• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I just got accepted to University of Glasgow in Scotland!

Anyone else joining me over there?

EqSx83

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I might be! I'm going over there for my spring break to take a look at the school and see how I like it. I'm kinda excited!

ratbandit

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I'm just glad I didn't brave the NYC subway, cab, bus, and taxi system for nothing! Still not sure where I'm going since I haven't been rejected from all of my other schools yet and still have to pick b/w here and edinburgh, check out these websites...
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/rquam/ and www.all-animals.net

About the Ads

sdb9

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Seattle, Wa
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I also have to decide between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Not a bad to decision to have to make though :) .

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Ya Cindy and Rebecca have great websites. They are really helpful and answered a million questions I had about the program. Certainly increased my enthusiasm in it tremendously.
Let me know which school you decide on.

rinnyroo

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Ya Cindy and Rebecca have great websites. They are really helpful and answered a million questions I had about the program. Certainly increased my enthusiasm in it tremendously.
Let me know which school you decide on.

I got accepted to Glasgow as well but I feel like I know nothing about the school. Does anyone feel like their website is not that informative? I thought that at the interview they would have some kind of presentation about the school but I was wrong! And, I couldn't log on to that "big vet wee vet" site on moodle so i really feel like i'm in the dark!:oops: What does everyone know about the school?

How many international students do they accept? Could we potentially transfer to an American school after a year or so?

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Rinnyroo, the websites have a lot of good info as to what it is like if you read all the journal entries, but granted that does take alot of time. And the pictures certainly can show you what the country side is like.
For the bigvet weevet site try this password in the guest section "b1gvet2006". The site does have alot of good info.
Did you get the DVD they sent us? That helps paint a picture about what the school is like.
As far as numbers of students, I hear varying numbers between 24-45, but seems like an average in the 20s-30s. They also take students from other countries too of course.
And yes, some students tend to transfer after a year or so. Not because they don't like it though. From the people I've known of who have done it, they don't want to leave Scotland and truly love it there. However finances can get to be a bit much for some people and they end up moving home due to that from what I understand. I'll be there for a full 5 years though.
I've done alot of research into it and if you have any more specific questions let me know. And if I don't know I'll just message one of the students over there real quick to get the answer you need.

birdvet2006

Glasgow c/o 2006
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Portsmouth, NH
www.all-animals.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
Could we potentially transfer to an American school after a year or so?

Why would you want to do that? Is the school not good enough for you? Sorry for getting a bit huffy, but it's my alma mater we're discussing here. It really saddens me to see all the Americans transfering, or trying to, back to the USA. Usually there are only a few (3-5) seats open at the US schools each year to transfer to - and with competition from your classmates and other overseas students, it'd not be a guaranteed thing. Plus, first year is not equivalent to first year at a US school - you'd have to finish 2 years at Glasgow before transfering to 2nd year at a US school.

The DVD should give you a better feel for the school. I received a CD-ROM prior to starting at Glasgow and was really interested in the school after viewing that. I may actually BE in the DVD...haven't seen it but did see them making parts of it.

The website demonstrates the cultural difference. Although it's an English speaking country, things aren't exactly like you would expect in America.

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Well put Cindy.

And yes, I believe you are in the DVD. There is a horse (if I recall correctly) undergoing surgery and it shows several students observing. The one female matches your height and the eyes look like yours, although you are wearing a sx mask so I can be fully certain.

EqSx83

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Besides, from what I understand talking to other vets - Glasgow and the other UK school are on average considered to be better programs than most of the US schools. I don't know why you'd bother switching back over. If I decide to go I'm definitely not going to try to transfer! IMO it will be a great education and a great life experience.

sdb9

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Seattle, Wa
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Rinnyroo,

Did you try emailing people from the list of current students they sent you? I did that and I got a lot of good information about pretty much anything you can think to ask. It got me really excited about going there and I was extremely impressed with how helpful everyone was. I got a real sense of camaraderie and that everyone looks out for each other. I even had one person offer to look for apartments for me when I expressed how difficult it was to find information online about places. That really impressed me. I would definitely contact those people if you haven't already. Email lots of people too because only some respond and everyone had different things to add.

Oh yeah, and by emailing students I found out the password they sent us for moodle was wrong. It is b1gvet2006, not bigvet2006.

rinnyroo

10+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thanks everyone for all of your advice and help!

DDoc-you seem really knowledgable about the school...I might contact you if i can't get some of my questions answered, thanks!

I feel like I was attacked about my questions regarding transferring! I'm not insinuating that I won't love the school or Glasgow...I'm actually excited to see a new place, espcially in the UK. But it's pretty far from home and five years is a long time. I've lived away from home for 8 years and being that far away doesn't lend itself to getting home very frequently. I'm kind of at the point in my life where I would like to spend more time with my family and friends at home.

I finally figured out that the CD Glasgow sent us was a DVD and not a CD-ROM so I watched it last night and it did get me more excited. Wow, did i feel like an idiot! i keep putting it into my computer and wondering why it wasn't loading!

sdb9-thanks for the password for moodle...I knew it had to be wrong when i couldn't log on and I had emailed someone about it but they never got back to me.

About the Ads

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I got mine shortly after being notified of my interview. If you went to the California interview session I believe they did a presentation to everyone in place of the DVD. The didn't do any presentations in NYC and therfore sent us all a DVD to tell us about the vet school instead.

birdvet2006

Glasgow c/o 2006
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Portsmouth, NH
www.all-animals.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
Well put Cindy.

And yes, I believe you are in the DVD. There is a horse (if I recall correctly) undergoing surgery and it shows several students observing. The one female matches your height and the eyes look like yours, although you are wearing a sx mask so I can be fully certain.

DDoc,

The only equine surgeries I saw while at Glasgow (I saw many more during my extramural studies) were a castration and some sort of musculoskeletal thing (I was on anaesthesia rotation and would have been near the head of the horse). Was it either one of those surgeries? The castration took about 5 minutes so I doubt it was that.

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Well they showed a horse in surgery, then showed an entire different view of individuals observing a surgery. Therefore, it may not have been the same procedure. For all I know you were watching some other surgery, I just kinda figured it was the same one.
I can send you the video file if you want, but it is huge and would need to be done over an instant messaging program and probably take a few hours. Or, I can see if my programs will let me cut the movie down to just that clip and send it. Let me know if you want me to try and work on that.

Normed

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
aw, congrats guys on all your acceptances!

I got a letter of rejection from Edinburgh and I am currently on the waiting list for admission into Glasgow, which is my first choice. My heart is already in Scotland... has anyone been accepted to Glasgow that doesn't plan on going? :(

Have any North American's applied to Dublin or London? Have you heard anything at all from them?

..trying to stay positive...
:luck:

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Well I'm sorry to hear about your rejection from Edinburgh. But there is still hope in sight! I hope to see you over in Glasgow with me. Let me know when you get word.
My heart is already there as well, and I'm looking forward to living there.
Sorry, I didn't apply to Dublin or London, but I hear great things about both schools.

Keep staying positive :)

Normed

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Ddoc,
do you know how many people that Glasgow interviewed? I was at the interviews in San Francisco at the end of January, and they didn't say how many they were interviewing. They just said that they had over 200 applicants and 12 were from Canada (where I'm from)....

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
They interviewed 120 out of that 200 applicants.
The exact number they take I'm not fully sure of, I hear varying numbers depending on where I look. Somewhere in the 20-30 range though from what I understand.
Where in Canada are you from?

Tsuki

UTK CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
NY --> TN
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
aw, congrats guys on all your acceptances!

I got a letter of rejection from Edinburgh and I am currently on the waiting list for admission into Glasgow, which is my first choice. My heart is already in Scotland... has anyone been accepted to Glasgow that doesn't plan on going? :(

Have any North American's applied to Dublin or London? Have you heard anything at all from them?

..trying to stay positive...
:luck:

I applied to Dublin and London. Rejected from London (1/30), haven't heard from Dublin

About the Ads

nessaf7

Nessa
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Or, I can see if my programs will let me cut the movie down to just that clip and send it. Let me know if you want me to try and work on that.

Another thing you can do... if you can watch it on your computer, press the key "PrtSc" when the clip you want comes up and paste it into paint. :D

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
So I know that London is AVMA accredited, but Dublin isn't. If you get into Dublin through Atlantic Bridge do you have to take the ECFVG or is it considered as an AVMA in that case?
I don't know much about it, only bits and pieces here and there.

Tsuki

UTK CVM Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
NY --> TN
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
So I know that London is AVMA accredited, but Dublin isn't. If you get into Dublin through Atlantic Bridge do you have to take the ECFVG or is it considered as an AVMA in that case?
I don't know much about it, only bits and pieces here and there.

Regarding Dublin from the Atlantic Bridge site : "In 1999, the internationally recognized RVC was granted approval by the American Veterinary Medical Association."

Now it doesn't actually say its accredited and it isn't listed on the AVMA site...so I'm guessing it isn't.

Normed, I did apply through Atlantic Bridge..

nessaf7

Nessa
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
About two years ago I actually got a reply from UCD about their accreditation. They told me then that they were undergoing the accreditation process and that they would have an update in a years time. No news since though!

egghead115

10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Northern CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I was accepted to Edinburgh and Glasgow. If I decide to go to Scotland, I will most likely choose Edinburgh (for the 4 year graduate entry program and quality of life in the city).

I have yet to e-mail Glasgow, but will do so soon so those on the waitlist get bumped up! Good luck!

EqSx83

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I talked with a rep from Dublin in the middle of last week. He said they were meeting today to discuss all of the Atlantic Bridge applicants so hopefully we'll hear soon. Personally, I am about 100% sure I am going to Glasgow - but if I get into Dublin then I am going to check the school out anyways just to make sure Glasgow is the place that is best for me.

And as far as their AVMA accredidation - from what I've heard is they are still in the process (it takes several years for it to be completed) but they ought to be done by the time we would graduate (which is all that matters).

Tsuki - RVC is accredited - but that's London not Dublin. Dublin is UCD.

SuperSasquatch

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
I found out last week I was accepted to Glasgow and I plan on attending in the fall. I'm VERY excited! I just found this forum and I'm trying to find all of the information I can about the school.... still haven't gotten the actual paperwork in the mail though. Has anyone else? It's been a week since I got the email.

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I haven't gotten my info in the mail either, so don't worry just yet. I'm not sure how long it takes mail to travel internationally, so it may potentially take a bit longer that what might be typically expected.

foxvet

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Hey Normed, I didn't get accepted to Glasgow either, but I turned down the waitlist today. Hopefully this boosts you up! Good Luck!

About the Ads

soccerduck11

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Missouri
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I've been accepted to Glasgow as well, just don't know if I'm going yet. Depends on what I hear from other schools. Has anyone gotten their packet in the mail?

Normed

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Hey Normed, I didn't get accepted to Glasgow either, but I turned down the waitlist today. Hopefully this boosts you up! Good Luck!

yay! thank you!!

ps - Has anyone heard from anyone at Glasgow at all since hearing about acceptance/waitlisting??

ratbandit

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
I got my official "stuff" in the mail but that's all I've heard. My offer is unconditional which I thought was weird since I'm a junior and figured they'd at least stipulate that I do well in my current courses. Oh well I'm not complaining! Still haven't been rejected from all the schools I've applied to and am having a hard choice already trying to pick b/w Edinburgh and Glasgow! They both seem pretty much the same academically. Lots of people at my college right now applied to Edinburgh but didn't even apply to Glasgow - I have no idea why b/c both seem to be awesome schools. From what I've read both programs are really tough and the cummulative nature of everything makes me confidant that I will certainly know what I am doing when I graduate.

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
When did you get your official "stuff" in the mail? I'm still waiting on mine.
I know I'm in but I wish that postal worker would bring it faster! I want the OFFICIAL letter!

egghead115

10+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Northern CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I declined Glasgow's offer of acceptance today, so those of you on the waitlist have a good chance! I'm was a U.S. applicant.

ratbandit

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
DDoc, I don't remember the date exactly but it was probably 4 or 5 days ago. No new info really, just a housing brochure and a contact list and some info on paying the deposit.

cwazy cat lady

Slave to Felines
10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
La-La Land
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Hey, to those of you who applied to the UK schools, or currently attend, can you give me an idea of how they compare in their selectivity/admissions with US schols?

The reason Iask is that I am an older student, a post-bac, and I am cramming my basic requirements into two years. I have a mix of experience, very goo dacademic records and an intersting work/education/life expereience background BUT I do lack a lot of extra electives in upperl-level sciences and I also haven't accumulated thousands of hours of experience.

What do you think they are looking for in their applicants? What do you think they value? Are there any requirements that might disqualify someone right off the bat?

I have been scouring their websites, but to no avail! I think I am spoiled. My local (WSU) and the other schools I am considering (PENN, TUFTS, etc) provide a lot fo detail and are pretty darn specific.

Thanks for any help!

bellai

10+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
yay! thank you!!

ps - Has anyone heard from anyone at Glasgow at all since hearing about acceptance/waitlisting??
I'm on the wait list and still waiting. Their email indicated they would be in touch in March.

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Has anyone else gotten their official letter in the mail?
I don't know why but I still haven't gotten mine....:confused:

soccerduck11

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Missouri
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I haven't gotten my official letter either, and the wait is killing me! Let me know if you get yours soon!

Emory23

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
I recieved my acceptance to Glasgow on 2/14 by email but haven't recieved anything by mail yet. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Also, I'm really hesitant about accepting the offer even if it is the only place I'm accepted. Finances are a big part of that, how much are estimated living expenses?

One more, does anyone know how the Bachelor's degree translates to practicing in the states? The vets I currently work with were concerned with how hireable I would be... Anyone know anything about how it is graduating from Glasgow and coming back to practice in the states?

DDoc

Glasgow class of 2012
10+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinary Student
Since it's AVMA accredited the BVMS degree you would get is equivalent to a DVM. It's basically just a foreign way of saying DVM (or VMD for you Penn folks). You'd be just as hireable as anyone in the US.

As far as finances, it's certainly going to be a pretty penny spent. But it would be quite expensive paying tuition out of state as well. I can't comment fully about living expenses yet, I have yet to find that out myself. I do hear cost of living is a bit more over there though.
I know finances can be a factor but it is managable if that's truly where you want to be and what you want to do.

birdvet2006

Glasgow c/o 2006
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Portsmouth, NH
www.all-animals.net
Status (Visible)
  1. Veterinarian
Also, I'm really hesitant about accepting the offer even if it is the only place I'm accepted. Finances are a big part of that, how much are estimated living expenses?

One more, does anyone know how the Bachelor's degree translates to practicing in the states? The vets I currently work with were concerned with how hireable I would be... Anyone know anything about how it is graduating from Glasgow and coming back to practice in the states?

Living expenses: for example, the last few years my flatmate and I spent a combined 650 pounds per month on a 3 bedroom house (but 1 bedroom could barely fit in a twin bed, so we didn't use it for a 3rd person). I think I paid about 40-60 pounds per month for broadband Internet and the phone bill combined. Electricity was about 100 pounds every 3 months. This is just going from memory. Didn't have to pay for water or council tax (you get that waved w/proof of being a full time student). In hindsight, I think a car would have been a good investment. I spent lots of money on taxis (to and from the airport, to and from the grocery store), trains and buses. I spent a LOT of money going back and forth between the UK and USA.

As to the BVMS degree - well, I'm proud of mine. Everyone asks what it means but no one looks down on it. Besides, I have MRCVS as well (Member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons). Sounds cool. You can be called "Doctor" - you just can't sign DVM or VMD after your name (that's illegal). I didn't have a problem based on my degree, and where I work there's another vet with a "different" degree. She's Australian and the degree is BVSc. She has American board certification to top it off (ACVIM).

Don't get hung up on the degree. It's cool. :) Also, BVMS distinguishes you as being from Glasgow within the UK. Edinburgh is "BVM&S" and the others are something different (BVSc and such).

nessaf7

Nessa
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
The vets I currently work with were concerned with how hireable I would be... Anyone know anything about how it is graduating from Glasgow and coming back to practice in the states?

Out of curiosity here... Everyone seems to agree that graduates from international schools are as hireable as are graduates from North American schools, but then you see comments coming from vets concerned that you might not be... and they are the ones hiring you! I know there are a few people on the forum (i.e. Cindy) who seem to have no problem going back to N.A. to practice, but I'm just concerned that this won't be the case for everyone, and say if you are applying for a competitive internship, then will they choose someone who graduated from a N.A. school?

sdb9

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Seattle, Wa
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I think these schools are going to gain a reputation fast. Edinburgh, for instance has only had their AVMA accreditation for the last two years and will have it for 8 more years before they get inspected again. Since this is a new option, vets out there working don't know much about it. It wasn't an option when they applied. I'm thinking by the time 4 or 5 years is up when we graduate, everyone will be a lot more familiar with the idea. There's really no question that these aren't good schools, its just a matter of current hiring vets doing their research and figuring this out for themselves!

cali33

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Veterinary
Does anyone know how difficult it is to bring a cat to vet school at Glasgow? I can't find anything on their website.

Thanks!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.