Glasgow Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternatively, fewer cumulative tests can result in the mother of all cramming sessions, followed by massive amnesia...

That pretty much describes it. :) :)

What an experience with the testing process... few Americans can truly sympathize with you once you start at a UK school, unless they've been to a UK school.

However, there ARE smaller exams almost every term. They just aren't worth very much (2-7% total of your end-of-the-year mark). It might make you feel better to know that they have copies of some old exams in the library (and maybe even online now). Some subjects, like anatomy, have very repetitious exams over the years.

Members don't see this ad.

[1] Does anyone know if the campus, or at least the vet buildings are wireless?

[2] Classes begin on 25 SEP correct? When is freshers week (I'm guessing the week before) and is it important to attend?

[3] Does anyone have any info on health insurance while in Scotland (for American students)?

[4] Are there any recommended books to purchase before arriving?

Thanks!

I asked about health insurance in my interview, you're covered under their national health insurance so long as you have a student visa, at least that's the gist I got. I believe you have to register with a doctor once you get there.

Members don't see this ad :)
[1] Does anyone know if the campus, or at least the vet buildings are wireless?

[2] Classes begin on 25 SEP correct? When is freshers week (I'm guessing the week before) and is it important to attend?

[3] Does anyone have any info on health insurance while in Scotland (for American students)?

[4] Are there any recommended books to purchase before arriving?

Thanks!

1. When I left in late June 2006, we had wireless access in the library (for about 6 months at most). I had a 5 year old computer with Windows Millenium and the computer people couldn't figure out how to get me connected to their wireless network. It wasn't as easy to connect to as I was expecting (as I had wireless access at home). The main campus - I'm not sure. Probably not everywhere. They're a bit behind in times in the UK. Most students don't have laptops and many can just barely use a computer (there is a mandatory IT class in 1st year...you can waive it w/adequate experience/proof of a computer class).

2. I don't know the schedule for your year, however I can comment on Freshers week. It's designed for the British students who have just "left school" (high school). It's a bunch of partying in the pubs and clubs, and I didn't really find the club/association faire very useful (but maybe you will). I think during Freshers week (or around that time) the vet school puts on a "meet and greet" for your year (to meet students from other years too) in a pub (usually near main campus).

3. You won't need health insurance unless you want to pay and have "better care" (i.e. no waiting on lists for surgeries). But if you expect to be mostly healthy, you're fine w/NHS (National Health Service). Sign up w/a GP and you're all set. I went to the doctor a few times, and once got my rabies shots at the university student health centre (I needed rabies due to volunteering w/RAVS in the USA...had to pay for these vaccines). Dentists - I was a bit scared having gone to 2 (one low-end and one high-end) and found that they didn't wear gloves!!! Well...you'll find things are a bit different in the UK.

4. Yes!! Cheaper in the USA! But they'll weigh down your luggage, and you will probably have enough trouble just moving all your normal living stuff there. I honestly wouldn't be one to know the current text requirements (things likely have changed in 5 years). Best to check Moodle for that. Dyce's anatomy, Cunningham's physiology, nothing required for husbandry (er...I never bought anything for it!), and I personally recommend (if not recommended by the school) "Instant Notes in Biochemistry" (I used it as my sole biochem book and I got my only distinction in that subject!).

For all of you wondering about the NAVLE pass rate, its currently 80% cause a bunch of 5th years failed it in Nov. That percentage will probably go up by summer as, hopefuly, most will have passed when they retook the exam in April.

To comment on the testing, I actually find the testing style here better (harder also) than at home because you are tested over the same material numerous times. You have term exams, then first year exams in june, then at the end of second year you are tested over both years worth of material. It takes a bit of getting used to, but isn't really that bad (although the negative marking is nasty). After all, a 50/100 is a passing mark and anything above 70/100 is an 'A'. Not to say that exams are easy, but don't get too freaked out over the different testing style. First year is nice and gentle and gives you time to figure out the system before the material really piles on.

For those of you looking for accomodation, don't forget I'm posting e-mail notices of flats for let/flatmates wanted on Moodle (http://moodle.gla.ac.uk/vet/moodle/). If you haven't looked around the Big Vet little vet bit on Moodle yet I highly recommend it as there is tons of information for you on coming over to the UK and Glasgow vet school.

Is anyone having luck finding housing yet? I am still having no luck finding a place that allows pets! It seems like Glasgow is very pet unfriendly:(

I heard the deadline for the dorms in in August. Are most living in the dorms or in apartments? I don't have a pet issue anymore as I took my 3 cats back to the states.

Has everyone already completed their loan applications? I am having some trouble with the SAR.

Our Glasgow thread went dead, lol.:) I thought I would make it live again. :D

As time grows closer, have any of you found out anything about the housing, additional costs, etc?

I just got done calculating how much it will cost:

$33,000 for tuition
and about $12,000 for living expenses.

It's so sad that the dollar is so weak right now or else this would not be so high. The pound is at I believe a 26 year all time high right now! Is anyone calculating anything different? I have already taking the maximum on the stafford loan already. By the way, the dorm alone will cost $7,000. I tried to find out about studios that would be less, and that was the lister house, which would be about $5,600. But, you have to share a bathroom with the floor. I am willing to do that to save the $1,400 though.

I am buying my plane ticket soon. Add another $1,000 to living expenses, lol. And by the way, what I calculated doesn't include a cell phone nor a landline. I have heard that costs a lot! I heard they have internet connections in the dorms so I will use skype.

Share your thoughts or ideas if you can! See all of you in September!;)

Wow, this board really is dead...

I am still trying to get a lot of things together... esp. the living situation. Anyone finding flats (heh) for a good price?

How is everything else going (Loans, Student Visa, etc.)? Run into any problems??

Also, are you guys on MySpace or Facebook?

Wow, this board really is dead...

I am still trying to get a lot of things together... esp. the living situation. Anyone finding flats (heh) for a good price?

How is everything else going (Loans, Student Visa, etc.)? Run into any problems??

Also, are you guys on MySpace or Facebook?

Hi Miry,

I sent in my dorm application a few days ago. No response. I really don't want to stay at the dorms, but what else can I do since I am not there to actively search for flats! But if you or anyone else has any ideas for that, I am open to it!

I think I am set for student loans, but I emailed Debbie Beales just in case.

I don't need a student VISA since I have an EU passport so I can't suggest anything there.

Anyone else getting worried about how much the dollar is getting devalued? I just checked it and it is now $2.03 to buy 1 pound. Even last fall, it was about $1.80 to buy a pound. If it gets to be over $3.00 to buy 1 pound, I am afraid I won't be able to continue my education in Glasgow and will have to drop out. Any ideas on how to get at least a fix within the next 5 years? I think the dollar is only going to get weaker over the 5 years because of the war in Iraq.

Hello Everyone!

I hope everyone is getting everything ready in preparation for Scotland! I have one question: I sent in my dorm application a couple weeks ago. I got a reply a couple days ago. They gave me an offer for the Lister house. I saw on their site that studios were 2,888 pounds. This is of coarse with shared bathrooms, but not in a flat. Now that I got my offer, they are saying is 4,084 pounds. I went to their website to look at fees and it no longer has studio prices listed there. It just says single, which is 2,888. I know I saw studio listed there for 2,888 before. Am I imagining things or did they really change it? I can't afford 4,084 for a room especially since it doesn't even have a bathroom. That's over $900 a month! Is anyone else having these problems?