab a drink or bite to eat, before hunkering down this summer to read "The Spirit Catches You" :laugh:

Hope to see you all there!

I definitely recommend for anyone still looking for housing to check out www.craigslist.org. When you get to the page, click on Wash D.C., then click on housing. Hope this helps. :)

gschl1234 said:

my boyriend and i will live 1 mi from the Ballston metro stop in northern VA. we ended up renting a large 2-bd condo. from talking to the upper classmen, my impression is that a fair number of students live in VA, off the orange and blue lines. it's cheaper and luckily the public transportation makes it easy to get around. pm me if you have any questions.

we should think of a catchy name for that music band of ours :)

Bucky

Bucky Katt said:
my boyriend and i will live 1 mi from the Ballston metro stop in northern VA. we ended up renting a large 2-bd condo. from talking to the upper classmen, my impression is that a fair number of students live in VA, off the orange and blue lines. it's cheaper and luckily the public transportation makes it easy to get around. pm me if you have any questions.

we should think of a catchy name for that music band of ours :)

Bucky
Hi Bucky,

Wow that's great! Hopefully we can be neighbors, although Ballston is a bit out of our price range. When we went to DC last week, we were looking at condos near West Falls Church, Dunn Loring and Vienna. However, since we didn't find a place, my husband's company is putting us up in a temporary apartment. They have a deal set up with a place in Manassas but that's way too far for me so we've been looking on our own. We found one in Ballston and we're waiting to see whether his company approves it so at least for the first month, we may be neighbors :).

Any ideas for a catchy name? What about the GW Players? Is that cheesy? :oops:

GWMD2B said:
Hey, all!
A couple of us are planning on meeting up tomorrow, Thursday, outside Ross Hall at ~7P.M. Figured it would be a nice chance to all meet, grab a drink or bite to eat, before hunkering down this summer to read "The Spirit Catches You" :laugh:

Hope to see you all there!

I'll be there... can y'all feel the excitement building?!? The spirit is catching me. :laugh: Anybody else comin'?

I am planning on stopping by; I look forward to meeting you all tomorrow!

I think I can stop by too! I look forward to meeting you guys!

We had a great time last night....we should definitely hang out again soon!

Yeah, it was really nice to meet you guys. I hope to hang out again soon, too. But ONLY if we can have another discussion about politics. :laugh:

Thanks for the link, Fred.

Eugene

Is anyone going to be living at the President?

Hey Party People!

I just got back from a 3 1/2 week trip in Mexico and so I've been out of the loop! I am heading out to DC this Saturday, the 7th. I can't wait to meet everyone! My orientation package was waiting for me when I got back and I am so excited to start - and a little freaked out too! Anyone wanna meet up the night of the 14th when I get in? I got a townhouse in Clarendon with two other women I've never met - should be interesting. Does everyone's big sib seem cool? Mine is like a carbon copy of me - L.A. native, UCLA grad, studied medical spanish over the summer, same age....I guess they do that on purpose?

Love you all, missed you, Mwah! :love:

Hey Bucky Katt - pm me your phone number, I wanna hear all about the move!!

How can you guys afford to go to GW? I am applying for the class of 2009 and that is probably the thing I am most worried about. How were the financial aid packages?

neoncandle said:
How can you guys afford to go to GW? I am applying for the class of 2009 and that is probably the thing I am most worried about. How were the financial aid packages?

I don't think they're very good - but we're all taking out loans and we'll be able to pay them off, just like the rest of the world. Right, kids?

neoncandle said:
Well, you could take out both the subsidized Stafford (8500) and unsubsidized Stafford (30,000) loans and that almost covers tuition. You'll be short a little over 1000, I think. If you have savings or your family can help, you can cover the rest of your living expenses without taking out more loans. Otherwise, you'll have to take out a variable interest private loan which maxes out at around 19,000 (as I recall). No matter what, the unsubsidized loan is a good bet because it's a "free" loan in that you aren't responsible for the interest that builds up while you're in school. The unsubsidized Stafford isn't as good since you're responsible for all the interest but you do get a fixed rate.

I Just found out my brother was accepted to GW medical school for class of 2005! I am sooooooo proud of him.
Thanks for letting me share it with Ya'll!