This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harino45

Reaction score
[.]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hard to say, but personally I would do a DIY post bacc and save your money. I used to really want to do one of those programs... I interviewed with JHU’s, but I am glad I did DIY. Save your money, take some bonus classes like cell physiology or genetics, and work your butt off. You’ll have just as much of a chance as anyone else if you get good grades and kill the mcat.

Hard to say, but personally I would do a DIY post bacc and save your money. I used to really want to do one of those programs... I interviewed with JHU’s, but I am glad I did DIY. Save your money, take some bonus classes like cell physiology or genetics, and work your butt off. You’ll have just as much of a chance as anyone else if you get good grades and kill the mcat.

What're your thoughts on the extension schools (Berkeley, Harvard etc.)? They seem to offer the structure/prestige of the formal post-bacc's but the affordability/flexibility of a DIY approach.

Members don't see this ad :)
What're your thoughts on the extension schools (Berkeley, Harvard etc.)? They seem to offer the structure/prestige of the formal post-bacc's but the affordability/flexibility of a DIY approach.
I was also going to apply to HES... I lived in the area. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to do a DIY at your state school. Save your money. You’ll be happy you did. I had a great experience with my local state school and would do it again 100x. Can I ask why you’re so set on a formal post bacc? A lot of times they’re very expensive, grades can be very deflated, and they don’t offer a lot of flexibility.

Reactions: 1 user
I was also going to apply to HES... I lived in the area. Your best bet, in my opinion, is to do a DIY at your state school. Save your money. You’ll be happy you did. I had a great experience with my local state school and would do it again 100x. Can I ask why you’re so set on a formal post bacc? A lot of times they’re very expensive, grades can be very deflated, and they don’t offer a lot of flexibility.

It seemed to me like these formal ones have a much higher chance of success. In addition to guidance for classes and ECs, some even have linkage programs, and most only take a year. I'd like to avoid taking classes for more than a year if at all possible. The money isn't a huge issue, as I'm fortunate to have a job that'll allow me to save up more than enough.

I don't know if I would do well in planning my path doing a DIY and wanted to avoid the risk of screwing my odds. Also, would taking a class at a lesser known state school that's perhaps less academically rigorous still hold the same weight as doing well at a formal post bac?

Can I ask why you’re so set on a formal post bacc?

Pretty much the same reasons harino45 mentioned. Most notably the (perceived) higher success rates and ability to save at least a year (potentially more if you're able to score admission via a linkage). Spending $25k extra to increase my chance of getting into medical school is worth it to me. It's a marginal difference in the end.

I'm aware that they're expensive and lack flexibility, but where did you hear that they are grade deflated?

Pretty much the same reasons harino45 mentioned. Most notably the (perceived) higher success rates and ability to save at least a year (potentially more if you're able to score admission via a linkage). Spending $25k extra to increase my chance of getting into medical school is worth it to me. It's a marginal difference in the end.

I'm aware that they're expensive and lack flexibility, but where did you hear that they are grade deflated?

I could be remembering wrong, it’s been a while, but Columbia comes to mind when I hear grade deflation. In the past I have heard it is ruthless. It could’ve changed. I decided not to attend and did an informal instead. But it would behoove you to do some searching on these forums. Also if you want to know why schools like JHU, Goucher and Bryn Mawr have such high success rates, it’s because the people they accept could already make it into medical school without the program. These programs are not for people who need reinvention... it’s for high performing students. I get a little confused on why people do formal post baccs saying they need help being organized. If you’re an adult and have been through college, it’s really quite easy. Do a search on here, but the sequence is pretty cut and dry. Not much room for interpretation... also that’s what advisors exist for at these schools. I did my post bacc at a very large public school and had no problems. If you’re relying on a formal post bacc as your ticket into medical school, you need to do your soul searching. It’s hard no matter what.

Last edited:
It seemed to me like these formal ones have a much higher chance of success. In addition to guidance for classes and ECs, some even have linkage programs, and most only take a year. I'd like to avoid taking classes for more than a year if at all possible. The money isn't a huge issue, as I'm fortunate to have a job that'll allow me to save up more than enough.

I don't know if I would do well in planning my path doing a DIY and wanted to avoid the risk of screwing my odds. Also, would taking a class at a lesser known state school that's perhaps less academically rigorous still hold the same weight as doing well at a formal post bac?

Be careful with linkages and read the fine print. For example at Columbia, they had many linkage programs but most required an undergrad GPA of above 3.6 in addition to a stellar post bacc grade

Although it may be tempting to apply to formal programs, doing a DIY post-bacc will save you a lot of money. I did consider leaving to another state just for the name of the school, but after doing some research all it matters is that you can ace your classes and prove your academic ability. Medical school is already expensive as it is.

Although it may be tempting to apply to formal programs, doing a DIY post-bacc will save you a lot of money. I did consider leaving to another state just for the name of the school, but after doing some research all it matters is that you can ace your classes and prove your academic ability. Medical school is already expensive as it is.

I do want to give that idea full due consideration. So would I just make sure to take all the required classes, the MCAT and apply?

Is guidance counseling really the only major difference of a formal program?

I do want to give that idea full due consideration. So would I just make sure to take all the required classes, the MCAT and apply?

Have you not taken any of the required classes? If not, I know someone in your position. All they did was take the required classes at a nearby university and killed the MCAT. At the university, you can find guidance counseling if you want, but everything is pretty much straightforward. Ace your classes and get letters of recommendation from your professors. If you are fine with spending a lot on a post-bacc please don't let me stop you.

You will have guidance counseling either way. I applied as a second degree seeking student as a biology major (even though I didn't finish the major, obviously) and was assigned a biology advisor. She helped me when I first started back figure out which classes would be good. Also, most universities have some sort of a premed advisor or program. They can help with questions on applications and the whole process. To be completely honest, I learned just about everything I needed to know by doing my research on here and Reddit. If you have a question, it's likely been answered multiple times on these sites. The search bar is a powerful tool. I personally did not see any advantages towards linkages. I can only speak for Columbia, but their linkages were contingent on uGPA. Linkages are not a free pass into a school. More often than not, they require a strong uGPA... and if they don't, then the program the students are coming from has weeded out the low GPA people in the first place. Again, there's no easy ticket into medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
I could be remembering wrong, it’s been a while, but Columbia comes to mind when I hear grade deflation. In the past I have heard it is ruthless. It could’ve changed. I decided not to attend and did an informal instead. But it would behoove you to do some searching on these forums. Also if you want to know why schools like JHU, Goucher and Bryn Mawr have such high success rates, it’s because the people they accept could already make it into medical school without the program. These programs are not for people who need reinvention... it’s for high performing students. I get a little confused on why people do formal post baccs saying they need help being organized. If you’re an adult and have been through college, it’s really quite easy. Do a search on here, but the sequence is pretty cut and dry. Not much room for interpretation... also that’s what advisors exist for at these schools. I did my post bacc at a very large public school and had no problems. If you’re relying on a formal post bacc as your ticket into medical school, you need to do your soul searching. It’s hard no matter what.

I have heard nothing but bad things about Columbia's and would never consider applying there. It's nice to hear this decision affirmed once again.

I understand that is why they have such high success rates. It would be lovely to benefit from them.

For me, it's not a matter of them helping me organize my course of study. It's a peace of mind/mental thing. Knowing that school and pre-med activities are all I have to focus on would allow me to do better in my courses, research, MCAT etc. Contrast that with simply adding classes to my schedule, and I fear they won't get the attention they deserve as I'll be busy with other work/life issues.

I am not relying on it. I am hoping to use it for its intended purpose.

I would still like everyone's input on where extension schools fit into this debate. @DarklingThrush you mentioned you considered applying to HES...what made you decide against it, especially being in the area and bothering to interview at JHUs?

I guess what I’m saying is that you likely won’t reap the benefits of a linkage at JHU, Bryn Mawr or Goucher. At least a few years ago, you cGPA is far too low. Also your sGPA being lower will scare them away.

Personally I can’t remember why I decided against HES... the cost likely and you have to pay for a committee letter if I remember correctly. I wasn’t really digging it. Also if you’re thinking of HES solely because of the name, I don’t think it really helps all that much. You can do some searching on here if people who did it and that can help you with your decision. I was a brand new non traditional at the time and hadn’t done my research completely. I was stuck like you on doing a formal post bacc. I highly advise you to do your research on here before deciding.

I still don’t understand your reasoning. You’d be a full time student at one of these formal post baccs and get ZERO financial aid, or you could be a full time student at a local state university and get financial aid. Only YOU can make yourself do the work. It’s not really the post bacc that’s going to save you. Try studying for the mcat with that mindset. It’s straight up discipline formal post bacc or not.

Again.. the formal post bacc really is almost no different than doing it yourself. You still have to do the work. You still have to do the grades. No one is going to hold your hand through medical school.

I finished a one year formal career changer postbac program in the spring of 2017 and just started med school. I was looking for a formal program for the some of the same reasons you mentioned: wanting everything neatly packaged in a year to minimize the time to med school, being in a program that would prep me well for the MCAT, and wanting the advising and a program with a proven record of getting students into medical school. I also know myself and knew the structure would help me, and I didn’t want to be one in a sea of faces in huge lectures. I got a great committee letter out of the program and advising that was spot on, much better than the advising I received from my undergrad institution. Bottom-line: for me it was 100% worth it.

If you apply early to the programs you mentioned and have good extracurriculars, you may have a small chance, but they definitely do maintain their high med school acceptance rates by only admitting outstanding students. I’d suggest you cast your net a little wider - there are plenty of other solid career changer postbacs that aren’t quite as selective as the ones at the tippy top. Try looking in this database so you can see what’s available: Postbaccalaureate - AAMC . If you are interested in programs with linkages, make sure to figure out what the requirements are as you may not be eligible. I realized while applying to postbac programs that I simply would not be a good candidate for a linkage, and that I would be a much better applicant if I (hopefully) applied with stellar postbac grades and a great MCAT score enhancing my record, so I applied to plenty of programs without linkages as well.

I’ve heard great things about HES. It makes the most sense if you already live in the area. Same for Berkeley. Given the issues with state residency when applying to med school and how helpful it can be to have residency in a state with good state medical school options, moving to CA or MA shortly before applying is probably not the best move.