Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What was your MCAT?Hey Goro, first off thanks for your time in helping all these students like myself.
So when AACOMAS calculates my GPA, it came out to cumulative and science GPA both to be 2.72. I contacted a few DO schools explaining my scenario to them, and for example AZCOM admissions replied to me stating they would not even consider my application since I would be screened out despite my above average MCAT score.
I looked at many DO school websites and most list a required minimum undergrad GPA requirement 2.8-3.0, which means I wouldn't have a shot at a lot of them. Do you know which DO schools would even give my application a set of human eyes.
It is looking rather discouraging especially since I worked hard to avoid the Caribbean's between my GPA repair and MCAT retake. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated.
edit: nvm just read back and seen.
So with having such a low GPA you have to do more than just succeed with the GPA repair and getting a good MCAT. You have to advocate for yourself. I applied to 50 schools and I emailed each school explaining my situation because my upward trend wasn’t visible in my year by year graph. So I reached out and showed my interest and also mentioned my situation. Many schools replied with “Your app will be looked at holistically like everyone else’s”. However some were very nice and I feel played a major role in my successful cycle.
Also don’t stop if you have a rejection from a school. If you get rejected EMAIL THEM AND ASK WHY. I was rejected from one of my top DO programs and I reached out and got eyes on my application which resulted in the rejection being over turned and eventually turned into an acceptance. Also if you haven’t heard back from schools don’t let that stop you from pursuing research and or volunteering work. Doing so will allow for you to provide a substantial update latter a few months into the cycle.
Below is a list of the schools I applied to along with if I was rejected, accepted, or waiting.
- Acceptances
- ICOM Accepted
- ACOM - Accepted
- Rejections
- ATSU-SOMA - (Rejected)
- VCOM (Rejected)
- MSUCOM (Rejected)
- PNWU-COM (Rejected)
- WVSOM (Rejected)
- Oakland-B (Rejected)
- RUSH (Rejected)
- NETTER (Rejected)
- MU-COM- (Rejected)
- EVMS (Rejected)
- UIWCOM (Rejected)
- CHSU- (Rejected)
- Touro- (Rejected)
- WVU (Rejected)
- LECOM-B (Rejected)
- DMU (Rejected)
- COMP-NW Cali (Rejected)
- COMP-NW Oregon (Rejected)
- ARCOM (Rejected)
- GTOWN (Rejected)
- GWU (Rejected)
- ROSY FRANKLIN (Rejected)
- WAYNE STATE (Rejected)
- UCF (Rejected)
- NYMC (Rejected)
- TEMPLE (Rejected)
- SLU (Rejected)
- DREXEL (Rejected)
- Loyola (Rejected)
- UF (Rejected)
- TULANE (Rejected)
- MCW (Rejected)
- FIU (Rejected)
- Fsu (Rejected)
- FAU (Rejected)
- Miami (Rejected)
- USF (Rejected)
- OU-HCOM- (Rejected)
- LECOM- Erie (Rejected)
DO schools
- LECOM- Seton hill (Done)
- LECOM- Elmira (Done)
- NYIT-AR (Done)
- UP-KYCOM- (Done)
- PCOM-GA- (Done)
- LMU-DCOM(Done)
- PCOM-SGA (Done)
- PCOM - PA (Done)
- WCU-COM (Done)
- MD Schools
- Seton Hall (Done)
Last edited: