Glasgow Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The bigvet weevet site on moodle has a whole section about bringing your pet over there.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, can you give me the url? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok now I feel really stupid. I got the password is "b1gvet2006," but whats the password? When I sign in as guest w/o a password, I can't access any of the pages.

Thanks for the assistance :)

That is the password. Go to the log in as guest button and click that. Enter that password. Bingo you're in.

Haha ok wow. I can either enter a username and password or sign in as guest, which doesn't require a password but does not allow access to most of the pages. Maybe the website has changed since you were on it. Or I'm doing somehting wrong.

I've had that happen before too. I don't know why it does it. It typically happens when I go into a different section of the site first. Give it a day, then go back in and only go into the guest section and enter the password.

Heh, thanks I'll try that. Appreciate the tutorial :)

I've had that happen to me too. If you click on Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery (BVMS) under my courses, it should bring you to a page where you can click Big Vet, Wee Vet. It will then ask you to put in an enrollment key, which is just the B1gvet2006 password again. Hope this helps.

I think these schools are going to gain a reputation fast. Edinburgh, for instance has only had their AVMA accreditation for the last two years and will have it for 8 more years before they get inspected again. Since this is a new option, vets out there working don't know much about it. It wasn't an option when they applied. I'm thinking by the time 4 or 5 years is up when we graduate, everyone will be a lot more familiar with the idea. There's really no question that these aren't good schools, its just a matter of current hiring vets doing their research and figuring this out for themselves!

Good point, sdb9!

Those of you that got accepted to Glasgow, what was your GPA and expericene.

Anyone get conditional offers for calsses they had to take after they applied?

It's my 1st choice school. I'm going to apply this summer, so any info or advice you could give me would be great.

hey guys!
general question: those of you that were accepted to Glasgow, is there a date by which you are to reply saying that you are accepting their offer of admissions?
I'm on the waitlist, and I'm going nuts, so maybe if I know the date when they'll be ready to utilize the waitlist, my life will be a bit more stable, haha! :D

hzoobie: My GPA for Glasgow acceptance is 3.5 overall, my science GPA is lower, though I am not sure the exact number. They did not require me to take other classes, I already have two B.S's; although I wasn't finished with Biochem. I don't think they cared if I finished that. My experience is mostly research (full time for 2 yrs) and a little bit of clinical small animal (~200 hrs) Good luck applying! It's a great school and everyone is really really nice!

Normed: As for dates, for the 4 year program, I had to until April 1st (I think) to accept/decline and for the 5 year program I had until April 30th. Good luck on the waiting list, I hope you get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is 3.46. I never calculated my science GPA so I'm not quite sure what that is. LSU put my required course GPA at 3.60, so I'm not sure if that gives any sort of idea to the matter. I don't have any undergrad degree though. Transferring schools and taking time off for internships cut out that idea unless I had gotten rejected.

As far as hours go for experience, I'll try to break it down but it's tough to give a full history on here. I had 10,000 hours of animal experience total, with over 5,000 of that specifically in veterinary medicine. Five years in small animal. Three internships for varying lengths at zoos. Nine months full time work with horses. I now work at an equine hosptial. Worked a little at school in the zoology lab. And a bunch of other volunteering such as wildlife rehab, donkey ranch, animal rescue, etc, etc.

Goodluck and I hope to see you in Glasgow!

Thanks DDoc and sdb9. I really appreciate it.

Really hoping I see you there too. :)

Hey Guys, just wondering for all you choosing glasgow, anybody have a reason for going w/ Glasgow rather than Edinburgh? I'm wildlife/exotic oriented and live in a large city right now in the US. Just wondering if anyone knew the strengths/weaknesses of the schools and what made you decide to go w/ Glasgow. Also, anybody else freaking out about getting their visa? I'm so paranoid that I'm not going to have the documentation I need in time!

I know that Edinburgh has larger case load of exotics because they work with the Zoo. Other then that, I'm not sure how the two compare.

I was worried about the documentation until I read that you couldn't even apply for a visa until two months before the start date of your classes. That means I can't even do anything until May. Now I am just trying to focus on getting my financial aid package together.

I turned down my acceptance at Glasgow today, because I've been accepted at Massey (which is my first choice). Hope this moves one of you off the waitlist!

Can anyone tell me if you can still use the Dr. after your name if you have the BVMS degree. It would be ashame not to be called a doctor!:rolleyes:

uh, yea.. why you would say doctor AFTER your name is confusing to me, but yeah, with a BVMS you're still Doctor whoever. You just can't use "DVM"..

sdb9-

If you're an american citizen, you don't need to actually "apply" for a visa- you just bring your documents with you, and get it over there. The UK/ Ireland is much easier with the visa thing than Aus/ NZ. And I think you may only have to prove funds once. But Cindy'd know better about that.

uh, yea.. why you would say doctor AFTER your name is confusing to me, but yeah, with a BVMS you're still Doctor whoever. You just can't use "DVM"..

Your right it, would be in front, if used. However, I guess I am just concerned with any preceived loss of value for not having the DVM vs the BVMS, or not being recognized as a Doctor.

sdb9-

If you're an american citizen, you don't need to actually "apply" for a visa- you just bring your documents with you, and get it over there. The UK/ Ireland is much easier with the visa thing than Aus/ NZ. And I think you may only have to prove funds once. But Cindy'd know better about that.

Well, my experience with the visa is different because when I started in the UK in 2001, you really didn't need to obtain a visa...they just stamped you when you got to the airport and said you're a student, etc. But after a couple years they decided that Americans needed *real* visas. I had to go to the Home Office, take a number, wait, wait, and wait, and show my papers and most importantly PAY LOTS OF MONEY (well, it seemed like a lot to me) to get a real visa. But after that, I didn't have to worry about the possibility of not getting stamped at the airport every time I went to/from the country.

For those of you who are wondering, yes - you're a real doctor when you graduate. I guess it doesn't hurt to show my real name on here. This is how I sign for prescriptions etc.:

Cinthia Fulton, BVMS, MRCVS

But I go by "Dr. Fulton" and am introduced as such, paged overhead as such etc. I even subscribe to vet journals as "Dr. Fulton". :)

From http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/ethics.asp

"Veterinarians should use only the title of the professional degree that was awarded by the school of veterinary medicine where the degree was earned. All veterinarians may use the courtesy titles Doctor or Veterinarian. Veterinarians who were awarded a degree other than DVM or VMD should refer to the AVMA Directory for information on the appropriate titles and degrees."

I just got my package in the mail today saying that I got accepted at Glasgow!! :D

I just got my package in the mail today saying that I got accepted at Glasgow!! :D

Just out of curiosity, were you previously waitlisted? I was wondering because I thought acceptances came awhile ago via email.

I just had my interview on March 7 and then found out 5 days later via email that I was accepted... I got my package though in the mail today with the official letter.

I'm so excited to find this forum before I go nuts trying to figure out the logistics of getting myself to scotland haha :) Although I am very impressed with the information provided on the wee vet site.

Congratulations to everyone who has also gotten in - cheers for not having to apply again! I'm crossing my fingers for those of you on the waitlist.

I got my acceptance via email (2/14), but just recieved another asking if I got the packet - apparently they had some snail mail problems.

So, I'm sure this will be the first of many questions, but has anyone thought about housing yet. I know we can't really do anything about it at the moment, but I'm curious if anyone is considering living in campus housing or planning to find an apartment/flat. I can't imagine living in my freshman dorm again :eek:

I'm so excited to find this forum before I go nuts trying to figure out the logistics of getting myself to scotland haha :) Although I am very impressed with the information provided on the wee vet site.

Congratulations to everyone who has also gotten in - cheers for not having to apply again! I'm crossing my fingers for those of you on the waitlist.

I got my acceptance via email (2/14), but just recieved another asking if I got the packet - apparently they had some snail mail problems.

So, I'm sure this will be the first of many questions, but has anyone thought about housing yet. I know we can't really do anything about it at the moment, but I'm curious if anyone is considering living in campus housing or planning to find an apartment/flat. I can't imagine living in my freshman dorm again :eek:

I had some questions about housing myself. I still haven't gotten my package in the mail with the official letter and the info about housing and the deposit so I'm a little worried! Does the unviersity housing getted booked up fast?

do a lot of the vet students choose to live in the university housing their first year? i can't imagine living in a dorm again myself but i also can't imagine trying to find an apartment site unseen! is the university housing right on the vet school campus or is it on the main campus? :confused:

if anyone has any insight i would appreciate it!

do a lot of the vet students choose to live in the university housing their first year? i can't imagine living in a dorm again myself but i also can't imagine trying to find an apartment site unseen! is the university housing right on the vet school campus or is it on the main campus? :confused:

if anyone has any insight i would appreciate it!

Wolfson Hall is the only university housing on the Garscube Estate (the vet school property). It's a 10-15 minute walk to the vet school but at least 45 minutes' walk to the main campus, where most of your classes are in 1st year (and 1 day a week in 2nd year). The buses aren't always reliable (on time, ever show up etc.) but some people do choose to take them. I used to walk from Wolfson to main campus every day. I should have thought of a bike sooner...but still, in the rain it can be miserable (mud etc.).

A more popular option in recent years has been Queen Margaret, about halfway between the 2 campuses (perhaps slightly closer to the main campus). It's self-catering too...which may have been good compared to Wolfson (whose food is HORRIBLE).

If you want to hear about my experiences at Glasgow, go read some of my journal entries at http://www.all-animals.net .

After my first year in the halls (Wolfson) - I decided to move on. :) Fire alarms at 2-3am before a school day...horrible food...drunken people roaming the halls - kinda fun in hindsight, but not something you want to live with when you get heavily into your vet studies. However - I do know some people who became "wardens" (sort of hall supervisors) and they got their own flat (bigger than your usual en suite room) within the hall, and possibly some money. But they had to stay there nearly all the time, less time to travel or leave the country. Wolfson Hall has the benefit of being right next door to a nice little gym and a lot of sports facilities...if you're into that sort of thing. Cheap, too! The other gym is on the main campus and it's huge (never been there myself, just walked past it) and busier.

I booked my housing in July, shortly after I was accepted. Half a month to a month after that, a friend of mine couldn't get into Wolfson Hall and had to stay somewhere else (further away).

Cindy, thank you for your website and all of your helpful answers :) (I've been searching through old threads).

To everyone else - I also found this link, which is fabulous as well
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/rquam/
It seems that most students live in college housing freshman year, but it is possible to get placed in a building with other "mature" students and/or vet students. Now the big question - will they let me have a cat in the dorms??

[I know, I know - its horrible and cruel to even suggest bringing my pet overseas and how could I be so crazy etc etc. But after much deliberation I have decided that there's just no way I can leave him behind. I'll just have to figure out a way to manage.]

In the past, I have helped 2 new American students find private housing in Glasgow. I haven't been to the wee vet site, but I think you'll find people on there who are willing to help you find a pet-friendly place (or any place you'd like). Many people have digital cameras and could take photos of a place, or at least have a good idea if it's a "nice place" or trashy.

I'm no longer in Glasgow though (or I'd offer to help!).

to Normed,
I am waitlisted there as well.

i got accepted to glasgow and am leaving california next week to check it out. i'll probably end up turning it down since i got into 3 instate schools so hopefully one of you can have my spot.

to Normed,
I am waitlisted there as well.

oh the life of a waitlister.. I've been waitlisted since February. They assure me they'll rank us soon... It's rough when it's your first choice! Good thing I'm crazy busy right now finishing up my B.Sc, or I'd be going insane checking my emails!
:luck:

I was wondering if anyone knows if Glasgow has a very good equine program and if their facilities are pretty up-to-date for both equine and small animal. I have been accepted there but I have not had the chance to visit their school and see for myself what the school is like. So if anyone has visited the school I was wondering if you could tell me a little about what it is like.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Glasgow has a very good equine program and if their facilities are pretty up-to-date for both equine and small animal. I have been accepted there but I have not had the chance to visit their school and see for myself what the school is like. So if anyone has visited the school I was wondering if you could tell me a little about what it is like.

I'm an alumna of Glasgow (class of 2006). Their equine facilities are excellent. They lack CT, MRI, treadmill, and recovery pools. But otherwise top-notch. The case load is my only complaint. I didn't see ANY colic surgeries there. Saw a few colics but they were medical. Some people did see some...but on two separate month-long rotations, I didn't. There are certainly plenty of lameness and orthopaedic things going on at all times though.

The small animal hospital is a bit dated but still nice. They are building a new hospital (have you seen the school's website?!) costing a lot. When I left in early July, they had not broken ground yet. But they were planning to start soon. You know how long these things can take though...however, with a 5 year curriculum, it's possible that the class of 2012 will see the new hospital. The new hospital will have both CT and MRI (right now there's a mobile MRI truck once a week) and a special physical therapy centre, along with the pain control centre that already exists (and the usual for everything else). Case load was still my only complaint about the small animal hospital. I guess it compares to some of the smaller caseload US schools like Washington, Oregon, VA-MA and such.

They are also building a new farm animal unit. Should be nice. It seems like they always have something under construction at Garscube (vet school campus).

I got accepted into Glasgow in mid march since we had trouble doing the interview as I have been in France the past year! I really didn't think I would get in this year because I really didn't try very hard on my application as I wanted to spend more time in Europe. However, I guess I got my wish as I will be going to vet school in Europe!

As far as bringing a cat to Glasgow, it is hard enough but not impossible. I have done a lot of research on this the past 6 months since I have 3 foster kittens in France that I can't place. I thought about bringing them with me but then the approx. 5 months of vacation time each year would be too much and what would I do with them if I go to the US during all of my vacations? So the story as far as bringing a cat is that they have to be tested 6 months in advance for rabies antibodies in their blood. They also need a microchip, and a rabies vaccine. This has to be done in a specific order, no exceptions. This is done to avoid 6 months of quarantine. The UK is definitely difficult as far as bringing animals there I want to bring my older cats there so I can keep an eye on them, since my parents almost let my 11 year old cat die by not watching her(as she stopped eating). My cats are very used to my parents house and will be very upset if I try to move them I think, so I am leaving them and will visit as often as possible during the 5 years! I am, however, bringing my 3 orange tabby kittens, now 8 months, back home with me to the US and finding them homes there. It certainly isn't easy fostering kitties abroad! Joyce W. told me there will be plenty of opportunities to continue to rescue animals in Glasgow also! I can hardly wait, lol!

I heard UofG is one of the best veterinary programs out there from different teachers and vets I have talked to.

I too, however, have a lot of financial worries. I think my payments will be about $2,000 a month for 10 years after graduating. This will definitely not allow me to barely make enough to live, and life will be very stressful! I thought about transferring to a US school after 1 year only for financial reasons. However, I am much happier with the degree I will be getting from Glasgow. I am also an EU citizen, dual citizen ship, with US and EU. Therefore, I would like to move around often. The degree from Glasgow will give us the opportunity to move around and experience different countries. It is not like the DVM degree which only allows you to work in the US. It's always possible to try to go to Europe and work, but the process will be much more difficult. And since it's more difficult, most of us are unlikely to do it!

I have looked into scholarships, but we do not apply to hardly any of them because we are going overseas. I did see the Marshal scholarship, but its only good for US students studying for a masters or PhD. Too bad because it covers your tuition and living expenses! I am very excited to meet everyone who will be going to Glasgow and good luck to all who are on the waiting list! ;)

>>>I think my payments will be about $2,000 a month for 10 years after graduating.<<<

Really? You must have a lot of financial backing then (parents, savings)! My payments will be $2000/month for the first 4 years, then somewhat more than that for the next 26 years after that!!! 30 year financing for $194,000 (and growing) debt. Don't forget about interest!

(I am going to start major payments in July and I am scared).

Holy criminees!!! That is quite the financial burden for the next 30 years. That is a much higher payment than I was anticipating.

I have been accepted to Glasgow and I am really trying to figure out what I should do. I have visited your site Cindy (which by the way provides incredible insight into your journey) and there are so many things about Glasgow that interest me. I think the education I would be receiving would be outstanding, the cultural experience would be a once in a lifetime opportunity...and so much more....but I am seriously scared about going into debt so heavily. Do you mind sharing any info you have on your financial aid process? I will be doing this all on my own, no help from the fam...and I want to be fully educated before I make this tough decision. Is your payment so large because of the loans available to American students over there (ones with higher interest rates)? Can you provide a rough monthly estimate of living/food/fun?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide Cindy. You are always so helpful to all of us and I really appreciate it!

Hi Cindy,
Yes, I think I am going to use all of my inheritance money that was supposed to be a backup for a house! I remember talking to a recent grad of Colorado, and she said she was paying $5,000 a year for 30 years. I thought that was a lot but now I have a new in site! And the $2,000 a month is assuming also that I have a job to cover all living expenses during the 5 years! As you can see, $2,000 a month for 10 years is assuming everything goes perfectly! I am honestly very scared of this type of debt. I never even thought I would consider this before! :) I like to live barely making minimum wage and barely making it, but now I realize I will actually have to get paid very well from the beginning! I wish there were some type of government grants that would pay for a large portion of our loans!

HZoobie,
I really don't know exactly what Glasgow is looking for in applicants exactly, but I think it is quite different than most of the US schools. I think the US schools tend to be more of a stickler to having almost a perfect science gpa, at least that was my experience. I was told from CSU that I had a lot of B's, and I was competing against those with almost strait A's! I honestly felt I failed the interview since I couldn't answer most of the questions he asked. Overall, it's not easy to get into Glasgow, but they do seem to really look deep to see if you will be a veterinarian. I don't think they throw your application away with a cut-off of some sort of criteria. I didn't get admitted into any of the 4 US vet schools I applied to if that gives you any idea at all as far as what they are looking for! Good luck in your application process!:)

My payments will be $2000/month for the first 4 years, then somewhat more than that for the next 26 years after that!!! 30 year financing for $194,000 (and growing) debt. Don't forget about interest!

Is this right? If you are paying 2000/month for 30 yrs, that adds up to over 700,000 for a 200,000 loan? I am considering Edinburgh so I am trying to figure out exactly how impossible it would be to go there.

Hi Guys-

I'm an American currently attending Glasgow in my 4th year of studies. My website is the one at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/rquam. You all have so many questions it reminds me of when was considering coming over. At that time there wasn't much information available so its great that forums like these can be of so much help. I'll add my snipit of info about loans and such - I figure a total of $175,000 or so when I finish, but I tend to live quite cheaply and don't drink a lot of alcohol. My living expenses are probably a bit over £5000/year including my flat which is £280/month, utilities, internet, food, travel, etc. It's definitely worth it!

Loans are available through the US government for $18,500/year and you can borrow the rest privately through the IEFC (www.iefc.com). It's a lot of money, but it's easy enough to get.

As for the last comment, the BVMS you graduate with is AVMA accredited so it has equal weight to a DVM. Most of the vets I've talked with have only heard good things about Glasgow vets and don't see it as a problem. I look at it as having something that will make me stand out in a crowd. Most employers seem to see living overseas for a time as an asset.

Best of luck to you all, and maybe I'll see some of you next year!

Is this right? If you are paying 2000/month for 30 yrs, that adds up to over 700,000 for a 200,000 loan? I am considering Edinburgh so I am trying to figure out exactly how impossible it would be to go there.

OK, good question. Maybe I calculated something wrong and I can actually have less than $2000/mo. payments?! I sure hope so!!! I am going to make some more calculations.... (Difficult to figure it out when your loans are not in repayment, so you don't have official payment schedules yet).

Hi Birdvet!
I hope you calculated something wrong, but unfortunately, I think you're right! It's amazing what interest rates can do to how much we will pay overall. A friend of mine had an idea of making 1 or 2 interest only payments per year and she seems to think that will get it down to about half that overall, so maybe about $350,000. I don't know if she is right or not. I know nothing about compounded interest, etc! I wish I did. I will find out more as the time goes on though! :cool:

Do you mind sharing any info you have on your financial aid process? I will be doing this all on my own, no help from the fam...and I want to be fully educated before I make this tough decision. Is your payment so large because of the loans available to American students over there (ones with higher interest rates)? Can you provide a rough monthly estimate of living/food/fun?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide Cindy. You are always so helpful to all of us and I really appreciate it!

Financial aid process:
1. First you need to apply for Stafford loans. You can borrow up to $18500 (subsidized and unsubsidized combined) each year. You need at least this, so take it all. :) You need to fill out a FAFSA form initially (and then a renewal online every year after that). Then you get your SAR (Student Aid Report) - it should be sent to the school's financial aid office (the Registry). You need to make sure this happens - because it sometimes doesn't...be sure to tell the financial aid officer once you have filled out your FAFSA and sent it in. After she gets the SAR and OKs the loan amount, you can apply (i.e. via a lender such as Sallie Mae or IEFC or CitiBank). You receive your money - sometimes later than you expect (after school starts up to 1-2 months later!). They (Registry) are working to fix this.

2. Next apply for your private loans. They cover the remainder of your expenses each year. At first you have a variety to choose from. I have used IEFC, CitiBank (CitiAssist loans), and SallieMae. SallieMae has the worst interest rates so I don't recommend them for private loans. They are fine for Staffords. CitiBank has an aggregate limit of $110,000 - so once I reached that, I had to borrow from IEFC. You choose whichever lender you like. They have application process instructions on their websites. For the most part, you need an actual paper application because most don't list Glasgow on their pull-down menus on the online applications. So you'll need to call the lender company and request a paper application.

A budget for my final year at Glasgow ended up being $20,000 private loans plus the $18500 Staffords. I had been planning on 3 round-trip flights UK-California. 300 pounds rent/month (only 8 months this time though...as leaving UK for good). Electric 16 pounds/month. Internet+phone 60 pounds/month. $700 towards US board exams. 120 pounds/month for groceries. Taxis about 125 pounds/year (to-from airport, to-from grocery store and the occasional other event). I gave myself 90 pounds for entertainment per year. I gave myself 300 pounds for EMS travel per year. 70 pounds for "formal dinners" (i.e. Vet Ball, Final Year Dinner, Graduation Dinner).

I think I may have been a little off in my calculations. I ended up with some plane ticket debt on my credit card that I am still paying for. Things almost always ended up being more expensive than I counted on. But this gives you a rough estimate.

Talking about loans and debt and interest makes me VERY nervous. Everytime I try to calculate how much this will all cost in the end I keep getting somewhere between $220,000-243,000. It's nice to hear that it is costing most much less. By the way anyone looking for a roommate?!! I've got a dobie that's coming with me and certainly can't live in the dorms! It'd be fun to room with a first year!!

[email protected]

Talking about loans and debt and interest makes me VERY nervous. Everytime I try to calculate how much this will all cost in the end I keep getting somewhere between $220,000-243,000. It's nice to hear that it is costing most much less. By the way anyone looking for a roommate?!! I've got a dobie that's coming with me and certainly can't live in the dorms! It'd be fun to room with another first year!!

[email protected]